New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest dtweezy

hey BamDastard! Thank you so much for posting this info. i tried it out this morning and I LOVE it! works great. frees up more memory while giving more features. Awsome. One thing you missed though...we now have multiple mouse cursors to use. <_< cool...i guess. has anyone figure out what the text message retry thing is. haven't found a use for it yet.

as far as the gps goes though...i think it's still disabled. i tried google maps and windows live search and still can't get a lock. has anyone seen other forums with a fix for this.

thanks again BamDastard!

Guest Chumley23
hey BamDastard! Thank you so much for posting this info. i tried it out this morning and I LOVE it! works great. frees up more memory while giving more features. Awsome. One thing you missed though...we now have multiple mouse cursors to use. <_< cool...i guess. has anyone figure out what the text message retry thing is. haven't found a use for it yet.

as far as the gps goes though...i think it's still disabled. i tried google maps and windows live search and still can't get a lock. has anyone seen other forums with a fix for this.

thanks again BamDastard!

GPS through Google maps with satellite view is showing me where I am to within about 10 feet.

Make sure in settings GPS location is on.

Settings > Phone > Services > GPS > Change settings > Location on

Guest dtweezy
I flashed it successfully, but I have a small problem thats kinda of annoying. Seems like my SMS is messed up. Everytime or most of the time I SEND a txt message my inbox or outlook acts like if its received a new message and what I mean is that it adds a (1) and highlights the message I just sent and it and puts it in bold. It's kind of annoying. Also I noticed that this may happen, because there is a blue highligh box that highlights a new message and it seems like it freezes on the old message and the new message that I just sent is treated as a new inbox message. Also new messages seem to be 1 minute behind on the timestamp, so Im guessing that its lagging and its freezing somehow. So can I reset outlook or something? I soft resested and nothing. By the way I backed up my old txt messages for some reason so I think that might be the issue? any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, does GPS just not work indoors? Seems like we have a weak gps chip or something because my friends iphone locates itself fast on google maps. Thanks.

i flashed my phone and everything works fine. still tinkering around with the gps though, but it's good to know it does in fact work. doesn't help being in a crapy service area though. as far as your texting problems...my omnia was doing that crap BEFORE i flashed it. the flashed actually fixed the issues i was having. my time stamp was actually a few hours behind and my sent message would show as bold and new until the vzw server picked it up. maybe just try doing a hard reset and see if that fixes it. if not maybe reflash the phone. im not super experienced with this stuff but it is ironic that i had the same problem without the flash.

Guest dtweezy
Anyone having stability issues with SPB Mobile Shell and this ROM? Everything worked fine stock, but after flashing, SPB mobile shell is locking up all over the place.

what release are you using? i'm using the latest release and works fine. i also use spb keyboard...i know some of you had talked about the new iphone-esk keyboard being laggy. you would really enjoy spb keyboard. or maybe try disableing the haptic feedback and tone feedback on the stock keyboard.

Guest christopher2787

I flashed the unlocked rom....but can not get google maps to work. I have switched my location on through the phone settings, have tried both windows managed and the have tried the recommended com 8 57600 baud settings to no avail. The VZ navigator is not working either despite being functional before the flash. I knew that would be a problem, bu am just speaking to the fact that I got reception earlier today through Verizon's lack luster alternative. Also I can not update the roaming via automated phone programming. The email will set up either despite using the previous settings. Is this a problem of authenticating the phone again?

Do I need to try different GPS programs? Any suggestions? I am at a lost. I can surf the web, make calls, and text. The other changes discussed in the previous posts work just fine. HELP!

Guest Bendage

Hey guys. Spent the last 4 hours reading pages 1 - 30 and got a little burnt out. I kept seeing May 11th for the official release but that date is past. Rather than reading the next 29 pages I thought I would just ask if anyone has any update on the official ROM release date.

I'm sure it has been talked about but dang, I am tired of reading.

Blazing Wolf... I gotta tell you man, you sure are patient. I can't tell you how many times I have seen you answer the same questions over and over and WITHOUT any sarcasm. You are a pretty cool guy.

Guest blazingwolf
Hey guys. Spent the last 4 hours reading pages 1 - 30 and got a little burnt out. I kept seeing May 11th for the official release but that date is past. Rather than reading the next 29 pages I thought I would just ask if anyone has any update on the official ROM release date.

Blazing Wolf... I gotta tell you man, you sure are patient. I can't tell you how many times I have seen you answer the same questions over and over and WITHOUT any sarcasm. You are a pretty cool guy.

Awww shucks. :)

Thanks. <_<

The May 11th date was an internet rumor that never paned out. We are still waiting for an official Verizon release. Though I must say that I'm not to worried about it since we have far better in cooked ROMs now anyways. B)

Guest Bendage
Awww shucks. :)

Thanks. <_<

The May 11th date was an internet rumor that never paned out. We are still waiting for an official Verizon release. Though I must say that I'm not to worried about it since we have far better in cooked ROMs now anyways. B)

Yeah. Sorry I just decided to pan out and saw the golden statue. Hahahahah! Too funny.

