The best GPS navigator for Omnia i910

Guest theidoctor.org

Guest theidoctor.org
sorry if im breaking rules or soemthing but has anyone here used gpsunderground? i think its down and want to know if its just me

yea i have used that and a couple others

Guest banderdragon

i have TomTom7 and i love it but i am wondering if there is a way to load new maps. My GF bought the maps for her TomTom One and i was wondering if there was a way to port them.

Guest Eschelon
I got Igo8 and have been using it for the whole day today, logged about 200 miles so far. very accurate, but the screen turns off if it is not connected to the car charger which will require you to press something to wake the device. There is a setting to keep the backlight on, but i will try it out tomorrow, i'm sure that will fix that issue.. I managed to bug it out and it was off by like 1/2 a city block east of me, i just restarted the program, although i'm sure there might be a way to turn the gps off and back on to reset the signal in the program.. The address input is a tad funky at first, till you get the hang of it. it is actually fast. This is my first nav system though so i am easily amazed.. lol..

A little late on this, I know. But some users have reported that going into Settings -> System -> Power -> External Power Tab -> and changing the first drop-down box to "None" and UNchecking the "turn off backlight..." box tends to fix the issue with the screen turning off when plugged in to a car charger while navigating.

Guest spaghetina

Has anyone running TomTom7 been able to get it to work without first running GPSGate? I had to run the two in tandem, and GPSGate was the sole reason why I got rid of TomTom - otherwise, it was great (although a total and complete pain in the kiester to install). It would only work once upon soft reset, and then if I shut down TT7, and restarted it, GPSGate would never work right, and TT7 would never get a signal.

I've since tried iGuidance and Garmin XT, and am currently using Garmin, even though I hate that it doesn't have text-to-speech. iGuidance does, but my screen shuts off every minute, if I'm not touching it, and I never plug the phone in when I'm in the car, so I don't have the option of leaving the backlight on when plugged in to keep it running. If not for the screen dimming issue, I'd actually choose iGuidance in a heartbeat, over Garmin. The interface is a little clunkier and less intuitive, but I love that TTS.

Guest theidoctor.org
Has anyone running TomTom7 been able to get it to work without first running GPSGate? I had to run the two in tandem, and GPSGate was the sole reason why I got rid of TomTom - otherwise, it was great (although a total and complete pain in the kiester to install). It would only work once upon soft reset, and then if I shut down TT7, and restarted it, GPSGate would never work right, and TT7 would never get a signal.

i have been able to get it to work before but it was a huge pain and took forever

Guest Junoman

I've since tried iGuidance and Garmin XT, and am currently using Garmin, even though I hate that it doesn't have text-to-speech. iGuidance does, but my screen shuts off every minute, if I'm not touching it, and I never plug the phone in when I'm in the car, so I don't have the option of leaving the backlight on when plugged in to keep it running. If not for the screen dimming issue, I'd actually choose iGuidance in a heartbeat, over Garmin. The interface is a little clunkier and less intuitive, but I love that TTS.

TT7 more readings can be found here!!

Still it seems like a big agony :D shame really. Try iGO8 much better and hassels free.

J.

Guest banderdragon

Odd, my TT7 has been working flawlessly. i don't have to run GPS gate, and only takes about 1-3 mins to lock when i am moving, and around 1min to lock when standing still.

I am using WoZZer's Lite ROM

Guest wushdishmeen

I'm using iGo8 and it works perfect. I can use the program in both Portrait and Landscape mode just fine so I don't know why so many people were saying you must start it in landscape mode?

However, I am hoping that you guys can point me to some links where I can get Cars, Voices, and Skins for iGo8? When I go to settings and click the Car icon it brings me to a list saying stuff like "Car, Taxi, Emergency, etc" and I select car but I still just get a green arrow on the screen? Is this because there are no cars loaded? Will loading cars make it so when I click on CAR it will bring up a list?

I want to add a car that looks like mine and also some cool voices like maybe Arnold Schwartzeneggar or some other type of celebrity or even just a cool voice. I see so many posts on here with people saying they downloaded this stuff but nobody ever directed anyone to where to get them???

Guest nikita13warrior

I've been using Tomtom 7 (has been always Tomtom's fan) for the last couple of months, I have no problem with loosing the GPS signal, only some issue when it changes times all of a sudden by itself, but as for the rest it's fine. Recently I installed IGO8 and I have to admit that this program is much freindlier and easier and more fun to use

Guest Tim-H
I'm using iGo8 and it works perfect. I can use the program in both Portrait and Landscape mode just fine so I don't know why so many people were saying you must start it in landscape mode?

However, I am hoping that you guys can point me to some links where I can get Cars, Voices, and Skins for iGo8? When I go to settings and click the Car icon it brings me to a list saying stuff like "Car, Taxi, Emergency, etc" and I select car but I still just get a green arrow on the screen? Is this because there are no cars loaded? Will loading cars make it so when I click on CAR it will bring up a list?

I want to add a car that looks like mine and also some cool voices like maybe Arnold Schwartzeneggar or some other type of celebrity or even just a cool voice. I see so many posts on here with people saying they downloaded this stuff but nobody ever directed anyone to where to get them???

The older versions of iG08 didn't have the correct resolutions to support the omnia in portrait mode, and even older versions didn't have the resolution to support it in landscape.

http://artwork-igo8.blogspot.com/2008/05/skins.html was the first search in google for skins. Make sure they support 240x400 and 400x240 or it will not work on the omnia. I know there was one guy specifically designing them in those resolutions but I can't remember who it was. Just do a little searching on the forum and you should be able to find it.

The car,taxi, etc are your modes of transportation, it will plan the route slightly differently, or majorly differently for each one. They don't mean the icon that will be displayed on the map.

