10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jonathanmusto
I just went back to 2.2 by restoring the nandroid backup I made before I upgraded to 2.3. It worked just fine, my Hero is flying once again!! :)

Not to discredit Paul and all his efforts with MCR (which is amazing!), but there was clearly *something* up with 2.3...

I'm back on 2.2 too, didn't need to wipe, just re-applied 2.2 Enhanced. Seems much faster than 2.3, and i didn't like the new people widget anyway...

Guest adolfopacheco

Has anyone tried this????? In XDA-DEVELOPERS someone said that there is a way to perform a CID Unlock for the HERO, but to be honest, it seems to complicated!!!

" How to remove the Hero's security and CID locks

This should allow you to remove the security and CID locks from the HTC Hero.

Do *not* attempt this if you haven't done this sort of thing before or are at all unsure; I can't be held responsible if you break your phone.

You will need:

* An HTC debug *serial* cable. There are instructions on how to build one elsewhere on xda-developers.com.

* Serial terminal software - I use minicom under linux myself.

* A USB cable.

* The zip file downloaded from here.

* A PC with a copy of the "fastboot" program.

* A HERO handset with the 63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25 radio firmware version and the 1.76.0004 HBOOT version. Other versions can probably be supported, but I've no interest in doing this myself. However, source is included in the download for others to do so if they wish.

Overview:

The MSM7201A used on the Hero has two CPU cores, an ARM9 and an ARM11. The ARM9 runs the radio software, and the ARM11 runs android. The ARM9 boots its own bootloaders first, which sets up the radio, and security. It then boots the ARM11 CPU, which runs its own bootloader, providing the "fastboot" functionality amongst other things.

Both CPUs use the same DRAM, but there is a hardware paritioning system built into the MSM7201A which prevents each CPU from writing to each others memory spaces. Luckily this can be disabled.

The ARM9 bootloader can be entered by holding VOLUP when powering up. The phone will vibrate three times and the power LED will be green. However the screen will remain black. This supports many serial commands, only a few of which are available in security-locked mode.

The ARM11 bootloader can be entered by holding VOLDOWN or BACK when powering up. It shows the three-androids-on-skateboards logo. It supports USB control using the android-specific fastboot protocol, but also has a serial HBOOT mode which supports a few commands. There is a second hidden set of commands which are not accessible without software patching.

This patch will:

* Temporarily enable the additional ARM11 commands.

* Temporarily disable checks on a few ARM9 radio AT commands to allow the removal of locks.

The patches to the software are done in RAM, so the patches will "vanish" on a powercycle. However, executing the patched AT commands below will write to HTC config area in flash, so the security-off and super-CID modes /will/ persist.

Instructions:

Note: all commands obviously need <ENTER> pressed after them

1. Connect the serial cable and start your terminal software (115200 8N1)

2. Power up the phone holding down VOLDOWN (this boots into the ARM11 HBOOT mode). You should see various messages and get a command prompt.

3. Type "rtask b" and wait for a while until it says "AT-Command Interpreter ready" (this starts the radio software running on the ARM9 and accesses its AT interface).

4. Type "retuoR" (this returns to the ARM11 HBOOT software).

5. Enter fastboot mode by pressing the "BACK" button on the phone.

6. Unplug the serial cable and plug in the USB cable.

7. Boot the hackspl.img by running "fastboot boot hackspl.img" on your PC.

8. The screen will go black and show the normal boot logo. However if you press "VOLDOWN" the screen should clear and you'll re-enter HBOOT mode.

9. Unplug the USB cable and plug in the serial cable again.

10. Type "rtask b" - This will enter the radio AT interface.

11. Type "ATE1" - this will enable character echo mode, which helps with typing a lot!

12. Type "AT@SIMLOCK=8,0" - this will disable security. It should print "0" when done, which may take a few seconds.

13. Type "AT@CID=11111111" - this will set the "Super-CID". It should print "0" when done, which may take a few seconds.

14. Type "retuoR" - returns to the ARM11 bootloader.

15. Type "erasebcid" - this will erase the "backup CID" from the ARM11.

After this lot, your phone should be security unlocked and be super-CID. On reboot, the ARM11 skateboard screen should say "S-OFF" instead of "S-ON"

on the top line. On a normal boot, you should see "Device is Super-CID" printed over the serial port at some point before it boots android.

You will be able to flash system/boot/recovery etc directly using the fastboot command from your PC.

If you type "h" after step 15, you'll see a much bigger list of commands than normal - these are the ARM11 hidden commands.

If you boot into the ARM9 bootloader (hold VOLUP on powerup) with security-off, and type "h" you'll see a list of some of the ARM9 commands. There are actually more; it just doesn't list them in the help screen.

Guest BoogWeed
Has anyone tried this????? In XDA-DEVELOPERS someone said that there is a way to perform a CID Unlock for the HERO, but to be honest, it seems to complicated!!!

This is a little too technical for me and I don't think I'll use this type of hack to it's potential so I'm staying well clear... :)

Edited by BoogWeed

I went from stock T-mobile ROM to MCR 2.3 and thought wow...SO much better.

Still noticed a little sluggishness though, so put MCR 2.2 on, now I'm double wow!! lol.

It's a lot smoother than 2.3, programs open very quickly.

So what is it in 2.3 that slowed it down over 2.2?

And for those thinking of wiping to go back to 2.2, johnathanmusto is right, you don't need to. I just put 2.2 on without a wipe and it installed perfectly, kept all my settings etc. :)

If Google/HTC or anyone decided to try a block custom ROMs, wouldn't that just make the custom ROM builders work around it?

