Discuss / Research SPB Mobile Shell 3

Guest vishalm

Guest eugopnosaj
i like the lifestyle screen too but to make my own wallpaper nicely fit, it requires weird images ratio of 960x748 series. Your existingwallpaper surely will look like it is displayed top right portion of if.

any workaround?

i hate the black theme, any other color available?

As for the wallpaper i just made it the same size (960x768) so that it scrolls with the home page

Im using a registered version and you can change the theme im not sure if it is there in the unregistered version though

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=30968index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=30969

I'm loving the fact that i can use photos from facebook as my saved contacts pictures because not only does it add it to the MS3 contacts it also shows up in S2U2 and the winmo dialer

Screen01.bmp

Screen02.bmp

Edited by eugopnosaj

Guest jackdaniel

I've installed on my OMNIA yesterday and I found it much much better than MS2 on the main screens, professional and lifestyle, everything works perfect and what I like is that it is fast and smooth, I agree that it would have been more customizable, clocks and wheather icons (looks like cartoons I preffer more realistics)

The only app that didn't work for me is Facebook, I wanted to change the image from 1 contact using the facebook app that allows you to take your contact's picture from he's facebook account. I log facebook and says "Connection Failed - Retry" and hangs the phone there... I restarted and tried again and I was into my facebook and says "welcome to facebook, do you want to use SPB MS to update your contacts?" and again the same error, it seems like a bug there.

I would like to know if it worked for someone there, go to contacts-change image and there is an option for facebook...

Guest ronaldb3

Great look in all black!

I found the screen to change the picture background for the Life screen, but how do you get no picture and black???

Thanks,

Ron...

Guest eugopnosaj
I would like to know if it worked for someone there, go to contacts-change image and there is an option for facebook...

Facebook works for me, sometimes it takes a while to load the pictures but so far it seems ok

Guest 3shirts

Anyone tried SPBWeather with this yet. I did and it didn't seem to integrate at all, the weather widget and stuff all still open the mobile-shell weather. I was hoping it would let me have two weather widgets, one for home and one for work.

Guest 3shirts
On first install did not work weather so I installed SPB weather 2 and works ok.

How do you mean, does it let you have multiple widgets like I described? I'll try reinstalling if so.

Guest theidoctor.org
How do you mean, does it let you have multiple widgets like I described? I'll try reinstalling if so.

i'll have to try that.. the weather widget on the spb 3 is not too great

Guest StimpyGoblin

I like MS3 but I miss a couple of things ...

- I don't like SPB Contacts ... I'm using Spam alert ... but there is no possibility to change it ... (or i don't know how )

Maybe SPB should give us the choice of a kind of integration with other software ?

- I don't like SPB Calender ... To view the calender is good ... but to enter a new appointment/task .. it uses the default WM style ...

I like to use ThumbCal ... also here no possibility to change it ... (or I don't know how )

Also here an option to choose other software ...

- Also the use of the standard WM alarms is a bit annoying ... but thats on all shells like that ... so this is no exception .. :excl:

But here it should be possible to integrate a new alarm prog ... that ignores the wm alarm system

- ... (this is what i have now)

Now here's what I do like :excl:

- The start menu replacement is really awesome!!

Isn't there any software else that can do that ?

-The UI in total is very fast and quick responding!

- The lay-out of the shell is also great ...

- It doesn't replace the taskbar !!! ...

- In contrast to MS2, it doesn't minimize anymore when you finger slide down ... (no more spb watcher :excl: )

- The spinning panels are also smooth moving and interesting to show/use ;)

- The prof. and free style today screens are usefull

- I like the integration with SPB Weather 2 ... (best weather soft around !! imho)

- ... (Thats it for now)

If the calendar and contacts thingy's could be solved/worked out, I'm using MS3 FOR SURE!!

But Calender and contacts are important for me and I don't like to use 'a longer way' to get there ...

So for now I'm using M2D ...

So this is my opinion ... :excl:

Edited by StimpyGoblin

Guest manosandrea

Cube/Panels: I earlier mentioned that you couldn't add/remove panels from the cube, fortunately I was wrong.

Head over to HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Spb Mobile Shell>NowScreen>Panels

Look inside the numbered folders to see the names of the panels. To remove a panel, simple delete the folder.

Note: Folders are in a 0 based assending number order. It needs to stay that way, or it doesnt work. e.g if you delete folder 4, rename all other folder to compensate for the missing 4. 5>4, 6>5..........

As for adding, other panels, you just need to put in names of screens ":xxxxxx" and see if it works.

SPB Menu: Seems like SPB are enjoying hiding features. Here's how to unlock the SPB Menu so you can add and remove links as you wish.

Navigate to: HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Menu>Root

In there you will find folders that correspond to the menu items in the SPB Menu. E.G: Internet

You need to go into the folder and add a DWORD value called "Add" with the value of "1".

Once this is done, go to SPB Menu and open the Menu Catagory. Click the options button (bottom right) and you will see 3 new buttons. :excl:

Guest 3shirts

I get the feeling the final release will allow for much more customisation and integration so I think for now the answer is to either have a play in the registry (but backup first!) or just wait a few more weeks for the final production release.

Guest 3shirts
Maybe SPB should give us the choice of a kind of integration with other software ?

