Phone will not power on after Flashing to Wozzer's Stock ROM - Bricked??

Guest Manute2001

Guest Manute2001

I've been lurking on this board for some time, and this morning I finally decided to take the jump and flash my phone.

The flash to the leaked Samsung beta ROM was successful and without incident. But it was Wozzer's 6.5 ROM that I was really interested in, so I downloaded Wozzer's Stock ROM, and took the following steps:

1) Ensured that Mass Storage was set on both computer and phone side;

2) Launched UMDL, selected the 6.5 stock ROM under PDA, clicked DETECT

3) turned my phone off, connected it to the computer via USB

4) The flashing process was humming along, no issues, reached 100% and got a "flash successful" message on the computer. Omnia's screen went black and the phone appeared to be turned off. I pressed the d-pad, and the Omnia acted as if it was powered off.

5) I disconnected the Omnia from the computer, and pressed the power button - nothing happened.

6) Removed the battery for about 5 minutes and again tried to power the Omnia on - nothing.

I then closed UMDL and connected the phone to the USB cord. My PC detected a device named MONAHANS, but was unable to find a driver to connect.

The phone still will not power on, and there is no light on the power key.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated... I love my Omnia, I hope I didn't brick it. <_<

Guest techmaster7545
I've been lurking on this board for some time, and this morning I finally decided to take the jump and flash my phone.

The flash to the leaked Samsung beta ROM was successful and without incident. But it was Wozzer's 6.5 ROM that I was really interested in, so I downloaded Wozzer's Stock ROM, and took the following steps:

4) The flashing process was humming along, no issues, reached 100% and got a "flash successful" message on the computer. Omnia's screen went black and the phone appeared to be turned off. I pressed the d-pad, and the Omnia acted as if it was powered off.

5) I disconnected the Omnia from the computer, and pressed the power button - nothing happened.

6) Removed the battery for about 5 minutes and again tried to power the Omnia on - nothing.

I then closed UMDL and connected the phone to the USB cord. My PC detected a device named MONAHANS, but was unable to find a driver to connect.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated... I love my Omnia, I hope I didn't brick it. <_<

im looking at what u done right off do u use xp or vista on pc

it sounds like active sync on xp or mobile studio on vista had its allow usb connections turned on this has to be off

and dnt touch the phone til it is booted back up

Edited by techmaster7545

Guest Foster318

Did you flash the CC20 ROM first? Probably a stupid question, but if not then yea you probably bricked it. Monahans means the boot sector is corrupted. You could maybe try to flash to the CC20 rom and see if it'll repair/replace your boot.

Guest Manute2001
im looking at what u done right off do u use xp or vista on pc

it sounds like active sync on xp or mobile studio on vista had its allow usb connections turned on this has to be off

and dnt touch the phone til it is booted back up

I have Vista. I had "allow usb connections" turned off

Guest Manute2001
Did you flash the CC20 ROM first? Probably a stupid question, but if not then yea you probably bricked it. Monahans means the boot sector is corrupted. You could maybe try to flash to the CC20 rom and see if it'll repair/replace your boot.

I did flash the CC20 ROM first, and that went smoothly. I can't get anything to flash now because its asking for a MONAHANS driver.

I'm just hoping that I can tell Verizon I don't know why it won't boot up, and they'll replace it. Otherwise, it seems my only option is to send it to some guy in Romania. <_<

Guest breadtrk
I did flash the CC20 ROM first, and that went smoothly. I can't get anything to flash now because its asking for a MONAHANS driver.

I'm just hoping that I can tell Verizon I don't know why it won't boot up, and they'll replace it. Otherwise, it seems my only option is to send it to some guy in Romania. <_<

Tell them it overheated to the point that you had to take it out of your pocket, they should swap it out no questions. Don't ask me how I know this.....twice.

Guest Manute2001
Tell them it overheated to the point that you had to take it out of your pocket, they should swap it out no questions. Don't ask me how I know this.....twice.

This is much appreciated <_<

Guest ~1800~

The bad news is that the same thing happened to me two weeks ago and the phone is definitely bricked. The good news is that, in light of the fact that the phone won't turn on under any circumstances, Verizon can't tell what happened to it and will replace it for free under warranty.

I told the tech support people that it worked fine the night before (true) and that it suddenly wouldn't power on (also true). They didn't ask and I didn't volunteer anything else about what happened.

I think that the problem resulted from moving too quickly from the cc20 build to Wozzer's ROM without giving the computer enough time to re-install the device drivers into the phone. Right after I clicked the button to begin the second ROM install, I noticed the dreaded " . . . your device can operate more quickly . . . " indicating that that the transfer was being done via usb 1 rather than usb 2. It was obviously too late to do anything about it at that point.

