What makes you stick with Windows Mobile?

Guest vinaymanro

Guest Sonicr360
To answer the 3 questions. I got a ipod touch and love it to bits stopped me getting the iphone. So my Diamond 2 is mainly a phone and a web browser when im at work. The fact that my Diamond 2 has the potential to emulate android stopped me from getting a G2 at the last minute. Loyalty to the brand and the business features were the main reasons I have stayed since having my Orange SPV :)

However!! Im tempted to exchange my diamond 2 for the HTC Hero and make my judgement on whether to get another windows device when windows 7 comes out by then i'll be due an upgrade. Why do I say this?? Android and iphone are starting to catchup with the killer business features of win mo aka office. I could explain why i feel iphone and android are catching up and the reason why i stayed with winmo for so long. But i'll save it for another time unless you really wanna know lol

Google and Apple are most certainly aiming into the Business Market - I think times are changing and these 2 vendors have proven that they can come along with a "fresh new look" and "Feel" to a phone that in my view surpasses WM in almost all ways.

In my case, I switched over from Palm Treo about six months ago. Primarily because I wanted to become familiar with WinMo.

So far, I find it very stable (using Omnia i910 with WinMo 6.1). I do primarily email, web browsing, spreadsheets, and maybe 400 hours of phone usage per month. So far, it does everything I need it to do, with very little tinkering.

Admittedly, I installed spb Mobile Shell for the UI, which suits my needs better. I was OK with the provided UI, just like the ability to customize it more than WinMo provided.

Also, I am a full time RVer, so need to be on Verizon for widest coverage available. So, that limits the choices available. Will I switch to another OS? I doubt it. WinMo does what I need, and is very stable.

I like to explore new technologies, and Android picks my curiosity, but don't feel the need to try it yet.

Guest agent.m
Google and Apple are most certainly aiming into the Business Market - I think times are changing and these 2 vendors have proven that they can come along with a "fresh new look" and "Feel" to a phone that in my view surpasses WM in almost all ways.

my thoughts exactly. Office is coming to iphone and andriod can edit word docs so i've heard.

Guest touficjohn
1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile?

2) What feature(s) make you stick with Windows Mobile?

3) What deters you from other Mobile OS devices?

1) The ability to customise every part of the phone, ROMS, GPS, activesync and exchange support, the ability to connect to a VPN connection and to join a windows domain.

2) Above + RDP client.

3) Honestly? Nothing anymore.

These last couple of weeks I've asked myself the same three questions you've been asking.

More specifically, do I upgrade to the HD2 or do I ditch windows and get the iPhone? After much reading and playing around with a lot of iphones I've noticed that the iPhone pretty much does what winmo does now. Plus it has an amazing screen and a great app store!

The only thing that was holding me back was, the lack of GPS, the lack of native exchange support, the lack of being able to connect to a VPN network and CamerAware!

Turns out the iPhone does all of this now and more! There is (unfortunately) a program that is very similar to CamerAware, (Paul if your reading this, please port it to the iPhone!) For the last couple of weeks I've been using an old nokia of mine for roaming purposes and I forgot what it was like to have a phone that just works, no crashing, no freezing, no soft-resets, no fidling around with CAB files, the list goes on...

I dunno, I think WinMo is stuck. It hasn't changed in the last 5years.

Gonna call vodafone and get me an iPhone...

Guest machmandp

Well for me i've been with Winmo for years and now i'm thinking of changing

For me Apps and Games are the most important part and Winmo just seems to be lacking in these areas

having looked at the Iphone & Android apps i cant see anything that could not be done with these that Winmo already does but now they can do it better.

All over the net everyone with Winmo is searching for Finger Freindly apps mainly because however you want to try and defend it Winmo has not really improved much over the years.

HTC have helped with Touchflo but even they impose too many restrictions within Touchflo for it to be the ultimate Interface

and not to mention thet HTC cant even supply proper Drivers for their Chipset which does not help matters.

In all honesty even if Winmo 7 is the best user interface ever the apps still lag far behind.

The only good thing i can say about winmo is it's very easy to customise but thats not coz of MS its the community such as here which makes it possible.

For me The issues with the TYTN and touch HD drivers and the lack of really good games compared to the others (try them believe me they are miles ahead) have pretty much made me think of switching which is something i didn't think i would ever say.

Guest matdahero

I am new to WinMo, my first WinMo device is like a week-old now. Switched from a Symbian Nokia (used it for a month) iPhone 3G(1 year) to Android feat. HTC G1(1.5 years), I no longer finding myself being attached to a particular OS platform. However, I do have some opinions regarding these devices. Apple really has done a great job in terms of its huge selection of apps and system stability. At some point I thought I wouldn't replace it with anything other that a iPhone 4G or something. But then when I am walking on the street I find myself holding the same color/looking handheld to my face I no longer find it cool... People like us can always find some good excuses to switch to another phone. ;)

And then I ran into Android. First impression is: User friendly and Fresh. The Mods at the xda are doing an excellent job making the OS sparkles even more. Though recently as Google began to get more involved with its so-called open-source project, the momentum is no longer the same. Though I have to say it is a very interesting OS and it can multi-task. I really recommend for those who haven't tried it should jump onto the ship! You will be amazed!

