where are the nice apps like iphone ?

Guest mr.bhola

Guest mr.bhola

Joww

The iphone have nice apps

but Windows mobile ?:)

Have somebody also ported apps from iphone to windows mobile ?

And want make people a list of his nice apps for windows mobile ?

Joww

The iphone have nice apps

but Windows mobile ?:)

Have somebody also ported apps from iphone to windows mobile ?

And want make people a list of his nice apps for windows mobile ?

WinMo has been majorly slacking on apps compared to iPhone, Android, and even Blackberry. You can find some apps using Windows Mobile Marketplace, random websites around the web, or I've had great luck lately using this program http://www.modaco.com/content/windows-mobi...re-marketplace/.

WinMo has been majorly slacking on apps compared to iPhone, Android, and even Blackberry. You can find some apps using Windows Mobile Marketplace, random websites around the web, or I've had great luck lately using this program http://www.modaco.com/content/windows-mobi...re-marketplace/.

Dude, say wha? Windows Mobile has a ton load of apps, I believe it has more than Apple, and definitely more than Android and Blackberry. Best of all, almost all of them are useful compared to the iPhones offering of fart apps. The only real problem I guess is the ui but meh, works for me.

Guest mr.bhola

Iphone has around the 30.ooo apps.

All apps and icons are nice

but window mobile icons not you now what i mean ?:)

Windows mobile has nice apps but not everything is perfect

the most are like plugins

I hope when windows mobile 7 is coming that are better apps coming.

Iphone is on the moment the best with apps.

And i think google phone also

Guest stevenz

but window mobile icons not you now what i mean ?:)

30,000 apps, and upwards of 25,000 of them are useless rubbish or inferior copies of other apps. (Same is true of any platform to a degree though).

If you lust after iPhone apps and need something you can't find on WinMo, then you might want to just buy an iPhone.

WinMo phones are largely considered "serious" devices whereas iPhones are a combination of status symbol and toy. Great MP3 players and some brilliant apps, but as an actual _phone_, they're sadly lacking in functionality compared to often far inferior devices. They are however good for non-techies due to this self-same limitation as there's not much for them to get confused with, power users are another story.

Research what you want before you get it and you won't be disappointed. If you want a mp3 player with some handy apps and a basic phone, then the iphone is a good (albeit expensive) option. If you want a work phone, get a WinMo or Blackberry. If you want a combination of them but a relatively immature platform, get an Android.

30,000 apps, and upwards of 25,000 of them are useless rubbish or inferior copies of other apps. (Same is true of any platform to a degree though).

If you lust after iPhone apps and need something you can't find on WinMo, then you might want to just buy an iPhone.

WinMo phones are largely considered "serious" devices whereas iPhones are a combination of status symbol and toy. Great MP3 players and some brilliant apps, but as an actual _phone_, they're sadly lacking in functionality compared to often far inferior devices. They are however good for non-techies due to this self-same limitation as there's not much for them to get confused with, power users are another story.

Research what you want before you get it and you won't be disappointed. If you want a mp3 player with some handy apps and a basic phone, then the iphone is a good (albeit expensive) option. If you want a work phone, get a WinMo or Blackberry. If you want a combination of them but a relatively immature platform, get an Android.

Great mp3 players? Seriously, the iPhone and any iPod for that matter sound like rubbish. Zunes, Creatives and similar devices sound much better. Heck, I'd even say that the Omnia sounds better with WowHD and PocketPlayer installed.

Guest ...angel...

but window mobile icons not you now what i mean ? :)

How did you know that all apps and icons are nice? Did you already try all of them? If you don't, then have you read comments about every apps that you're talking about? :)

For me, there's no perfect platform... Each of them has its own ups and downs... And you cannot really judge which is the best or worst unless you've used all of them simultaneously :) or at least, within the same span of time...... :)

Edited by ...angel...

Guest thescope

Look I had my share of time playing with the Iphones and I can say this:

If you want an app from some cooking magazine, some app from a TV station or an app by the community IE: fart apps, silly games, 1001 twitter and facebook sillyness then the Iphone is for you!

