The best GPS navigator for Omnia i910

Guest theidoctor.org

Guest somedude
anyone know how to install the igo 8?

i get an error code...

i get something like, failed to open file ui.igo8\120_200\loading bmp

Theres a work around for that error, i think you can download a file thats 240 x 400. I think a member at modaco made a topic about it.

Guest Omega Ra
anyone know how to install the igo 8?

i get an error code...

i get something like, failed to open file ui.igo8\120_200\loading bmp

just make sure you start the program in Landscape mode...it will work fine. I kept getting that when I tried to start in portrait, switched to landscape and works great :excl:

Guest theidoctor.org
just make sure you start the program in Landscape mode...it will work fine. I kept getting that when I tried to start in portrait, switched to landscape and works great :excl:

yea mine worked...i had to reinstall and then do a couple soft resets and it worked... now i cant find my map lol

Guest theidoctor.org
lol. I only put in the USA maps..as I won't be going to Europe anytime soon :excl:

Yea lol... if you want to test it out for me, that would be nice!!! i love it so far!

so much faster than garmin right now.... but we'll see.

im trying to get tomtom on there and the US maps for route 66 to see which of these are the best

Guest TheJanitor

I installed iGO8 but it kept placing me in London and had nothing for the US. Is there any way to just install those maps or does the program not support it?

Guest theidoctor.org
I installed iGO8 but it kept placing me in London and had nothing for the US. Is there any way to just install those maps or does the program not support it?

mine came with US maps, i just had to go to one of the other folders and transfer the maps over.

Guest theidoctor.org

So i have installed the Garmin Mobile XT with a 2009 North American Map.

My first thoughts:

WoW! i have Garmin on my phone!

PROS:

*Google search

*Real time Traffic Data

*2D/ 3D map

*Customizeable cars

*Great list of POI's etc.

* Day and Night mode/ Auto day/ night mode

*Customizable Voices

CONS:

*Very slow to connect. Takes a few minutes to get traffic, then to get better gps signal, and then to route.

*Sometimes, the vehicle does not follow exactly where you are.

Guest theidoctor.org

Ok, here is my review of the Nav N Go Igo 8.

I like this one so much better than garmin so far!

Pros:

*Very fast... the searching of addresses and such are very quick and responsive!

*Maps are devided by states and not in one bundle for faster response times. (you can use this to have only states that you want to save space as well!)

*Just as accurate as the garmin.

*Good poi's

*3D and 2D maps

Cons:

*The arrows are a little bit laggy. I can see that i am quite a few feet ahead of the arrow at times.

Edited by theidoctor.org

Guest theidoctor.org
I am definitely liking the IGO. don't see a lot of POI's around here though...know where I can DL more?

not really at this moment. IGO is a european based nav system, but i have heard that OCN is an IGO clone for the US!

Guest theidoctor.org
ocn maps are older than the new usa maps for igo 8

ok... i never even knew ocn was available lol...

yea im not sure where to get them... they just came with the package lol...

i am still looking for the 3d buildings and stuff!!! if you find those, let me know :excl:

Guest Tim-H

I finally downloaded OCN8 last night and installed it this morning. Yeah it takes its own memory card but a 2gb card is only about $10 so no big deal.

I tried running it in Landscape mode got the cant open data.zip\ui_igo8\400_240\loading.bmp

I tried running it in Portrait mode got the cant open data.zip\ui_igo8\240_400\loading.bmp

So i opened up data.zip went to the ui_igo8 folder and inside the only resolutions listed were 320_240 and 240_320 so all i did was make 2 new folders. one was 400_240 and the other was 240_400. I copied all the files from 320_240 to 400_240, and copied all the files from 240_320 into 240_400. closed it back up, put the memory card back into my phone fired it up and it all worked.

The only problem is it only takes up about 80% of the screen the difference between 320 and 400. Other than that it works great. Set up the com port to 8 and baud to 57600 and the satellite locks were fast and very strong, very accurate. I love the program, I just with they would have a 400_240 and 240_400 resolution interface available. So hopefully this can help anyone who keeps getting that error.

For those of you that said you just want a simple interface that shows speed, elevation, gps satellite positions this also does that. It just has the ability to run as a full navngo app as well.

Also should add that this does NOT require a data connection or signal.

Edited by Tim-H

Guest Itlooksfast

WHere can I go to to get these Navies? I went to Please read the site rules no links or requests for warez.COM but the IGO8 there isnt working and the GARMIN XT requires a third app...so anyone find another place that I can download IGO8 or Garmin XT? Thanks

Guest theidoctor.org
I finally downloaded OCN8 last night and installed it this morning. Yeah it takes its own memory card but a 2gb card is only about $10 so no big deal.

I tried running it in Landscape mode got the cant open data.zip\ui_igo8\400_240\loading.bmp

I tried running it in Portrait mode got the cant open data.zip\ui_igo8\240_400\loading.bmp

So i opened up data.zip went to the ui_igo8 folder and inside the only resolutions listed were 320_240 and 240_320 so all i did was make 2 new folders. one was 400_240 and the other was 240_400. I copied all the files from 320_240 to 400_240, and copied all the files from 240_320 into 240_400. closed it back up, put the memory card back into my phone fired it up and it all worked.

