*Problem* Charging with usb to micro usb cable

Guest Ariekanarie

Guest Ariekanarie

Dear all,

My personal situation is that I travel a lot for school, and that I've two different places to sleep. To charge the Samsung B7610 there are 2 options. One with the AC Power adapter and one over the usb to micro usb cable when it is connected to you pc/laptop.

My AC Poweradapter is at my mothers place and my usb cable is in my bag with my notebook. So everywhere I go I can charge my smartphone.

But there is one problem about charging your phone when it is attached to your pc/notebook... It must be turned on.

I've got one PowerShared USB port on my notebook, and my B7610 is not charging when it is connected to this usb port and my notebook is in sleep-mode/hibernate/turned off. My other devices (connected with a USB<->Mini USB cable) does charge on this USB Port.

I tried to charge my B7610 in different ways with the included USB<->microUSB cable. I attached it to my notebook, Apple Ipod charger(you can put USB in it), I tried two PC's and nothing works. At those Notebook/PC's it was attached at a Power-share USB port, so I don't get what's the point about.

So maybe someone can tell me what's this about?

When I ordered my screenprotector yesterday, I saw this miniUSB<->microUSB cable at Brando, and ordered it too, so I hope it will solve my charging problems. And maybe it is helpfull for others. I don't know if it will actually works, but i'll give it a try. I will update you all.

But for now, I hope someone can give me a satisfying answer why this isn't working at the moment.

Greetz Arie

Guest ErnstJanF

Probeer de verbindingsinstellingen eens te veranderen, ik heb dit probleem ook gehad.

Volgensmij had ik hem toen op massaopslag (geheugenkaart), maar ik weet niet zeker!

Guest Ariekanarie
Probeer de verbindingsinstellingen eens te veranderen, ik heb dit probleem ook gehad.

Volgensmij had ik hem toen op massaopslag (geheugenkaart), maar ik weet niet zeker!

Ok heb ik geprobeerd, maar dit mocht niet baten :D hopelijk help het miniUSB<->microUSB kabeltje...

Maar jij hebt dit probleem dus niet meer?

Guest ErnstJanF
Ok heb ik geprobeerd, maar dit mocht niet baten :D hopelijk help het miniUSB<->microUSB kabeltje...

Maar jij hebt dit probleem dus niet meer?

Nope, het probleem is bij mij weg.

Hoe wil je miniUSB aansluiten op je laptop? o.O

Werkt het prima als de laptop niet in slaapstand is?

Je kunt eens proberen bij de energie-instellingen van je laptop te kijken, kun je me vertellen welk OS je draait?

Indien je dit zelf kan, en het niet is gelukt, is er altijd nog een optie in de bios zover ik me kan herrinneren. Een optie die zorgt voor stroom op de USB poorten, maar ik weet niet of dit in slaapstand ook zo is..

Guest spaanplaat

Yo guys,

Keep it english man!

I know you are dutch, as am I, but the point of sharing info on a forum is to solve problems for everyone not just your fellow dutchmen.

Usb will be powered at all times, sometimes even when PC is off.

BTW. even when phone is set to mass storage it should charge. Mine does so!

The 2 outer connectors will provide power for micro usb. Check if the connectors are bend. I think there is your problem. Micro-usb is even more vulnerable than mini-usb.

I also noticed some cables (Nokia and Nikon) don't work well with the B7610. The cheapest sollution is to go to a handymen store nearby and buy a mini-usb to micro-usb adapter. I bought a few and simply used the old mini-usb cables I allready had. The cost 1,25 euro's and work like a charm for data and charge.

Guest Ariekanarie
Nope, het probleem is bij mij weg.

Hoe wil je miniUSB aansluiten op je laptop? o.O

Werkt het prima als de laptop niet in slaapstand is?

Je kunt eens proberen bij de energie-instellingen van je laptop te kijken, kun je me vertellen welk OS je draait?

Indien je dit zelf kan, en het niet is gelukt, is er altijd nog een optie in de bios zover ik me kan herrinneren. Een optie die zorgt voor stroom op de USB poorten, maar ik weet niet of dit in slaapstand ook zo is..

I want to connect miniUSB to my laptop with a another cable ;)

It works fine when my notebook is on, and the funny thing is, other devices will charge when I connect them on my notebook when it is turned off, sleepmode or hibernate.

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise :D And in my BIos settings I turned Powershare (so that my usb port will give power when my notebook is turned off)

But it isn't al about my pc settings, because it doesn't work as well with a Ipod charger, where i can put the original usb<->USBmicro cable in, and my car charger doesn't work too with this USB<-> USB micro cable.

Yo guys,

Keep it english man!

I know you are dutch, as am I, but the point of sharing info on a forum is to solve problems for everyone not just your fellow dutchmen.

Usb will be powered at all times, sometimes even when PC is off.

BTW. even when phone is set to mass storage it should charge. Mine does so!

The 2 outer connectors will provide power for micro usb. Check if the connectors are bend. I think there is your problem. Micro-usb is even more vulnerable than mini-usb.