So from what I am reading, you and 2 other guys on here have made 6.5 roms based on the leaked. Who is getting the most kudos for which ROM after upgrading to the leaked one? Sorry don't mean to get off track here. Just trying to get caught up.

Guest blazingwolf
Yeah. Sorry I just decided to pan out and saw the golden statue. Hahahahah! Too funny.

So from what I am reading, you and 2 other guys on here have made 6.5 roms based on the leaked. Who is getting the most kudos for which ROM after upgrading to the leaked one? Sorry don't mean to get off track here. Just trying to get caught up.

LOL. <_<

Hmm, who gets the most kudos? I guess that would be WoZZeR. However, in my opinion it is best to make that decision on your own as each ROM has something different. There are 3 ROMs here and there is one ROM made by Adrynalyne located on PPCGeeks.com in the Omnia section. Look at them and flash to the one you think suits you the best. You could also install all of them then go back to the one that suits you the best. In the end only you know what you are looking for. :)

Guest christopher2787

Thanks for all the help....I agree with Bendage...blazingwolf has been really tolerant. Thank you. I got the gps up and running....now the weatherbug widget isn't functioning.

It just continues to attempt to load spinning incessantly. What could be causing this?

Guest blazingwolf
Thanks for all the help....I agree with Bendage...blazingwolf has been really tolerant. Thank you. I got the gps up and running....now the weatherbug widget isn't functioning.

It just continues to attempt to load spinning incessantly. What could be causing this?

Hmm, If I remember correctly this was do to the widget trying to auto connect. Tap on the spinning dial and set it to stop auto connecting. My memory could be failing on this one though.

Guest dtweezy
I flashed the unlocked rom....but can not get google maps to work. I have switched my location on through the phone settings, have tried both windows managed and the have tried the recommended com 8 57600 baud settings to no avail. The VZ navigator is not working either despite being functional before the flash. I knew that would be a problem, bu am just speaking to the fact that I got reception earlier today through Verizon's lack luster alternative. Also I can not update the roaming via automated phone programming. The email will set up either despite using the previous settings. Is this a problem of authenticating the phone again?

Do I need to try different GPS programs? Any suggestions? I am at a lost. I can surf the web, make calls, and text. The other changes discussed in the previous posts work just fine. HELP!

if you look back in the forum there's lots of info on this. i, personally, had trouble getting it to work at first too. I started on page one of this forum and worked my way all the way here and learned a lot of stuff. took me a few sleepless nights <_< , but it was worth it. but on to your issues...i installed two additional programs: First installed GPS test(just do a google search for it). when you use this you should be able to see the sat's(it will show even the weakest signal sgrenth). this at least lets you know if your gps is configured correct and working. take this around to diff places and stop when you get the best signal. then go back to google maps(set to com 8...btw...baud has to do with transfer rate, 57600 is a happy medium but shouldn't effect gps function) and you should be able to get a few locks. some people had complained about gm taking to long to get sat locks so the second programs kinda solves that. BAF GPS Toggle. this program runs on you today screen and can keep the gps turned on and also show you how many locks you have. that way when you go into gm your gps is already initialized. (i don't really see a diff, but it works for others. i kept it though since it's simple, functional and doesn't take up any resources) and don't worry about bat drain...it doesn't really effect it.

hope this made since to you. I'm usually more cohesive...and spell better :) ...but like is said: sleepless nights = another late night and not thinking clear. lol. it's deff gonna suck getting up in 5 hrs B)

edit: oh yeah forgot to mention...with the gps test...i have my settings on com8 and baud rate 9600...fyi

Edited by dtweezy

Guest dtweezy
GPS through Google maps with satellite view is showing me where I am to within about 10 feet.

Make sure in settings GPS location is on.

Settings > Phone > Services > GPS > Change settings > Location on

hey thanks. i did have it on actually. i looked through the forum and finally got it to work. it was pretty much poor reception. my laptop is conveniently located in the worst gps reception spot in my apt. lol. go firgure, huh.

Guest hypergig
why is megaupload link down???

... it looks like megaupload stopped serving this file:

"- The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of service."

...Any one have a mirror?

Also.. i was wondering if there was a way i could back back the oem rom or restore it from cd should things go horribly wrong?

Guest blazingwolf
... it looks like megaupload stopped serving this file:

"- The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of service."

...Any one have a mirror?

Also.. i was wondering if there was a way i could back back the oem rom or restore it from cd should things go horribly wrong?

Please read through the thread. There have been several more uploads as well you can get it from the idoctor site.

Guest hypergig
Please read through the thread. There have been several more uploads as well you can get it from the idoctor site.

