OmniaTMC Beta 2 (and unofficial Beta 3)

Guest BeamRider

Guest Fabione72

Both Omnia TMC and FM radio succesfully tested on igo8.3.2.71348 (ITALY: 102.5).

Multiple igo8 start-up without soft-reset test: OK, it works.

notes:

- SDKcert installed.

- your driver installed on MYStorage space

- igo8 GPS port:3 igo TMC port: 4

G R E A T W O R K ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hale to the TMC drivers king !!! :excl:

Guest jeffrey2000

@Beamrider: FYI: I posted the Omnia files, link is in ur mail, so waiting for your test results, if it's just the exe file itself I would appreciate getting the 'right' file :excl: tnx in advance!, I made some 'performance' changes in the sys.txt and SGH-i900.ini file (data.zip).

Edited by jeffrey2000

Guest evil Homer 3k
Hi the driver remains loaded but sleeping: on TMC port closing, the driver closes both GPS and TMC and stops its internal threads. GPS and tuner chip areactivated only when TMC port is opened or if something else is keeping the port opened (ie GPSGate). Battery draining is not acceptable and the driver has been developed with this in mind. So I can assure you that you'll end up using TMC without killing your battery (as a matter of fact I'm keepeng it running 7x24 and charging just like before).

Just for statistics, which iGO build are you using? Is somebody else experinecing battery drain?

EDIT: one thing I missed, do you still have the first version?

Oh ok... I've disabled it for now, but battery drain continues so I do apologise for questioning your driver. Obviously its something else lol.

Build of Igo 8 is quite an old one, 8.3.2.64873.

Edited by evil Homer 3k

Guest pelroig
Yes it is exactly what you are doing by Activating/Deactivating TMCSerial ... but this driver it has been designed for a minimal impact and must work without manual intervention. Other point against on demand loading is that if you can't Deactivate/Reactivate TMCSerial after iGO shutdown you would be unable to do it also with "on demand" method.

I'm building an high level test/stress application to test this situations. This application will: open TMC port, search TMC station and receive/decodes data (n times) then closes the TMC port and restarts the loop. It should provide a stability proof when in doubt.

AdvFMRadio must remain loaded because it is a kernel mode driver (just like original FMRadio).

BeamRider, is it possible to have OmniaTMC being able to work with different FMRadio dll / chipset?

You know that the HTC-based phones are very interested in your solution.

If you need any help on that, please let me know. I have Sony Ericsson Xperia (HTC based).

Guest BeamRider
BeamRider, is it possible to have OmniaTMC being able to work with different FMRadio dll / chipset?

You know that the HTC-based phones are very interested in your solution.

If you need any help on that, please let me know. I have Sony Ericsson Xperia (HTC based).

Yes it is, I just need to have specifications / SDK or whatever technical is availble for tuners ...

TMCSerial is written in C++ so it is very flexible to extend :excl:

Guest DAlma
Happy to hear that TMC is flowing :excl:

I just published a new version that may solve the iGO 8.3.2.64873 problems. I wasn't able to reproduce the beahviour so I'm guessing more than fixing, anyway I just found some bugs looking at your log files and enhanced some driver parts so please keep me updated on iGO issue.

@DAlma: I removed the earphones software check from the driver, but the tuner chip cannot receive any station without an antenna. I'm working also on a modified car charger / USB cable to have the antenna available for in-car usage. A tester also reported that by using original charged and the USB cable he was able to receive stations ... not my case.

Hi Beamrider,

just a short question. I read your comment about the pins for a connector in the TMC thread. I am not sure if I understand you completely, but did you solve this issue? Will be it possible to use the speakers if connect to the modified antenna?

Guest BeamRider
Hi Beamrider,

just a short question. I read your comment about the pins for a connector in the TMC thread. I am not sure if I understand you completely, but did you solve this issue? Will be it possible to use the speakers if connect to the modified antenna?

Still I haven't finished the cable (I'm halfway in the mod) but I really think so ... and yes, remeber that in AdvFMDriver no more earphones check exists and without connecting an earphone to i900 audio will flow through the speaker ... so just the thime to fix the issues with old iGO release and I will try to finish the connector!!!

OPPSSS I forgot ... we find the problem with the old iGO version, just read the main post and you'll find everything .. :excl: :excl:

the solution cames with the help of all the reporters for they log files and special thanks to jeffrey2000 for trying with me all possible malfunctions/workarounds. As a matter of fact was a SYS.txt (configuration) problem.

Edited by BeamRider

Guest Stevenh

BeamRider, does this require RDS data to work? The current fix for the Bluetooth voice command issue replaces the sound and radio drivers with the i908 version which does not seem to output RDS data (at least as far as I can tell from the fmradio application). Do you think your driver would work? Do you think you can in some way extend the i908 fmradio driver to add rds support?

Thanks

Steven

Guest BeamRider
BeamRider, does this require RDS data to work? The current fix for the Bluetooth voice command issue replaces the sound and radio drivers with the i908 version which does not seem to output RDS data (at least as far as I can tell from the fmradio application). Do you think your driver would work? Do you think you can in some way extend the i908 fmradio driver to add rds support?

