21/May r15 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Nexus One with Online Kitchen - EPF30 Eclair

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest teknologist
+1

Anyone using 1.5.3 please try if you have the SU issue of 1.8...

I just can't wait to flash this ROM since it's so perfect except this problem.

Hey mate, why don't you try flashing ??? Only some people have the su problem !

With a nandroid backup before flashing, you don't risk that much ! ;-)

Guest Chicaned
Have 1.6.2 too.

Have you tried wiping (data+dalvik) before flashing ? Shouldn't be needed if you come from earlier MCR but just in case...

Alright man. Yeah, I wiped both before hand. Always do ;-)

I'll give it another go this weekend. I'll wait till Paul sorts out the USB Debugging issue first though.

Guest teknologist
Alright man. Yeah, I wiped both before hand. Always do ;-)

I'll give it another go this weekend. I'll wait till Paul sorts out the USB Debugging issue first though.

Personally the USB debugging message doesn't bother me...It has no adverse effect at all...

As per the wiping..if you did...I don't know what to tell you...have you tried re-flashing 1.8 over 1.8 without wiping ?...we never know...

Also, has anyone tried pushing superuser.apk to overwrite the bundled one ?

This thing is crazy, SU works without a single glitch here !

Also I can confirm battery life is great for me ! charged at 100% this morning at 10AM, left home, used the phone in 3G+, browsing, emails , phone calls etc. it's around 3PM here just got back home and still have 85% battery ! Not bad at all! :-)

Guest DistortedLoop
Next problem:

I have a headphone plugged in to make some calls while driving. Then put them off and the music starts to play...

Same happens to me sometimes. This bug has been in almost every rom I have tested. And it's very irregular to happen...sometimes music starts to play, sometimes doesn't...wierd

This bug is in Cyanogen 5.0.4.1 as well. A lot of complaints of it over there. It was pretty rare for me in the past, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen it on MCR, but it's 100% reproducible now.

You also get undesired startup of music if you have you disconnect the phone from bluetooth.

Since you're both seeing it on MCR I suppose that suggests it's not caused by either Paul or Cyanogen, unless they're borrowing something from each other that caused it.

I ran a logical of the issue and posted it on XDA. Cyanogen's got it as a verified low priority bug on his code site.

Maybe we should report it over to Google since it's likely their problem in the end.

Guest DistortedLoop
I dont mean Undervolt, I mean UnderCLOCK!

Run the CPU while in sleep state at... lets say 128Mhz. Dont know if it is possible but I think i saw it somwhere..

Get SetCPU from the Market. There's a profile for sleep mode and several others. I installed it yesterday morning. Logcat of my phone this morning shows several switches to/from sleep profile and it's clocked down CPU freq as the screen shuts off or not. Not sure I saw great savings, but too soon to tell.

Guest DistortedLoop

Also I can confirm battery life is great for me ! charged at 100% this morning at 10AM, left home, used the phone in 3G+, browsing, emails , phone calls etc. it's around 3PM here just got back home and still have 85% battery ! Not bad at all! :-)

Wow, that's absolutely crazy battery life. I'm using CM_5.0.4.1 and the undervolt .33 kernel on XDA still (waiting for some of the complaints here settle down before trying 1.8), and even with a 1600 mah battery I was down to under 80% in just three hours yesterday. Too early today to see what I'll get with a fresh charge and some tweaked SetCPU settings for a whole day. I guess I'm a heavy user and can pretty much kiss the idea of a whole day without some charger time goodbye, but every little bit will help.

If battery < 25% then switch to conservative CPU governor and have min CPU Freq set to 245Mhz and Max to 576Mhz....

Many other combinations can be tried ! ;-)

Of course I also use setCPU to lock CPU to 245Mhz when in sleep mode, helps a lot because 245Mhz is undervolted in TCK 0.7 ;-)

I've got <20% going to 245/691. Should probably tweak those more to your range.

Sleep to 245/384. Some guy on XDA arguing that it's crazy to completely hobble the CPU with no opportunity for it to grab a little more speed if it needs it. What are your thoughts on that?

Have you messed with any of the other profiles (Charging and Failsafe)?

Guest teknologist
Wow, that's absolutely crazy battery life. I'm using CM_5.0.4.1 and the undervolt .33 kernel on XDA still (waiting for some of the complaints here settle down before trying 1.8), and even with a 1600 mah battery I was down to under 80% in just three hours yesterday. Too early today to see what I'll get with a fresh charge and some tweaked SetCPU settings for a whole day. I guess I'm a heavy user and can pretty much kiss the idea of a whole day without some charger time goodbye, but every little bit will help.

