22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest GrantyUK

I tried updating a stock HTC Hero build 1.76.61.3 146733 to 2.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip.

Because I didn't want to lose all my settings and SMS messages I updated WITHOUT wiping and got the following:

1. At startup the unlock pattern popped up BEFORE the SIM lock request then again afterwards

2. SMS messages looked like they were intact but got a 'Loading...' message when I tried to view a thread

I also tried the correct way of wiping then updating and it looked ok (very fast!) but I obviously lost everything so wasn't willing to proceed, so did a nandroid restore.

The question is, when the official HTC update is released will they insist on wiping the phone also? Are there any apps that can save your SMS messages etc before a wipe?

Cheers.

Edit: I decided to go with the new ROM tonight because I noticed from the leaked screenshots that a factory reset is planned when the official update is released. Here are the steps I did:

1. Installed and ran HTC Sync to backup phone contacts

2. Followed steps 1 to 11 from the guide on:

http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/08/how-to-ga...-your-htc-hero/

3. From the recovery image menu, chose 'nandroid backup'

4. From the recovery image menu, restart phone

5. Mounted the SD card using the Notification pulldown on the phone

6. Copied the contents of my SD card to PC

7. Copy the ROM to root of SD card and renamed to update.zip

8. Shutdown the phone and boot to recovery image (see details on guide mentioned on step 2)

9. From the recovery image menu, chose 'wipe/factory reset'

10. From the recovery image menu, apply the update

11. Restart the phone and apply latest radio using same steps above (5, 6, 7, 8, 10)

12. Run HTC Sync again to restore phone contacts

Took about an hour to set stuff up again. I used SMS Backup to save my SMS messages to my Google account (before I upgraded to the new ROM). Everything is very fast and I've got no complaints. Very nice work Paul. Look forward to the next one!

Edited by GrantyUK

Guest Nick Qi

Hi, Paul!

I tried both the MoDaCo Custom ROM (2.0) and the shipping ROM HTC Generic 2.73.405.5.

The new ROMs were running smoothly and quickly. But I'm wondering why the GPS was getting yawing in the new ROMs.

I tried Google Map and other navigation software, and the position point showing on the map was away from the right point for almost 1km.

Do you know the reason?

Guest chucky.egg
Is it posible for someone with a little time to create an idiots guide to do everything step by step - it would be a huge help!

Yeah, I second that.

My Hero's on it's way, and I want to put the latest ROM on first thing, but most of this is making no sense to me so far (bearing in mind I don't even have the handset yet!)

Guest licenced
I tried both the MoDaCo Custom ROM (2.0) and the shipping ROM HTC Generic 2.73.405.5.

The new ROMs were running smoothly and quickly. But I'm wondering why the GPS was getting yawing in the new ROMs.

I tried Google Map and other navigation software, and the position point showing on the map was away from the right point for almost 1km.

Not had any trouble with mine - I installed both the latest Radio and the HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 ROM and GPS is working fine - just tested it while out at lunch a minute ago

Dave

Guest licenced
Yeah, I second that.

My Hero's on it's way, and I want to put the latest ROM on first thing, but most of this is making no sense to me so far (bearing in mind I don't even have the handset yet!)

1) Watch the video and read the instructions on this page, then do it

2) Download the ROM of your choice from the first page of this thread

3) Watch the video and read the instructions on this page, then do it

Easy :-)

If you want to flash a Radio file separately just treat it like another ROM flash - rename it to update.zip and follow the instructions in step 3 above again

Guest chucky.egg

Thanks

kinda nervous doing a ROM update on a new (to me) OS and a device only 15 minutes old!

For any other Android newbies out there - it really is as simple as copy a Zip, apply it. Follow the instructions and you'll do fine

Guest laughingmonsta

I struggled for days trying to understand what was posted on these forum boards, but the unlocker videos above are fantastic and I followed to the tea and voila perfected updated T-Mobile G2 with latest rom and radio update 30mins later!

