AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
So, I've been using the r2 for a few days now, and today, my communication has been closed 3 times in a row and sometimes, webpages such as google.com can't load in the browser (probably because of the same connection problems). I'm working for Alcatel-Lucent, so I'm just under a radio tower and I very good connection status. That's why I'm wondering, which radio ROM is recommanded for this ROM ? I'm currently using 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26.

--

b0z0

I don't really support older versions of the ROM, is there any particular reason you're not using r4 with the updated ril library? I use 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26, which is the same library as you.

I don't really support older versions of the ROM, is there any particular reason you're not using r4 with the updated ril library? I use 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26, which is the same library as you.

No, not really, it's just that seeing the changelogs, I didn't saw any interests for me to flash again, restore my SMS, and update again my settings.

I'll try the r4 tonight, but are the changes mentioned in the changelog the only ones you made : I mean, the only difference between r2 and r4 that I can see are the 5 desktop instead of 3 and the LED notification. Do you think that the init.rc could be related to my issue ? (I have no idea what this file is about).

--

b0z0

Guest jnwhiteh
No, not really, it's just that seeing the changelogs, I didn't saw any interests for me to flash again, restore my SMS, and update again my settings.

I'll try the r4 tonight, but are the changes mentioned in the changelog the only ones you made : I mean, the only difference between r2 and r4 that I can see are the 5 desktop instead of 3 and the LED notification. Do you think that the init.rc could be related to my issue ? (I have no idea what this file is about).

It looks like the ril library was updated in r2, so it's really difficult to say. Lots changes in each build and more changes that I can't possible document because I don't know the effect of all of the changes. The underlying libraries that we build with change from time to time and it's tough for me to troubleshoot or provide any support on something that isn't the latest version. Also, after r4 you don't need to wipe at all when upgrading.

I didn't saw that you were talking about a "ril library", what is it ? I didn't saw it in your changelogs.

--

b0z0

It looks like the ril library was updated in r2, so it's really difficult to say. Lots changes in each build and more changes that I can't possible document because I don't know the effect of all of the changes. The underlying libraries that we build with change from time to time and it's tough for me to troubleshoot or provide any support on something that isn't the latest version. Also, after r4 you don't need to wipe at all when upgrading.

OK, so I'll definitely update my ROM tonight, and if I have any connection problem again, I'll get back to you. Thanks !

--

b0z0

Guest jnwhiteh
I didn't saw that you were talking about a "ril library", what is it ? I didn't saw it in your changelogs.

It's the radio interface library, and it was updated in (and listed in the changelog for) r2.

Guest Prime61071

Just downloaded R5b1 and the new Googlebits package, wiped dalvik cache, did a data wipe/factory reset and then flashed both new packages.

I got as far as the Google account setup sign-in screen when the phone rebooted and it repeats once restarted. After four loops like this I shut the phone down and did a nandroid restore.

Would the R5b1 package work if I flashed the previous Googlebits release, or are the two linked in some way?

EDIT: Tried flashing R5b1 with the older Googlebits package and it didn't work unfortunately, same reboot loop as before.

Edited by Prime61071

Downloading right now... will comment when I find bugs!

1st boot:

- No wipe, but still the icons are back in fresh-install spot

- Rebooted without prompt

- Now it's in loop with Android Media FC

- Keeps rebooting now...

Mmm.. I guess something isn't going the way it was planned...

:) Woooww, exactly the same here, except that I wiped prior flashing...

This is the first time that I meet that kind of unexpected and continuous reboot.

Just to let you know. r4 is good anyway, keep up the very good work. Thanks. We'll be testing forever, don't worry.

Guest jnwhiteh
:) Woooww, exactly the same here, except that I wiped prior flashing...

This is the first time that I meet that kind of unexpected and continuous reboot.

Just to let you know. r4 is good anyway, keep up the very good work. Thanks. We'll be testing forever, don't worry.

You can use r5b1 without using the new Googlebits, and that's why I put them up for consumption to see what works and what doesn't. I know my device soft-booted once but then it came right back up. I haven't had a chance to wipe and check the logcat output, so thanks for being my guinea pigs =).

You can use r5b1 without using the new Googlebits, and that's why I put them up for consumption to see what works and what doesn't. I know my device soft-booted once but then it came right back up. I haven't had a chance to wipe and check the logcat output, so thanks for being my guinea pigs =).

:)

You're welcome. We love being pigs !!! errrrr, guinea, of course...

I just installed your new R5b1, along with new GoogleBits ; I just made a "davlik cache" wipe ...

As for other people, my phone entered in a "boot" loop;

but I got the time to see that there are only 3 pages on the launcher (there were 5 in R4, as far as I remember), and all shortcuts on theses three pages are reverted to "stock" AOSP.

