UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest absolutly
I'm almost positive in this ROM, the GPS is unlocked, but the data is still encrypted (Hence why one person said Live! showed them in the ocean, like when we would run Google Maps with GPSTest and have similar results)

We just need to figure out how to decrypt the GPS code into something usable, which, I guess is where we were before, but this just confirms that the GPS is (kind of) unlocked.

Could it be that Verizon will (in the very near future) make app developers pay to use the GPS? Then they can just give developers a key by which to decode the location info. I wouldn't be surprised.

Guest szinski

Here are my thoughts about the GPS.

In addition to unlocked GPS in firmware, Verizon will need to release a new version of VZ Navigator to work with it. Think about it... the current version of VZ Navigator is expecting an encrypted GPS data stream.

So, it seems logical to assume that any pre-release firmware be able to work with existing apps. So, while the GPS hardware is unhidden in this new firmware version, the data must be encrypted (as currently) so that the existing version of VZ Navigator will function properly.

Just my $0.02.

Guest WoZZeR999
Here are my thoughts about the GPS.

In addition to unlocked GPS in firmware, Verizon will need to release a new version of VZ Navigator to work with it. Think about it... the current version of VZ Navigator is expecting an encrypted GPS data stream.

So, it seems logical to assume that any pre-release firmware be able to work with existing apps. So, while the GPS hardware is unhidden in this new firmware version, the data must be encrypted (as currently) so that the existing version of VZ Navigator will function properly.

Just my $0.02.

VZNav uses a different method of getting GPS data. It goes through a few Auths' that GPSTest doesn't, it also uses LBSDriver.dll, which work differently. People who have gotten VZNav to run and crash it, can get a valid GPS coor using google maps (long process, doesn't always work), which leads me to believe that VZNav does not use encrypted data. Once I can get my data working again, I have a few new things I want to try.

Guest M Moogle
People who have gotten VZNav to run and crash it, can get a valid GPS coor using google maps (long process, doesn't always work), which leads me to believe that VZNav does not use encrypted data.

This is the first I've heard of this. From the way its understood that the GPS encryption works, this isn't possible. Do you have a reference?

Guest WoZZeR999
This is the first I've heard of this. From the way its understood that the GPS encryption works, this isn't possible. Do you have a reference?

It was somewhere in this thread.

I've run VZNav through IDA, and it uses DLL's that the Windows intermediate driver does not use. People have also gotten the gps to move after VZNav was crashed, where GPSTest has to get a new handshake for each update (from what the logs look like).

So VZnav would set the GPS to raw mode (or something similar), and would allow for updated GPS coords until next handshake was needed.

Guest Echew

Ok, before I go killing myself trying to pin down how to get the Enhanced GPS to show in control pannel, does anyone have the registry keys to do this. I've been through this 70+ pages, and the parts in the beginig were very confusing and don't work for the 910 (verizon omnia)...

Guest necosino
Ok, before I go killing myself trying to pin down how to get the Enhanced GPS to show in control pannel, does anyone have the registry keys to do this. I've been through this 70+ pages, and the parts in the beginig were very confusing and don't work for the 910 (verizon omnia)...

Look below here to the left.. See that "Enter Keywords" box? Type in External GPS, then the answer will present itself :excl:

Guest drewbax

I know this is my first post here and yoo all might not believe me, but I have my GPS working perfectly on my new flashed Omnia i910. I flashed it incorrectly with the two boxes checked and lost all comms on it. I call VZ support and told them that my phone doesn't call out anymore and they fixed it over the phone.

I have iGO8 R3 and i was just going to lunch and decided to try it again. Low and behold it locked on to 11 sats and it was tracking me perfectly. All the way to Taco Bell and back. I had plenty of time to confirm this since I was stuck in Masters traffic for about an hour on a 30 minute lunch break.

IT WORKS FOR ME :excl:

Guest key5000

Look at the post #1056 @ page 53

Guest Echew
I know this is my first post here and yoo all might not believe me, but I have my GPS working perfectly on my new flashed Omnia i910. I flashed it incorrectly with the two boxes checked and lost all comms on it. I call VZ support and told them that my phone doesn't call out anymore and they fixed it over the phone.

I have iGO8 R3 and i was just going to lunch and decided to try it again. Low and behold it locked on to 11 sats and it was tracking me perfectly. All the way to Taco Bell and back. I had plenty of time to confirm this since I was stuck in Masters traffic for about an hour on a 30 minute lunch break.

Reflashing again... :excl:

Guest Echew

MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE

Edited by Echew

Guest key5000

I'm glad to heard that :excl:

Would you please let me know what is the com port setting for GPS?

Thanks

KEY

Guest klinc

Lol.. after all that work I did trying to avoid calling them I guess I should have jsut called them. I wonder if they will wonder if somethign is up if they start getting a rash of calls with a bunch of poeple not being able to dial out in their omnias all the sudden.

Edited by klinc

Guest necosino

Did you try using the GPS before getting your phone re-validated? I'll flash my phone with the options checked when I get home from work and see what happens. Any way you could snap a few shots of your phone in action? Or better yet a youtube video?