Thanks for the torrent link, I'm downloading it right now. I searched the tread for anything that could help me restore the phone back to OEM should disaster strike, and i couldn't find anything. Do you know if there is a way to take a full image back up of the device using the UMDL software or something similar? I don't care about the settings, I just want to make sure I can get back to out-of-box if i need to.

Thanks!

Guest Ridger Wolf

I noticed something about the messaging. Did you notice that when you click on a txt message, it no longer takes you right to the Type Message box but directly to the actually message leaving the typing field minimized.

Anyone figure out how to fix the GPS still?

There are a few things i would like see changed, like when your typing a message, it doesn't popup and interrupt you when your typing a message to someone else.

The notification for network connection, would like it to not popup when i enter a non service area, its annoying to clear off when your using the GPS while driving and it takes up a chunk of the screen.

I wouldn't mind it if the ROM update was for Windows 6.5 (even though its still a BETA). I wondering if they will release the Windows 7.0 for the Omnia as an update? This phone has the potential to be GREAT but its just the software thats holding it back. (that and if it had a better processor).

I also wish they would have improved the camera software. like it being smarter when it using the flash to not wash stuff out. and the special features have better quality like the Panoramic and stiching and such.

GPS- btw, i use a Bluetooth GPS device i got off Ebay to be my GPS for my phone, it works well. Yes, it means you have to haul a seperate tihngs around, but it makes it nice. Work fine with Google and Live Search, but you have to know how to set it up though. thats all though.

Guest Bendage

Wow that was easy... very nice update.

Now to take advantage of all these cooked roms... I cannot find a link on how to update/flash a bin file. Can someone please point me to this?

Guest blazingwolf
Thanks for the torrent link, I'm downloading it right now. I searched the tread for anything that could help me restore the phone back to OEM should disaster strike, and i couldn't find anything. Do you know if there is a way to take a full image back up of the device using the UMDL software or something similar? I don't care about the settings, I just want to make sure I can get back to out-of-box if i need to.

Thanks!

There is no way to flash back to the stock ROM your phone came with. However, I seriously doubt any one at Verizon is going to know you flashed the phone if you go to the store with CC20 installed.

Guest blazingwolf
Wow that was easy... very nice update.

Now to take advantage of all these cooked roms... I cannot find a link on how to update/flash a bin file. Can someone please point me to this?

Usually, there are instructions in the first post of the cooked ROM. <_<

Guest yooj
I so badly want to do this. but I am worried about doing it. and THe pdf doesn't seem very clear to me. whats with the Chinese at the bottom. I am reading through posts trying to figure out where to download what and what to install where. Does anyone know if we will have any issues updating agian when the official release comes out?

anywho thanks to everyone for the help. and hard work.

fyi - Its not Chinese at the bottom of that PDF, its Korean, and in case you haven't already noticed, the phone is made by a Korean company, thus the instructions were done by... surprise! a Korean...

Guest mikewah83

if I flash the unofficial rom now... will I be able to upgrade to the official firmware later when its available? sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm new to the forum

Guest theidoctor.org
if I flash the unofficial rom now... will I be able to upgrade to the official firmware later when its available? sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm new to the forum

yes

Guest bearhntr

Blazing Wolf et al,

I am so F***ing frustrated with VERIZON right now over this whole 'official' ROM from them which was stated to be released MAY 11 to unlock the GPS features of the i910, I could scream.

I called VZW yesterday, and asked the lady on the phone what the deal was. She stated that she knew nothing at all about a NEW/UPDATED ROM for the i910. She said that she does not have any information at all about a NEW ROM.

I explained to her about the e-mail ersponse I personally got Mr. Steve Schimmel (or what ever his name was) about the FIRST HALF of 2009 release...told her that was 27 days away. I also expressed to her that if this ROM did not come out by that time, I would take that e-mail I got from him and hire an attorney to break my contract with VZW under the premise that I was sold 'crippled' hardware and that I aws promised a FIX for it - and it was not delivered upon.

The i900 (European version) is not locked down, and I have spoken with SAMSUNG about the i910. They state the models are identical with exception to the CDMA vs GSM technology and that VERIZON chose to lock out the GPS feature with software.

I explained to the tech agent at VZW yesterday, that the phone was manufactured with the GPS built in, and that VZW deliberately locked out the feature to milk another $10.00/month out its customers. Also stated that I was not very happy that I was REQUIRED to sign up for a DATA package when I got the phone (not that I would not use it) but to be told that I HAD TO HAVE IT was wrong.

I am leary to try the COOKED ROMS, as I have seen people BRICK their phone (have three friends that bricked their T-MOBILE MDA, MOTO Q, and a CINGULAR 8125). They most likely did it happ hazzardly, as I had a CINGULAR 3125 and after unlocking it, to use it on T-Mobile - I must have flashed the ROM about 20 times over a 2 year period when an update came out that I thought was cool. The 3125 (same as the MDA) came with WM5.0, when I switched to the OMNIA I was running WM6.1.

I so badly want to release all the features of my i910, but do not want to BRICK my phone.

**BH*