+1

I have found that the ThumbCal integration patch designed for 2.1.5 works to a degree. It will add links to ThumbCal such as new appointment and day/month view. It doesn't totally replace the calendar (if you go into the calendar pane in MS3 and enter a new appointment it will still do so with the standard WM form) but I have just placed widgets linking to the 'New Appointment' and 'Month View' shortcut on my Lifestyle Home page.

Here is the link: http://www.thumbapps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=154

As I said in my previous post, I think the final retail release will allow for more integration as that is the most requested feature on the SPBclub forums.

Guest Turborepu

ok i been playin around using it for a day and i do like it. still not as natural feeling as it could be but thats probably due to being unfamiliar with it. i like the lancher that replaces the start menu. you can add all the " favorites" you want in either simple or advanced mode, but no option to reduce the MRUs.. but they stay below the favs anyhow. i use panels instead of the 3d carousel. i like that better. the task manager is ok but a tad slow. it needs more menu options though.. it would seem that the whole ui is made more modular so once some people figure out how it works we might be able to mod even the professional page. i have no music on my phone now so i havent tried the wmp widget.. so far im sold... even though i still qualify for a free upgrade.. in may i might have to look a tad harder at it.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
So, a trial version is finally out. For many who have taken the plunge to test it, or are about to, the wait is over.

I myself have installed it and will post my opionions about it below.

For those who haven't seen the spam of new threads about it, here a quick overview.

Earlier today, I believe, build 6362 of SPB Mobile Shell V3.0.0 was leaked and spread across the internet.

The installer was found on SPB's server is as of yet has not been removed.

Link: http://softspb.com/ext/mobileshell/6362-DF...hell3_setup.exe

The file has also been uploaded to many file hosting site however I find it pointless to post any as the official site seems to work.

So, my experience so far:

The official installer is a .exe installer that needs to be run from a PC with Active Sync or Mobile Central.

It is similar to most SPB installer where it allows a Trial, or a registered version by providing it with a serial code.

As I prefer Cab files over .exe installers, I grabbed the Cab during the installation.

Unfortunately it wanted to perform an update to MS2, so make sure you back up your Program Files and Registry.

Important Note: I believe the installation wiped out many of my contacts and calander events. Make sure you backup just incase it happens to you aswell. I haven't heard anyone else complain about that, so it could be something else, but better safe then sorry.

After using it for an hour or so, I have to say I do like it, and I'm not going back to v2.

I was expecting it to be slightly unresponsive especially in the Cube feature, however I was totally wrong. It is dead responsive.

I dont like the colour too much and will look into changing the theme.

The Professional Layout seems uncustomisable from the GUI but I'm sure you can in a similar fasion to MS2.

As for the Lifestyle Layout, well since I say the video I was never a fan. I screen is enough for me.

Maybe it will grow on me, I hope it does, as it does allow preety much full customisability.

But there is a lack of so called Widgets at the moment.

I've not liked SPB Contacts from day 1, and I still dont in MS3. I use Inesoft Phone to manage phone related stuff, so SPB stuff is just bloatware and doesn't do what I want. (Custom Number Types).

I don't know if this is a bug, but when I open the call log, it doesn't show names, just the number, and the type.

As for the Cube, its really nice, theme is not the best, but its ok. It doesn't seem like you can add/remove screen from the Cube. There 12 of them, and I wouldn't touch about 5.

Moving on to 3rd party apps. An improvement here, SMS loads SMS-Chat, Call Log loads SPB Call Log, and not the Systems default, Alarms opens windows alarm, and calander opens SPB Calander.

So a slight improvement but still alot to do here.

Thats it for now, More later if I find more to talk about.

Feel free to post your opinions and even screenshots.

Thanks

Update: I just realised how to change the theme. "Settings > Personal > Today" and select a theme from there. The most popular is black, so simply set the theme to DiamondQVGA or a similar black theme. Looks much nicer now :excl:

Update: I've been playing around with it for quite a while now, and am starting to like it. Infact the Lifestyle layout has grown on me and i've customised it to my liking.

People seem to be asking for screenshots, so here they are.

17/04/2009: Black Theme File

professionallayout1.pnglifestylelayout1.pngcube1.png

launcherfav1.pnglauncherorganised1.pngcontactsfav.png

contactscarousel.pngcontactsc.pngcalllog.png

Cube/Panels: I earlier mentioned that you couldn't add/remove panels from the cube, fortunately I was wrong.

Head over to HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Spb Mobile Shell>NowScreen>Panels

Look inside the numbered folders to see the names of the panels. To remove a panel, simple delete the folder.

Note: Folders are in a 0 based assending number order. It needs to stay that way, or it doesnt work. e.g if you delete folder 4, rename all other folder to compensate for the missing 4. 5>4, 6>5..........

As for adding, other panels, you just need to put in names of screens ":xxxxxx" and see if it works.

SPB Menu: Seems like SPB are enjoying hiding features. Here's how to unlock the SPB Menu so you can add and remove links as you wish.

Navigate to: HKLM>Software>Spb Software House 2>Menu>Root

In there you will find folders that correspond to the menu items in the SPB Menu. E.G: Internet

You need to go into the folder and add a DWORD value called "Add" with the value of "1".

Once this is done, go to SPB Menu and open the Menu Catagory. Click the options button (bottom right) and you will see 3 new buttons. :excl:

Here is a tip from 3shirts, it shows you how to add another Application Category to the menu. - Thank you

How do you get rid of that boring ms start icon? It still shows on every SPB page :excl: .