AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
In the build number it says "community_hero_eu-eng 2.1 ERD79 eng.jnw.20100125.100914 test keys".

The one I downloaded was the link at the top of this Post (not the kitchen version) so it was aosp-2.1-jnwhite-r4.zip with Googlebits 1.7.

I tried the 3g card in another phone in the same area just to confirm it wasn't a network issue and it worked fine. When I put it back in the Hero it connected after a reboot but then gives a "Connection Error" when I try to use email or seesmic or the browser (page not found).

If there's any logs I can send you let me know where to find them and I will try help troubleshoot.

The output of an adb logcat or adb logcat radio might help, but I'm not sure there's much (if anything) I can do to fix the issue. I don't have another radio interface library I can drop in, really.

Guest jnwhiteh
Hy jnwhiteh.

What about your R5 ?

Do you intend to release a R5 not beta, fixing some video problems, as R5b1 was supposed to do ?

You are welcome to download it and try it out. There's nothing I do for a 'release' more than naming the file consistently. I dont have a build environment today, so I can't build anything more until that is set back up and I dont have any queued work up my sleeve..

To be clear, I'm not really sure what you're asking for... Either r5 works for you, or it doesn't.

Edited by jnwhiteh

You are welcome to download it and try it out. There's nothing I do for a 'release' more than naming the file consistently. I dont have a build environment today, so I can't build anything more until that is set back up and I dont have any queued work up my sleeve..

To be clear, I'm not really sure what you're asking for... Either r5 works for you, or it doesn't.

Sorry not being clear enough ...

I tried R5b1 yesterday, but my phone entered in a "boot" loop (as many other people) so went back to R4.

My question was : Did you find something regarding this problem, and, thus, do you intend to release an R5b2, or full R5 (i.e. not beta), fixing this bug ?

Hope I made this clearer !

Guest jnwhiteh
Sorry not being clear enough ...

I tried R5b1 yesterday, but my phone entered in a "boot" loop (as many other people) so went back to R4.

My question was : Did you find something regarding this problem, and, thus, do you intend to release an R5b2, or full R5 (i.e. not beta), fixing this bug ?

Hope I made this clearer !

Well no one actually reported what the issue WAS, so no. I'll try and look at it later today but I only have one phone and when I am working for the bulk of the day I can't be flashing it all the time. That's why I ask you guys for more information.

If you are in this thread and you aren't currently capable of capturing an adb logcat, you need to go out and figure out how to do it. There's a thread on htcpedia with information.

Guest martyn028

Cant install from kitchen all options were selected ..

error=

E:corrupt file:system/lib/libicuuc.so

E:verifacation failed

Installation aborted

can anyone offer fix?

cheers

Guest jnwhiteh

error=

Installation aborted

can anyone offer fix?

cheers

Paul said if you report it (you just have) he will look into it.

error=

Installation aborted

can anyone offer fix?

cheers

Corrupt download, try again!

P

Well no one actually reported what the issue WAS, so no. I'll try and look at it later today but I only have one phone and when I am working for the bulk of the day I can't be flashing it all the time. That's why I ask you guys for more information.

If you are in this thread and you aren't currently capable of capturing an adb logcat, you need to go out and figure out how to do it. There's a thread on htcpedia with information.

Hy jnwhiteh

Hopefully, I'm able to capture an adb logcat ; even better, I resinstalled R5b1 + Googlebits v1.8, and, having SDK running on my PC, I captured the full adb logcat between the first boot and and the third one.

I attached the corresponding file "logcat.txt" ; You'll see there are two lines indicating the follwing error "*** EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS. System will crash.", first in line 1018, at 15:47:23.361 and second in line 1918, at 15:48:38.969.

I hope this will be sufficient for you to figure out what is going wrong.

Best regards.

logcat.txt

Edited by leinad

Guest jnwhiteh
Hy jnwhiteh

Hopefully, I'm able to capture an adb logcat ; even better, I resinstalled R5b1 + Googlebits v1.8, and, having SDK running on my PC, I captured the full adb logcat between the first boot and and the third one.

