10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest masterpfa
I will be releasing in the coming days, a very small update.zip to disable compcache for people who want to run TCK without compache.

Also, a UI app to toggle compcache without rebooting and also setting disksize_kb is coming.

I'll keep you posted in my TCK topic !

It will be called MCR settings and might be bundled in next MCR releases.

Sorry , no timeframe yet !

Cheers !

Great news, I haven't conclusively been able to pin my phones performance to compcache but having the ability to try with and without should be a great bonus.

Thanks Teknologist

Currently on the MCR3.1 Beta so not a problem waiting

:)

Guest masterpfa
Woohoo!

Ok, so I'm now back on MCR 3.0 with Ammon Ra 1.5.2.

I used Ammon Ra to partition the SD Card, what's the easiest way to check if A2SD is working properly?

There has been some post on this under the title "A2SD not working" or something similar

it did have, if memory serves me well, some adb commands to check this. :)

Guest stevenz
Anyone having and issue removing apps such as footprints and HTC Peep? When trying to removed I'm getting "read only file system"? See below

rm: cannot remove '/system/app/HtcFootprints.apk': Read-only file system

rm: remove '/system/app/HtcFootprints.odex'?

Try;

adb remount

first.

Could remove Drop bear but that is different

Yeah, I'd recommend against doing that...

Does _anyone_ use that dopey Footprints app!?

Guest huey-t

how's the keyboard typing speed? any noticeable lag/keystroke misses? MCR3.0's keyboard is pretty good when typing but I do occasionally encounter a bit of lag here and there, resulting in incorrect/missed keystrokes.

Guest Chicaned

I'm still getting no HTC widgets even with beta 2. Strange. To be fair though, I have upgraded from 3.0 and I couldn't get widgets on that either. Considering the widgets are pre-installed on beta 2, you would have thought I'd be able to see them. Also, if i try and install them from the market, it still gives installation unsuccessful.

Worked perfect for me.

Installed both beta1 and beta 2 over 3.0 without wiping. Everything works smooth and very fast.

Typing tested with both original and scandinavian keyboard and is very responsive....

Edited by hbert

Guest paaland
To answer my second question myself:

Just did a compleate wipe/factory reset and then installed beta 2.

Reinstalled Sygic Mobile Maps and had no problems activating the maps, so apparently the device id was unchanged. Good to know.

Not only, when I changed the bundled 2GB sd card that came with the Hero with an 8GB one I had to reactivate the maps (did copy all files from old card to new). But the app would not accept my previous activation code since my device id had changed. So atleast it's tied to the sd-card some how. But Sygic was happy to reset my map<->device binding when I explained what happened via an email.

Guest keyra74

alright i couldn't resist when i saw the word "beta" and got a modaco ad free (could have been lifetime licence thou)

this rom is indeed faster than 3.0, specially on apps like radiant or handcent

keyboard typing seems smoother too

Guest teknologist

Been using MCR 3.1Beta for a day and I can tell it's very very fast and responsive and no sluggishness/slowdowns at all with compcache enabled !

Is it me , or others are experiencing the same ? Are people who reported sluggishness with compcache using MCR 3.1beta, how does it feel with compcache ?

Thanks Paul, this is definitely a huge improvement for the MCR ROM on Hero !

Edited by teknologist

Guest Dan Mullen
Been using MCR 3.1Beta for a day and I can tell it's very very fast and responsive and no sluggishness/slowdowns at all with compcache enabled !

Is it me , or others are experiencing the same ? Are people who reported sluggishness with compcache using MCR 3.1beta, how does it feel with compcache ?

Thanks Paul, this is definitely a huge improvement for the MCR ROM on Hero !

I just updated to beta 2 last night, so I'll report back after a day of full use :)

Guest Konrad Walsh

Yep me too.. and looking at this forum Paul has done well financially. I know some people think he shouldnt charge for something he gets for free... but thats crap!!! others get it for free and do a crap job of compiling everything.

Only issue that I couldnt care less about is that the HTC apps aren't there and never were and cannot be installed.

Interestingly though, I only got voice search active in the beta 2 version. It was there before this. I had winmo for years and its very confusing how Android works like this. If something is there, shouldn't it .... uh... be there??

Anyway Paul, thanks for your hard work.

HTC HERO

MODACO 3.1 Beta 2 Rom

Edited by Konrad Walsh

Guest Dan Mullen
I'm still getting no HTC widgets even with beta 2. Strange. To be fair though, I have upgraded from 3.0 and I couldn't get widgets on that either. Considering the widgets are pre-installed on beta 2, you would have thought I'd be able to see them. Also, if i try and install them from the market, it still gives installation unsuccessful.

Are you actually going through the process of adding a homescreen widget, choosing the HTC menu option and browsing those? The 4 new widgets should be available for selection.

Guest Konrad Walsh
Are you actually going through the process of adding a homescreen widget, choosing the HTC menu option and browsing those? The 4 new widgets should be available for selection.

I am... and no they aren't there. I had them when I tried out the ASOP Eclair ROM so knew what they looked like.. But they are definitely not there. I am guessing that is I re-flashed and fully wiped they would show up, but thats not worth it. :)

Guest Chicaned

Yeah, I click on the + symbol in the bottom right corner and click HTC widget. None of the new widgets appear. I'll need to try a clean install to make sure. I really want to wait till Android 2.1 comes out before I do that. Will have to wait.

Orange? Can't we be a cooler colour?

There doesn't seem to be any sign of the HTC widgets btw.

Did you wipe AFTER installing the ROM? You need to wipe BEFORE.

Don't forget you get to the widgets by going to the homescreen and doing add -> HTC widget.

P