UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest LLLucas

Hello All! I've been considering buying this phone, and now I'd better, since I've spent half a day reading about it. I did not make it through all 43 pages of this discussion though. I did have an idea for an alternative to actual GPS (insert hateful comment about verizion not letting it's paying customers use the hardware they paid for) I have heard a little bit about WGPS location, using the wi-fi identifiers to show your location. http://www.skyhookwireless.com/ makes an API using this. I thought of this because the omnia has wifi. Good luck and keep up the good discussion.

Guest DeepBlueEditor

You guys all know they released the SDK for this one this week right? Just want to make sure you have any of the tools you might need to help out. Not sure there's anything in it to help this situation but I'm no code monkey either.

Good luck guys. We're all counting on you.

S.

Guest Wiggles603

Is there anymore to that Verizon unlocking the gps chip?

I'd like to run Copilot 7 for trucks, but not sure if I'll need to buy an external gps receiver. (Seems kind of silly, that I paid for a phone with a gps chip and can't use it...)

Guest PPC Dev
Hello All! I've been considering buying this phone, and now I'd better, since I've spent half a day reading about it. I did not make it through all 43 pages of this discussion though. I did have an idea for an alternative to actual GPS (insert hateful comment about verizion not letting it's paying customers use the hardware they paid for) I have heard a little bit about WGPS location, using the wi-fi identifiers to show your location. http://www.skyhookwireless.com/ makes an API using this. I thought of this because the omnia has wifi. Good luck and keep up the good discussion.

What? What? WTF? Please tell me you're kidding. Do a little more research on your "WGPS" before you compare this to true GPS.

Guest somedude
For those of you that want another avenue to tell Verizon to stop locking the GPS, there are community forums that Verizon has set up. Go there and let them know you want your GPS! http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/

thanks, i see there is already a thread started.

ill be on my way over there to curse verizon out. Ill probably get banned but i dont care at this point.

i say we flood the message boards with omnia gps threads.

Guest somedude
For those of you that want another avenue to tell Verizon to stop locking the GPS, there are community forums that Verizon has set up. Go there and let them know you want your GPS! http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/

wow, there are a ton of post over there now. hopefully this will put more pressure on the powers that be to release this fix!

Edited by somedude

Guest szinski
wow, there are a ton of post over there now. hopefully this will put more pressure on the powers that be to release this fix!

Yeah, unfortunately most of the posts are just rants.

Verizon said in their press release that the phone would be unlocked sometime during the first half of 2009. That means they still have three more months to make good on their word.

It serves us no purpose to rant about this until they've actually broken their word. So let's all just sit back and wait until July 1 before we start complaining. :-)

Guest maldonj1
Yeah, unfortunately most of the posts are just rants.

Verizon said in their press release that the phone would be unlocked sometime during the first half of 2009. That means they still have three more months to make good on their word.

It serves us no purpose to rant about this until they've actually broken their word. So let's all just sit back and wait until July 1 before we start complaining. :-)

guys, all you need to do is everyone pick a day to call verizon customer support and ask them ALL AT ONCE or within a 3hr span why the gps is locked and when its going to be unlocked, its costs verizon 18.00 to handle a call so imagine a few thousand people calling at once, day after day, they WILL get the idea, they WILL start losing money, and they WILL unlock the gps, instead of sitting on their asses.

Guest jjfs85
guys, all you need to do is everyone pick a day to call verizon customer support and ask them ALL AT ONCE or within a 3hr span why the gps is locked and when its going to be unlocked, its costs verizon 18.00 to handle a call so imagine a few thousand people calling at once, day after day, they WILL get the idea, they WILL start losing money, and they WILL unlock the gps, instead of sitting on their asses.

You pick the time and day and post the number and I'll call.

Guest somedude

Wow, this is a great idea!

Lets organize this movement, im tired of waiting.

Maybe we can set a date 3 weeks from now? Get a list of people to sign up, and have them call at specific times of the day?

LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Guest maldonj1

heres the number off their website

<H3 class=tertiaryHeadline1>Customer Service</H3>Dial *611 from your cell phone or

(800) 922-0204

Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm

can a moderator start a poll for a good date, time really wont matter since its probably going to hammer them all day, or within a few hours is good too.

Guest Chainfire

Anyone have an i910 rom dump available?

Also this is not clear to me - is the i910 only sold by Verizon, or do other carriers also have it (proper version with GPS) ?

I got a few ideas about this... I don't have an i910 but I do have an i900. If I can get a dump I can look at it - no promises - I'm far from a b00n in this area.

Edited by Chainfire

Guest WoZZeR999

Closest thing I could create was the windows folder rom dump. Verizon is the only carrier right now that has the i910, but BELL may come out with one in the future. No word on if it will have proper GPS. Let me know if there is anything you need for you to help us out.

Guest Echew
Closest thing I could create was the windows folder rom dump. Verizon is the only carrier right now that has the i910, but BELL may come out with one in the future. No word on if it will have proper GPS. Let me know if there is anything you need for you to help us out.

Your ears must be rinnging.. This just came out today and i started a thread about it...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/03/19/...omnia-in-april/

Guest rosenhauer

I'm having problems searching through this monster thread. But I thought I read a while back that some people had CellID working on the i910. Can anybody confirm this and if so what needs to be done to get it to work.

I'm waiting with baited breath for GPS (using external BT one now) but I'd like to get CommMgrPro working to handle my profiles at work and home.

Guest felix300z

actually it looks like att is bring an omnia equivalent to att so we'll have to watch next month and see how similar this upcoming phone is to the omnia, look at the pic in this link it's def an omnia, maybe that will have gps unlocked and help us hack it.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/03/19/...-coming-to-att/

heres a quick pic of it, looks like an omnia to me, it's called an Eternity

samsung-offers-up-orig.jpg

more images here near the bottom with touchwiz and att boxing

http://www.phonews.net/photos/Hands-On-wit...ne-3348292.html

Edited by felix300z

Guest Chainfire

Right, I did get my hands on an i910 dump, seems the complete GPS subsystem is a bit different. I'll have to look at it some more. I will probably need a reg dump in a few days just to check a few things out (I will supply the right tool). There's some RIL stuff to consider as well... Blah. Hope I'm up to this B)

Guest insomiack

$18 per call?? wow... pick a day and ill call a couple times...