On Windwos Mobile you have more Productive Apps and they are not Apps but rather Software like: Editing documents, making PDF files, browing the Internet, Image editing, and so on, oh and FPSECE for serious PSX Gamers that beats the Iphone's emulator... Got GTA2, Driver2 on my phone and you? :)

Guest dopeness

it's really not a matter of gimmick apps vs serious apps. It a matter of convenience and availability. I don't hate the iPhone. I see how it would be nice to NOT have to photo shop your own icons :) , have major businesses create apps specifically for my phone for easy shopping and have all the apps stored in one central location. you would have to be blind (and stubborn) to overlook the value in this. Windows is behind - period. I have had a winMo phone since forever. I plan on getting the HTC HD2, but I am not going to sit here and say the metro app and other apps I have seen would not have been nice to get the first day I got my phone. Windows really needs to step it up - a lot, but I am not leaving for the iPhone.

Dude, say wha? Windows Mobile has a ton load of apps, I believe it has more than Apple, and definitely more than Android and Blackberry. Best of all, almost all of them are useful compared to the iPhones offering of fart apps. The only real problem I guess is the ui but meh, works for me.

And where might these large number of apps be that I've missed :)

Also some people like useless apps, like myself, and I also enjoy free apps, which windows is hurting on quality ones. I also don't use any of the business crap that WinMo is aimed at. Competitive pricing is another thing. I've seen pac man for android for like a buck, while on Winmo its 6 bucks. I'm not trying to start an argument but its a matter of preference as to how one uses their phone, and some like the Microsoft Office Mobile and some like fart apps.

I´m looking too for some applications. Not useful application, like the ant walking around the screen, the pop-corn, the Beer (Diammond Beer do not works well), and more funny applications

Guest pantsman

"I'm not looking for useful apps", "there aren't enough free apps", "apps should be no more than $1"... As a developer I must say, these kinds of comments are not motivating. Quality, price and delivery date. You pick 2, I get to pick the other 1.

Edited by pantsman

Also some people like useless apps, like myself, and I also enjoy free apps, which windows is hurting on quality ones. I also don't use any of the business crap that WinMo is aimed at. Competitive pricing is another thing. I've seen pac man for android for like a buck, while on Winmo its 6 bucks. I'm not trying to start an argument but its a matter of preference as to how one uses their phone, and some like the Microsoft Office Mobile and some like fart apps.

You can start looking here http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ and here http://www.1800pocketpc.com/ and these are the free ones. HandandGo (link) has many pay for apps.

There are also a ton load more on/at XDA developers but they are mostly in development phase if they don't make it to the sites mentioned.

25.ooo Apps of Iphone is really useless, the icons is nice for kindergarden,

that's all.

I like business and usefull apps, all other is crap for me, it give people what use the

handy for playing around, maybe the useless apps are for this ones.

Look I had my share of time playing with the Iphones and I can say this:

If you want an app from some cooking magazine, some app from a TV station or an app by the community IE: fart apps, silly games, 1001 twitter and facebook silliness then the Iphone is for you!

On Windows Mobile you have more Productive Apps and they are not Apps but rather Software like: Editing documents, making PDF files, browsing the Internet, Image editing, and so on, oh and FPSECE for serious PSX Gamers that beats the Iphone's emulator... Got GTA2, Driver2 on my phone and you?

Thats true its also my opinion!

Guest La Traviata
Dude, say wha? Windows Mobile has a ton load of apps, I believe it has more than Apple, and definitely more than Android and Blackberry. Best of all, almost all of them are useful compared to the iPhones offering of fart apps.

That's what I thought when I bought my Omnia, but I found that it isn't true, at least not for the apps I need. The iPhone has at least as many business, travel and language apps, and as good ones, as WinMo, if not more. And often cheaper too. For example, the Bloomberg app for iPhone is free, whereas for WinMo you need an expensive subscription. SPB Wallet for WinMO costs $29.95, for iPhone it is $9.95. SPB Brain Evolution for WinMo costs $19.95, for iPhone $4.95. And so on. I found this pattern to be true for many apps, if a WinMo app existed at all. Finding Japanese language learning apps that go beyond a basic dictionary was a real challenge and to get my Omnia to display and write Japanese I had to install an app from XDA developers that works great, but takes up 50% of my main memory because it can't run from My Storage or SD card. Whereas the iPhone supports Asian languages out of the box. Yes, I can flash to a lighter ROM, but I shouldn't have to do all that. And because the iPhone apps are designed specifically for a very small range of handsets you don't have the frustrating experience of an app not working right because your phone has the wrong screen size or driver for it. Of course, more apps also means more crap, but that’s hardly unique to the iPhone.

