AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

a couple of other issues i`ve been having;

screen doesn`t rotate.

no H for hsdpa connection. ( not sure if the icon is missing or if i`m not actually connecting to hspda with this rom and sticking on 3g for some reason).

still think this is the best 2 rom around......... :)

Guest jnwhiteh
a couple of other issues i`ve been having;

screen doesn`t rotate.

Be more specific. The screen most certainly rotates when an application is orientation enabled.

no H for hsdpa connection. ( not sure if the icon is missing or if i`m not actually connecting to hspda with this rom and sticking on 3g for some reason).

Check your APNs, the icon is definitely there and I've seen it in use.

Guest nuumuun
Please don't just say you 'get force closes'. What force closes. When. Yes, you should always try rebooting.

i did say "system" force closes ... full msg: "The process system has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

as to when. after activating "Use wireless networks" in "Location & Security" settings. but since i didn't reboot i assumed that was the error, which it was.

Network Location is still not working tho ... so no luck for me :)

anyways ... thanks for the great rom!

the only two things that bother me are that Network Location does not work and that the camera always puts a timestamp on photos (which seems to be a driver issue since it does that on all 2.0 roms i have tried). i'll keep you posted if i find any solutions :)

Coming back to NetworkLocation problem

Since NetworkLocation is still not working neither on Maps nor on GenieWidget Wether, I fisrt took a look on logcat, and found the following information coming regularly :

NetworkLocationProvider(91): onCellLocationChanged [20421,-1]

I then tried to see whether the problem wasn't elsewhere, perhaps on the network itself. I dialed "*#*#4636#*#*" on my Hero, and saw the following screen :

post-253948-1263562181_thumb.jpg

Since the phone itself does not know the cell id, this explains why NetworkLocation does not work ...

Could anybody else having same troubles with NetworkLocation try the same process, and report ...

Guest jnwhiteh
i did say "system" force closes ... full msg: "The process system has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

as to when. after activating "Use wireless networks" in "Location & Security" settings. but since i didn't reboot i assumed that was the error, which it was.

Thanks, I just need you to be specific. Some phrases I don't respond well to:

• it 'force closes'
  • it's 'laggy'
  • battery life sucks

Because none of them give me any information to help improve the situation. You're not terribly guilty of any of them, but I figured I'd share them anyway.

Network Location is still not working tho ... so no luck for me :)

anyways ... thanks for the great rom!

the only two things that bother me are that Network Location does not work and that the camera always puts a timestamp on photos (which seems to be a driver issue since it does that on all 2.0 roms i have tried). i'll keep you posted if i find any solutions :)

This should definitely NOT be the case and indicates that you are not running this ROM stock, after a wipe. I receive no timestamps on this ROM and have never.. whereas I always did on 2.0.1. You'll need to do some more digging.. no wonder NetworkLocation isnt' working for you. Let me know!

EDIT: Whoops I lied. I'm fairly sure at some point I had a version of this that didn't have the timestamp issue. Do we have any 2.x roms right now that DON'T show a timestamp after taking a photo? Particularly, does Kagudroid or the Espresso hybrid build show one? Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh

Since NetworkLocation is still not working neither on Maps nor on GenieWidget Wether, I fisrt took a look on logcat, and found the following information coming regularly :

I then tried to see whether the problem wasn't elsewhere, perhaps on the network itself. I dialed "*#*#4636#*#*" on my Hero, and saw the following screen :

post-253948-1263562181_thumb.jpg

Since the phone itself does not know the cell id, this explains why NetworkLocation does not work ...

Could anybody else having same troubles with NetworkLocation try the same process, and report ...

Yes, if your phone doesn't have a carrier id, it will have difficulty finding your location. Thanks for the information.

Guest nuumuun

same here ...

logcat entries for NetworkLocationProvider:

NetworkLocationProvider( 95): onCellLocationChanged [1000,-1]

and CID=unknown

i'll try a fresh wipe and install and see how it goes ... wish me luck :)

Edited by nuumuun

Guest ermacwins

wasnt recovery suppose to be permanent?

why are there 3 home screens?

why dont the tab go all the way up (when showing all the apps installed)

when i loaded market it had all my apps i bought then after a while it didnt show them

no way to get smat dial back?

why does the snes emu lag when u touch the screen?

what happened to the big music and weather widget?

gps is not as accurate

why is google going backwards?

when i loaded market it had all my apps i bought then after a while it didnt show them

gps is not as accurate

Why don't you read all thread before posting ?