I had no problem running TT7 without any GPS software. In fact, it's the fastest GPS software to connect with GPS birds that I've used. When I switched over to iGo8, I had to start using GPSGate.

For a tutorial on how to install TT7, look here: http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...10/#entry996864

There are tutorials on GPSUnderground that will point you in the right direction for how to install and get TT7 functionally working on WinMo.

Guest jonboyuk

IMHO CoPilot 7 HD is the best. There is now a specific Omnia build. It's connects quickly to the sats, has a smaller memory footprint than Igo8 (which I need as I run music at the same time in my car), free safety camera updates and it's really cheap!

Guest krash_control
IMHO CoPilot 7 HD is the best. There is now a specific Omnia build. It's connects quickly to the sats, has a smaller memory footprint than Igo8 (which I need as I run music at the same time in my car), free safety camera updates and it's really cheap!

I'll add a second vote for Copilot (I have Copilot Live 7). It has a nice clean interface, works really fast and most importantly gets a good signal quickly. Oh! and you get FREE camera updates. There are a few things I miss from TomTom though which is mainly the status bar. I like having current time, ETA, speed, speed limit and signal strength all easily visible, along with the current road and next road. Copilot only lets you select certain combinations of the above info. But just for the fact of free camera updates and the nice interface (apart from the missing info), I am sticking with Copilot until TT get their act together.

BTW idoctor, you have mail.

Guest dmcnado
The older versions of iG08 didn't have the correct resolutions to support the omnia in portrait mode, and even older versions didn't have the resolution to support it in landscape.

http://artwork-igo8.blogspot.com/2008/05/skins.html was the first search in google for skins. Make sure they support 240x400 and 400x240 or it will not work on the omnia. I know there was one guy specifically designing them in those resolutions but I can't remember who it was. Just do a little searching on the forum and you should be able to find it.

The car,taxi, etc are your modes of transportation, it will plan the route slightly differently, or majorly differently for each one. They don't mean the icon that will be displayed on the map.

I've been using iG08 and like it alot. However, it doesn't recalculate the route if I go off track. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is. I definitely need the route to be automatically recalculated because I get lost quite often! I've also been using GoogleMaps, which I like for non-driving circumstances. And I've played with amAzeGPS which is surprising for freeware. Not the best, but it does recalculate your route when you get lost.

Guest jgallo77
I've been using iG08 and like it alot. However, it doesn't recalculate the route if I go off track. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is. I definitely need the route to be automatically recalculated because I get lost quite often! I've also been using GoogleMaps, which I like for non-driving circumstances. And I've played with amAzeGPS which is surprising for freeware. Not the best, but it does recalculate your route when you get lost.

I could not get IGO to work. i tried different configurations and i just couldnt get it working. i kept getting the sd card error. so i moved on to garmin xt. That app is a little easier to install and get working. took a while to lock on to the satelites but now it connects pretty quick. pretty easy to use.

Guest theidoctor.org
I could not get IGO to work. i tried different configurations and i just couldnt get it working. i kept getting the sd card error. so i moved on to garmin xt. That app is a little easier to install and get working. took a while to lock on to the satelites but now it connects pretty quick. pretty easy to use.

did you use igo in landscape mode?

Guest mr_bungalow

I've been using iGo Amigo for the last couple of weeks and it's awesome. Not sure if it's the same as Amigo 8. I first tried Garmin, but they didn't have the street where I live and it sent me to work in a way that would have tacked 15 minutes onto my commute. There are 2 *good* ways to get to work, one is fast, the other is short. Using Amigo, when I toggle between the Fast and the Short route, it sends me either way. So far, it's been great!

+1 for iGo Amigo.

Guest HomelessCaveman
So with the new i910 Gps unlocked, i thought i would start a thread on some of the best GPS software out!

I will be testing the U.S. Versions of these software, and please dont ask where to find them.

But if you need a headstart ---> HERE YOU GO

Alright so this is what i have installed so far:

Garmin Mobile XT - with the basic worldmap and 2009 North American Map

Igo 2008 - Now with North American Maps installed

This is a list of Apps i need to install: (i have not heard of some of these, so this is new to me)

*Tomtom CURRENTLY HAVING TROUBLE.... SAYS CAN'T FIND MAPS... IM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE ON THERE

*Route 66 - PROBLEM WITH THIS AS WELL.... AT LEAST 1 FILE IS MISSING? (GEE THANKS)... I HAVE AT LEAST 1 MAP ON THERE, BUT STILL LOOKING AS WELL!

*If you can help me find a link to get some of these that would be nice.... [email protected]

PLEASE DONT POST THESE LINKS ON THIS FORUM!

--------------------------------------

If there is one that isn't listed. just add a post to it and i will look for them.

--------------------------------------

Please show us some of your works and what you think about these apps!

After unlocking i used igo8 which works great (Port 8 Baud rate 9600) its very smooth easy to used ...if you know what you are looking for. no loaded POI not amazing but 4 settings for routing it nice i would give it a 3.5

Guest theidoctor.org
I've been using iGo Amigo for the last couple of weeks and it's awesome. Not sure if it's the same as Amigo 8. I first tried Garmin, but they didn't have the street where I live and it sent me to work in a way that would have tacked 15 minutes onto my commute. There are 2 *good* ways to get to work, one is fast, the other is short. Using Amigo, when I toggle between the Fast and the Short route, it sends me either way. So far, it's been great!

+1 for iGo Amigo.

i used amigo but switched back to the older version cause i didnt like the lack of advanced settings.. but it was still nice.

especially being able to add custom cars and such

• 3 months later...
Guest dbsimms63

Do these require an external GPS antenna or will the internal unit work? Are any of these freeware or pay software?

Edited by dbsimms63