21/Jan 1.5 - Superboot - rooting without a Custom ROM - NOT FOR ANDROID 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Amdathlonuk

I can't get this to work.

I've installed PC suite and it loaded all of the drivers for the Pulse.

I've extracted superboot and the ADB phone is recognised in System / Devices with no driver issues.

However when I click on superboot I got the original 'AdbWinUsbApi.dll' message so I've put the missing file on the folder.

Now all I get is 'waiting for device' - my device is also showing no serial number.

Can anyone help? I'm running Vista.

I have a G1 and HERO both rooted and running custom boot images and Modaco roms so I know a little bit, but not everything!

I just tried to ADP with my VERY limmited knowledge and it says device not found.

HOwever while in Boot loader mode and looking at Control Panel I have listed

ADB Interface - Android Sooner Single ADB Interface, is this right?

Edited by Amdathlonuk

Guest screwface

Same thing is happening to me with windows 7. I get unknown serial number displaying on my pulse at the blue screen and cmd prompt just says waiting for device

Guest screwface
Same thing is happening to me with windows 7. I get unknown serial number displaying on my pulse at the blue screen and cmd prompt just says waiting for device

Ignore that i ended up just doing it on my windows xp box. It was to do with windows 7's permissions, all working now ;)

Edited by screwface

Guest Minstadave

Can't get this to work on Win7.

I installed the PC suite drivers manually so my phone is recognised.

I then downloaded the files, unzipped them and deleted the MACOSX folder.

I pasted in the missing AdbWinUsbApi.dll file.

Then I turned off my phone and started it in bootloader mode, fired up the install-recovery-windows file, it can see my phone, writes the file to it nothing else exciting happens.

Then I pull the battery out and turn on normally.

But there's no newapplication installed!

If I install quickboot from the market place then I get "need root permission". So it's not rooting the phone or installing anything.

Am I meant to have the recovery image somewhere special?

Any help appreciated! ;)

Edited by Minstadave

while writing the file to your phone does bootloader confirms that file <xxx> has been writen?(or something .. cant remember exactly but main thing is it shoudl give you a readout that some file has been written and how big the file is).. i had some issue with writing to my phone to. this worked for me:

disconnecting the cable then running the install app it will say waiting for device.

now connect your pulse(allready in bootloader mode..) once it is connected and recognised by the sytem your app should continue and write the file to the pulse. this can be verified by output in the bootloader

repeat whole proces for more files/stuff

Edited by snikje

Guest Zsolabola

Hi !

I tried to load MCR 1.4.1 to my Pulse

I stated with flashing superboot, and the amon ra custom recovery in bootloader mode

after removing the battery and putting it back the phone is rebooting all the time.

After the T-Mobilr logo is displayed second time it reboots.

I can get into boot loader mode, and tried to do the procedure again, but the result is the same.

Could you please help me

Guest Amdathlonuk
I'm not using Windows... ;)

P

Hi Paul,

Can you give me instructions for another way?

I have the option to boot into Ubuntu but I don't know Linux at all, I only use it to partition my SD card.

I'd need step by step instructions...... ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Really want to root my daughters new phone ready for Xmas.

Edited by Amdathlonuk

Guest pmw1971

knowing nothing about unix/linux etc I was a bit nervous of doing this but it worked like a dream :-)

Hopefully I'll be unlocked by monday and then I'll move onto next step of installing nandroid prior to possibly trying the modaco rom to get the features working that t-mobile werent able to :-)

Paul

Guest Janesy B
Once the phone has been rooted - is there any difference on the start up sequence (are there any new screens /GUIs)?

No, it just enables root access so you can use quickboot to get into recovery mode etc.

Hi !

I tried to load MCR 1.4.1 to my Pulse

I stated with flashing superboot, and the amon ra custom recovery in bootloader mode

after removing the battery and putting it back the phone is rebooting all the time.

After the T-Mobilr logo is displayed second time it reboots.

I can get into boot loader mode, and tried to do the procedure again, but the result is the same.

Could you please help me

I get the same problem. Could some one help us? thx in advance.

Guest Zsolabola
Restore your nandroid backup...

P

Hi Paul

In that case you cannot restore the nandroid backup because you have never seen the Amon RA tool working, therefore you don't have a backup.

The only sollution for me was to put back the original ROM downloading the UPDATA.APP and update it vith vol up+red+power on

Guest blaze23

i am trying to install superboot on the december update so that i can use quick boot to acess the recoevr menu to isntall mcr 1.5. however, whenever i installl superboot 1.4, i puts my pulse into an endless reboot cycle, and the only solutuon is to reapply the decemer updae. please help!

i am trying to install superboot on the december update so that i can use quick boot to acess the recoevr menu to isntall mcr 1.5. however, whenever i installl superboot 1.4, i puts my pulse into an endless reboot cycle, and the only solutuon is to reapply the decemer updae. please help!

I don't think superboot works with a dec phone yet, if you want to install mcr1.5 just boot RA Recovery "fastboot-windows boot recovery-ra-pulse-v1.5.2.img" and install using that.

Guest blaze23
I don't think superboot works with a dec phone yet, if you want to install mcr1.5 just boot RA Recovery "fastboot-windows boot recovery-ra-pulse-v1.5.2.img" and install using that.

ive just tried doing this but cmd is giving me the following error: cannot load recovery-ra-pulse-v1.5.2.img

any ideas??

ive just tried doing this but cmd is giving me the following error: cannot load recovery-ra-pulse-v1.5.2.img

any ideas??

did you do that from the recovery image directory on your pc? is that file there?

ah i see you posted that you are using superboot 1.4, either get 1.5.2 or change the name of the image in the command line

Edited by rjm2k

Guest blaze23
did you do that from the recovery image directory on your pc? is that file there?

ah i see you posted that you are using superboot 1.4, either get 1.5.2 or change the name of the image in the command line

i got it working by placing the recovery image in my android sdk tools folder. thanks for the advice everyone. ;)