I've got <20% going to 245/691. Should probably tweak those more to your range.

Sleep to 245/384. Some guy on XDA arguing that it's crazy to completely hobble the CPU with no opportunity for it to grab a little more speed if it needs it. What are your thoughts on that?

Have you messed with any of the other profiles (Charging and Failsafe)?

I use my NexusOne as phone and I think it probably is asleep most of the time..really. Even when I finish doing something quick on it, first thing I do is poweroff the screen...kind of a reflex...

Haven't messed up with the other profiles on setCPU.

As per sleep freq, I respect that guys opinion, he kind of has a point, but I don't think my phone should need to do crazy things while asleep...at least things that would need more than 245Mhz...I haven't seen any adverse effect with that setup and I am perfectly happy with my battery life compared to what people are reporting on this forums... ;-) So is Paul I think, who gave me the idea of blocking CPU to 245Mhz while asleep.. ;-)

BTW if you ask me I find it more crazy to undervolt or underclock the CPU compared to manufacturer's specs and yet we all do it and people seem to love it.. ;-) That's why in my kernel I only undervolt low freqs (ie sleep freqs)...I don't think it's a good idea to starve the CPU power wised when it's running in high speed... ;-)

By the way, haven't recharged yet, more less left the phone alone, it's 4:30PM here and I am at 76% battery level! So it really isn't linear? bottom line is, with a "normal" phone usage, I use 25% of battery in around 6hours, which is perfectly in line with my feelings that it lasts a bit more than a full 24hrs...sometimes I even get more like a couple of days when charging for just 15 minutes a few times a day, mainly when hooking the USB cable or leaving it on the dock...

Basically coming from the iPhone3G and 3GS this is really great for me!

Edited by teknologist

Guest MingoChang

Wiped my N1, and flashed 1.8 (the one without modaco-addons). When I try to launch ShootMe (an app to make screenshot), the black screen of SU permission appeared. Only a black screen, nothing for me to press or check, no choice but force quit...

This is the only problem. Everything works so fine except this issue. I switched from CM 5.0.2 to this ROM, and it's so fast and wonderful!

Cheers!

Guest Chicaned
Personally the USB debugging message doesn't bother me...It has no adverse effect at all...

As per the wiping..if you did...I don't know what to tell you...have you tried re-flashing 1.8 over 1.8 without wiping ?...we never know...

Also, has anyone tried pushing superuser.apk to overwrite the bundled one ?

I'll report back over the weekend. I know the debugging message isn't anything bad, I just like the fact my MCR 1.6 phone is running nice and smoooooth. Will give it another shot over the weekend. I love the different coloured trackball notifications. I also like the fact you can mess with the visuals in MCR 1.8.

On a seperate note, has anyone installed ExZeus yet? Is nnnniiiiiiccccccceeeee!!! Woop! Woop!

Guest DistortedLoop
I use my NexusOne as phone and I think it probably is asleep most of the time..really. Even when I finish doing something quick on it, first thing I do is poweroff the screen...kind of a reflex...

Haven't messed up with the other profiles on setCPU.

As per sleep freq, I respect that guys opinion, he kind of has a point, but I don't think my phone should need to do crazy things while asleep...at least things that would need more than 245Mhz...I haven't seen any adverse effect with that setup and I am perfectly happy with my battery life compared to what people are reporting on this forums... ;-) So is Paul I think, who gave me the idea of blocking CPU to 245Mhz while asleep.. ;-)

BTW if you ask me I find it more crazy to undervolt or underclock the CPU compared to manufacturer's specs and yet we all do it and people seem to love it.. ;-) That's why in my kernel I only undervolt low freqs (ie sleep freqs)...I don't think it's a good idea to starve the CPU power wised when it's running in high speed... ;-)

By the way, haven't recharged yet, more less left the phone alone, it's 4:30PM here and I am at 76% battery level! So it really isn't linear? bottom line is, with a "normal" phone usage, I use 25% of battery in around 6hours, which is perfectly in line with my feelings that it lasts a bit more than a full 24hrs...sometimes I even get more like a couple of days when charging for just 15 minutes a few times a day, mainly when hooking the USB cable or leaving it on the dock...

Basically coming from the iPhone3G and 3GS this is really great for me!