I attached the corresponding file "logcat.txt" ; You'll see there are two lines indicating the follwing error "*** EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS. System will crash.", first in line 1018, at 15:47:23.361 and second in line 1918, at 15:48:38.969.

I hope this will be sufficient for you to figure out what is going wrong.

Best regards.

The first part of the log is missing, including the initial package scan, but I can see that this is not a clean run because you have applications in /data/app that are almost certainly throwing things off. It's possible (also) that i uploaded a version with the old kernel, I'll have to look at it. Luckily I can get to my machine later today =)

The first part of the log is missing, including the initial package scan

Do you mean I should do another test similarly, but stopping just after the first reboot ?

Guest jnwhiteh
Do you mean I should do another test similarly, but stopping just after the first reboot ?

No, at this point wait for me to make another beta. Just in general, I always want to see the very first line of the logcat. The way I do this:

1. adb shell reboot

2. adb logcat

The adb logcat will wait until the device starts and then connect.. giving you everything from the start. Just need to make sure your backscroll on your terminal is long enough =)

No, at this point wait for me to make another beta. Just in general, I always want to see the very first line of the logcat. The way I do this:

1. adb shell reboot

2. adb logcat

The adb logcat will wait until the device starts and then connect.. giving you everything from the start. Just need to make sure your backscroll on your terminal is long enough =)

OK. I got the point for next time ...

Waiting for your R5b2 :)

1. adb shell reboot

2. adb logcat

or do "adb logcat > logcat.txt" :)

me using ubuntu i created an alias for logcat:

alias aslog='adb logcat|tee logcat.txt'

this way the log is written to logcat.txt AND shown on my terminal. so i can watch it AND can check it later for errors.

Guest jnwhiteh
Paul, cant you update the kitchen with the enhanced taskkiller, and updated google bits?

I don't know what you're talking about with Enhanced Taskkiller.. but the 1.8 Googlebits are still "beta", so NO.

I don't know what you're talking about with Enhanced Taskkiller.. but the 1.8 Googlebits are still "beta", so NO.

Oh so theyre beta. I meant the enhanced internal taskkiller, he implemented it in the MCR 3.2b5 kitchen

Guest Profete162

I just wanted to tell you a Strange story with your ROM.

I was in my car, battery @ 40% and a few minuts after, i wanted to make a call ( not in my car..lol) and the phone was sooo hot!

I was a little bit worried, when i saw that i had no battery ( see graph). I don't understand how it's possible to get a 40% battery drain in less than one hour!

The wifi and data were turned off!

20100128-jekts7sq69jb1rk5rk81p24gu1.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Guest arkhonic
I just wanted to tell you a Strange story with your ROM.

I was in my car, battery @ 40% and a few minuts after, i wanted to make a call ( not in my car..lol) and the phone was sooo hot!

I was a little bit worried, when i saw that i had no battery ( see graph). I don't understand how it's possible to get a 40% battery drain in less than one hour!

The wifi and data were turned off!

20100128-jekts7sq69jb1rk5rk81p24gu1.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Were you using Google maps or some other nav software? It's the quickest way to drain the battery and explains the heat also

Edited by arkhonic

Guest Profete162
Were you using Google maps or some other nav software? It's the quickest way to drain the battery and explains the heat also

I didn't touch the phone or launch an app.

The phone was in my pocket the whole day and when the drain arrived, i did nothing....always and still in my pocket!

Guest jnwhiteh

Alright. Lox found an older version of the 2.6.29 HTC kernel that seems to have better battery life (either that or the wimax stuff being commented out stops the drain). I think the kernel we've been using includes the Spring specific wimax stuff, and if that has been running (or trying to) it could definitely effect our battery life.

That being said, here is aosp-2.1-jnwhiteh-r5-beta2. Those of you that have been reporting issues, please try it and let me know as soon as you have good data.

You should be able to just flash this directly on-top of your existing ROM if you were using 1.7 GoogleBits or 1.8 GoogleBits. If you were using something prior, then you'll want to flash GoogleBits on top of it.l