AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest kieranc

I've just checked some files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/

# cat cpuinfo_min_freq

# cat cpuinfo_max_freq

# cat scaling_min_freq

# cat scaling_max_freq

Does that not indicate the lowest speed it'll scale to is the same as the highest, 528MHz?

It doesn't change when I try echo a new value to it.

Guest jnwhiteh
I've just checked some files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/

# cat cpuinfo_min_freq

# cat cpuinfo_max_freq

# cat scaling_min_freq

# cat scaling_max_freq

Does that not indicate the lowest speed it'll scale to is the same as the highest, 528MHz?

It doesn't change when I try echo a new value to it.

That's because HTC has enabled a perflock. Those values change when the device is 'sleeping' to allow it to scale lower. This is why building a custom kernel is a good ting, something we're working on.

I can confirm that reflashing googlebits works just fine for fixing contacts syncing.

Back to r3 and its 5 home screens. Now I can go back to the market to download some more apps...

By the way, this rom is the best of all, perfect in every way, I even like taking pictures at 2 MP, gives them a polaroid look that is perfect to capture some little slices of life in style.

Jnwhiteh, I like your way of thinking, pure AOSP, no crap added !!!

Guest jnwhiteh
I can confirm that reflashing googlebits works just fine for fixing contacts syncing.

Back to r3 and its 5 home screens. Now I can go back to the market to download some more apps...

By the way, this rom is the best of all, perfect in every way, I even like taking pictures at 2 MP, gives them a polaroid look that is perfect to capture some little slices of life in style.

Jnwhiteh, I like your way of thinking, pure AOSP, no crap added !!!

I like crap too, but as a computer scientist I'm more interested in understanding how stuff works rather than just tossing it all together to make the latest 'ZOMG ROM'. Most importantly, my work is re-usable, the stuff from 'ZOMG ROMs' isn't =)

Guest kieranc
That's because HTC has enabled a perflock. Those values change when the device is 'sleeping' to allow it to scale lower. This is why building a custom kernel is a good ting, something we're working on.

what about these overclocking apps in the market, they seem able to change the sleep/wake frequencies.

Any ETA on a kernel? Any testing needed or anything else I can do?

edit: led works right, thanks!

Edited by kieranc

Guest jnwhiteh
what about these overclocking apps in the market, they seem able to change the sleep/wake frequencies.

They don't work on HTC Hero without a custom kernel.

Any ETA on a kernel? Any testing needed or anything else I can do?

Not really, HTC hasn't released one and they don't have a requirement to until they ship a HTC Hero ROM with a 2.6.29 kernel.

Guest jnwhiteh
Just installed 2 times, and i keep getting force close setup wizard at boot.. Any help?

Did you wipe your device (factory reset) before installing? Flash the google bits?

Guest kieranc
They don't work on HTC Hero without a custom kernel.

Not really, HTC hasn't released one and they don't have a requirement to until they ship a HTC Hero ROM with a 2.6.29 kernel.

So do we still need to rely on HTC for a kernel despite using AOSP for the rest of it? What about the Teknologist kernel, any way it can be used/made to work/etc?

Guest jnwhiteh
So do we still need to rely on HTC for a kernel despite using AOSP for the rest of it? What about the Teknologist kernel, any way it can be used/made to work/etc?

It can, at the expense of graphics acceleration and OpenGL.

Guest kieranc
It can, at the expense of graphics acceleration and OpenGL.

Ah ok, so would the Teknologist kernel work as it is on this ROM, just without OpenGL? Would bluetooth audio and CPU scaling work?

Presumably that's be roughly the same place I'd end up by compiling the 2.6.29 sources from HTC?

Guest jnwhiteh
Ah ok, so would the Teknologist kernel work as it is on this ROM, just without OpenGL? Would bluetooth audio and CPU scaling work?

Presumably that's be roughly the same place I'd end up by compiling the 2.6.29 sources from HTC?

You'd have compcache, and his CPU scaling.. but his scaling is also tweaked for performance rather than batter consumption. And no, the source from HTC would give us everything working, full stop, and the ability to customize it.

Guest jnwhiteh
couldt you find out why the guy have a working 5 mpix camera on 2.1 ???

Why did you respond and quote that response to ask an unrelated question. Please don't do that, it gets very confusing.

I don't need to ask him why he has a working 5 MP camera. He's using a leaked HTC build which uses an altered android core, and includes a number of extra HTC frameworks. They will never be included in an AOSP build.. at most I would re-implement only the specific portions that are necessary, but I don't have time for that right now.

That's a Sense UI ROM. This is AOSP.

Guest kieranc
You'd have compcache, and his CPU scaling.. but his scaling is also tweaked for performance rather than batter consumption. And no, the source from HTC would give us everything working, full stop, and the ability to customize it.

But.. the Hero kernel sources are here: http://developer.htc.com/

Is that 2.6.27 rather than .29?

I'm guessing I could change the scaling_governor to ondemand on Teknologist but at least it would scale, its a start.

Edited by kieranc

Guest jnwhiteh
But.. the Hero kernel sources are here: http://developer.htc.com/

Is that 2.6.27 rather than .29?

I'm guessing I could change the scaling_governor to ondemand on Teknologist but at least it would scale, its a start.

Those are the 2.6.27 sources. I promise you I'm in constant contact watching everything, and the sources have not been released.

Guest pillock

Re Network Location (I'm sorry to keep banging on about this!)

I've installed r2 this morning and was chuffed to bits to see NetworkLocation working.... however, it's a bit inaccurate for me! It has me about half a mile down the road - this is with WiFi and GPS both OFF, so purely cell location.

MCR3.2 has me perfectly positioned, within the accuracy bounds of CID locating. This bizarrely seems to miss me - not by much, but enough to throw Locale out.

I'm just about to put r3 on and see if it's changed (I want to for the LED update anyway), but I can't honestly think of anything in a ROM which would just throw Cell Location out by a teensy little amount.

Guest jnwhiteh
Re Network Location (I'm sorry to keep banging on about this!)

I've installed r2 this morning and was chuffed to bits to see NetworkLocation working.... however, it's a bit inaccurate for me! It has me about half a mile down the road - this is with WiFi and GPS both OFF, so purely cell location.

MCR3.2 has me perfectly positioned, within the accuracy bounds of CID locating. This bizarrely seems to miss me - not by much, but enough to throw Locale out.

I'm just about to put r3 on and see if it's changed (I want to for the LED update anyway), but I can't honestly think of anything in a ROM which would just throw Cell Location out by a teensy little amount.

It may be detecting you based on your neighboring CIDs rather than your current CID. Not much that can be changed re that, however.

Guest kieranc
Those are the 2.6.27 sources. I promise you I'm in constant contact watching everything, and the sources have not been released.

Yep sorry! I don't want to seem like I'm accusing you of being slack, I'm just wanting to understand all the options.

Guest jnwhiteh
Yep sorry! I don't want to seem like I'm accusing you of being slack, I'm just wanting to understand all the options.

We're bringing you what we can, when we can.

Guest jnwhiteh
I've just tried installing this after a clean wipe but gapp & startup wizard keep giving force close messages and nothing loads. Any ideas?

No, after the first report of that I did precisely that and got absolutely no errors, so without more information I am not quite sure what to tell you. Are you installing the latest GoogleBits?