Really Struggling to Root :(

Guest mat.

Hi guys, i've probably been messing around with my phone trying to Root it. Its a T-Mobile G2 Touch and i've been trying to gold card it so I can trick it into downgrading but whenever I come to downgrade it doesn't let me and aborts it on the phone saying access denied or something like that. I've tried two different SD cards and am 99% i've been doing everything correctly, I must of gone through the process abou 15 times now. What the hell am I doing wrong? Here are some phone details if it helps, and thanks in advance for any help:

Model: T Mobile G2 Touch

Firmware: 1.5

Baseband Version: 53.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-0078c992

Build Number: 2.73.110.26

Software Version: 1.0.0.A6288

Hi guys, i've probably been messing around with my phone trying to Root it. Its a T-Mobile G2 Touch and i've been trying to gold card it so I can trick it into downgrading but whenever I come to downgrade it doesn't let me and aborts it on the phone saying access denied or something like that. I've tried two different SD cards and am 99% i've been doing everything correctly, I must of gone through the process abou 15 times now. What the hell am I doing wrong? Here are some phone details if it helps, and thanks in advance for any help:

First off, thanks for posting all the needed information. :) if only everyone else took a leaf from your book ;)

Right, would you be able to get the full error message that appears. Presuming it's the 'normal' one (cid error 132 iirc), that does suggest that unfortunately the gold card is the issue.

As you've tried it so many times, could you post your SD card ID that you got near the start of the process. I'll do the rest for you, and send you back the goldcard.img to write to the card using hxd hex editor.

Also, if you want a different process to try, see the video of the process at http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

That method should also work if you can't get gold card to work.

Hth, and welcome to modaco B)

Guest shenshang
First off, thanks for posting all the needed information. :) if only everyone else took a leaf from your book ;)

Right, would you be able to get the full error message that appears. Presuming it's the 'normal' one (cid error 132 iirc), that does suggest that unfortunately the gold card is the issue.

As you've tried it so many times, could you post your SD card ID that you got near the start of the process. I'll do the rest for you, and send you back the goldcard.img to write to the card using hxd hex editor.

Also, if you want a different process to try, see the video of the process at http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-ro...o-in-one-click/

well said pulser. anyway, ive downgraded 9 heros using the goldcard method that is posted on theunlockr, try that if you havent already. but the root hero in one click SHOULD work without it...i dont know about the latest tmobile firmware...

well said pulser. anyway, ive downgraded 9 heros using the goldcard method that is posted on theunlockr, try that if you havent already. but the root hero in one click SHOULD work without it...i dont know about the latest tmobile firmware...

The one-click root was updated on the 10th Jan (just 3 days ago) so I reckon it would work.

I've never had trouble with goldcards though, so I guess it was something simple like not reversing the hex pairs correctly, or not zeroing off the first 2 digits of CID...

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I've just tried that think you provided and that doesn't work either. I've read the comments and it seems people with G2 Touch's can't use that method because it fails each time.

Yeah the error I get is something to do with the CID number - error 131 or something like that. The two SD cards i've used are a 2GB San Disk and a spare 2GB Nokia I had in the draw. Here is the number you need from the very first step before it has been reversed or anything like that:

035344535530324780005de9680097fe

That is the number for the 2GB San Disk card, I can also provide the number for the 2GB Nokia card too if that might work.

Also after I have changed the Hex on the SDcard as in the tutorial on various sites, I've just been putting the SD card back into the phone, turning it off and then back on again, is this right?

Thanks again.

try this: http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

answer these with "yes" or "no" (they're in chronological order)

1. reverse the string?

2. replace the first 2 digits of the reversed string with "00"?

3. format sd card?

Thats one of the guides i've been following.

1. Yep

2. Yep

3. Yep

Really confused, it may be the SD cards but theres no way to tell.

Guest shenshang
Thats one of the guides i've been following.

1. Yep

2. Yep

3. Yep

Really confused, it may be the SD cards but theres no way to tell.

i think it might be....go out and get a cheap class 6 sd card and try it =\ for now id advise you to try the root hero in 1 click method, try flashrec 1.1.2 and 1.13, 1.1.2 first :)

i'll RUU my other hero with a new tmobile stock rom and see if i goldcard works, i have a spare sd's scattered around my house :)

i think it might be....go out and get a cheap class 6 sd card and try it =\ for now id advise you to try the root hero in 1 click method, try flashrec 1.1.2 and 1.13, 1.1.2 first :)

i'll RUU my other hero with a new tmobile stock rom and see if i goldcard works, i have a spare sd's scattered around my house :)

I tried the root hero in 1 click method and that doesn't work either. I get the same error as a lot of other T-Mobile users which basically means even if u have written in the correct path into flashrec the continue button is still greyed out :).