Thanks

Steven

I may take a look to produce an i908 version with RDS, but fixing has priority at the moment. Where can I find the i908 driver? Do you have the dll file standalone? (just to avoid to download ther rom and to play in the kitchen :excl: )

Guest 3shirts
OPPSSS I forgot ... we find the problem with the old iGO version, just read the main post and you'll find everything .. :excl: :excl:

the solution cames with the help of all the reporters for they log files and special thanks to jeffrey2000 for trying with me all possible malfunctions/workarounds. As a matter of fact was a SYS.txt (configuration) problem.

Right, um, I actually have no SYS.txt file at all!

I have one called system.ini which seems to have the same kind of structure but it has no Source listing at all (correct or incorrect spelling!)

I did a search over my whole device for SYS.txt and came up dry.

EDIT: Ok well I just manually added the line under [gpr] in my settings.ini and soft reset and now it seems fine. I have run iGo 3 times since the last reset and it picked up TMC hardware each time!

Thanks

Edited by 3shirts

Guest illusion786
1- FM_RADIO_ANT

2- GND

3- MIC_P

4- MIC_N

5- EAROUT_R

6- EAR_COM

7- EAROUT_L

8- BEND_END

9- nJACK_INT

10- EAR_CHECK

11- TXD_tvout

12- RXD (JTAG_RXD)

13- V_DC

14- V_DC

15- IF_CON_SENSE (JTAG_CON_SENSE)

16- USB +

17- USB -

18- USB_DC (JTAG_VBUS)

19,20 - Vext_5V

21-23 - GND

Hi Beamrider, i have created the antenna connector using your pin out from your previous TMC post successfully. I also have the audio routed through the main speakers as im not using any earphones.

I would like to ask is there a way that i can bypass the earphone check using those pins? The reason why i ask is cause i am trying to use the Radio app through the connector i made. I have the antenna ready but it wont allow the software to run due to this check. I remember you mentioning that you disabled the ear check in your tmc app, is there a reg setting or something? I have tried connecting pin 2 (GND) to pin 10 (EAR_CHECK) but the phone wont disable the earcheck. Any ideas ?

Anyway this is what i have done at the moment.

Im using the 3.5mm jack adaptor, i then opened the connector up and pulled out the pins and reconnected to pin 1 and 2. Thats it.....

The reason why i am using this connector is cause i had a spare car tv antenna which works perfect as the antenna has a 3.5mm jack :excl:

SNC00023.jpg

SNC00033.jpg

SNC00034.jpg

SNC00035.jpg

SNC00038.jpg

My next mission is to connect the antenna to the car charger. This should be really easy as i just need to open the car charger connector and connect my ready made antenna to pins 1 and 2 of the car charger.

Edited by illusion786

Guest BeamRider
I remember you mentioning that you disabled the ear check in your tmc app, is there a reg setting or something?

In the driver I had to change the code because the original was checking thedirectly trough audio config. Don't know how it is implementd in the FMTuner, I could take a look but it's much easier to rewrite the tuner :excl:

Anyway this is what i have done at the moment.

Nice work :excl:

My next mission is to connect the antenna to the car charger. This should be really easy as i just need to open the car charger connector and connect my ready made antenna to pins 1 and 2 of the car charger.

Exactly what I have to finish :excl: :excl:

Guest theidoctor.org

very nice job on that illusion!

i may have to try that out....

How is this tmc project going? is it all good now? i would like to try it on my omnia when most of the bugs are fixed

Guest lilich62

Great works !

But I still have a problem.

TMC work only once.

All other run of IGO return me "0 signal TMC" and have to reset my mobile to get TMC mobile working again.

I use IGO 8.3.2.64873.

May someone post or PM me an example of sys.txt ?

Thanks

Edited by lilich62

Guest illusion786
Great works !

But I still have a problem.

TMC work only once.

All other run of IGO return me "0 signal TMC" and have to reset my mobile to get TMC mobile working again.

I use IGO 8.3.2.64873.

May someone post or PM me an example of sys.txt ?

Thanks

Im using iGO 8.3.2.80621

My sys.txt is empty and im having no issues at the moment with the port settings. I can exit igo and start again while using the ports.

Try detecting the tmc in igo settings?

Edited by illusion786

Guest illusion786

Another thing i have realised is that the TMCserial port is always opened even when the satnav app is closed.

The log file (TMCSerialLog.log) keeps growing in size until I manually deactivate the TMCserial port in the tmc app.

Bug ?

I was wondering why my battery was draining a lot faster than before

I have attached the log file below.

TMCSerialLog.txt

Edited by illusion786

Guest BeamRider
Another thing i have realised is that the TMCserial port is always opened even when the satnav app is closed.

The log file (TMCSerialLog.log) keeps growing in size until I manually deactivate the TMCserial port in the tmc app.

Bug ?

I was wondering why my battery was draining a lot faster than before

I have attached the log file below.

