Endless FC-loop a couple of times a day

Guest Bokai

Hi guys,

I've been having some FC-loop issues since I upgraded to Modaco custom rom. It appears at least a couple of times a day and the only thing I can do to get my Hero to work again is to reboot. I'm kinda new to custom roms, so please bear with me... :)

The processes that seem to stop working are htc launcher and htc sense + alot of others(I just recently learned about logcat so I haven't run it to get more precise info, but will do that later today when the looping begins).

The problems began after I first rooted my Hero and flashed MoDaCo 2.9. Right now I'm sitting on 3.1, which is totally awesome except that I still get these damn FCs. Before I upgraded to 3.1 I did a wipe/factory reset via recovery mode, but the FC-loop is still there.

After searching some here on the forums and elsewhere on the web I thought I'd try to wipe dalvik cache + fix mismatched UIDs.

UIDs are now fixed but apparently I can't use the wipe dalvik cache from recovery mode, I only get "Error : Run 'wipe dalvik' via adb!").

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get wipe dalvik cache to work?

Or perhaps any other advice that could point me in the right direction to solve this and make my phone even more awesome? :)

Some info:

Build: MoDaCo 3.1

Kernel: 2.6.17-mck-teknologist-1,91

Baseband: 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29

I also encountered the same situation as you. Message "Force close" when I select "Mount USB" and a number of software more

Edited by mrtran

I also encountered the same situation as you. Message "Force close" when I select "Mount USB" and a number of software more

This doesn't occur when I Mount USB. In fact, I can even mount USB while the FC is looping.

It seems my loop has something to do with a scheduled event that should take place sometime around 4pm and perhaps some other time of the day(It was FC-looping when I woke up this morning). Slightly after 4pm I wake up my phone and get ready to go home from work. 2 days in a row now, it has been in the force close loop when I turn it on... This might just be chance ofcourse.

Can someone please help my understand the following from logcat? This is just a snippet of the log, there is more in the attached .txt. Too me it seems like several apps need "provider settings" that come from com.android.provider.settings.settingsprovider, but it can't provide anything and therefor lots of stuff dies. As I'm a total noob at custom roms, modding and Linux it feels like I am fumbling in the dark here... Please help!

W/ActivityManager(  108): Process com.android.providers.settings has crashed too many times: killing!
D/ActivityManager( 108): Force removing process ProcessRecord{43824660 3947:system/1000} (system/1000)
W/ActivityManager( 108): Unable to launch app android/1000 for provider sync: launching app became null
I/ActivityManager( 108): Killing app com.htc.launcher (pid 3924) because provider android.content.SyncProvider is in dying process system
I/Process ( 108): Sending signal. PID: 3924 SIG: 9
W/ActivityManager( 108): Unable to launch app com.android.providers.settings/1000 for provider settings: launching app became null
W/ActivityManager( 108): Unable to launch app com.android.providers.settings/1000 for provider settings: launching app became null
E/ActivityThread( 3934): Failed to find provider info for settings
D/AndroidRuntime( 3934): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm( 3934): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40013140)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3934): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due to uncaught exception
I/ActivityManager( 108): Killing app com.google.process.gapps (pid 3934) because provider com.android.providers.settings.SettingsProvider is in dying process system
I/Process ( 108): Sending signal. PID: 3934 SIG: 9
I/Process ( 108): Sending signal. PID: 3947 SIG: 9
I/ActivityManager( 108): Process com.google.process.gapps (pid 3934) has died.
D/ActivityManager( 108): Received spurious death notification for thread android.os.BinderProxy@437e2158
I/ActivityManager( 108): Process com.htc.launcher (pid 3924) has died.
D/dalvikvm( 3960): Rosie launcher will have a 32MB heap[/codebox]

FC_loop_log.txt

Guest soulehs

Do any of you use Advanced Task Manager?

I found that after version 3.0 ATM does something weird and makes sense etc force close.

Worked flawlessly when i uninstalled it.

Guest raburgess

I had exactly the same problem, only happened in MoDaCo Roms for me. The suggestions I was told to do was to:

1. Make and exception for HTC Checkin Service (If you use any sort of Task Manager Program)

2. Fix apk uid mismatches

None of these worked for me so I am now using Hikari rom until someone comes up with a solution

I'm using Advanced Task Manager.

I will try to create an exeption for HTC Checkin Service.

How to fix apk uid mismatches?

If it doesn't work to make an exception to HTC Checkin service, try uninstalling. I did it as recommended above, and I haven't encountered the FC loop yet. *crosses fingers*

To fix uid you use recovery mode. If you have Amon Ra's recovery image, then it is under the menu "Other". I'm sure you can do it trough ADP shell, but I'm no expert there...

Guest raburgess
Excluded google partnerservice and HTC Checkin service - still works :)

I think this is the solution

Glad it worked for you guys, hasn't done for me :)