OpenVPN on android

Guest Christophe Vandeplas

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any luck installing and running tunneldroid on the Motorola Droid? The instructions for the installation of openvpn (in the Readme) talk about using adb and going into recovery mode for another phone. On the Droid I'm not able to use the USB in recovery mode. However I have rooted the phone and will therefore may be able to copy the files over a adb shell and then a su to mount /system rw but am not sure if that is the right thing to do because there is no way of restoring the old libs if the phone hangs on reboot.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried to intall openvpn on Samsung Galaxy following instructions in the readme of http://sourceforge.net/projects/tunneldroid/ but unfortunately the shell reply with "you haven't enough space on the device". Actually I have all the space I need on the device, but it seems that /system has a separate partition.

I tried to remount in rw mode but nothing happened, so I rebooted in recovery mode (recovery 4.4 by drakaz) and passed the command

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

as root with adb. Now the partition is in rw, but the message is still there, and I can't push the files.

I tried also to create a directory in / and punt in system/lib and system/bin the symbolic links of those files. Once rebooted to normal system it didn't boot ;)

I started again recovery and checked for the directory with openvpn files and it was disappeared :D :( even if symbolic links was still in their place.

I removed sym links and uploaded original .so files and now the phone is working again, but still without openvpn...

Can you halp me please?

p.s. Galaxy with rom Galaxo 1.1

UPDATE: solved. I romoved all unused audio files from media to get more space availible and now I have openvpn!

Now: tunneldroid doesn't work, it stays on "connecting" for a while and doesn't respond.

I can run openvpn with Better Terminal (very good shell, found on the Market) but the services I tried (SwissVPN and UnblockVPN) doesn't start due some unsupported configuration in the ovpn file.

Do you know a service paid or free (it's better :D) that you tested and that works with Android OpenVPN?

I got a Nexus one and I have installed TunnelDroid but I dont have a Tun.ko available and I couldnt find one on any forum.

Anyway knows if a Tun.ko exists for N1 ? if so , then please please help me out ! I need it badly to connect VPN and use google voice which is blocked by my ISP.

Thanks !

• 1 year later...
Guest AllTimeProgramming

Hello, I am a newbie in Android and Tunneldroid and your site. I founf Tunneldroid helpful and implemented ni my application. But am facing the following problem.

Can anyone help me with this :

What is MGMT_HOST and MGMT_PORT in OpenVPNManagerClient and what is it meant for ?

I tried 127.0.0.1 and remote host url and 7171 and 443 but in all ways while creating new Socket in connectToManger(), I get exception "Connection refused". And it just continues even if the application is closed. It stops when the emulator is closed, till thne I keep getting this error in logcat :

05-10 12:52:42.655: INFO/OpenVPNManagerClient(358): Connecting to Manager...
05-10 12:52:42.655: ERROR/OpenVPNManagerClient(358): IO Error Connect :/127.0.0.1:7171 - Connection refused

[/codebox]

I am really confused with this part and have a query - Process of openvpn will be running on the device only, and the ovpn file and try to connect to remote vpn through openvpn. I believ ethis Socket connection is used to retrieve the openvpn logs (tha we can see in Process normally). Is my above understanding correct or not !

And finally, wy do I get this error, how to handle it ? Please help me. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Speculatrix

Hi,

I installed Friedrich Schauffelhut's OpenVPN Installer and OpenVPN Settings from the market, and found a suitable tun.ko file for my desire Z running modaco version of Froyo.

Openvpn connects to the server and the desireZ gets a tun0 device but no IP address, the log doesn't tell me why - I have wound the verbosity up to 5.

If I add the IP address manually with "ifconfig tun0 1.2.3.4 pointopoint 1.2.3.1" and add routes, I still don't get any traffic flowing. If I use "tcpdump -l tun0" I see no traffic.

I would be grateful for any ideas!

thanks

Paul

Guest cyde
Hi,

I installed Friedrich Schauffelhut's OpenVPN Installer and OpenVPN Settings from the market, and found a suitable tun.ko file for my desire Z running modaco version of Froyo.

Openvpn connects to the server and the desireZ gets a tun0 device but no IP address, the log doesn't tell me why - I have wound the verbosity up to 5.

If I add the IP address manually with "ifconfig tun0 1.2.3.4 pointopoint 1.2.3.1" and add routes, I still don't get any traffic flowing. If I use "tcpdump -l tun0" I see no traffic.

I would be grateful for any ideas!

thanks

Paul

Okay, I recently got my 3rd Android device (my 2nd is a Galaxy Tab) in the shape of the Acer Iconia A500. And I went through all the hardache of getting OpenVPN installed and running. I used this guide to get it installed. (as well as the source for my tun.ko file)

One of the key issues is to have busybox installed. The problem with the specific OpenVPN is its hardcoded wrong path for the ifconfig and route commands. I thought that I could just softlink the bb folder (ln -s /system/xbin /system/xbin/bb), but I found that it didnt work (even through from the command prompt I could use the full path). At this point the error message (or lack of one) was that the interface and routes were not being assigned. (the best was I found this was running openvpn --config <filename> from a command prompt on my android tablet to see where it died - The first time I tried this on the Acer I found I had the wrong version of tun.ko for my tablets kernal).

It was only when I removed the softlink, created the bb subfolder, then performed the link to the required files themselves that it worked.

ln -s /system/xbin/ifconfig /system/xbin/bb/ifconfig

ln -s /system/xbin/route /system/xbin/bb/route

The one advantage I had was that I had a known working ovpn config file ( from both my HTC Hero and Galaxy Tab) and knew the problem was with that.

I cant answer in specifics to your device, but I hope this confusing answer is a small assistance.