Yes it is in your case ... the TMCSerialLog (also with logging disabled) grows because of errors and you are just experiencing the same port problems I described before (compare your logs with others and you'll find protbuff getting saturated).

I can't explain how you are able to read TMC: in the situation (same release) my TMC was greyed unavailable too. Please apply the patch to sys.txt (if you have a sample one just try using [gps] session only) then soft reset, delete the log file and keep an eye to it. With logging disabled it should not be created anymore unless some error is detected from the driver.

I think that iGO, unless it finds vrtlserial in the config, thinks that the GPS is wired to the device (ie an USB GPS) and powers it off on close (I will check this) resulting on a "External GPS" shutdown. I'm just speculating, but the effect is real!!

If you fix/add sys.txt (take care of real iGO installation dir if you have installed it) and the problem persists then we neek to talk about enabling log and look for a potential other bug ...

To better explan TMCSerial behaviour ... ProtBuff error is a very bad thing: it means that the buffer from protocl handler to virtual serial is getting saturated. This is an internal buffer between threads and should never be saturated in normal use. The problem is usually caused by an incomplete driver startup mostly due to a GPS port unavailable (in this state FMRadio remains powered). I left error notifications and incomplete startup as is because (in the beta) I need to have a frozen state to understand what is really happening. This debugging behaviour will be removed soon ... with soon I mean when nobody will experience startup problems anymore (Beta 2 :excl: ).

If you need some more proofs ... try opening COM3 (with putty) after iGO shutdown, you should get an error.

PS I'm assuming that your GPS port is COM3 :excl:

Guest lilich62

@BeamRider

@Illusion786

Thanks for your help.

I had a [tmc] section in my sys.txt, so i remove it as it appears to be not necessary.

Everything works fine now if I unselect the stations autoscan in Igo ( and put a fix station ).

I suspect that the autoscan delay is too short and that autoscan move to next station before TMC entries can not be retrieved.

If I am right do you know if I can set a longer delay for autoscan ?

Edited by lilich62

Guest Fabione72
Both Omnia TMC and FM radio succesfully tested on igo8.3.2.71348 (ITALY: 102.5).

Multiple igo8 start-up without soft-reset test: OK, it works.

notes:

- SDKcert installed.

- your driver installed on MYStorage space

- igo8 GPS port:3 igo TMC port: 4

G R E A T W O R K ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hale to the TMC drivers king !!! :excl:

Some additional testing: ON THE ROAD with igo8

GPS reception: passed

AUDIO handling: NOT PASSED

FYI, while the TMC is running (with earphones connected) the igo8 audio is not handled anymore, neither by loudspeacker, nor by earphones. (strange low-frequency noise is present into earphones, that's all).

If the earphones cable is disconnected, the audio immediately starts to work correctly.

So actually if someone (with same device+SW) needs TMC info is necessary to:

- start igo8 with "antenna" cable connected before to start driving

- wait TMC sync

- disconnect "antenna" cable and start driving.

- every X hours driving, stop driving, re-connect antenna cable, etc etc

I tried to configure TMC output on different COM ports. Same results.

[i guess the "audio through loudspeaker" management will be the next problem in the future, especially while producing power+antenna cables and/or playing with MS registry to simulate cable presence. In fact the audio shall be managed always by loudspeacker while driving, also with power+antenna cable connected+TMC running.]

Hope it helps.

PS

Notwithstanding, excellent work, again. :excl:

Cheers

Guest BeamRider
Some additional testing: ON THE ROAD with igo8

GPS reception: passed

AUDIO handling: NOT PASSED

FYI, while the TMC is running (with earphones connected) the igo8 audio is not handled anymore, neither by loudspeacker, nor by earphones. (strange low-frequency noise is present into earphones, that's all).

If the earphones cable is disconnected, the audio immediately starts to work correctly.

So actually if someone (with same device+SW) needs TMC info is necessary to:

- start igo8 with "antenna" cable connected before to start driving

- wait TMC sync

- disconnect "antenna" cable and start driving.

- every X hours driving, stop driving, re-connect antenna cable, etc etc

I tried to configure TMC output on different COM ports. Same results.

[i guess the "audio through loudspeaker" management will be the next problem in the future, especially while producing power+antenna cables and/or playing with MS registry to simulate cable presence. In fact the audio shall be managed always by loudspeacker while driving, also with power+antenna cable connected+TMC running.]

Hope it helps.

PS

Notwithstanding, excellent work, again. :excl:

Cheers

The "low frequency noise" effect is caused by some interaction between iGO audio settings and FMRadio that I'm investigating. The audio output is working but playback is extemely slow (appears a wrong sampling rate on playback). If you raise the volume to a very high level you'll notice that it's just the "click" sound.

Yesterday I finished my charger/antenna adapter and it is working. By using a charger as antenna audio routing does not happen anymore and output remains on speaker. This is the best option because I can charge the phone on car/bike while receiving stations.

Does the "audio from speaker" option makes sense if headset isn't needed anymore?

(asking your opinion ... to me no, but I can make it configurable from the tool)