Voice Search... Broken?

Guest JamesKing

Guest JamesKing

This seems to happen whether I run it through the App List (Voice Search) or press the hard search key and hit the voice search symbol.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't know how long it's been happening, but it's annoying. I'm running MCR 3.0 and TCK 1.91 :)

Cheers,

James

I have the same problem and yes I wiped my phone before flashing. I had to uninstall Voice Search because it started when I pressed the the search button to search for apps.

Guest dogei22

Same here!

My MCR 2.8 was fine but when I upgraded to 3.1 RC1 Voice Search started to complain. Wipes, downgrading, re-flashing, etc. did not help. Now on RC2, had to uninstall VS...

Guest stevenz

It's broken for me as well since at least 3.1b2. I never actually use it as it usually takes 3-4 tries to get it to understand me correctly, so I just removed it. I tried wiping the caches and removing all of voice-searches config data, but no dice.

Edited by stevenz

Guest ptruman
It's broken for me as well since at least 3.1b2. I never actually use it as it usually takes 3-4 tries to get it to understand me correctly, so I just removed it. I tried wiping the caches and removing all of voice-searches config data, but no dice.

Install it from the market - normally fixes most minor glitches if it didn't work "in ROM"

Guest stevenz
Install it from the market - normally fixes most minor glitches if it didn't work "in ROM"

Tried that, can't find it in the market for some reason, quite happy to live without it as it's only a novelty as far as i'm concerned.

Guest starfarer
This seems to happen whether I run it through the App List (Voice Search) or press the hard search key and hit the voice search symbol.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't know how long it's been happening, but it's annoying. I'm running MCR 3.0 and TCK 1.91 :)

Cheers,

James

while playing on MCR3.0(1.91) something like that happened to me.

Try to find Hero's browser.apk, pull the one in your phone and push the new one and Restart. This solved my problem. Strange thing is in all that time browser was running fine. Might not be the solution for you but who knows.

Surprisingly I'm more and more using voice search.

Guest AndyCr15

I'm on 3.1 and having the same problem. I've uninstalled it, thinking I could install it again... but can't find it in the market.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

On 3.2 beta5 and the problem continues. Both handcent and voice search wants to start when pressing the search button in the "all programs" listing.

Paul/others, please head me in the right direction on how to fix this. (I have wiped several times, but the problem won't solve.

Edit: I think that by clicking on the search button when browsing "all programs", android thinks it's a long press.

Edited by cowai

Guest The_IMF

My 3.1 doesn't work...

It says "Allow Google to improve your search results and other services?"

Selecting Yes or No gives the same result; a "Sorry!" error pops up for 0.00001 seconds (can't even begin to read it!) and then nothing happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue on MCR 3.1. I had Handcent SMS and Voice Search installed. So i figured as a workaround one needs to either uninstall those apps or disable their android.intent.action.SEARCH_LONG_PRESS listeners.

I uninstalled Voice Search and disabled the listener of Handcent SMS with this command:

pm disable com.handcent.nextsms/com.handcent.sms.ui.HcQuickComposeActivity

This way there was no listener that could interrupt the application lists search dialog.

I think you could disable the Voice Search listener just as easy as the one fom Handcent SMS. You would just need to find out the name of the component that registered for the android.intent.action.SEARCH_LONG_PRESS event and disable it with pm diable.

PS: i got this tip from the 'Autostarts' developer..

Regards,

oopepe

Guest The_IMF

Wasn't working on my 3.1 or 3.2b5... but it's working now.

I used quickuninstaller free to uninstall voice search and reflashed the 3.2b5 rom (no wipe or anything) and now voice search works. Strange that. Worked for me; may work for others... also wiped the entire contents of the devlak cache directory (don't know if that helped or not).