I also noticed some cables (Nokia and Nikon) don't work well with the B7610. The cheapest sollution is to go to a handymen store nearby and buy a mini-usb to micro-usb adapter. I bought a few and simply used the old mini-usb cables I allready had. The cost 1,25 euro's and work like a charm for data and charge.

To clear things up, my phone does charge when it is normally connected to the official Power adapter and when I connect it to my notebook when it is turned on.

Anyway, I read on tweakers.net that someone had a solution for his car adapter. He said that he had a charge problem too, and that he in his car charger soldered the Data- and the Data+ together and that his charger works for his phone.

Actually i was thinking about this, that it only charges when it has a data connection. But than you've got the power adapter, and there is no data connection :)

But I know how it is solved in there :lol:

I will give it a try :P

I have not a lot of time this time of the year,but when I tried it, I will let you know.

Guest spaanplaat
I want to connect miniUSB to my laptop with a another cable ;)

It works fine when my notebook is on, and the funny thing is, other devices will charge when I connect them on my notebook when it is turned off, sleepmode or hibernate.

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise :D And in my BIos settings I turned Powershare (so that my usb port will give power when my notebook is turned off)

But it isn't al about my pc settings, because it doesn't work as well with a Ipod charger, where i can put the original usb<->USBmicro cable in, and my car charger doesn't work too with this USB<-> USB micro cable.

To clear things up, my phone does charge when it is normally connected to the official Power adapter and when I connect it to my notebook when it is turned on.

Anyway, I read on tweakers.net that someone had a solution for his car adapter. He said that he had a charge problem too, and that he in his car charger soldered the Data- and the Data+ together and that his charger works for his phone.

Actually i was thinking about this, that it only charges when it has a data connection. But than you've got the power adapter, and there is no data connection :)

But I know how it is solved in there :lol:

I will give it a try :P

I have not a lot of time this time of the year,but when I tried it, I will let you know.

Give it a try but be careful! Soldering those wires together could cause you to short circuit it. Just be sure to solder data+data and not data+power, also never use that cable for data again (but I guess you figured that out for yourself).

Guest Ariekanarie
Give it a try but be careful! Soldering those wires together could cause you to short circuit it. Just be sure to solder data+data and not data+power, also never use that cable for data again (but I guess you figured that out for yourself).

Haha ofcourse :P I'm a 3rd year Engineer :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ariekanarie

I will report it when I received the micro <--> mini USB converter-cable that I've ordered at brando.com within the same order as my screenprotector.

Unfortunately I haven't received anything yet of this stuff...

Off cource i don't solder my original data cable delivered with my b7610. This is the only one I have...

My To-Do-List when I receive the goods:

-Pack it out

-Trying the following: Notebook - USB <->MiniUSB - MiniUSB <-> MicroUSB - B7610

-If it fails I will solder the Data- & Data+ of the USB side of the USB <->miniUSB cable together.

-Then I'll try the above connection again.

-If I have results, i will let you all know

Edited by Ariekanarie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ariekanarie
I will report it when I received the micro <--> mini USB converter-cable that I've ordered at brando.com within the same order as my screenprotector.

Unfortunately I haven't received anything yet of this stuff...

Off cource i don't solder my original data cable delivered with my b7610. This is the only one I have...

My To-Do-List when I receive the goods:

-Pack it out

-Trying the following: Notebook - USB <->MiniUSB - MiniUSB <-> MicroUSB - B7610

-If it fails I will solder the Data- & Data+ of the USB side of the USB <->miniUSB cable together.

-Then I'll try the above connection again.

-If I have results, i will let you all know

Ok, I received my goods.

Charging with Notebook - USB <->MiniUSB - MiniUSB <-> MicroUSB - B7610 doesn't work when the notebook is off. So this fails.

After that I cut the Data- & Data+ and soldered them together in the cable.

And this works!

So problem Solved!

• 5 months later...

thanks for this important information! i saved a lot of money, because now i can use my old car chargers and a/c chargers, the best solution for me was a modified usb extender, so no warranty is void.

Guest whizkid
Ok, I received my goods.

Charging with Notebook - USB <->MiniUSB - MiniUSB <-> MicroUSB - B7610 doesn't work when the notebook is off. So this fails.

After that I cut the Data- & Data+ and soldered them together in the cable.

And this works!

So problem Solved!

Hello Ariekanarie,

Sorry, but I do not understand what you soldered. Would you be kind enough to attach a picture(s) to show me what you did.

Many thanks. Edy. :rolleyes:

Guest xbongx

power is too low you should think the battery is 1500mAh 3.7Volts charging miniUSB should reserve its state on high current thats why it is not charging...

Guest Ariekanarie
Hello Ariekanarie,

Sorry, but I do not understand what you soldered. Would you be kind enough to attach a picture(s) to show me what you did.

Many thanks. Edy. :rolleyes:

Can't attach picture because it is taped in long time ago...

But it is as easy as connecting DATA- & DATA+ together.