Just going to pipe in and note that I am having some issues along these lines as well. Very erratic all around. While mobile data seems to be the most erratic, I am also seeing some bad behavior on wifi (and especially a lot of glitches when switching between them), so it might be a problem with the system rom proper rather than the radio rom (assuming that the radio rom code for mobile networks and wifi is mostly separate and the common networking happens in system). Nothing terribly wrong with the speed of the network connection when it works, 1.5/0.4 Mbit down/up on HSDPA, though.

Rather troublesome, but the speed is addictive so I intend to soldier through and see if a new update arrives and fixes it.

EDIT: Hey, we are both in Sweden, what carrier are you on? Could be that we are seeing the same carrier-related trouble :)

No problem with WiFi on my network in Dubai, but I am seeing the network not found error. HSPA speed seem pretty decent, no complaints here. What problems are you having with WiFi? Have you tried switching channels on your router?

Guest Elepĥantman

Hi,

My 5 cent on a few days of using the 2.73 ROM.

The upgrade was a bit of a pain because I had to backup all my contacts onto SIM card (My Backup seems not to store all of them for an obscure reason, and pushing nandroid's data.img after upgrade failed checking). Once I did that, and loaded it all in the new ROM, re-did most of my settings I was back into my previous look & feel.

At first look, all was ok except for a SMS thread not opening (it contained 100+ messages). So I deleted the thread, and now all is ok on that end.

Contrary to people on this thread, I dont seem to have any radio problems, all seems to work fine. Couldn't say if there is any progress or not compared to before though since I'm in a well covered town.

I've got the feeling flash has a regression. It's just global feeling but it looks like flash banners on websites are longer to come up, and I had used a flash radio player that worked fine on previous ROM and didn't produce sound on this one. Dailymotion movies dont come up either. On another site where flash videos used to work (bad but worked), I now get a "content not supported" message.

Last, over the first round my battery got flat unusually fast. Maybe because I've stopped using Advanced Task Manager to auto-kill processes, if I continue having this issue I'll try re-activating that.

Guest eazymoneygs

PLEASE HELP ME I FLASHED HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

ON TO MY MYTOUCH AND NOW I CANT GET MY FLASH RECOVERY OR ANY SCREEN TO COME UP DID I WIPE MY PHONE ? AND BRAKE IT I CANT GET TO QUICK BOOT EIGTHER ! ANYWAY SOMEONE CAN HELP OR AM I SCREWED !!

I have repackaged the HTC generic, Orange UK and T-Mobile UK ROMs in update.zip (for use with the modified recovery image) for your pleasure. :)

The version details and links are below, note that the files include boot and system images only, I have elected not to include recovery, radio etc. I have however posted the radio seperately.

If your device has a ROM revision not listed here, please post a nandroid backup so I can create an update.zip! Many thanks to those who have already contributed backups so far.

Generally speaking these shouldn't require a wipe, but I can't guarantee that. Also, note these are completely stock and unrooted - you'll need to root afterwards if required.

Enjoy! :)

P

Rooted ROMs - note these ROMs are repacked as update zips and are identical to the generic ROMs EXCEPT they are pre-rooted. Radio ROMs are NOT included unless otherwise stated.

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 - download

Shipping ROMs - note these ROMs are repacked as update zips and are completely generic (i.e. NOT rooted). Radio ROMs are NOT included unless otherwise stated.

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 - download

HTC Generic 1.79.482.3 - download

HTC Generic 1.76.405.6 - download

Orange UK 1.76.61.3 - download

T-Mobile UK 1.76.110.6 - download

Shipping ROMs in RUU format - these ROMs are packaged in RUU format for installation via windows and are completely generic (i.e. NOT rooted). Use of update zip ROMs instead is recommended!

