Acer M900 reduced to under £200.00!

Guest philly-d

Guest philly-d

Wow! This is hot off the Twitter press from clove.co.uk...

26-Jul-2009_m900.jpg

We have done it once before so now we are doing it again. We must be mad, but we have just dropped the price of the Acer M900 from £329 +VAT to £169+VAT.

Yes, you did read that right, £169+VAT.

Available today, we have limited stock of the M900 at this price.

They are brand new, SIM FREE, Unlocked units. It is easy to think there maybe something wrong with them, but honestly there isn’t. We have just secured you what can only be classed as a spectacular deal.

Whilst you may like the HTC Touch Pro2, as do we, there is a strong argument to choose the M900 over it at this price!

I'm not sure how many they have left, but at £194.35 (inc VAT) it looks like a bargain!! :)

Read more about the Acer M900 on The official Acer M900 "Ask Chris..." thread, and more about this special offer at the Clove blog

[Via Twitter]

Wow! This is hot off the Twitter press from clove.co.uk...

I'm not sure how many they have left, but at £194.35 (inc VAT) it looks like a bargain!! :)

Read more about the Acer M900 on The official Acer M900 "Ask Chris..." thread, and more about this special offer at the Clove blog

[Via Twitter]

Wow! that's a great price..

If I had £200 I'd get one to use day to day and save the HD for rom development!

Just ordered one,

250 Euro is a better price that any WM device is available on an Irish network even AFTER the network subsidize it (we're truely under privileged!)

Wish it had a DPad but hopefully it wont be a show stopper.

Guest NuShrike

Picked up one late Aug for ~£180 when Clove was experimenting with the price then. It has replaced my primary phone and development platform, the crappy HTC Touch Pro.

The m900's screen size is a dream, and harkens me back to my still working Sony Clie NX80 Palm Pilot -- although the Clie's screen is still bigger.

Harkens back because handwriting to the screen makes sense again (without the Qualcomm screen lag), screen button and icons are large and finger-friendly again (even for WM6.1), it has 6 real buttons to use (4 remappable), and the finger-print sensor isn't a bad 4-way dpad (works like the Omnia). The clickable scroll-wheel rounds out the rest. The battery cover IS aluminum so watch out for easy denting like the old aluminum Power Books.

Google Maps finger-scrolls much faster, smoother and shows more area (for the same zoom level) @ 4x the pixels than the TP's anemic ~2.7" screen. This thing actually has some video hardware acceleration compared to all the HTC/Qualcomms so far. In SPB Benchmark graphics benchmarks between the TP, Omnia, and the m900, only the Omnia beats the m900. There's blinky lights near the speaker grill again like the HTC Kaiser.

The Ericsson radio stack holds the crappy AT&T signal here better than the Qualcomm radio in the Kaiser or the Touch Pro where I barely drop calls now. I haven't really tested the SiRFIII GPS because I've entirely switched to an external QStartz BT-1000X bluetooth whose MTK II chipset can run continuously for 42 hours and gets much better GPS reception and lock.

Never had a ram problem with this since the Kaiser has the same amount of ram, and was already quite a bit of nice over the Hermes's 64MB. Since it's WM6.1, it's fast fast fast than the slow 6.5 roms I've used so far on the TP. Slightly lighter in weight than the Kaiser also.

Slider is SUPERIOR to the wiggly mess on the Touch Pro because buttons are NOT on the slider panel. Reviews call it cheap, but I call it light and smooth.

So far, fully compatible with Omnia II OpenGL ESv2 apps since it's the same CPU/GPU.

nits:

o blank-screen of almost-death issues (the backlight doesn't come back on sometimes), but soft-resets are really fast

o crappy 3-level auto-backlighting (my new LevelSight app fixes that)

o screen has some layer that polarizes light coming off it when the LCD isn't transmissive, but transflective. Coupled with a weak backlight, reflective surface, and a light-sensor that will freak-out in direct-sunlight, the screen isn't very usable in sunlight.

o the ROM ships with Acer customizations that take up too much RAM/ROM. Flashing to lite-ROM fixes that.

o WiFi (Marvell 8686) has only one-power setting which isn't very power-saving

o it is a little too big for easy one-handed use while driving

o only OpenGL ES 2.0 confirmed working, no backward compatibility with OpenGL ES v1.0 yet

o the FPU comes disabled

o camera has stupid plastic cover over it like the Kaiser which blurs pictures and messes up contrast

o keyboard not as good as Touch Pro. Raised, hard, and too-widely spaced keys hurt usability a bit. Keys do soften up though.

