How to install Google Maps

Guest mvorchard

Guest mvorchard

Hello there,

After installing the last 2.8 core there is no Google Maps on my Hero... I cannot seem to find it on the net, and I'm sure it is not available to me on the Market...

What should I do, please????

Thanks and regards,

MO

Guest GodsDevil

You need to use market enabler (if it works for you) to see paid and protected apps in the market. Google it.

If that doesn't work search in the topic where Paul has posted the 2.8 ROM and there is a small code posted by Keramidas and by using that code u can see all apps in the market. :D

D

After installing the last 2.8 core there is no Google Maps on my Hero... I cannot seem to find it on the net, and I'm sure it is not available to me on the Market...

Same with me. I figured out that Google maps just disappeared after about a hopur while restoring data and apps by MyBackup. Just reinstalled 2.8, Google maps were here. IMHO it is either a bug from backup utility or some conflicts between market and unofficial 2.8.

I did a reinstall of my Google maps yesterday evening. I have a Swedish phone. Google maps was in the market for me. Try Market Enabler from code.google.com if you can't find it in your market. I'm running ModaCo 2.8 an don't have any problems with google maps after reinstalling it.

Guest mvorchard

Many thanks, guys, for your replies.

I'm deciding between Market Enabler and this code thing... it seems that the code is "simpler"...

Hi Paul,

Yes thanks, I noticed this file - but haven't used it yet wink.gif

Speaking of startup scripts: here's a neat trick for people in countries where MarketEnabler is needed to see paid apps.

- Look at your operator number by typing "getprop gsm.sim.operator.numeric"

- Put the following 2 lines in a new file called "/system/sd/userinit.sh" (replace 12345 with your operator number):

rm -rf /data/data/com.android.vending/cache/*

while [ 0 ]; do if [ "`getprop gsm.sim.operator.numeric`" == 12345 ]; then setprop gsm.sim.operator.numeric 310260; fi; sleep 30; done &

Then reboot. The script clears your Market cache and then run in the background. You shoudn't need to launch MarketEnabler anymore, and you will have access to paid apps in Market laugh.gif

Only one caveat: whenever you enter your PIN code, the operator number is reset to its real value by the phone. This script applies the fake operator number (as necessary) every 30 seconds. So, always wait 30 seconds between typing your PIN and launching the Market app.

I've been using this for several weeks, with zero problems.

How am I supposed to run the getprop command?? Is there any other way to get my operator number????

Or should I just go the Market Enabler route??

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again and many regards!!

MO

Guest rhedgehog
Many thanks, guys, for your replies.

I'm deciding between Market Enabler and this code thing... it seems that the code is "simpler"...

How am I supposed to run the getprop command?? Is there any other way to get my operator number????

Or should I just go the Market Enabler route??

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again and many regards!!

MO

if you don;t understand where to do these commands, then just stick to market enabler. then once youpve got that working, you can look up how to do these commands later once you are more confident with doing stuff to the phone, and have read up on more stuff, like ADB, here and at xda-developers.

Guest GodsDevil

Very true...try Market Enabler first. It was not working when I tried the code but seems they have fixed it and now it works with Hero. If that doesn't work for you then do the following:

1. Connect your phone via USB but DO NOT MOUNT THE SDCARD.

2. Go to the folder where you have downloaded the android SDK tools(ADB).

3. Open the command prompt and go to that folder where you have the ABD tools.

4. Type "getprop gsm.sim.operator.numeric" and it will show you your operator's numeric code.

5. Make a new text file and copy the above mentioned code and paste it there. Do not forget to change 12345 with your operator's numeric code you got from the above command.

6. Save the file as userinit.sh (NOT userinit.sh.txt you need to ensure that the file is called just userinit.sh) in the folder where you have your ADB tools.

7. type the following command "adb push userinit.sh /system/sd/userinit.sh"

You are done. Restart the phone and wait for 30 seconds and open the market and you will have access to all apps. :D

D

Guest mvorchard

Market Enabler worked just fine!! Many thanks!!!!

And I kind of knew what you were talking about, and have almost no fear in doing things to my phone - have actually even installed Linux to previous handhelds of my own :-p - but well, just learning about Android....

Are you supposed to stay "faking", or should get back to my own provider now that GMaps is installed??

Cheers!

MO

Guest GodsDevil
Market Enabler worked just fine!! Many thanks!!!!

And I kind of knew what you were talking about, and have almost no fear in doing things to my phone - have actually even installed Linux to previous handhelds of my own :-p - but well, just learning about Android....

Are you supposed to stay "faking", or should get back to my own provider now that GMaps is installed??

Cheers!

MO

Well if the Enabler works for you then it is easier but if you are using the code you can keep "faking" to have access to all the applications all the time. Atleast that is what I am doing :D

D