Guest necosino

When flashing Wozzer's ROM, the only thing being changed is the PDA section of the phone. Even if it didn't flash successfully, it shouldn't be bricked. Try reflashing and just see if it'll turn on when connected to the USB connection like you did before.

Guest blazingwolf
When flashing Wozzer's ROM, the only thing being changed is the PDA section of the phone. Even if it didn't flash successfully, it shouldn't be bricked. Try reflashing and just see if it'll turn on when connected to the USB connection like you did before.

It won't work since he is showing the Monohans error.

Guest Craig540

I also have this Monohans error

I just did my first flash with my omnia. I first flashed the CC20 rom and it went well.

I was able to make a call and get data and WIFI.

I then checked the GPS which got 6 Sat after about 6 min.

I then flashed blazingwolf Rock and Republic WM6.5 and it finished ok but now my pda will not power on.

I have taken the battery out and let it sit for a few but still no power.

Help

Edited by Craig540

Guest AngusATAT

Are you absolutely sure that you were using a USB 2.0 port, and not a USB 1.0 or 1.1 port? Many folks have had issues because of this.

Guest Manute2001
Are you absolutely sure that you were using a USB 2.0 port, and not a USB 1.0 or 1.1 port? Many folks have had issues because of this.

The ports on my computer are all supposed to be 2.0. Is there any way to check this?

Guest blazingwolf
The ports on my computer are all supposed to be 2.0. Is there any way to check this?

In the device manager under the USB section you should have mention of an Enhanced PCI to USB controller or something similar.

Guest Manute2001
In the device manager under the USB section you should have mention of an Enhanced PCI to USB controller or something similar.

I definitely have USB 2.0.

No idea what went wrong - I followed all the directions. <_<

Guest blazingwolf
I definitely have USB 2.0.

No idea what went wrong - I followed all the directions. <_<

Hmm, how quickly after you installed CC20 did you update to the custom ROM.

Guest Manute2001

About 10-15 minutes - relatively quickly.

After I upgraded to the CC20 I did the following:

1) *228 to authorize the phone,

2) Sent a few text messages,

3) Switched both the phone and PC back to ActiveSync/Allow USB Connections respectively,

4) Soft reset phone,

5) Synced the phone to bring in my contacts,

6) Switched both the phone and PC back to sync with Mass Storage/ do not allow USB Connections respectively,

7) Soft reset phone,

8) Downloaded Wozzer's Stock 6.5 ROM,

9) Disconnected phone from PC,

10) Turned phone off,

11) Started UDML, loaded ROM into PDA section,

12) Connected phone to PC,

13) Turned phone on - ROM started downloading

Guest necosino

What size was the file that you downloaded? Compare it to Wozzer's page to see what size it should have been. The only thing I can think is that the file was either corrupted or didn't download completely (same thing, basically).

Guest Manute2001
What size was the file that you downloaded? Compare it to Wozzer's page to see what size it should have been. The only thing I can think is that the file was either corrupted or didn't download completely (same thing, basically).

I'm not in front of that computer, but it was a compressed file (RAR i believe) which WinRAR successfully opened and extracted the bin file. I'll check this when I get home, but I would be very surprised if the file was corrupted.

Guest Manute2001

I did not do a hard reset after installing the CC20 ROM and before trying to install Wozzer's.

Perhaps that caused an issue?

Are we supposed to do a hard reset after installing CC20 and before installing cooked ROMs?

Guest necosino
I did not do a hard reset after installing the CC20 ROM and before trying to install Wozzer's.

Are we supposed to do a hard reset after installing CC20 and before installing cooked ROMs?

Nope, a soft reset always sufficed for me. I don't think that's what did it..

Just take it to VZW and get it replaced already, you could have a new one already flashed instead of sitting here wondering what went wrong <_<

Guest Manute2001
Nope, a soft reset always sufficed for me. I don't think that's what did it..

Just take it to VZW and get it replaced already, you could have a new one already flashed instead of sitting here wondering what went wrong <_<

I've got the new one right in front of me! Just trying to figure out what went wrong so I don't brick this one!

Guest jackgood

I have a friend who who also tried to flash his Omnia. But it looks like he may have bricked it. I asked him if I could take a look at it and see if I could fix it since I had flashed my own omnia with no problems.

Right now it won't turn on. If you hold the power button down the red light on the power button will come on and stay on but it won't start up. Also, if you leave it with the red light on, the antennae portion of the phone heats up like it's doing something.

Is there any way to wake it up from a state like this?

Guest necosino
I've got the new one right in front of me! Just trying to figure out what went wrong so I don't brick this one!

Just follow the guide here, written by TheiDoctor and myself <_<

Guest blazingwolf

I'm not sure. There are a couple people thinking that it might be caused by installing the CC20 ROM and then immediately installing a custom one. Though you seem to break that trend as you synced your device.