Hot Omnia

Guest lostingps

Guest lostingps

Hi I recently experienced alot of issues with my Omnia charging.

I have since nailed it down to a Hot Device, when I use say GPS and the backlight is on in the car the device seems to get hot and after it gets to hot the device stops charging until you soft reset the device.

Can anyone confirm if there devices get hot whilst using it as a navigation device plugged into a car charger?

I am sure this will also relate a great deal to why we are not getting full charge out of USB as it seems to get hot when on USB as well so it disables the charging circuit.

Any one else have this issue or not have this issue?

This is a known issue. People hav been complaining from day 1. Look the secany's rom toppic. :)

Yes the device does get hot if you use gps or wlan. But i haven't experienced any irregular charging. And charging via usb doesn't charge the device fully (as also noted by people on this forum).

i still have to buy a car charger so i can't tell you about that.

Edited by bpivk

Guest lostingps

When you say there has been no issue of irregular charging if the device gets hot then it should disable. So I would assume alot of the battery issues posted here are all due to the device becoming hot and disabling the charger?

I could be wrong but I guess I am trying to decide wether this is a complete design fault or just a faulty phone I have received?

Thanks!

So I would assume alot of the battery issues posted here are all due to the device becoming hot and disabling the charger?

No. Omnia has some voltage (or cable) problems when you charge via USB. I don't know eaxctly because i don't use USB to charge my phone so i just glanced at the topic when it was discussed. You can find it on page 2 i think or just search for it (keywoards usb charge). 

Guest lostingps

OK thanks for the reply.

In relation to the Omnia getting hot has any experienced this?

I know people have talked about it getting hot but what about when it used to navigate in the car? Have other people had the Omnia car charger disable when it gets hot?

I guess I am trying to decide wether the phone should be sent back to Samsung for repair or get my refund as the device is unusable as a navigation tool if it is going to disable the charger everytime it gets hot?

Guest thetwiztidfreak

You do know car chargers kill your battery life right? they are a rapid charge and is not good on your battery to use all the time. atleast not recommended by verizon.

Guest X-Ray A4T

I have moved the position of my Omnia screen cradle so I can redirect one of the air vents to blow cold air from the aircon over the phone. I also move it forward in the cradle so there is an air gap behind it too. This helps a bit.

Guest lostingps
You do know car chargers kill your battery life right? they are a rapid charge and is not good on your battery to use all the time. atleast not recommended by verizon.

While I realise your statement has some truths, my issue is that the phone disables the charger continuously and does not even allow me to really charge the phone at all.

Guest lostingps
I have moved the position of my Omnia screen cradle so I can redirect one of the air vents to blow cold air from the aircon over the phone. I also move it forward in the cradle so there is an air gap behind it too. This helps a bit.

I noticed on the Samsung Australia site they have a special holder for the Omnia which seems to be very light and small.

It seems they are aware of the issue and similar to what you have done they have designed a holder to increase airflow and cooling capacity.

I just tested this again in cooler weather as the temprature has come down, this time the battery had 70%, plugged it in and charged for about 1/2 hour and became fully charged!!!!!

BUT once it fully charged it disabled the charger :)

Why does it disable it once its fully charged?

Guest alvinezz
I noticed on the Samsung Australia site they have a special holder for the Omnia which seems to be very light and small.

It seems they are aware of the issue and similar to what you have done they have designed a holder to increase airflow and cooling capacity.

special holder, as in car cradle/holder? I couldnt find it in Samsung Australia site.. can u pls gimme the exact link?

I might need this for my Omnia for car navigation purpose..

Dont worry about it.. I have found it =P

Any idea where to buy it though? I live in Sydney btw

Cheers

Edited by alvinezz

Guest dwallersv
I just tested this again in cooler weather as the temprature has come down, this time the battery had 70%, plugged it in and charged for about 1/2 hour and became fully charged!!!!!

70%? That's interesting... my 910 never shows anything but 20% increments in terms of battery capacity. Also, it decides the battery is critically low at 40%, which seems kind of over-cautious (I know this is a known problem).

Basically, I find the power-remaining algorithm to be nearly useless in actually managing my charging behavior. I just charge it any time I can, home or car (and contrary to what someone said above, it is not risky at all to use the car charger all the time... charging is managed by the Omnia hardware, and cuts off when the LION cell reaches about 4.2-4.3V, no matter what the charging source).

Guest apache01

I have exactly the same issue as you while using GPS navigation & car charging in the same time. Every 10 mins. Omnia disabled charging & sometimes after soft reset it still refuse to recharge & i have to wait until the phone cool down.

With the new Samsung cradle, are you able to run GPS navigation & car charging in the same time ?

Guest angelinalove

samsung phones are not better regarding battery. Such issue may be find in these phones. Nokia is only reliable and well known mobile phone for battery life.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dendy

Had the same problem B) Omnia did not charge after 30 minutes of using gps in the car !!!

This is really bulls..t, I bought this phone for navigation purposes in the car and now it is useles, because on battery it runs for about 2 hours only. Any solution on this? Some other chargers? Or holders?

Thanks.

Guest Chugworth

For the record, the above statement is total crap. Especially since Verizon themselves has a good selection of car chargers:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/a...ower%20Chargers

There's nothing special about a car changer that makes it any worse than an AC adapter. Just make sure the power output is correct for your phone.