10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Every time i try to update twitter (peep) i get the com.htc.provider has stopped working etc... I can temporarily fix it by killing all other process, but as soon as thing start to get full again ti keeps crashing.

Is anyone else having this problem?

ME TOO but when using random apps and also i cant see sms conversations it just says "loading..."

Might have to perform a full clean install but dont want to as its such an ARSE!

Also can i say great work on this new rom :) as its super quick but just has some little annoying problems.

Edited by htclova

Great work with this Paul, can I ask a quick Q? I installed the MCR a week or so back, I see this thread is now updated to 2.3.

Any chance of a Change Log so I can decide if it's worth an update? Can't easily see what's changed between this and the version I have , not even sure what version I have (is there an easy way of telling?).

Keep up the great work.

Great work with this Paul, can I ask a quick Q? I installed the MCR a week or so back, I see this thread is now updated to 2.3.

Any chance of a Change Log so I can decide if it's worth an update? Can't easily see what's changed between this and the version I have , not even sure what version I have (is there an easy way of telling?).

Keep up the great work.

The second post in this thread is the change-log

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...nese-enhanced/#

Guest pedrocks

I'm getting issues recieving SMS's and viewing the sms conversations. I found a fix in another post, but without offending anyone, could someone explain where and how to apply this SQL fix to my phone??

adb shell
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
ALTER TABLE sms ADD COLUMN index_on_sim INTEGER DEFAULT -1;
(Press Control-D)
exit[/codebox]

SMS fix

Guest surfsmurf

Okay, this is kinda odd. Just tried Market Enabler on MCR 2.3, which just resulted in a reboot. Tried a second time now the phone was freshly booted - reboot again. Hmmm.

Guest surfsmurf
Okay, this is kinda odd. Just tried Market Enabler on MCR 2.3, which just resulted in a reboot. Tried a second time now the phone was freshly booted - reboot again. Hmmm.

Ah well, third time's the charm! Strange though...

Guest Ignis1982

Hi there Paul.

First of all congratulations on your outstanding success. The MCR is giving a new life to our Hero's. Keep up the great work!

I'm a member of a spanish forum dedicated to HTC devices (HTCMania.com) and, of course, there's a good amount of Hero users. Since you said you were open to suggestions for MCR 2.4 we have been discussing some features or issues related to your MCR so you could take note and, hopefully, address them.

We have been filtering all sugestions and came up with this list

Important stuff (AWESOME news if added):

• Send files using bluetooth (either adding an app to MCR or modding the HTC rom)
  • An option to choose where to install the apps (Some in the Hero, some in the SD)
  • A switch widget to change from 3G to 2G. Something like the GPS switch. 2G speeds are enough for twitter, weather etc, and saves a lot of power.
  • For some reason 2.3 isn't as snappier as 2.2, ie: While moving between the different home screens it feels a bit heavier... Maybe a bug with the new contacts widget?

Interesting stuff. Desirable but we can survive without it :):

• An option to Enable/Disable the startup sound without editing files (People have problem signing files)
    • An option to Enable/Disable the clock widget animation
    • In calendar application, events older than one month are not synchronized.
    • There is no way to change an event from one calendar to other when editing.
    • Decrease input lag in keyboard
    • A switch widget to enable/disable the lock pattern (Sometimes you need it, sometimes it's annoying)
    • Include the APN's as in 2.2
    • Zoom in camera mode by using the trackball
    • A change font size option in SMS (or other places if avaliable)
    • An option to enable more home screens so we can use more "big" widgets
    • An option to have the blockscreen and trasparent notificacions as in DDR rom would be nice
    • Market icon as in DDR rom

I hope you find this list interesting and brings you some ideas for future releases. Everyone is invited to discuss this list as it could prove useful for Paul

Greetings from the HTCmania community

I'm getting issues recieving SMS's and viewing the sms conversations. I found a fix in another post, but without offending anyone, could someone explain where and how to apply this SQL fix to my phone??

adb shell
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
ALTER TABLE sms ADD COLUMN index_on_sim INTEGER DEFAULT -1;
(Press Control-D)
exit[/codebox]

SMS fix

Using android sdk open the cmd and type in as above with the hero driver running and the phone attatched via usb. like when u rooted the phone!

http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.6_r1/index.html

guys...

i just flashed this ROm, have to say i got my Hero today, and i have only got in.....(played football :))

WOW....

this is so much better than what i briefly used today..... quicker, but i did have the latest firmware anyways....

Thanks PAUL!!!!!

Guest adolfopacheco

Paul

I have a problem, I've had around 3 HTC HERO, my business is selling cel phones and I have had the Black, White and Brown Hero, but my problem is this, I have installed your version without problem on the first 2 Heros, but the third one, came up with HBOOT-1.76.0007 and therefore I am not able to use the cm-hero-recovery file no more. Is there a way that I can change the HBOOT version? Cause I have tried with the Recovery Flasher apk, but it when I try to do the backup. it says that it failed.

Is there another way that I can change the HBOOT version and install HBOOT-1.76.0004 instead of the one that came out of the box?

If it is useful, I have Kernel 2.6.27-44690c1a and version 2.73.707.9.

Thanks

Version 2.3 is now online. Most of the changes are under the hood (again), you'll notice that you get the new People widget, facilitated by changing the base ROM.