I see how it would be nice to NOT have to photo shop your own icons :) , have major businesses create apps specifically for my phone for easy shopping and have all the apps stored in one central location. you would have to be blind (and stubborn) to overlook the value in this. Windows is behind - period.

I completely agree with this. The problem is that WinMo isn't as popular as iPhone, be that due to marketing, practicality or whatever, so fewer people buy the handsets and use the apps and therefore fewer developers will be attracted to developing for WinMo.

Guest Jokes On You

WiMo's was intended for business users. That is its target audience. The iPhone's original intention was to appeal to the masses and make things "easy". You are right that it is a matter of preference but the power still lies with Wimo.

Edited by Jokes On You

Finding Japanese language learning apps that go beyond a basic dictionary was a real challenge and to get my Omnia to display and write Japanese I had to install an app from XDA developers that works great, but takes up 50% of my main memory because it can't run from My Storage or SD card. Whereas the iPhone supports Asian languages out of the box.

Are you using the .cab found here for Japanese support? Every time I install this I'm able to choose My Storage as the destination, and it installs fine (though I do think it is adding at least some files, and fonts in particular, to the Main Memory - no getting around this). I use Japanese regularly on my omnia, and while the input options this cab provides aren't perfect, they work well enough. One really cool thing I just recently noticed: if you enable Japanese support using the ctrl-shift-shift-control combo used in this program, then switch to a regular QWERTY keyboard, you can actually do phonetic input of japanese just like you would at your PC's physical keyboard! Combined with a finger friendly keyboard, this means I don't need the stylus to use Japanese!

As for Japanese study: the Omnia can be a great tool with a little work. Google for Pocket Dictionary and e-Native's showcase task manager. Install and load up some japanese content appropriate to your level either from the internet or in a comic reader (the latter being a great option if you're more of a beginner.) When you don't know a word/kanji, look it up. Assign Showcase to your menu button for quick switching between content/dictionary. As someone who has mastered the language, I guarantee you will learn more this way than you would with some silly flash card program.

If you want a phone that just works, and you can live with it's limitations (I can't imagine my omnia without multitasking, though this is slated to change for the iPhone soon), then I see the appeal of the iPhone. But the Omnia and other WinMo devices appeal to a different kind of user with a different set of demands, who doesn't mind putting in a little time/effort finding things for themselves. And I've yet to find a situation where I've wanted to do something on my phone that there simply wasn't a free windows mobile app to accomplish.

Guest La Traviata
Are you using the .cab found here for Japanese support? Every time I install this I'm able to choose My Storage as the destination, and it installs fine (though I do think it is adding at least some files, and fonts in particular, to the Main Memory - no getting around this). I use Japanese regularly on my omnia, and while the input options this cab provides aren't perfect, they work well enough. One really cool thing I just recently noticed: if you enable Japanese support using the ctrl-shift-shift-control combo used in this program, then switch to a regular QWERTY keyboard, you can actually do phonetic input of japanese just like you would at your PC's physical keyboard! Combined with a finger friendly keyboard, this means I don't need the stylus to use Japanese!

As for Japanese study: the Omnia can be a great tool with a little work. Google for Pocket Dictionary and e-Native's showcase task manager. Install and load up some japanese content appropriate to your level either from the internet or in a comic reader (the latter being a great option if you're more of a beginner.) When you don't know a word/kanji, look it up. Assign Showcase to your menu button for quick switching between content/dictionary. As someone who has mastered the language, I guarantee you will learn more this way than you would with some silly flash card program.