Will try get hold of a cheap SD card tomorrow :).

I tried the root hero in 1 click method and that doesn't work either. I get the same error as a lot of other T-Mobile users which basically means even if u have written in the correct path into flashrec the continue button is still greyed out :) .

Will try get hold of a cheap SD card tomorrow :) .

OK. I guess it must be the SD that's the issue.

@shenshang, I take it when reversing the string, you do it in byte pairs, so that:

035344535530324780005de9680097fe

becomes

fe970068e95d00804732305553445303

and then change first two to 00, giving

00970068e95d00804732305553445303

(using the OP's numbers)

@mat. I've made goldcard.img for the CID you gave. It's attached in case you want to check it's the same as yours. If different, try giving it a go. Ignore the fact it's goldcard(2).img, that's just cos I took 2 goes to do it lol.

goldcard_2_.img

Being as contents are important, here are hashes:

CRC32: 5477864D

MD5: 8A595F6B7BCFF56826E2AFAD20CFF38E

@pulser

looks like you've done it correctly

@mat. can you just check that you got the correct string of numbers....

Thanks for confirming. Was pretty sure but just wanted to check.

Cheers again for the help guys, just tried that gold card you posted and its exactly the same as the one I created. I tried it anyway and still no luck so I think I'm getting unlucky with the SD cards. I'm going to go out later or tomorrow and buy a new one, could you make any recommendations on what brand?

Thanks again.

Cheers again for the help guys, just tried that gold card you posted and its exactly the same as the one I created. I tried it anyway and still no luck so I think I'm getting unlucky with the SD cards. I'm going to go out later or tomorrow and buy a new one, could you make any recommendations on what brand?

Thanks again.

Sandisk all the way!

Guest shenshang

Thanks again.

redo the adb bit where it fetches the numbers, confirm that the numbers are actually correct 0_o

redo the adb bit where it fetches the numbers, confirm that the numbers are actually correct 0_o

Definitely correct mate have done it many times now, have written the numbers down on paper, in notepad and copied and pasted them so its definitely right :).

Definitely correct mate have done it many times now, have written the numbers down on paper, in notepad and copied and pasted them so its definitely right :) .

Sandisk or Kingston are fine in my (limited) experience.

Guest shenshang
Sandisk or Kingston are fine in my (limited) experience.

what if its a new firmware....or it might just be glitchy.....it might not actually be the SD card....the one that came with the hero should work flawlessly.

what if its a new firmware....or it might just be glitchy.....it might not actually be the SD card....the one that came with the hero should work flawlessly.

Fair point. I think we need to get to the bottom of why goldcard and FlashRec are both not working...

Guest shenshang

if i were you, i'd find some excuse to get your hero exchanged....like a loose sim card cover, scratched screen, or something like that (assuming it is still under your warranty period)

if i were you, i'd find some excuse to get your hero exchanged....like a loose sim card cover, scratched screen, or something like that (assuming it is still under your warranty period)

Its doing my head in, i've been thinking about everything logically and gone through it step by step using the written and video explanations, double and triple checked everything and downloaded about 6 different RUU's from Modaco/XDA Developers etc.

I've only had it 2-3 months and its insured anyway so I may take it in tomorrow and make something up saying i'm not happy with it, which means they would replace it on the spot and give me another G2 Touch with the original firmware which doesn't require goldcarding?

Guest shenshang
Its doing my head in, i've been thinking about everything logically and gone through it step by step using the written and video explanations, double and triple checked everything and downloaded about 6 different RUU's from Modaco/XDA Developers etc.

I've only had it 2-3 months and its insured anyway so I may take it in tomorrow and make something up saying i'm not happy with it, which means they would replace it on the spot and give me another G2 Touch with the original firmware which doesn't require goldcarding?

i think the problem is unique with your handset, just get your G2 replace with another one. I'm pretty sure that it will work on the replacement. the chances of you getting another buggy phone is negligible.

Would this help the OP, shen?

Put the ROM.zip which is found in the temp folder when running the old RUU on your PC into the SD Card root directory, called HEROIMG.zip

Put in the (apparently non-working goldcard). Boot into fastboot mode. Press volume down.

Wait and watch...

not sure if that might help.

@mat. AFAIK, the G2s in stock now have the 'perfected' firmware. I know a guy who got one 2 weeks after me, and his was the new version. I have since seen several other reports of the newer version.