That's good feedback. I'm also coming from iPhones (each model from day one version of the Edge model to the 3G). I was probably less aware of the battery restraints with the iPhones because I had Mophie Juicepacks all along, and with the Air model, it's such a sleek case on the 3G/3G you didn't really notice any extra bulk. There's just no nice options for the Nexus One yet in that regard. I tried the Seidio 2800 mah w/extended back, but the back is ugly and fits poorly, allowing lint and dust into the camera and the rest of the inside of the phone. I'll say that with 2800 mah, undervolting/underclocking is something you don't even need to think about...amazing staying power with that battery.

I think the difference between your use pattern and mine is that the LAST THING my iPhones and Nexus One are is telephones! I'm on them for listening to podcasts/music, email, twitter, web browsing and SMS messages mostly. I rarely use the phone part. I love to type, but not talk!

That's something we always need to ask when others report great battery life - just how much do you really use the device, and for what.

Guest teknologist
That's good feedback. I'm also coming from iPhones (each model from day one version of the Edge model to the 3G). I was probably less aware of the battery restraints with the iPhones because I had Mophie Juicepacks all along, and with the Air model, it's such a sleek case on the 3G/3G you didn't really notice any extra bulk. There's just no nice options for the Nexus One yet in that regard. I tried the Seidio 2800 mah w/extended back, but the back is ugly and fits poorly, allowing lint and dust into the camera and the rest of the inside of the phone. I'll say that with 2800 mah, undervolting/underclocking is something you don't even need to think about...amazing staying power with that battery.

I think the difference between your use pattern and mine is that the LAST THING my iPhones and Nexus One are is telephones! I'm on them for listening to podcasts/music, email, twitter, web browsing and SMS messages mostly. I rarely use the phone part. I love to type, but not talk!

That's something we always need to ask when others report great battery life - just how much do you really use the device, and for what.

Are you implying I only use my bulky, huge screen powered NexusOne to place calls ??? LOL !

Seriously, I do web browsing all the time (mostly when I am on the couch or away from home). I send lots of SMS & emails, take pictures, tweet etc.

I have Touiteur on a 15 mn background refresh, all K9 email accounts on IMAP push, Gmail on push as well and all other kind of background notifications on. Wifi on 90% of the time too...

What I mean by using it like a phone is that when I am at work/home, and I have my MacBookPro, I rather use it than the phone ! ;-)

I wouldn't bother having a 500$ piece of hardware just to place phone calls !! ;-)

Also I don't game at all, and don't listen that much music on it .

Edited by teknologist

Guest PhonePersona
Are you implying I only use my bulky, huge screen powered NexusOne to place calls ??? LOL !

Seriously, I do web browsing all the time (mostly when I am on the couch or away from home). I send lots of SMS & emails, take pictures, tweet etc.

I have Touiteur on a 15 mn background refresh, all K9 email accounts on IMAP push, Gmail on push as well and all other kind of background notifications on. Wifi on 90% of the time too...

What I mean by using it like a phone is that when I am at work/home, and I have my MacBookPro, I rather use it than the phone ! ;-)

I wouldn't bother having a 500$ piece of hardware just to place phone calls !! ;-)

Aslos I don't game at all, and don't listen that much music on it .

I've got MAD game Teknologist.

What would you like to know? <_<

Guest lmjabreu

Please, how can I revert the trackball to the original behaviour?

Paul, can you create an option for it in the kitchen please?

Thanks

Guest DistortedLoop

Also I don't game at all, and don't listen that much music on it .

Well, there's something amiss with my phone, because I am at 43% battery in under 8 hours, WiFi off, bluetooth off, one hour pull on only two email accounts. Only two widgets running, plus Tuoiteur on 4 hour pull. Sounds like you have more stuff running than I do. Must be Cyanogen's ROM.

Probably time to switch back to this one.

Guest lamabodo
Well, there's something amiss with my phone, because I am at 43% battery in under 8 hours, WiFi off, bluetooth off, one hour pull on only two email accounts. Only two widgets running, plus Tuoiteur on 4 hour pull. Sounds like you have more stuff running than I do. Must be Cyanogen's ROM.

Probably time to switch back to this one.

To be honest, I'm still waiting for my N1 (it's stuck at Newark due to the snow...) However, I have a Hero and before that a SE X1. What I've learned about battery usage is that nothing, absolutely nothing, matters as much as network coverage. Having piss poor 3G connection, means your phone constantly tries to reconnect - using far more juice than if your 3G coverage is good.

