Change OS language

Guest Spir4

Hi,

I live in Belgium, where we speak the Dutch language. I want to buy an Omnia B7610 which has an English OS, but most of the resellers here only sell a Dutch version.

I emailed a reseller to ask if he can supply me with an English B7610. He replied that you can set the language of the OS to whatever you like, including English.

Now, from my experience, it is never possible to change the OS language of Windows Mobile, except for some devices (like the original Omnia I900, where you could download language files from the Samsung site to change the language).

I checked the Samsung site for the B7610, and there aren't any language files available for download. In the manual I also can't find anything about changing the language.

Could anyone who already owns a B7610 confirm that the OS language can actually be changed? Or does that reseller not know about what he's talking about?

Thanks !

Guest AndyHamp
Hi,

I live in Belgium, where we speak the Dutch language. I want to buy an Omnia B7610 which has an English OS, but most of the resellers here only sell a Dutch version.

I emailed a reseller to ask if he can supply me with an English B7610. He replied that you can set the language of the OS to whatever you like, including English.

Now, from my experience, it is never possible to change the OS language of Windows Mobile, except for some devices (like the original Omnia I900, where you could download language files from the Samsung site to change the language).

I checked the Samsung site for the B7610, and there aren't any language files available for download. In the manual I also can't find anything about changing the language.

Could anyone who already owns a B7610 confirm that the OS language can actually be changed? Or does that reseller not know about what he's talking about?

Thanks !

I believe the retailer is correct ... if the ROM contains all the languages you should be OK ... You might want to ask this question on the Omnia I8000 forum, as they should be the same. I'm sure there are people in the UK who have sourced Omina II's in Holland ...

Andy

I believe the retailer is correct ... if the ROM contains all the languages you should be OK ... You might want to ask this question on the Omnia I8000 forum, as they should be the same. I'm sure there are people in the UK who have sourced Omina II's in Holland ...

Andy

On my omnia i900 bought with custom VF firmware I could not change the language from Dutch to UK, I had to flash the firmware to get this done?!

Guest rednax66
Hi,

Thanks !

Hi Spir4,

Just checked the multilanguage option on my dutch B7610. (Start -> instellingen -> Algemene instellingen -> Taal wijzigen).

When you pick another languages, the following message appears;

Warning:

1. Changing the language takes in total 15 minutes.

2. Battery should be full or the power adapter connected to you phone.

3. Never remove the battery while processing.

4. You cannot cancel this processing.

5. After processing, the device will be reset to default settings.

6. There will be 3 reboots while processing, follow the on screen instructions.

So in my case... I pressed cancel... :)

It looks like its flashing your rom.

Cool thanks all for your replies, and sorry for my late reply, had a pretty busy week :D

@ rednax66: great, you've confirmed it ! Thanks mate ! and are you pleased with the device? :)

Oh, and could you please tell me if the B7610 has a built-in option to use the led-flash as a torch? The Omnia I900 has this function (activating the LED by long-pressing one of the volume buttons), and I found it quite handy :)

Guest rednax66
Cool thanks all for your replies, and sorry for my late reply, had a pretty busy week :P

@ rednax66: great, you've confirmed it ! Thanks mate ! and are you pleased with the device? :)

np,

I'm very very pleased with this phone! btw I've tried the volume keys as you mentioned, but that doesn't work.

Anyway... it's a phone and not a torch! :D

But I found something, which I think might be very handy;

http://www.samsung-omnia.org/software-deve...tweak/msg31619/

Edited by rednax66

np,

I'm very very pleased with this phone! btw I've tried the volume keys as you mentioned, but that doesn't work.

Anyway... it's a phone and not a torch! :)

But I found something, which I think might be very handy;

http://www.samsung-omnia.org/software-deve...tweak/msg31619/

Thanks, I'll have a look at that :D

Edited by Spir4

Guest spaanplaat
Hi,

Thanks !

I have a Dutch B7610 (vendor free) and when I go to Taal Wijzigen I get the option to change it to English, French, Italian and German. Ps. that's not just touchwiz but the entire os.

Edited by spaanplaat

I also have this phone

I´m from Portugal and my rom version is

PDA:B7610XXIH2

PHONE: B7610XXIH1

So... Knowing that Omnia pro has Multilanguage Rom, dose this mean that means that Samsung will release a ROM for everyone instead multiple roms for different languages and different country's?

Guest spaanplaat
I also have this phone

I´m from Portugal and my rom version is

PDA:B7610XXIH2

PHONE: B7610XXIH1

So... Knowing that Omnia pro has Multilanguage Rom, dose this mean that means that Samsung will release a ROM for everyone instead multiple roms for different languages and different country's?

No, there are only a limited number of languages included in 1 rom, so to cover all languages separated roms will be released. My guess is this is also because of the network requirements.

Also some characters are incompatible with others (some asian characters).