New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest Adrynalyne
I haven't flashed yet but have been following the other thread (UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - where the flash was originally posted) for months. I thought PHM was resident on the CC20? Do you now have two instances of PHM on your phone?

Also Asintegra posted that CB06 to be the original ROM. I received my i910 via online order in early Feb. and I have ROM Version BJ28. I think the units started shipping with an even earlier ROM version; the first i910s shipped with WM6.0.

There is a slight chance that the 11 May release from Verizon will include WM6.5. woohoo1.gif No, I don't have evidence of that but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. An added incentive to wait waiting.gif but if you don't it will fit right over CC20.

I climbed inside a computer to repair it the first time in the sixties. wheelchair.gif Renaming Data Processing "Information Technology" happened about 20 years later, during the "Political Correctness" revolution that saw the Personnel Department become Human Resources.

Ted

The first i910s shipped with 6.1, not winmo 6.0.

Guest jprowland

Successful and uneventful flash and I've been relatively satisfied so far. Years of playing with PCs and other devices have made me VERY skeptical of ROM flashes, but the positive results of people here along with the fact that this is was (supposedly) developed at Samsung and the official release is supposedly next month encouraged me along. I spent plenty of time getting everything in order, starting with a hard reset and following the instructions to a tee.

Everything seems to work fine except... no GPS. I've tried a few times and just about every suggestion and configuration mentioned here and on other sites, but nothing. I did get a signal ONCE that was something like 80m accuracy but it still kept trying to acquire a signal which made me suspect it was pulling a signal off the towers or something and not the internal GPS (or maybe I'm just spoiled by my stand-alone Garmin high-sensitivity unit with WAAS). Usually though, it's just nothing. I'll play around with it a little more tomorrow and try to be more patient with it... Still worth it IMO just for the working Samsung keyboard in the newest Google maps :excl: but looking forward to getting the GPS working.

At any rate waiting 5 minutes for a GPS signal as reported here borders on unacceptable in my book... small wonder VZW has claimed the argument so far that the GPS performance doesn't meet their standards of quality, I'd think twice too about releasing it as a product-- answering customer complaints would drive tech support bankrupt. Better than nothing for the hacking community, I suppose.

Some have mentioned improved kinetic scrolling in the Samsung apps but it doesn't seem any better to me. I haven't played around with the Easy Settings much but it looks like a nice addition... ANYTHING that hides more of Windows Mobile is a plus in my book. Did no one teach Microsoft (or most WinMo developers, for that matter) how to design a UI? But I digress :excl:

Running PointUI Home2 with a couple added applets and theme with no problems so far. No problems with a few other apps as well.

JP

Guest Adrynalyne
Successful and uneventful flash and I've been relatively satisfied so far. Years of playing with PCs and other devices have made me VERY skeptical of ROM flashes, but the positive results of people here along with the fact that this is was (supposedly) developed at Samsung and the official release is supposedly next month encouraged me along. I spent plenty of time getting everything in order, starting with a hard reset and following the instructions to a tee.

Everything seems to work fine except... no GPS. I've tried a few times and just about every suggestion and configuration mentioned here and on other sites, but nothing. I did get a signal ONCE that was something like 80m accuracy but it still kept trying to acquire a signal which made me suspect it was pulling a signal off the towers or something and not the internal GPS (or maybe I'm just spoiled by my stand-alone Garmin high-sensitivity unit with WAAS). Usually though, it's just nothing. I'll play around with it a little more tomorrow and try to be more patient with it... Still worth it IMO just for the working Samsung keyboard in the newest Google maps :excl: but looking forward to getting the GPS working.

At any rate waiting 5 minutes for a GPS signal as reported here borders on unacceptable in my book... small wonder VZW has claimed the argument so far that the GPS performance doesn't meet their standards of quality, I'd think twice too about releasing it as a product-- answering customer complaints would drive tech support bankrupt. Better than nothing for the hacking community, I suppose.