The only problem is it only takes up about 80% of the screen the difference between 320 and 400. Other than that it works great. Set up the com port to 8 and baud to 57600 and the satellite locks were fast and very strong, very accurate. I love the program, I just with they would have a 400_240 and 240_400 resolution interface available. So hopefully this can help anyone who keeps getting that error.

For those of you that said you just want a simple interface that shows speed, elevation, gps satellite positions this also does that. It just has the ability to run as a full navngo app as well.

Also should add that this does NOT require a data connection or signal.

awesome! have you tried any other navigation apps to compare it to?

let me know how the rest of the program works!

Guest deathwalker01

Hi all

Just a quick question, if I install IGO do I need a data plan or is it GPS satillite based?

Sorry for dumb question, its just that i dont want to get a huge phone bill LOL

Cheers

Deathwalker

Guest theidoctor.org
Hi all

Just a quick question, if I install IGO do I need a data plan or is it GPS satillite based?

Sorry for dumb question, its just that i dont want to get a huge phone bill LOL

Cheers

Deathwalker

you will need a data plan eventually if they turn on the agps... but i dont think you need it now

Guest phantomguy1
AmazeGPS is getting there. Turn by turn, voice nav, and free! However you need a data plan and there is very little search and POI for the U.S.

Amaze GPS download site

Ive actually tried this for about a week.. I dont know if its my area but compared to google and live search....... this program takes you over the river and through the woods. I was super excited to use this but sometimes it doesnt pick up how to get to certain places. Also, I went from work to my house and it took the longer way there..... then when I actually got to where I was, it said I needed to drive to the end of my street through my neighbors fence to get to my destination. Sat prob I figure but it will get you where you want to go if you dont mind taking extra streets. Also, it tells you to turn right in 500 feet, and it does auto recalculate route which is nice... did a lot of that on my way back. What I found funny was they finished a street here last year to cut through a lot of downtown traffic so I took the new street... it showed me going through peoples backyards which I thought was funny.

As far as POI, I havent found one tab that actually finds anything in the US. But for a GPS program, if Im ever lost, at least I can find my way even if it takes a little longer :excl:

Guest Mike Burrows

It would be well worth you guys trying Nav4all, its free, only makes small requests for data, works well with the Omnia. It's a little difficult to get used to and it only provides graphic arrows for direction rather than a map but it gives you voice directions and is always exactly where it should be GPS wise. It has a link to a web page where you can use Google or Yahoo maps for find locations, store favourites and so on. I recommend it. Mike

So with the new i910 Gps unlocked, i thought i would start a thread on some of the best GPS software out!

I will be testing the U.S. Versions of these software, and please dont ask where to find them.

But if you need a headstart ---> HERE YOU GO

Alright so this is what i have installed so far:

Garmin Mobile XT - with the basic worldmap and 2009 North American Map

Igo 2008 - Now with North American Maps installed

This is a list of Apps i need to install: (i have not heard of some of these, so this is new to me)

*Tomtom CURRENTLY HAVING TROUBLE.... SAYS CAN'T FIND MAPS... IM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE ON THERE

*Route 66 - PROBLEM WITH THIS AS WELL.... AT LEAST 1 FILE IS MISSING? (GEE THANKS)... I HAVE AT LEAST 1 MAP ON THERE, BUT STILL LOOKING AS WELL!

*If you can help me find a link to get some of these that would be nice.... [email protected]

PLEASE DONT POST THESE LINKS ON THIS FORUM!

--------------------------------------

If there is one that isn't listed. just add a post to it and i will look for them.

--------------------------------------

Please show us some of your works and what you think about these apps!

Guest Mike Burrows

I've tried Amaze GPS several times. It is rubbish and actually quite dangerous as it sends you up one way streets and tells you to turn left into the harbour.

Ive actually tried this for about a week.. I dont know if its my area but compared to google and live search....... this program takes you over the river and through the woods. I was super excited to use this but sometimes it doesnt pick up how to get to certain places. Also, I went from work to my house and it took the longer way there..... then when I actually got to where I was, it said I needed to drive to the end of my street through my neighbors fence to get to my destination. Sat prob I figure but it will get you where you want to go if you dont mind taking extra streets. Also, it tells you to turn right in 500 feet, and it does auto recalculate route which is nice... did a lot of that on my way back. What I found funny was they finished a street here last year to cut through a lot of downtown traffic so I took the new street... it showed me going through peoples backyards which I thought was funny.

As far as POI, I havent found one tab that actually finds anything in the US. But for a GPS program, if Im ever lost, at least I can find my way even if it takes a little longer :D

Guest theidoctor.org
I've tried Amaze GPS several times. It is rubbish and actually quite dangerous as it sends you up one way streets and tells you to turn left into the harbour.

lol... hmm, maybe it still used the OLD google maps way....

it used to tell you to swim across the ocean to get from America to Europe!

Guest WdGldDave
It would be well worth you guys trying Nav4all, its free, only makes small requests for data, works well with the Omnia. It's a little difficult to get used to and it only provides graphic arrows for direction rather than a map but it gives you voice directions and is always exactly where it should be GPS wise. It has a link to a web page where you can use Google or Yahoo maps for find locations, store favourites and so on. I recommend it. Mike

Which version of Nav4all should we use for an Omnia? It seems they have a several versions available.