Only hard-core WM users should even consider this phone. I recommend most casual phone users to stick with the iPhone 3GS where everything works (hardware/software to the max) and is better supported with regular updates instead of getting orphaned in 6 months.

Edited by NuShrike

Good to see you rate it higher than the Touch Pro, that was something I was considering.

I'd be intersted in hearing what ROM you're using? can't imagine I'd be using the Acer interface tbh.

gR

Guest NuShrike
I'd be intersted in hearing what ROM you're using? can't imagine I'd be using the Acer interface tbh.
It's the Nalim rom which is OEM stripped down to 172.69MB Storage free and 63.07MB Program free. Then, have to load back up the WVGA dialer, Google Maps, some JBed, and you'll average closer to 130MB storage free and 50MB program free.

There's also a WM6.5 rom from that forum or etenusers.eu, but it's probably about as good it gets for non-XDA elite cooks. I'm not interested enough to try it yet after the experience on the TP.

Edited by NuShrike

It's the Nalim rom which is OEM stripped down to 172.69MB Storage free and 63.07MB Program free. Then, have to load back up the WVGA dialer, Google Maps, some JBed, and you'll average closer to 130MB storage free and 50MB program free.

There's also a WM6.5 rom from that forum or etenusers.eu, but it's probably about as good it gets for non-XDA elite cooks. I'm not interested enough to try it yet after the experience on the TP.

Cool, I'll check that out.

Thanks

Guest Markda2000
Damn you're making me think even more about getting one now :)

Ordered one today for the current Mrs markda2000 to replace her ageing XDA Stellar. At this price it is a no brainer, she is currently on a simo only plan and this would save money compared to getting a new handset on even a 12month agreement (if they still exist).

Clove have emailed and it should be with us on the 16th Sep.

I will report back how I find it and more importantly how the other half finds it, once it has been put through it's paces.

Must admit I am interested to see how TomTom fairs on that big screen.

Weird, I ordered last night and got no email. Emailed their support today and got nothing :)

If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'll be cancelling. I see expansys are selling at a similar price.

gR

Guest Markda2000
Weird, I ordered last night and got no email. Emailed their support today and got nothing :)

If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'll be cancelling. I see expansys are selling at a similar price.

gR

Check you spam folder.

I received three emails in total, one for a failed order as I put a wrong digit in on my Card number.

There service I have found has been very good. Better than expansys's. The last time I ordered off them involved a trip to Manchester to sort there problems out.

I see expansys are selling at a similar price.

They were £10 cheaper but I see they've now put it back up to 399.

A few reports of signal dropouts in the support forum which is a bit worrying.

Wonder if high returns is the reason for the sell-offs?

Still not arrived :) . I'm glad they've gone up in price again!

I'm gonna look at mine, if the size/ weight is acceptable I'll use it, if not I'll ebay it.

Look fwd to hearing your (your wife's) 1st impressions

Edited by Guest

Guest Markda2000

First report.

The Acer Today replacement is slow. It gives a greatdeal of lag and has resulted in a few soft resets.

Removing this from the Rom has chnaged it into an all together different beast.

The phone now zips along.

Althought the phone is slightly bigger than the XDA stellar it replaces. (make me an offer on that if you like - it is in v.good condition) It is lighter, and the screen is outstanding. It dwarfes my X1 screen.

Just installing all the usual suspects, Opera, Spb backup etc.

Will report more once we have had a chance to get it set up properly.

But first impressions are very positive (once the Acer "desktop" is removed)

got mine today!

find it a bit laggy, will try the lighter rom tomorrow. took the acer home screen off straight away, really poor interface.

Found IE very laggy, opera mobile is a bit better although page loads seem slow even over HSDPA. the keyboard wasnt great at frst though the more i use it the easier it gets, although having to select Fn for a comma and full stop is daft!

Screen is excellent, 640x480 video capture looks great on it, will see how it looks on pc later.

so far so ok id say. definately worth 250 euro, hopefully lighter rom or even an update if they release on will improve things. i did have to switch radio to UTMS from auto as it kept jumping between HSDPA and GPRS. Not sure if that was down to the phones radio or vodafone?

gerryR

(sent using my M900 and Opera 9.7 Beta :) )

Guest Markda2000

I would recommend a lighter Rom straight away - it makes a massive difference.

My wife is very happy with it except for it not having a lanyard loop.

The camera seems better than expected judging from the indoor image see sent me.

I have a had a quick go of the keyboard but was not too impressed coming from the Xperia X1.

The screen though is something else.

At the moment the only software added is SPB wallet and Backup plus Resco explorer so little chance to play with much else.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.