Yes, that's the .cab I'm using. I installed it in My Storage, but most of the files still saved in main memory, so it doesn't make too much of a difference (I confirmed that with the developer). I've more or less got my Omnia set up like you, except that I'm using the task manager from SPB Mobile shell and for finger friendly input SPB keyboard. No need to do the shift + ctrl activation as it is a multi-language keyboard; you can switch between languages by pressing a key. I also found flash cards and a kanji reading and writing app, although the stroke order exercise doesn't seem to work (keeps giving me errors even for super-simple kanji like "ichi").*

I'm quite happy with my Omnia now (except that the "back" key in IE keeps crashing my phone, 3 hard resets and still the same), but I couldn't say that I feel my apps are more useful or plentiful than comparable iPhone apps, on the contrary. I also feel that it should be easier to enable my supposedly business-oriented WinMo phone to support non-Western SMS/email/websites, considering that business is done increasingly on a global basis, especially Asia. It is ironic that we have to rely on the goodwill and entrepreneurial spirit of unofficial developers, while the casual/fun-oriented iPhone can do it natively. Plus, I read that WinMo 7 will not be reverse compatible, i.e. WM 6.x apps won't work on it, so I might as well consider switching OS. I have started to look at Android.

* Edit: got the stroke order exercise to work by installing .net CF 3.5 (needed it for another app) and switching to 3.5 as device default via configuration tool.

Edited by La Traviata

Guest Unisoldrew
WiMo's was intended for business users. That is its target audience. The iPhone's original intention was to appeal to the masses and make things "easy". You are right that it is a matter of preference but the power still lies with Wimo.

I disagree entirely.

I switched to iPhone a couple of months ago as WinMo (and the Omnia) was driving me insane.

There are some fantastic app's for the iphone and what's great is that they are frequently updated and notified when right there on your home screen.

I always found myself defending the Omnia when in the company of an iphone user but never realised just how far ahead the iphone actually is. I use the phone far far more than I did with the Omnia just because it all works so beautifully.

Guest mr.bhola
I disagree entirely.

I switched to iPhone a couple of months ago as WinMo (and the Omnia) was driving me insane.

There are some fantastic app's for the iphone and what's great is that they are frequently updated and notified when right there on your home screen.

I always found myself defending the Omnia when in the company of an iphone user but never realised just how far ahead the iphone actually is. I use the phone far far more than I did with the Omnia just because it all works so beautifully.

The Iphone has nice icons

but now im busy with the iconchanger for my phone so the icons are nice

somebody has icons for me ?

Guest Unisoldrew
The Iphone has nice icons

but now im busy with the iconchanger for my phone so the icons are nice

somebody has icons for me ?

Nice icons don't make for a good phone.

Hi Unisoldrew,

could you be more specific - what SW are you actually using on your ipnone?

I'm asking because when it comes to apple products what we see/read/hear is how "gorgeous", "nice", "good", "perfect", "superior", etc. are they, but no one really gives examples in what sense & why. I'm not defending any OS or phone manifacturers, but I don't see any real comparison between for example todayagenda/s2u2/m2d and iphone's XX apps.

Please share with us your opinion which 3rd party software are you using on your iphone and if you have time - why do you find it better than the corresponding sw for the other mobile OSes

Thanks in advance

Oh c'mon now,get to the reality and stop dreaming will you? iPhone has been quite popular due to its massive advertisement and ease of use plus that super expensive price so that you can showoff how rich you are when you have an iPhone in your hand!

Massive advertisement did I say,and clever too! If you read your newspaper then you'll see that most of the universities producing all those crazy mechanice stuff always want to control 'em with iPhones,as if our WinMo ones doesn't have wi-fi or bluetooth :) Look for any advertisement or say festival or some huge event where people are taking pictures they you'll most likely notice only the people with iPhones are highlighted in there,only once in my whole life I found a guy trying to show an accident he recorded in his HTC is highlighted but his picture was so little that you hardly see that its an HTC Touch HD! Do you watch TV,in my case I watch Discovery channel regularly and almost in each and every show I watch, almost all of the guys are carrying iPhones and will expose it if possible on almost every scene in some series eventhough its not related to the show or anything and they got landphones just behind or near 'em! Now see all that its really tempting to make you drool to own that cool device which everyone uses right?