The ROM is now available in regular and chinese versions, and the 'enhanced' features are now an addon pack to the base of your choice.

There will be some cool stuff coming soon in 'enhanced', and some even cooler stuff once HTC release the kernel source, but i'm open to requests for 2.4! :)

P

Edited by adolfopacheco

Paul

I have a problem, I've had around 3 HTC HERO, my business is selling cel phones and I have had the Black, White and Brown Hero, but my problem is this, I have installed your version without problem on the first 2 Heros, but the third one, came up with HBOOT-1.76.0007 and therefore I am not able to use the cm-hero-recovery file no more. Is there a way that I can change the HBOOT version? Cause I have tried with the Recovery Flasher apk, but it when I try to do the backup. it says that it failed.

Is there another way that I can change the HBOOT version and install HBOOT-1.76.0004 instead of the one that came out of the box?

If it is useful, I have Kernel 2.6.27-44690c1a and version 2.73.707.9.

Thanks

Hi,

Paul already wrote something about that in a dedicated post :

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-the-new-hboot/

I applied the ROM last night and it's like having a new phone!

I only have a couple of issues:

1. My clock always shows Dublin as my location, with a moon even though it is day time.

2. I connect to my cars bluetooh system to make calls, obviously when I step out of my car it disconnects. I get the message "Bluetooh headset disconnected" which will then keep on popping up until I turn Bluetooth off and back on again.

OK, as I type this I am getting a popup with:

Sorry!

The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

First time I forced closed it the Touch FLO restarted. The second time it didn't seem to have any effect. I'll see how it goes.

Upgraded from MoDaCo 2.0 to 2.3 yesterday and added the latest radio. The WiFi became unstable, it lost contact every 20 seconds. Did a wipe afterwards but it did not help. Had to first wipe the phone, flash the phone again, add the radio and then it worked fine. 

It seems like a wipe (factory reset) in most cases are needed after a ROM upgrade after seeing all the problems people get after upgrading without doing the wipe first. 

Upgraded from MoDaCo 2.0 to 2.3 yesterday and added the latest radio. The WiFi became unstable, it lost contact every 20 seconds. Did a wipe afterwards but it did not help. Had to first wipe the phone, flash the phone again, add the radio and then it worked fine.

It seems like a wipe (factory reset) in most cases are needed after a ROM upgrade after seeing all the problems people get after upgrading without doing the wipe first.

I don't agree with you. Maybe a wipe is needed in some case, but certainly not in "most cases". I use Modaco since the v1.4, and upgraded each new release since then, and never had to wipe again. Don't forget that for one user who posts on the forum because he has a problem, you have 100 or 1000 users (or more ?) who don't report anything, because they don't have any problem !

Hi. Is it posible to implement VPN with PPTP into this rom like in the CyanogenMod-rom?

I'w found out that it will be aviable in 1.6 dounut, but it has been back-ported i belive.

guys, i am new to this...

i flashed latest ROM last night, easily....i bought it earlier in the day

i currently have as Radio part:

63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25

Is there a newer one?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me.

:)

Edited by shokka9

Guest pedrocks
Using android sdk open the cmd and type in as above with the hero driver running and the phone attatched via usb. like when u rooted the phone!

http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.6_r1/index.html

Cheers, I applied the fix which seems to work now. Think I need to do a clean wipe of my phone though, I installed the update ontop of my T-mobile rom and things seem to be abit slower.

I seem to be getting quite a few com.htc.provider force closes since I upgraded. Doesn't actually seem to break anything, but is a bit annoying.

Anyone else have that, and anyone know how to fix it?

i currently have as Radio part:

63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25

Is there a newer one?

Hi Shokka,

yes there are newer radios, you are currently using the first one. You'll find everything here :

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ate-zip-format/

or even newer the 63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08 :

http://android.smartphonefrance.info/firmw...7.08-signed.zip

thanks usoska

i will update it later on.

Must say, i am really impressed with the Android. Been on WinMo for last 12 months and will continue to also, but Android is smoother and more usable.

Kinda like cross of iPhone & WinMo OS'es. I like it.

Wont be long before i am making ROMs myself....more research needed....

:)

Guest adolfopacheco

Hello,

I know that Paul already talked about it, and that the solution he is saying is that we should use flashrec to install an older HBOOT, but the problem is that flashrec is not working on my Hero, I believe that it is because it has the new HBOOT out of the box. I would really like to find a solution cause the Hero I have is kind of the chinese version and I do not like the keyboard that it has.

Is there a way that I can either install the older HBOOT (without using flashrec) or use a diferent recovery image so I can flash Paul's ROM?

One weird thing I noticed is that regardless of the ROM version I use (Generic, Stock or Modaco) I always get the Invalid Vendor ID error.

I do not know if I am missing something, but your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Paul already wrote something about that in a dedicated post :

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-the-new-hboot/

Guest Funkyfin2000

I have the same blue tooth issue after leaving my car!

It keeps flashing up it has been disconnected!

Thanks for the latest Radio, when is paul going to update his radio page!

Where do the latest radios come from?

Guest phillevy
I have the same blue tooth issue after leaving my car!

It keeps flashing up it has been disconnected!

I've always had this also with all ROMS (Orange stock, 1.5.1 and 2.0 - wiped each time)