P.S. Something I found strange with WinMo is that the community, like MoDaCo, is way bigger than the MS official appstore (Marketplace) itself... For Apple there's 3rd-party appstore Cydia, but the Apple's one is just way bigger; and for Android users they solely rely on its own Market. Yet this is to my liking cuz its more interactive as people are always there to respond to ur problems :)

Guest bull227

althought it has only few applications available, it has the essential bit like microsoft office mobile and at the end of the day it is very similar to your laptop or desktop computer. you dont have a symbian or android computer do you? :)

Guest visions77

Nothing - hateful operating system - sorry to all the fans, I fully understand the flexibility, but I just upgraded to 6.5 on an OMNIA II (can't move off a stock ROM otherwise my device wouldn't meet corporate guidelines and I'd have my access removed) and it's pants, can't event surf the web and have the radio on, without it running out of memory and closing the radio, ok it may be a bad Samsung implementation, but seriously!

I had the same experience on Omnia 2 WM 6.5, crash every now and then, slow, out of memory, lousy interface. .. really sick of how they mess up the OS. Now my only hope is samsung not giving up the ROM updates now and custom ROM. Probably not going back samsung on my next if it's still WM.

currently trial HD2. Like it due to it's hardware capability and HTC sense but then again, it still crash often and requires soft reset every now and then and when tested against iphone.. the smoothness of the OS just beats WM HD2 handsdown. and the games available for iphone is simple yet innovative. Though I still won't buy a iphone now but who knows this july when Apple refresh iphone again. It may be hard to resist.

Edited by visions77

Guest masterpfa

I had previously stuck with Windows Mobile because of it relative ease of use with Windows Desktop, although I did have issues with each phone I used.

The iPhone showed the way forward, a new thinking on Mobile Phones, showed that more could be offer from a mobile phone. I was lucky that a friend had an iPhone I could try but with Apples refusal to have the basics like cut & paste and MMS messaging meant I would be looking elsewhere.

I have now, initially reluctantly, moved to Android. Before I had even tried one of these phones I was adamant that I would stay with WM, but WM7 hadn't materialised and the whole OS was looking dated to me so I jumped.

Best move I ever made, can't even look at my old WM phones any more :) , have 2, HTC TyTyn II & III, good as they were at the time,they feel dated, the reliance on a stylus etc.

Probably the wrong place for this post but the only WM phone worth a consideration would be HTC HD2.

My preferences would have to be

1) Android

2) iPhone

3) HTC HD2 (Yes I know this is a phone and not an OS, but the only WM (with the Sense UI) worth considering IMHO)

From here on in Android it is (much more exciting!!)

OK let me head on over back to my own forum

;)

Edited by masterpfa

Why am I still with WinMo? Simple, I'm on a two year contract. As soon as they port a stable version of Android to the Omnia, I'm ditching WinMo in a heartbeat.

Edited by Abqcub

My first Pocket PC was the iPaq 5450, and then to the original XDA and a few more others. Got tired to using stylus (two-handed), and decided to switch to Symbian for more than 2.5 years.

Then I had the HTC Magic for a while, which I kinda like it, as I am a heavy Google user. Android is cool, and very different and refreshing. For example, you guys might prefer syncing with Outlook, but I feel that syncing with Google seamlessly is very much better.

Somehow, I decided to switch to my current Omnia 2 because of its screen size. But, I'm sure I will switch to Android again, very soon, when it has a bigger screen...

I might try Android at some point in the future, I'm not particularly loyal :)

QAt the moment though, Android offers no real advantages to me - I can do everything I want to with WinMo, and it has the advantage of easy syncing with Outlook and full compatability with Office, without going through various kludges or hunting round for semi-decent replacement software. That and the fact that the HD2 is probably the best current phone on the marketplace and it happens to run WM. ;)

Completely agree!

Besides this several more factors:

1. I need strong support for several languages (English, Hebrew, Russian) at the same time, i.e. simultaneously, with keyboards layouts, documents reading/editing and browsers' support. Till now i didnt see serious frameworks neither in Android not in iPhone. I heard that iPhone recently has this support yet i wont buy iPhone only for checking this fact.

2. I have a set of application i need for WinMo and dont want to look for new set with uncertain functionality. Moreover - i bought some of these application and dont want to spend additional $$ for new set.

3. I know how to customize and tune my WinMos (i had several) and dont want to learn new trics

Guest Sonicr360
Somehow, I decided to switch to my current Omnia 2 because of its screen size. But, I'm sure I will switch to Android again, very soon, when it has a bigger screen...

2010 will show HTC have some GREAT devices for Android! Watch this space..... :)

sry ;-)

after years and years of HTC devices they lost me....

1) The question is why? Why don't you stick with Windows Mobile?

2) What feature(s) did not make you stick with Windows Mobile?

Answers

1) crappy camera , no flash, the need to reset the device every now and then.... the nokia just crashes and starts up again ;-)

2) the amount of software i needed to install after a hard reset

3) same old , same old...

again, after many HTC device, i must say, nokia e75 rules....

mayby the question should be, why do you guys keep making advertisment for those crappy ms devices ;-)

i would love to see a htc device with a 8 mega pixel camera, led flash, tv option, beamer.....

we need to wait like 5 years ?

well......