Guest nuumuun
and CID=unknown

ok ... here are my findings:

CID=unknown in all 2.0 roms i tried (espresso hybrid, kagudroid, hikari, aosp community -> fresh wipe and install with google bits)

also tried with different radios ... all the same result

CID=6f2e23 in modaco 3.1

so at least now i'm sure it's not a carrier issue.

i hope this helps somehow :)

Yes, if your phone doesn't have a carrier id, it will have difficulty finding your location. Thanks for the information.

I restored back all my previous ROM :

STOCK HTC running 1.5 : CID is OK

Any ROM running Android 2.0 or 2.0.1 : CID is unknown

Impotant tip : On all these ROM, I use last radio ROM 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 (showing as 63.18.55.06JH_6.35.09.26)

It seems that CID information is not properly handled since Android 2.0, at least for my carrier !!!

Guest surfsmurf

gps is not as accurate

You know, most of those questions can be answered with "Because this ROM is based on AOSP".

Guest jnwhiteh

It is, but nandroid backups/restore change them. This ROM has nothing to do with your issues.

gps is not as accurate

They aren't. Read the thread, pay attention and don't waste our time. This is an AOSP ROM and the behavior you are experiencing are the same on any AOSP ROM. Stop being so damn demanding, you're not entitled to anything.

Guest jnwhiteh
Seems like this thread could be interesting for google or htc. In case they aren´t already aware of this. :)

They are, we've had to fix scores of bugs that don't exist in the released versions. They keep their own private repository for Android and let the carriers have access to it, and don't commit their changes back to the AOSP repository for quite some time.. which is sad.

same here ...

logcat entries for NetworkLocationProvider:

NetworkLocationProvider( 95): onCellLocationChanged [1000,-1]

and CID=unknown

I can confirm that

CID = unknown

in MoDaCo 3.1 the CID has a value.

Maik

ok ... here are my findings:

CID=unknown in all 2.0 roms i tried (espresso hybrid, kagudroid, hikari, aosp community -> fresh wipe and install with google bits)

also tried with different radios ... all the same result

CID=6f2e23 in modaco 3.1

so at least now i'm sure it's not a carrier issue.

i hope this helps somehow :)

Same here. Also just noticed coarse location doesn't work.

Could it be that our NetworkLocation problems come from the radio ROM in conjonction with Android 2.0 ?

Could you please confirm that you all are using 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 (showing as 63.18.55.06JH_6.35.09.26) ?

And is there anybody having NetworkLocation working fine, and using this Radio ROM ?

Guest mkolonko
And is there anybody having NetworkLocation working fine, and using this Radio ROM ?

location working for me...

i use the latest rom, and the latest radio. 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 showing as JH.

on Orange CH

Edited by mkolonko

Guest jnwhiteh

i use the latest rom, and the latest radio. 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 showing as JH.

on Orange CH

And it works for you with wifi off?

Guest Vido.Ardes

Finally, light at the end of the tunnel! I can confirm this too, and I have tried the following radios:

63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15

63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25

All with the same result, so unless there is a new radio pushed with the offical update I don't think it is the combination of ROM and Radio (i.e a differant currenly availible radio will work)

on Orange CH

Does it work immediately after reboot, and wifi off ?

I noticed that the current, or last known, location is saved somewhere. Thus, if wifi is on, it provides a location. Then, if you turn wifi off, the last location saved is used, even if network location does not provide any information.

I think an accurate test to do is :

1 Turn wifi off

2 Reboot

3 Launch Google Maps in order to see whether Network location works using cell-id.

Another test (much straightforward) :

1 Turn wifi off

2 Dial *#*#4636#*#*

3 In the screen which pops-up, choose first choice (something like 'Informations on the phone')

4 In the next screen, search for the Location information, with LAC & CID data. If CID not shows as unknown, then, Location using GSM network is working.

Could you please report ?

Thank you.

Guest masterpfa
It is, but nandroid backups/restore change them. This ROM has nothing to do with your issues.

They aren't. Read the thread, pay attention and don't waste our time. This is an AOSP ROM and the behavior you are experiencing are the same on any AOSP ROM. Stop being so damn demanding, you're not entitled to anything.

You must be pulling your hair out by now.

Loved this ROM and your previous ROMS jnwhiteh, they do exactly as it says on the tin!

I have used them in the past for an insight into 2.0.1 and 2.1 and have enjoyed the experience and appreciate your efforts as I am sure 99.9% of people here are.

:)

Guest pillock

Hi, sorry guys been at work all day with my Hero locked in the car and no internet access (secure workshop.... sucks a lot!)

jnwhiteh - you're quite right, it was a typo on my part. I shall edit my original post, I did indeed use aosp21_eugene_manup_jnwhiteh to provide NetworkLocation.apk

I've tested it at home and two worksites today and it's picked up cell locations perfectly every time. Is there any other information I can provide for people from my phone now it's working?