Why not give you instructions no how to rip the Google/HTC apps from legit ROMs and move/port them into their custom ROM image? Yes, those instructions might overwhelm joe-blog but shouldn't be hard for anyone who has a bit of a clue.

Well, turns out that the Cyanogen ROM folks are gonna do the same as I suggested

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/home/the-current-state

Guest Biosfear

Hi Paul,

I have just purchased a HTC Hero from the UK and am waiting for it to get shipped here (Australia), i have been watching many videos on youtube regarding your mod, it looks fantastic and i cant wait to put it on my Hero.

quick question for you, does the Custom MoDaCo Rom include the HTC Sense UI? or does it get lost with this rom?

Thanks,

Biosfear

Hi guys.

I'm using the MCR2.2c ROM with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 installed, but i can't seem to make any calls or send SMSes after booting up my phone. other than that everything is zipping smoothly.

any ideas why?

@ Traxgen

I get this a lot, in the end i have to restore the backup (which was stock Orange UK), and obviously everything works. Then i install the custom build over that.

That seems to work.

But when i do updates, after wipes, etc etc...I too end up with no internet connection. For the life of me, i cannot figure out how or why this happens.

I just restore backup, and update again, and it seems to like it that way?

Coming from WinMo on the Samsung Omnia, we just changed operators to fix this similar kind of bug. But i think its deeper than that on Android.

I love Android & my HTC, but am finding some stuff strange and unexplainable. Still getting my head around it.

Also, where is fast boot?

I installed a few other reboot apps, but they all hang and wont run. Strange!

@ Traxgen

But when i do updates, after wipes, etc etc...I too end up with no internet connection. For the life of me, i cannot figure out how or why this happens.

You'll need to add in the APN settings. Depending on which network you're on, just google the settings and add them in manually. I went from T-mobile ROM to the custom one and that's what I did, as the wipe removes all your data and settings.

Simples...:)

I'm reposting this, as no-one replied. Really hope someone can answer it. Thanks.

One other thing, that has been discussed earlier in this thread I think, is some slightly odd behaviour with the qwerty keyboard.

If you have typed a word or part of a word but got one of the letters wrong, it shows you possibilites for the word. You can either press enter, comma, or full stop to accept the suggestion (or tap it). It then adds a space automatically after that punctuation. However it doesn't add a space if you have typed a word correctly (i.e. there is no suggestion highlighted).

This is new: the previous version would choose the selected word on a tap of the punctuation mark, but you would then need to press space as normal.

Now I don't really mind it putting the space in, but I would like it to be consistent; put the space in when you press a comma or full stop under any circumstance, or don't do it at all. What I do find annoying is that after a full stop, it puts the space in but doesn't capitalise the next word automatically. If you do a full stop normally and press space then it does capitalise the next word.

Does that make sense? Does anyone else see it as an annoyance? Any way of changing it?

Cheers,

Ben

(edited for cack-handedness!)

@ Traxgen

I get this a lot, in the end i have to restore the backup (which was stock Orange UK), and obviously everything works. Then i install the custom build over that.

That seems to work.

hey there thanks for the suggestion. just so you know, this isn't the first time that i encountered such a problem; in fact, it's my third time.

the first time was resolved when i updated my radio to the latest one

the second time was solved 'miraculously' when i left it to run until it ran out of juice. when i charged it the next morning it was a-okay again. although previous attempts at trying to fix it went basically the way you suggested without much success :D

fingers crossed your method will work! :)

Guest jonathanmusto
I'm reposting this, as no-one replied. Really hope someone can answer it. Thanks.

I've noticed it, yeah it can be quite annoying, it also behaves differently depending on whether the keyboard in landscape or portrait....

Guest TafKas1929

The keyboard problem really niggles me too, its just too inconsistent. Whats worse is that even though I know about it I still end up putting say 2 spaces in or sending the text message without checking it first, seeing that words after full stops dont have a capital in them really bugs me. Quick Question, I have been using the 2gb SD card that shipped with my Hero, I have now bought an 8gb card. Can I copy the contents of the old card directly onto the new one and not have to bother re-downloading and installing all my apps again? Thanks in advance!

Edited by TafKas1929

Guest BoogWeed
Hi Paul,

I have just purchased a HTC Hero from the UK and am waiting for it to get shipped here (Australia), i have been watching many videos on youtube regarding your mod, it looks fantastic and i cant wait to put it on my Hero.

quick question for you, does the Custom MoDaCo Rom include the HTC Sense UI? or does it get lost with this rom?

Thanks,

Biosfear

You keep Sense UI :)

Guest AlThePost
the new rom dont support app to sd

Yes it does. From the release notes on the first page of this thread:

- A2SD included (fully automatic - thanks cyanogen!) - create a EXT3 partition as your second partition to use. dalvik-cache remains on device. EXT4 is NOT supported.

Guest Musicmannetje

Hi,

With all the rumours going round on the net about the release of 1.6, i am getting a bit confused.

I thought the marvelous 2.3 version of the MCR was already based on the newest firmware, but apparently the 1.6 firmware version is newer.

Will the MCR version automatically upgrade to the 1.6 version, or is this the one in which we loose all ways to root the device?

Guest keef319
Hi,

With all the rumours going round on the net about the release of 1.6, i am getting a bit confused.

I thought the marvelous 2.3 version of the MCR was already based on the newest firmware, but apparently the 1.6 firmware version is newer.

Will the MCR version automatically upgrade to the 1.6 version, or is this the one in which we loose all ways to root the device?

MCR 2.3 is the custom ROM that sits on top of Android 1.5. People talking about Donut 1.6 are talking about the Android firmware, not the ROM that gives you the Sense UI.