Some have mentioned improved kinetic scrolling in the Samsung apps but it doesn't seem any better to me. I haven't played around with the Easy Settings much but it looks like a nice addition... ANYTHING that hides more of Windows Mobile is a plus in my book. Did no one teach Microsoft (or most WinMo developers, for that matter) how to design a UI? But I digress :excl:

Running PointUI Home2 with a couple added applets and theme with no problems so far. No problems with a few other apps as well.

JP

No matter the provider--phones using straight gps without agps take longer to lock. I doubt Verizon would have any complaints with you paying 10 bucks a month for a crappy nav program and agps. The question is, would you?

Guest ardvarkofdoom
There is a slight chance that the 11 May release from Verizon will include WM6.5. woohoo1.gif No, I don't have evidence of that but I'm keeping my

"Microsoft announced the next version of Windows Mobile software, Windows Mobile 6.5, at the Mobile World Congress held February 16, 2009. This version is not yet available from mobile operators. Toward the end of 2009, see your mobile operator’s web site for dates and details on when they will make Windows Mobile 6.5 phones available. Or sign up to receive "Your Mobile World," a monthly newsletter that will keep you current. Today, Windows Mobile 6.1 phones are the most up to date and are available from many mobile operators worldwide. "

That's straight from Windows website... It would be nice to have WM 6.5 packaged in, but I highly doubt that they'll release it for many months

Guest Solange82200

JP Im having problems with the GPS as well. It just isnt reliable to me. I went to the local fair here in Miami today, and I was standing outside in a very open area and couldnt get anything. I left it searching as long as I could, until finally I got the message saying "GPS Signal is Weak" or something like that. Maybe Im nuts, but I liked VZ navigator and didn't mind paying for it on occasion (I would usually just plan on doing the 2.99 a day for when I need it, since most of the time Im just going from home to work and dont really travel much). It saved my butt once when I had to take my son to a kid's bday party in Miami Beach, which I have no idea how to get around there. It got me there with no problem. I really wish we had the option to still use it. Does anyone know why it doesnt work on this new rom? Why would unlocking the GPS make it so that VZ Nav doesnt work? Is it possible that maybe someone can play with the ROM and get it enabled? I know, based on how much everyone here hates paying for it, Im probably asking for too much there lol

Guest Adrynalyne
JP Im having problems with the GPS as well. It just isnt reliable to me. I went to the local fair here in Miami today, and I was standing outside in a very open area and couldnt get anything. I left it searching as long as I could, until finally I got the message saying "GPS Signal is Weak" or something like that. Maybe Im nuts, but I liked VZ navigator and didn't mind paying for it on occasion (I would usually just plan on doing the 2.99 a day for when I need it, since most of the time Im just going from home to work and dont really travel much). It saved my butt once when I had to take my son to a kid's bday party in Miami Beach, which I have no idea how to get around there. It got me there with no problem. I really wish we had the option to still use it. Does anyone know why it doesnt work on this new rom? Why would unlocking the GPS make it so that VZ Nav doesnt work? Is it possible that maybe someone can play with the ROM and get it enabled? I know, based on how much everyone here hates paying for it, Im probably asking for too much there lol

Did you redwonload it? I've read reports of VZNav working with this rom.

Guest Solange82200
Did you redwonload it? I've read reports of VZNav working with this rom.

DO you mean removing it from the programs and then clicking on the icon in Programs so that it downloads the cab again? If so, I will try that now. If anyone else wants to see what it does, you can click on it and download it and you wont be charged. Mine wont even let me get to the point where it offers you the payment options (2.99 per day or 10 per month). It just starts playing the va nav animation, and then it gives me an error message. I will report back with the exact message in a sec, I forgot what it was

Guest Jotalv

I just installed the new ROM without problems, but, where is my spanish XT9 dictionary :excl: ?

There is any way I can get the Spanish XT9 to appear again?

I only got English, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish.

