06/Jan - Installing the patched recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest trunker
Yeah, I need to update it. Use InstantRoot.apk or flashrec.

P

HTC hero 3GUK build 2.73.771.73

InstantRoot.apk pops up the notificatioin "Instant Root Failed - Root access was not acquired"

Flashrec fails as well

the command prompt for windows on page 1 fails fastboot with the error 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

any workaround, thanks and appreciated anyone.

Guest heero884
Newbie here on flashing...

Im running Win7 w/ HTC Sync, the adb lists devices fine and such and Im able to run commands. I tried running the windows shell and keep getting ./ invalid command, so I redid the commands to be line by line and that seems to go through ok, until I get to

SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.

#

Nothing seems to happen after that and I cant type anything in. If I run the adb shell /dala/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh manually I get the same message and cant type anything in the #.

I figured this process would take about 1-2 mins but nothing has happened after several mintes, so Im not sure if Im missing something when I redid the .bat file or because its not all on one line?

I have an HTC HERO from SPRINT in the US.

Just an FYI: Im assuming I need to do this to 1. run the nandroid backup and 2. when I put the update.zip on and goto flash I keep getting these 'verification failed' messages. I tried the modaco rom and the 2.1 1.7 rom from htc-developers forum.

thanks in advance!

I had the same issue myself. I tried both the Windows and OSX scripts with no luck. After a bit of investigating I was able to root my Sprint Hero after modifying the Windows batch file. I have attached my version of the batch file. I had to archive it as I'm not allowed to upload .bat files. Simply replace the .bat file from inside this archive with the one Paul included.

install_recovery_cdma_windows.zip

Guest Karaviro

HowTo install from a generic Rom with superuser permission (Works for Mac and Windows)

I upgraded my Hero with ROM-Version 1.7X.XXX.X over htc.com to ROM-Version:2.73.405.5

Then the way over „fastboot“ described on the top of this thread, doesn’t work anymore.

Go instead this way:

Thanks to „quantumrand“ from AndroidForums.com; and Bruno Braga for the hint in Post 73

other HowTos xda-developers; theunlockr - root in one click/

Here we go:

- Download the needed Tool „Recovery Flasher“ flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk >>>here<<<

- Download the the Fastbootzip on the top of this thread >>>here<<<

- Unpack the zip file

- Put flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk file from the first download

and the recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img file, (which you will find in the downloaded Zip-file)

on your sdcard of your hero

Two "Option/Ways" to "flash/install" your Recovery Image:

- On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > check Unknown sources

Option 1:

- Now you need a File Manager on your hero, download for example ASTRO File Manager in the market and install it

- Open ASTRO

- Click on flashrec-1.1.2-20090909.apk

- Choose „Open App Manager“

- Click „Install“

- Now go to your Progams and open the installed „Recovery Flasher“

- Type into the textbox "/sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img"

- Press „Flash it“

=> If you get message "Flash FAILED: Could not run command" try this:

Option 2:

- Download from market "Better Terminal Emulator" and install it

- Start the app "Better Terminal ..."

- Touch the screen, keyboard should pop up, write

su
- press enter - wait, a message could appear, if so, hit "allow allways" - write
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

- press enter

- if a new # appears on a new line, it succeeded

;)

- After this succeeds, turn off your Phone

- Turn on your Phone and press right away the „Home“ button and hold it, till you are in the „Andorid system recovery“ Mode.

- There, you press USB-MS toggle

Now your sdcard is connectet to your Mac.

- Download the Custom Rom of your choice, MoDaCo is brilliant, download it >>>here<<<

- Download the newest Radio >>>here<<<

- Don’t unpack these zip files, put them as they are on your connected sdcard

- Unable USB-MS by pressing „Home“ button

- Choose „Flash zip from sdcard“ on your Phone in recovery mode

- Choose the downloaded Custom Rom for example „3.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip“

- Wait till the Rom is installed

- Choose Wipe

- Choose Wipe data/factory reset

- Reboot and enjoy your MoDaCo Rom

- For Radio update, repeat „Flash zip from sdcard“ and choose the Radio-Zip instead of the Rom-Zip.

Big Thank You to you Guys from MoDaCo, brilliant work!

Edited by Paul

Guest deadphill
HowTo install from a generic Rom (I did this on a Mac)

- Now go to your Progams and open the installed „flashrec“

- Type into the textbox "/sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img"

- Press „Flash it“

- After this succeeds, turn off your Phone

- Turn on your Phone and press right away the „Home“ button and hold it, till you are in the „Andorid system recovery“ Mode.

-

My problem with this is when I try to do this I just get failed. Nothing else just that. I have the latest flashrec installed.

Even when I click backup I cant do this. I get backup failed.

Oh and as a tip, to enter the details you have to click on the hidden button which can be found by pressing the blank area to the right of the backup box. You might not be able to flash but you will be able to get a bit further in the process!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Karaviro
My problem with this is when I try to do this I just get failed. Nothing else just that. I have the latest flashrec installed.

Even when I click backup I cant do this. I get backup failed.

Oh and as a tip, to enter the details you have to click on the hidden button which can be found by pressing the blank area to the right of the backup box. You might not be able to flash but you will be able to get a bit further in the process!

Cheers

Phill

You're right, now, out of my MoDaCo 3.1 the flashing with "Recovery Flasher" doesn't work eighter.

Did you try the method from theunlockr.com?

It worked for me, now also out of MoDaCo 3.1

here:

=> If you get message "Flash FAILED: Could not run command" try this:

- Download from market "Better Terminal Emulator" and install it

- Start the app "Better Terminal ..."

