[superceded] - Rooting the Hero step-by-step - my hybrid method

Guest PaulOBrien

This topic has now been superceded by the MoDaCo Hero Patch.

Getting root access on your Hero is easy! It's very safe, and lets you do all sorts of cool stuff that nasty HTC and Google don't let you do otherwise.

This is a 'hybrid' of the methods currently around over at xda-devs... I wanted to be able to do 'adb remount' to have write access whenever I wanted, and this provides that.

Instructions! ;)

1. Download this zip file and extract it to a directory (this will work on a PC OR a Mac!)

2. Open a command prompt / terminal to the above directory

3. Ensure 'USB Debugging' is enabled in 'Settings - Application - Development' on your device.

4. You must have a SD card in your device! If you don't put one in! Attach to your PC / Mac via USB cable. If you are prompted for USB drivers on your PC, you can grab them here.

PC

5. Either mount the SD card on your PC and copy the 'update-hero-signed.zip' to it as 'update.zip', or type 'adb push update-hero-signed.zip /sdcard/update.zip'.

6. Type 'adb shell reboot bootloader' to enter the bootloader.

7. Type 'fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img' - the device will now boot into the recovery image.

8. Select the option to 'apply update.zip from SD card'. Let it complete.

9. Type 'adb shell mount /system'.

10. Type 'adb push su /system/bin/'.

11. Type 'adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su'.

12. Type 'adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk'.

13. Type 'adb shell reboot'

14. All done! :)

Mac

5. Either mount the SD card on your Mac and copy the 'update-hero-signed.zip' to it as 'update.zip', or type './adb push update-hero-signed.zip /sdcard/update.zip'.

6. Type './adb shell reboot bootloader' to enter the bootloader.

7. Type './fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img' - the device will now boot into the recovery image.

8. Select the option to 'apply update.zip from SD card'. Let it complete.

9. Type './adb shell mount /system'.

10. Type './adb push su /system/bin/'.

11. Type './adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su'.

12. Type './adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk'.

13. Type './adb shell reboot'

14. All done! ;)

I plan to add other features to the update.zip (busybox etc, the ability to skip steps 9-13) but this works for now! <_<

P

Guest WinDoze9t8

Thanks for the TIP - I already did the other method as posted by JackDaniels_lee on XDA. What differences are there?

another question: I have found the orange.gif in systems/meida on the device but cant delete it as I would like as this is read only. Any tips on this removal would be great.