Lets get to the point,have you ever noticed any system specification as to what processor or screen resolution iPhone uses? Nah never heard of it right? Ya thats what makes iPhone so popular among developers,no matter what model or which firmwire the screen resolution always remains the same and so does the hardware configuration so developers can produce the best graphics for every app they make.

Now come to winmo,there are like six standard types of screen resolution that are used in WinMo industry these which as you know VGA QVGA WQVGA WVGA SQVGA SVGA,so when a developer produce one app for say he targetted VGA,he then just do some scaling for other resolutions without massive re-editing so most of the quality is lost,plus the developers for WinMo have to worry about the compatibility of the hardwares and OS and most of the application/games that you get for WinMo work from WinMo 2003 to WinMo 6.5,so there is a lot of stuff to do to make all the application/games work on all these versions.

In case of iPhone most of the applications are tragetted for only one resolution plus the same hardware configuration and sometimes to specific firmwire version(found from many iPhone developers' blog) as an app for one firmwire most of times won't work with another but not always. So iPhone developers get a lot of free times and little work so they just use all those free time to produce all kinds of crappy ish*ts to flourish and earn more money and increase the iPhone software list length.

To my last point,as to why we don't get so many WinMo apps and games,plus why all the apps/games are super expensive,this is because if you look around in google then you'll find almost all the good applications and games for WinMo in various forums and sites for FREE! WinMo developers only earn too little for their hard works so they lose interest and eventually move to iPhone,but in case of iPhone almost all the application are purchased so these developers earn too much for their little work,you get my drift right?

And for your information except US or UK almost all the iPhones shipped around the world are jailbroken so they are already out of warranty and when you screwup your solutions to reduce your rage,hammer your iPhone or cry! But in case of WinMo,no matter what happens there is always a way around,for example if you brick your omnia then you can always go to service center and get it repaired or pay a bit if you don't have warranty.

With all that said I hope I made it clear why do we have so many cheaper application and better graphics for iPhone but not WinMo,but then again this is all from my own knowledge and experience,your can always vary!

Sorry for the huge post,but its my habit to talk little and write too much B)

Thank you

Its a hard one to call. Most people that I have met that are dissatisfied with their winmo devices are not able to customize it to the point of making it a really cool phone, but that is probably the problem with winmo to begin with as without 3rd party software like SPB etc the omnia i900 I can say stock standard was crap. Lets be honest,most of the good apps do need to be paid for with winmo to make it look good and unless your running a custom rom the truth is that Winmo is not an OS for the majority of people and thats where Apple steps in and fills the market with what "most" people want.

My main argument with Apple fanboys is their lack of ability to customize their phones but its not something that worries them and they say that its perfect the way it is and doesnt need to be altered, but thats the reason why I didnt want an Iphone because I love changing icons and wallpaper or swap from M2D to Titanium Neo or standard then maybe run SPB for a while and just keep changing things and now especially new ROM's. Its horses for courses! each to their own!

The thing with apple is that it all works, everything thats made like apps seem to be all intergrated with the phone and part of the OS from a graphics perspective where as with winmo every app has its own look making it look sort of cheap. The only software which I like the look and feel of is opera 10 and it would be good if most apps were based on this look and user friendly experience and thats is winmos downfall, its not "user friendly" or at least wasnt till the new release of bigger screens and 6.5.

You have to have of used an iphone to be able to comment and rate the differences without being biased, theyre both good in their own fields but ultimately you must buy a phone which suits your needs.

I belive the major problem is that people are not able to try or test most phones before they buy so they just buy what looks good to the eye or get conned by the sales man and when they get home they try their phone and see that its not for them but by then its too late!.

cheers

Edited by Sb.

Guest ScreamingFalcon

My main issue with the iGimmick is that once you get it, you practically wed yourself for life to getting anything and everything for the stupid thing thru Apple. iTunes is just another way for them to squeeze more money out of the developers and control them down to the most minute details of the programs that the developers come up with. I like that on WinMo devices, I get to choose where I get the programs that I want to use and that if I buy right from the developer, all of my purchase price goes straight to them. Also, emulation is WAAAAAY better and less expensive on WinMo than iGimmick.