Edited by Jotalv

Guest Adrynalyne
DO you mean removing it from the programs and then clicking on the icon in Programs so that it downloads the cab again? If so, I will try that now. If anyone else wants to see what it does, you can click on it and download it and you wont be charged. Mine wont even let me get to the point where it offers you the payment options (2.99 per day or 10 per month). It just starts playing the va nav animation, and then it gives me an error message. I will report back with the exact message in a sec, I forgot what it was

I dunno. Doesnt work for me either.

If I find the thread talking about getting it working, I will let you know.

I am starting to support the theory that Verizon kept this rom beta because their own pay for nav app won't work with it.

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest maxtcee
No matter the provider--phones using straight gps without agps take longer to lock. I doubt Verizon would have any complaints with you paying 10 bucks a month for a crappy nav program and agps. The question is, would you?

make sure you switch your gps setting to on and not only for 911 once i locked in it only takes about 5 seconds to lock each time after even in my basement

Guest maxtcee
I dunno. Doesnt work for me either.

If I find the thread talking about getting it working, I will let you know.

I am starting to support the theory that Verizon kept this rom beta because their own pay for nav app won't work with it.

whos rom release is this verizon? or did someone cook this up ?

Guest BamDastard
Not sure what you mean about having SPB Mobile Shell?

After the flash yes it works, you should really Hard reset your phore before you flash it.

The only issue I am having is the GPS won't work, but I think that is because I have not gone outside long enough to test.

Dude, don't play into the nerd stereotype! Go outside for a bit! :excl: j/k!!!

Guest Omega Ra
just gonna throw this out there, take it or leave it, but pointui home2 blows spb mobile shell out of the water. you should think of changing to that after the update. runs so perfectly smooth. and so very functional. back to topic, GREAT work on creating the rom. if someone could link the donate button to the chef i'd greatly appreciate it.

This wasn't cooked. This is a leaked official beta ROM. the cooking thread is elsewhere :excl:

Guest krelvinaz

I'd be surprised if VZNav works with the new Rom. I would expect that they will release a new version of it at the same time they release the Official Rom Upgrade as I doubt it can use the unlocked GPS. It is not expecting the GPS to be in the configuration it is in, and will be trying to Software Unlock it.

Guest Sunil Gangwani

Hi,

This is my first winmo phone and I flashed it successfully yday. No major problems and I am excited about being able to use the GPS functionality.

I was however having issues with tethering the internet to the PC via USB cable ( using the IntShrUI application). I keep getting a "cannot connect for unknown reason" error msg. I really liked that option especially as I tend to travel fairly frequently. I even tried to do it via Bluetooth but am getting the same error msg.

Any ideas people? Appreciate any help on this situation.

Guest Chris H11

I don't use VZNav, but just a suggestion, have you tried switching the GPS back to E911?

Hey, I just noticed.. There's NO Office Mobile edition installed!?!? Where is Word, Excel, etc!?

Mine has Office Mobile....

Edited by Chris H11

Guest Sunil Gangwani
that's new...I have the same program on my phone (new ROM as well) and I can tether just fine...

Maybe I will try to reinstall it and see if it does anything. Thanks for your response, at least now I know that it's not the ROM.

Guest necosino
I don't use VZNav, but just a suggestion, have you tried switching the GPS back to E911?

Mine has Office Mobile....

That's really weird... I reflashed and now it's there... huh :excl:

Guest Sunil Gangwani

Got the tethering to work!, like most things with microsoft, reinstalling and soft reset did the trick. This forum is awesome!! (I thought I would probably get a response by late evening or something)

Guest deshwal
JP Im having problems with the GPS as well. It just isnt reliable to me. I went to the local fair here in Miami today, and I was standing outside in a very open area and couldnt get anything. ..

I agree with you. The GPS does work but really bad. I guess a very crappy hardware. When using Garmin, the maximum I got is 4 satellites. I could not get the TomTom to work. I hope it is just software issue and can be fixed later.