- Touch the screen, keyboard should pop up, write

su
press enter - wait a sec. then a message could appear, hit "allow allways" - write
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

press enter

- if a new # appears on a new line, it succeeded

Which Rom are you using

i am a total Noob, im just googeling

would be nice if someone who understand this stuff, give a comment?!

Edited by Karaviro

Guest bowdowntozoltan

so this is the guide to rooting right? Theres so many guides out there and most of them say rooting in the title, but this sounds exactly like it.

Guest Karaviro
so this is the guide to rooting right? Theres so many guides out there and most of them say rooting in the title, but this sounds exactly like it.

Bowdowntozoltan i am a total noob, and i asked my self why there isn't any step by step manual for someone that comes new

cause

The MoDaCo Rom Thread leads you to this Thread, and the HowTo from this thread doesn't work anymore

The information how you get your hero flashed, is spread over all the posts and really disturbing for a newcomer

and now we don't get any answers if there is something wrong and what could be done better - and deadphill doesn't give feedback if it succeeded now

With this HowTo i wrote, i got my HTC Hero flashed with MoDaCo, and my Smartphone wasn't "rooted".

Edited by Karaviro

Guest sinnadyr

Well, there are many ways to root your phone, so no specific answers is correct.

I used flashrec myself the first time, it worked then but not anymore.

What you need to do is follow the fastboot guide when the flashrec-method dont work.

download the fastboot-tool, then boot ur hero while holding the back-button and there were some commands (written on ur comp) like

fastboot flash_recovery <recovery_image.img>

e.g "fastboot flash_recovery /sdcard/Amon_RA_recoveryv.1.5.3.img"

or something. Read around a little.

But only doing this doesnt root your phone, you'd have to have a rooted ROM, like MCR. The best way to check if your ROM is rooted is to connect the phone with a USB-cable, download the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) tool, run ADB as described on most download pages.

Be sure to apply the debug mode under application or something on ur HERO's settings.

"adb devices" <- list devices connected.

"adb shell" <- Enters the shell on ur phone

"su" <- if just "#" appears, it's rooted, if not, it will replay that you dont have permission to SU (super user).

all MCR comes with a "superuser permissions"-app, if you got that, ur phone is rooted !

EDIT: I am in a bit of a hurry, so sorry for unspecific guides. Some of the commands might be wrong, but they look similiar to what I have written

Edited by sinnadyr

Thanks!

But what is this: ./install-recovery-gsm-linux.sh and what does it actually do?

pretty much what it says, it installs the recovery image from a linux computer...

what recovery image?

dude, have you looked at the title of the thread?

@all: i think all you need to do is "adb push recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img /data/recovery.img" and restart your phone, as the service which flashes it at every boot is not disabled in all init.rc's i have seen so far. or am i wrong here? gonna test it later...

Guest Dr. dre
@all: i think all you need to do is "adb push recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img /data/recovery.img"

OR

All you guys can also use

'adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img'

This works for me everytime

Guest giorgit

adb-windows shell reboot bootloader

first command is OK.

in second i got this one... why?

c:\sdk\tools\hero>fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

(Phone HTC Hero T-mobile. Build Number 2.73.110.26 CL#69351)

Guest Dr. dre

adb push recovery-RA-Hero-v1.5.3.1.img /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img

Just use these 2 commands and you have the custom recovery image.

Guest giorgit
adb push recovery-RA-Hero-v1.5.3.1.img /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.3.1.img

Just use these 2 commands and you have the custom recovery image.

c:\sdk\tools\hero>adb-windows shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-her

o-v1.5.3.1.img

error writing recovery: Permission denied

Edited by giorgit

Guest kendon
c:\sdk\tools\hero>adb-windows shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-her

o-v1.5.3.1.img

error writing recovery: Permission denied

you need to create a goldcard and downgrade your phone first.

Guest giorgit
you need to create a goldcard and downgrade your phone first.

Downgrade to which version? as i know 2.73.110.26 is a rootable... and i have installed it on my Hero.

Also what does goldcard mean? how can i do it?

(i have poroblems to flash recovery imige even with "flashrec" app. )

Edited by giorgit

Guest Karaviro
Downgrade to which version? as i know 2.73.110.26 is a rootable... and i have installed it on my Hero.

Also what does goldcard mean? how can i do it?

(i have poroblems to flash recovery imige even with "flashrec" app. )

Before you do the goldcard method, did you try to do it my way, like described in Post #80 in this Thread?

I updated regular form HTC Generic 1.7XXXX with the official update from htc.com to the ROM-Version:2.73.405.5

then the Fastboot Method described at the top of this thread didn't work anymore

but the Way described in Post Post #80 did work!

Guest Dr. dre
Before you do the goldcard method, did you try to do it my way, like described in Post #80 in this Thread?

I updated regular form HTC Generic 1.7XXXX with the official update from htc.com to the ROM-Version:2.73.405.5

then the Fastboot Method described at the top of this thread didn't work anymore

but the Way described in Post Post #80 did work!

This way it works but only if you have Superuser permission on your phone, and this person doesn't has superuser permission on his phone as it the T-mobile Stock ROM. The only way is the Goldcard Method.

Guest Karaviro
This way it works but only if you have Superuser permission on your phone, and this person doesn't has superuser permission on his phone as it the T-mobile Stock ROM. The only way is the Goldcard Method.

thanks, didn't know that

now some things are clearer for me

so t-mobile "hero" users can't do the upgrade to "2.73.405.5" from htc.com?

have a nice day

Edited by Karaviro