Guest Echew
Lol.. after all that work I did trying to avoid calling them I guess I should have jsut called them. I wonder if they will wonder if somethign is up if they start getting a rash of calls with a bunch of poeple not being able to dial out in their omnias all the sudden.

I wonder if thats what the Phone Bootloader is for - the radio files itself???? Would make perfect sense to me. Will find out as soon as min is done reflashing with both check boxes checked. I will install WLS again and take it outside for a bit and see if I get a fix.

Guest necosino

Echew, if you can replicate results, I'd like you to then reflash using JUST bootloader, test, and if it works, then we know. Otherwise if it doesnt work, flash again with JUST initialize phone and test. Because I think it'll be one or the other, most likely the boot loader, like you said.

Guest drewbax

First off,

I still can't use data on the phone unless it is wireless, checked that on the Taco Bell free wifi. BT still works, and calling still works. I needs to call tech support back or go to the VZ store (ugh).

The port is 8 with a baud of 57600. Before the FW update it would find this same thing but would never get a fix. Now the fix is almost instananeous and is flawless. Also with it plugged into the car charger the program runs at about 60fps in 3d mode, it's awesome.

Hope that helps, guys and gals. If anyone could tell me how to get my data back I get the stupid invalid password crap.

It is currently @

(my number)@vzw3g.com

p/w = blank

domain = blank

Guest klinc
The port is 8 with a baud of 57600. Before the FW update it would find this same thing but would never get a fix. Now the fix is almost instananeous and is flawless. Also with it plugged into the car charger the program runs at about 60fps in 3d mode, it's awesome.

I can confirm.... I jsut went outside and set the GPS manually to COM8 and baud of 57600 and in less than a minute I had my location found in google maps.

I did nothing to the phone other than that change in google maps.

It locked onto 3 satalites and placed me on the map. I then ran back in a posted.

Edited by klinc

Guest necosino
First off,

I still can't use data on the phone unless it is wireless, checked that on the Taco Bell free wifi. BT still works, and calling still works. I needs to call tech support back or go to the VZ store (ugh).

Hope that helps, guys and gals. If anyone could tell me how to get my data back I get the stupid invalid password crap.

It is currently @

(my number)@vzw3g.com

p/w = blank

domain = blank

You can either go online and swap your ESN with a different phone, wait like 5 mins, program other phone, wait 5 minutes, and switch back to the Omnia. or, you can call tech support and ask them to re-validate your phone..

So it may be that its either we get GPS, or we get data? Hmm...

Maybe GPS on disables data, and vice versa!?

Guest DeepBlueEditor
I can confirm.... I jsut went outside and set the GPS manually to COM8 and baud of 57600 and in less than a minute I had my location found in google maps.

I did nothing to the phone other than that change in google maps.

Looks like it's time to do a complete tutorial on all the files, software, settings used in the flash as well as any backup options before flashing and then a quickie on setting the correct settings for making the GPS functions appear. We're standing by for the final results and write up. I may do this tonight then.

So, in the end we actually do owe a lot of thanks to Aztegra (sp?)

Good show all so far.

S

Guest necosino

AznTegra* Yes.. I wonder what happened to him..

Before we start the write up.. Klink, do you have phone/data access or is it locked out like last time? I want to progress slowly here. If you can't get data, would you be willing to flash AGAIN but checking the bootloader and NOT the initialize phone?

Guest klinc
Looks like it's time to do a complete tutorial on all the files, software, settings used in the flash as well as any backup options before flashing and then a quickie on setting the correct settings for making the GPS functions appear. We're standing by for the final results and write up. I may do this tonight then.

So, in the end we actually do owe a lot of thanks to Aztegra (sp?)

Good show all so far.

S

Yes, I have made no changes since flashing and fixing the no calls/no internet issues I had a few hours ago. He posted about settig ti to manual and figured I would go out and give it a try set to manual. Google maps bounces between 3-5 satallite locks as I stand behind the office here.

Guest WoZZeR999

I figured that the you had to update the phone rom to unlock the GPS (use a firmware that doesn't encrpyt data). I'll try the phone switch and everything when I got home. An hour and a half seems so far away!

Guest klinc
AznTegra* Yes.. I wonder what happened to him..

Before we start the write up.. Klink, do you have phone/data access or is it locked out like last time? I want to progress slowly here. If you can't get data, would you be willing to flash AGAIN but checking the bootloader and NOT the initialize phone?

Jsut to verify.... I jsut made a call andwhile getting GPS locks in google maps I was browsing the map so I had internet connection at the same time as google download themap on the fly wile you are viewing it.

Guest necosino
Jsut to verify.... I jsut made a call andwhile getting GPS locks in google maps I was browsing the map so I had internet connection at the same time as google download themap on the fly wile you are viewing it.

That is super! Will someone that has been through the whole process succesfully (Downloading the files, apps, flashing, etc) write up a step-by-step guide that we can post in a new topic? Or can a Mod change the title to something like "We Finally Did It!!!" and we'll post the step-by-step here.