So, back to R4 :-(

Edited by leinad

I went and just installed the googlebits and now my google maps won't come up at all. Reverted back to GB 1.7 and it still fails to come up. When i click on the icon on the desktop that i had dragged previously it says 'application is not installed on your phone'. I think i may have to do yet another wipe and reinstall all my config settings (APN, k9, etc) ;-(

Edited by daveba

Guest jnwhiteh
I went and just installed the googlebits and now my google maps won't come up at all. Reverted back to GB 1.7 and it still fails to come up. When i click on the icon on the desktop that i had dragged previously it says 'application is not installed on your phone'. I think i may have to do yet another wipe and reinstall all my config settings (APN, k9, etc) ;-(

Did you not do a Nandroid backup?

Guest jnwhiteh
I just installed your new R5b1, along with new GoogleBits ; I just made a "davlik cache" wipe ...

As for other people, my phone entered in a "boot" loop;

but I got the time to see that there are only 3 pages on the launcher (there were 5 in R4, as far as I remember), and all shortcuts on theses three pages are reverted to "stock" AOSP.

So, back to R4 :-(

Hrm, wonder why its looping for you guys and it was fine for me. Weird. Thanks.

Hrm, wonder why its looping for you guys and it was fine for me. Weird. Thanks.

Could it be due to the launcher having 3 pages instead of 5 ?

What happens to program shortcuts positionned on the two left pages ?

Guest jnwhiteh
Could it be due to the launcher having 3 pages instead of 5 ?

What happens to program shortcuts positionned on the two left pages ?

It can crash.. but the launcher in that package has five pages, as I flashed it this morning. Unless I'm going completely and utterly crazy.

It can crash.. but the launcher in that package has five pages, as I flashed it this morning. Unless I'm going completely and utterly crazy.

As already mentionned, during my unsuccessful attempt to use R5b1, I had some time before the phone started to reboot (20 to 30 seconds), and I saw that there were only 3 pages in the launcher, and that my own shortcuts were replaced by the "standard" ones (those which are proposed after a factory reset or a data wipe) ...

All my installed apps were present in the ROM.

Guest Formel-LMS

I've got a problem with the market:

I need "App Manager"

I've searched for this and became only "Appmanager for Cupcake"

With 2.0 I had "Appmanager"

Could anybody please look at his device and search for "Appmanager" and say, what he found?

Please?

Guest jnwhiteh
I've got a problem with the market:

I need "App Manager"

I've searched for this and became only "Appmanager for Cupcake"

With 2.0 I had "Appmanager"

Could anybody please look at his device and search for "Appmanager" and say, what he found?

Please?

What '2.0', given that there's never been a 2.0 release. All I get is appmanager for cupcake.. but then again:

http://www.androlib.com/r.aspx?r=appmanager

The application you want doesn't seem to exist, or has been renamed Quick Uninstaller.

Guest erugalatha

today I noticed 3 issues with this AOSP rom.

1. 3G would not stay connected in a normally strong 3G area. Then 3G would be completely unavailable until after a reboot.

2. WiFi switching off and 3G switching on when wifi signal is strong.

3. Soft reboot when choosing a Live Wallpaper.

otherwise it is the most stable 2.1 rom that I have tried.

Guest jnwhiteh
today I noticed 3 issues with this AOSP rom.

1. 3G would not stay connected in a normally strong 3G area. Then 3G would be completely unavailable until after a reboot.

2. WiFi switching off and 3G switching on when wifi signal is strong.

3. Soft reboot when choosing a Live Wallpaper.

otherwise it is the most stable 2.1 rom that I have tried.

The soft reboot only happens with certain stock live wallpapers, and it's reported in the first post. As for the other two issues, I cannot confirm either of those issues, although at one point Kiall had something similar. What version of the ROM are you using?

Guest erugalatha
The soft reboot only happens with certain stock live wallpapers, and it's reported in the first post. As for the other two issues, I cannot confirm either of those issues, although at one point Kiall had something similar. What version of the ROM are you using?

In the build number it says "community_hero_eu-eng 2.1 ERD79 eng.jnw.20100125.100914 test keys".

The one I downloaded was the link at the top of this Post (not the kitchen version) so it was aosp-2.1-jnwhite-r4.zip with Googlebits 1.7.

I tried the 3g card in another phone in the same area just to confirm it wasn't a network issue and it worked fine. When I put it back in the Hero it connected after a reboot but then gives a "Connection Error" when I try to use email or seesmic or the browser (page not found).

If there's any logs I can send you let me know where to find them and I will try help troubleshoot.