[SOLVED]Can you use your own Dumped ROM as a Backup?

Guest Ariekanarie

Guest Ariekanarie

Hello dear B7610 users.

My question is the following:

When I will dump my rom and I'll flash my phone with another one, can I flash my dumped ROM back like it is a backup?

So what I mean is: After flashing my dumped ROM back, is everything the same after flashing as before the flashing?

Like all the installed software before and settings, are still installed after I flashed the dumped ROM back?

Thanx in advance for your reaction.

Edited by Ariekanarie

Guest intrados

Hi I am interested also.

Could some one advice, what is the easiest way to dump current firmware for recovery later. My current version is

PDA: B7610NXXIJ3

CSC: B7610VFGIG5

Phone: B7610BUIG5

I have issues with this rom - my phone is not ringing on incoming calls. I tried everything available on the net - no success. Strangely enough from time to time I could hear a ringtone when caller has closed the connection. Because of that issue as well as memory shortage, I am interested to migrate to alternative rom, but would like to keep at least one working stock version. Any link to download instead of dumping?

Thanks in advance.

Rado

Hi I am interested also.

Could some one advice, what is the easiest way to dump current firmware for recovery later. My current version is

PDA: B7610NXXIJ3

CSC: B7610VFGIG5

Phone: B7610BUIG5

I have issues with this rom - my phone is not ringing on incoming calls. I tried everything available on the net - no success. Strangely enough from time to time I could hear a ringtone when caller has closed the connection. Because of that issue as well as memory shortage, I am interested to migrate to alternative rom, but would like to keep at least one working stock version. Any link to download instead of dumping?

Thanks in advance.

Rado

Use the procedure described here, it involves few steps but is perfect.

Another method is to use this method and utility. It is fairly simple.

If your phone has WinMo 6.1, then this rom is certainly the best one which cannot be found anywhere. It is absolutely necessary that you save it. I also had same, but lost it and it is nowhere to be found. All the best.

Edited by 20x

Reflashing will only reinstall the basic stuff on the rom as was made, so anything installed by you or information entered will be lost for good.

Once I have installed all my usual programs and set up the new rom as I like I will make a back up using sprite-backup then when a new rom comes out I will flash it and try it to see if I like it, if I dont like it will "re-flash" back to the previous rom and then run the backup I made which will reinstall everything back to the way it was.

I have never attempted to reinstall a back-up from a previous rom onto a new one though and would like to know if anyone has attempted this?

Good luck.

P.S. Im using a samsung Omnia i900.

Edited by Sb.

Guest intrados
Use the procedure described here, it involves few steps but is perfect.

Another method is to use this method and utility. It is fairly simple.

If your phone has WinMo 6.1, then this rom is certainly the best one which cannot be found anywhere. It is absolutely necessary that you save it. I also had same, but lost it and it is nowhere to be found. All the best.

Thanks a lot.

Guest Ariekanarie
Reflashing will only reinstall the basic stuff on the rom as was made, so anything installed by you or information entered will be lost for good.

Once I have installed all my usual programs and set up the new rom as I like I will make a back up using sprite-backup then when a new rom comes out I will flash it and try it to see if I like it, if I dont like it will "re-flash" back to the previous rom and then run the backup I made which will reinstall everything back to the way it was.

I have never attempted to reinstall a back-up from a previous rom onto a new one though and would like to know if anyone has attempted this?

Good luck.

P.S. Im using a samsung Omnia i900.

Thanx for your reaction.

That was my actually problem. I read on forums, when I was using my E-ten X800, that you can't install your backup (your sprite-backup or my spbBackup) on another ROM, than your backupped ROM... If we think logical, it make sense.

But if I must believe you, and correct me if I say it wrong, When I dump my ROM (with installed programs/settings etc.) and reflash my phone with this dumped rom, my phone has installed the ROM as it is delivered to me and not with my own installed programs/settings.

Can someone verify this for me? thanx in advance

EDIT:

Ok I tested it by my self.

The original ROM without any installed programs/settings is back.

Conclusion: Always keep an ROM dump of your ROM on your PC with an backup made with i.e. SPBBackup on THAT specific ROM.

I.e. If you've installed ROM IK2 with programs and settings, you want to flash your device to IK4, than make a ROM dump or download somewhere IK2 and make a full backup of your device.

You flash IK4 on your device. If you don't like it, you can flash it back to IK2.

But then you've only got your IK2 rom back. So you have to install your backup.

You can't place a backup made on IK2 on an IK4 ROM.

Edited by Ariekanarie

Guest ErnstJanF

There was a topic in this in the Development and Hacking forum @ XDA.

Someone made a backup-app to backup the whole rom ;)

If I come across it I will post the link here :)