Case in point. I live in a city with absolutely brilliant 3G coverage. With my Hero I always get through a full day without charging, and that with really heavy use (at least 2 hours of podcasts/music - perhaps an hour on Spotify streaming music, twitter, 3 mail accounts and a heap of RSS-feeds on push/10min updates, a little gaming and quite a bit of surfing, GPS activated but no WiFi. I send about 30 sms and talk say 40 minutes every day). I never have a problem getting through the day except when I'm stuck in the basement at work. There's crappy coverage there, and my phone runs out of battery around 14:00. I get about 10 hours less out of the battery when the coverage is crap.

What does this mean? Well - if your 3G coverage is slightly less than optimal, try forcing 2G only. I find that doing that, and enabling WiFi for data transfer (there's a wireless network in the basement) keeps my phone running longer, although not as long as when coverage is good, and wifi is off. Comparing battery lifetime without comparing both use and network coverage causes confusion only. When I got my X1 (what a beautiful phone, but what a thoroughly useless OS) I had a week of "basement duties", and couldn't for the life of me understand how people on XDA got several days of usage out of their phone. I couldn't event get much past lunchtime. But, come the weekend, everything was good.

So, summing up: check your coverage, and keep a USB cable handy; nowadays there's always a computer to grab some juice from. I've even blitz-charged my Hero on a till in the ticket booth on a ferry. The ticket lady was very sympathetic.

Edit: Less swearing. Sorry. No more "s***" and "badword" from me.

Edited by lamabodo

Guest MingoChang

Hmm... I enabled debugging mode, and the SU issue was perfectly solved.

Sorry, but I didn't know it requires the debugging mode to enable su...

Since I really don't care about the notification message, this 1.8 ROM is perfect for me!

Guest pda512
Hasnt solved the endless Touch Input force closes for me <_<

I had this with v12 so downloaded it again from the developers thread and reinstalled HTC IEM after I had flashed the ROM. As a temporary measure. This worked for me but have not tried V13.

Guest teknologist
To be honest, I'm still waiting for my N1 (it's stuck at Newark due to the snow...) However, I have a Hero and before that a SE X1. What I've learned about battery usage is that nothing, absolutely nothing, matters as much as network coverage. Having piss poor 3G connection, means your phone constantly tries to reconnect - using far more juice than if your 3G coverage is good.

(...)

So, summing up: check your coverage, and keep a USB cable handy; nowadays there's always a computer to grab some juice from. I've even blitz-charged my Hero on a till in the ticket booth on a ferry. The ticket lady was very sympathetic.

Edit: Less swearing. Sorry. No more "s***" and "badword" from me.

I completely agree and what I forgot to mention is that I changed my Wifi Sleep policy to "Always leave Wifi on, even when screen is off" and that made a huge change at least when I am sleeping over the night and my phone is too... ;-)

Last but not least, Paul, it seems the sequential color LED notification (services.jar) is the "sequential" color LED queued notifications. Not the colored notification itself. this night I had several different notifications queued up (green,orange,pink etc) looping and that killed 30% of my battery.

Guest wjaxxx
I completely agree and what I forgot to mention is that I changed my Wifi Sleep policy to "Always leave Wifi on, even when screen is off" and that made a huge change at least when I am sleeping over the night and my phone is too... ;-)

Last but not least, Paul, it seems the sequential color LED notification (services.jar) is the "sequential" color LED queued notifications. Not the colored notification itself. this night I had several different notifications queued up (green,orange,pink etc) looping and that killed 30% of my battery.

I totally agree.

I like color notifications, but I dont like the sequencial led....

In fact, it makes no sense as you will take a look at the phone once the first one arises. Or even if you miss the first one, you will look at the phone the very first time you see something flashing... so does not make sense for me.

Could you Paul release a "normal" services.jar for those in 1.8?

thanks!

Guest teknologist
I totally agree.

I like color notifications, but I dont like the sequencial led....

In fact, it makes no sense as you will take a look at the phone once the first one arises. Or even if you miss the first one, you will look at the phone the very first time you see something flashing... so does not make sense for me.

Could you Paul release a "normal" services.jar for those in 1.8?

thanks!

Plus it seems that services.jar is messed up because I use to control LED with Locale (mainly to turn it completely off at night) and seems Locale can't control it anymore !

Bottom line is: I love the color LED, I don't mind if I don't have sequential notifications, after all we always had white notifications before right ??

;-)

That way we also get rid of that non-blocking yet annoying ABCDEFGHIJKLMN notification bar bug...

Guest Formel-LMS

Ahhhh,

That's what i say two pages before.

Now you know, what i mean and this is correct.

It drains out the battery.

I'm surprised, that you have this problems, too.