Guest BIGJEZZA

1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile? -

Its open possibilities. I like the idea that for any one goal I can accomplish it in a variety of ways.

Handwriting - notes, transcriber. When I cant be bothered with the HW or onscreen keyboard. Apps for almost everything. Corporate email is great. Copy and pasting from the web to facebook, word documents, etc. I can easily set almost anything as my ring tone. I can play almost any type of movie file. Tethering with PC. Ability to bluetooth downloads to pc/phone. Ability of phone to act as USB drive. Calander is always up to date, thanks to work. My notes are on the server at work, so if the phone is in the car and I can access a computer, I can still read that important note. *ability to hide caller ID unless the person is in my contacts*

Lack of maturity of the OS. No big HW keyboards. No stylus.

Guest Sonicr360

the problem is guys, when you see and hear reviews like this....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173272/wind...ad_reviews.html

http://www.techspot.com/news/36359-steve-b...-execution.html

http://gizmodo.com/5374876/windows-mobile-...excuse-for-this

It goes to show how dated and old this is. Much like a Dated old Banger. Time to let it go, and look for something new and fresh.

And that my friends, is where Google and Apple are striving for :)

you can thank guys like XDA, but it should be MS that develop something that keeps your interest in the WM device.

In short, Today screen. I am not too fuss about the latest finger friendly trend and is perfectly happy with even WM5 Today screen. I just love the idea that I can see all the necessary info the moment I switch on the device. That is why I hate the iphone icon based UI.

Guest cold_fire
What do you mean lack of applications like Win MO ?

WM has a few out there. Of course nothing near the 100k apps like iPhone!

There aren't as many useful applications for other OS like there are for Win Mo for example iGO.

Guest terminal 7

THE HD2 is the only reason for windows mobile .. thats it.

i own an ipod touch - that satisfies my apple desire, i own a G1 which blew me away when i first used it and still does 8 months later so thats my android desire taken care of.

and i have just this month got myself a HD2 whic i adore (and cant wait for a android port) so im very much a win-mob lover. !

seriously though, i have used WIN-MOB for years and i do still like it - just wish there were a few thousand more apps in the marketplace ( free ones ).

I stick with WM because of the FREEDOM, to mod, upgrade, flash, customise, hack and generally do or run anything I want. With WM I dont have to worry about someone tracking my every move (ie google, has anyone even read the EULA for something like the location service on the new Manila? They actually say they will track your phone and data usage, why would I want that?) or being at the behest of one company's draconian rules and lack of customisation options (apple). I am currently running WM 6.5 build 28011 with Manila 2.5 (location features turned off) and it works perfectly for my needs.

While far from perfect, I dont see anything in any other mobile os that would make me move from WM.

Guest Mike Graham

i've been developing in microsoft technology since the 80's (dos, then windows ver 2.0)

i just picked up lg expo on AT&T (& i'm convinced that AT&T's issues are iPhone related, not their network)

its hard to use and buggy in comparison to iPhone and probably android too

i'm totally alienated by the closed iPhone dev environment (no flash, no silverlight, app review process)

i'm deep into c#, wpf & silverlight and not ready to flip over to google / android / chrome / python but i keep an eye on it

i'm convinced i'll figure out win mo 6.5

i can run silverlight pretty well using SkyFire 1.5 (silverlight rendered on server, images transferred to phone)

love the lg expo features

* 5 MP camera - physical camera button on phone

* lg menu - swipe for multiple home screens

* finger print scanner, doubles as scroll pad & button

* slide out keyboard - save the screen for screen stuff

* hi res screen 800 x 480

* wifi

* bluetooth

* fm radio

* messenger

* multiple apps running - physical key to switch & manage tasks

Guest frmariam

I currently own an Omnia and still consider it a good machine. Some professional software are only available for WinMo (like most medical soft). WinMo is great for multitasking. Many cool phones and a wide variety of awesome apps (many of wich are free) available. Too bad so many devs switched platform). I have big hopes for the platform (judging the HD2 and all).

The iPhone simply sucks (no multitasking or usefull free apps + really overpriced considering the hardware). It's just a stupid fab gadget... Most owners can't even use it to it's full potential (I bet that the "ohh shiny!", "my friend has one so I want one" or "Apple rocks and Windows sucks" accounts for more than 95% of the owners). I don't even like the iPod (extremelly overpriced PMP that tries to force you into using iTunes).

The Android doesn't have cool/reasonably priced phones or even a good portfolio of apps... No good ofline GPS app, no good media player (at least nothing like CorePlayer). Should I get one just because it's Linux? I see Google as much of a devil as Microsoft so until intalling an OS into your phone is the same as doing it on a PC (and doesn't void your warranty) the Android platform has nothing to offer. I mean they even blocked users with custom roms from their app store (Microsoft never really did anything about custom ROMs).

Symbian is basically dead... I read news of a new OS versio but I don't believe they'll ever get a good share of users...

Blackberry doesn't suit my needs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.