Radios

63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 - download (as packaged with HTC Generic 2.73.405.5)

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31 - download

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15 - download

63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25 - download

MoDaCo Custom ROM

Check out this topic for details of the MoDaCo Custom ROM!

Guest bryanchapman9999

Sorry for the think question, but I'm just not sure....

I have a UK Hero on Vodafone with the MCR 2.2 firmware

If I go to about phone, I see my baseband version as - 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25

1. Can I apply this one HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 ???

2. Do I just do a normal apply update.zip form the recovery boot

3. Should I reflash with MCR2.2 again afterwards ??

Many thanks

Bryan

Guest bryanchapman9999
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

:)

P

Thanks for the speedy reply Paul.

Have run update.zip and rebooted - its now gone back into the recovery ROM and is 'Formatting CACHE:...' is this normal?

Guest Igniztion

It's now confirmed that ROM 2.73.405.5 is the official HTC Update. It's now available from www.htc.com at least for the Nordic region (Link here) (In Norwegian, but should be easy to find the ROM version)

Not that I doubted you Paul, but always good to get the information from official sources.

Edited by Igniztion

Guest bryanchapman9999
Thanks for the speedy reply Paul.

Have run update.zip and rebooted - its now gone back into the recovery ROM and is 'Formatting CACHE:...' is this normal?

Not to worry, booted again and all is fine - many thanks Paul

Bryan

Guest darkskiez
PLEASE HELP ME I FLASHED HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

ON TO MY MYTOUCH AND NOW I CANT GET MY FLASH RECOVERY OR ANY SCREEN TO COME UP DID I WIPE MY PHONE ? AND BRAKE IT I CANT GET TO QUICK BOOT EIGTHER ! ANYWAY SOMEONE CAN HELP OR AM I SCREWED !!

The My Touch is a htc magic, which is a different phone to the hero, not a particularly good move to flash the radio rom never mind firmware for the wrong phone.

I wonder if there is a way to recover it with an HTC Serial cable plugged into the USB port.

If you ever recover it, i'd be interested if you posted how you did it.

Guest stripealipe

Ok, as a sidenote here, whilst trying to find out why certain ROMs and conditions do not seem to create thumbnails for the Album application, possibly with certain card types, i found the format option on Modaco 2.2 does not seem to work. All working on the latest 2.73.751.4 build fyi.

Nice new people widget on this build too.

Guest mattvolatile

Hi! First of al - thanks to Paul and this forum in general - I stumbled across it after being frustrated that I couldn't update my Orange-branded Hero to the new firmware via official channels and figured someone would have found a way round the prevention! I managed to follow the instructions here and have got 2.73.405.5 working perfectly - it does seem much quicker!

One weird question, though - the "Sync Groups" option that I'm sure used to be on People | Groups| Menu seems to have disappeared, and my phone is now synching all my google contacts rather than just the group I want, with no obvious way to select the group I want! Has this option moved somewhere else? In general, is there a complete ChangeLog for 2.73 from 1.5?

==========

ETA: Left the phone overnight, "Sync Groups" was still missing. Was playing with the phone on the train, "Sync Groups" was still missing. Then, literally, *poof* - it was there as an option. The People | All menu suddenly changed too, losing the "More..." button that linked to a list with two options "Snyc Google Contacts" and "Sync Exchange Contacts", replacing it with just "Sync Exchange Contacts".

Weird. I didn't do anything as far as I can tell to have made these changes happen... So it's not a problem now, just a mystery.

Edited by mattvolatile

how do I add system folder to system.img so I can do update via fastboot. I have s-off hboot so I can do this.

is there maybe a way to extract system.img from ruu .exe file ?

thanx

Guest eddablin

Hi sorry for a newbie question:

I installed the recovery image and then installed the Mocado custom rom from here. It is great. It runs really fast now.

I am now confused with the radios. I used the following zip from the first post:

2.2-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip

Is my radio updated? What do I have to do to update it now? Do I need another clean wipe?