Ringtone to contact doesn't work

Guest fox5150

Guest fox5150

Hi,

I'm having a really weird problem with my Hero - and it should work!!

If I assign a ringtone to a contact by editing the contact properties it doesn't play the ringtone when they call, just the default one. I'm using one of the built-in ringtones, not one that I've created with Ringdroid.

I've tried everything to get this to work and it just doesn't. I even gave in yesterday and hard reset the phone, synchronised my contacts, reset the ringtone property and it still doesn't work.

I'm running the latest Orange ROM and it's completely stock, no rooting or "fiddling". My contacts are synchronised over Exchange Activesync.

The caller display works properly as when they ring it pops up with the picture I've registered against them, just doesn't play the ringtone.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NytCrawlr

Hey! Wish I could help you, but I am having exactly the same problem. Even when I edit the contact, it says that my custom ringtone is assigned correctly to that contact, but when they call, it still only plays the default ringtone. If you manage to find a solution to this, I'd appreciate a heads up!

CB

Hi,

I'm having a really weird problem with my Hero - and it should work!!

If I assign a ringtone to a contact by editing the contact properties it doesn't play the ringtone when they call, just the default one. I'm using one of the built-in ringtones, not one that I've created with Ringdroid.

I've tried everything to get this to work and it just doesn't. I even gave in yesterday and hard reset the phone, synchronised my contacts, reset the ringtone property and it still doesn't work.

I'm running the latest Orange ROM and it's completely stock, no rooting or "fiddling". My contacts are synchronised over Exchange Activesync.

The caller display works properly as when they ring it pops up with the picture I've registered against them, just doesn't play the ringtone.

Any ideas?

Guest sclui56
Hey! Wish I could help you, but I am having exactly the same problem. Even when I edit the contact, it says that my custom ringtone is assigned correctly to that contact, but when they call, it still only plays the default ringtone. If you manage to find a solution to this, I'd appreciate a heads up!

CB

Make sure the phone numbers are packed and NOT masked with "(" & "-". Stupid, I know.

Guest NytCrawlr
Make sure the phone numbers are packed and NOT masked with "(" & "-". Stupid, I know.

Bizarre. To be honest, I was skeptical, but it actually worked! Thanks sclui!

Guest sclui56
Bizarre. To be honest, I was skeptical, but it actually worked! Thanks sclui!

If you think this is weird, I also had issue when using the Hero with my 06 BMW 750i's BT. BT would sync the phone book over to the car just fine, BUT if the numbers contain "()" or "-", the car will not be able to initiate the call, OTOH, if the numbers in the synced phonebook is packed, then the car has no problem negotiating the call. Don;t have this issue with the Moto Cliq or my TP2, Fuze, etc.

Edited by sclui56

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fox5150

Okay, you'll never guess what the problem was. I asked a guy at work to try it out and his work fine, which started me on a quest. I sync my contacts with an exchange server and wondered if that was the problem, so created a contact in the phone contacts and all worked. Started moving the contacts over and it stopped working again. Ready for the solution.....

Turns out if you have a space in the phone number, e.g. 01234 567890 then it recognises the contact from your contacts list but doesn't play the custom ring tone. Change the number so that it's 01234567890 and it recognises the contact and plays the custom ring tone. This is just plain weird. Anyway, been through all my contacts and removed the space and everything seems to be okay.

Anyone know how to file a bug report to Google?