CyanogenMod for HTC Hero (GSM) v1.0 (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest Arkymedes
I'm not being funny with you, but what do you want out of this?

I've used pretty much every ROM there is out there for months now - MCR2.8/2.9/3.0/3.1/3.2. Three flavours of Kagudroid. Two different CKDroids. Villain. Hikari. More AOSPs than I care to remember. Seriously, I flash something new most days and I always wipe between ROMs. So with that in mind, this is one of the smoothest scrolling ROMs I've seen, certainly THE smoothest Eclair ROM. MCR maybe equals it on the Cupcake front, but it's not tremendously quicker.

What your video shows is very slight input lag, not rendering lag. It's not jerking around trying to redraw the screen, it's just a few milliseconds behind reading where your finger is. But all Hero ROMs have this, it's down to the fact HTC designed the thing with a fairly crappy old CPU and no GPU capabilities and scrolling a screen is a fairly stressful thing for it to be doing. So please stop comparing it to an iPhone, which has a different class of processor. And stop expecting jnwhiteh to magically 'fix' something that isn't broken, there's far more important things that we can help him fix.

Again, sorry if this comes across as harsh.

In my opinion, you should respect a bit more the feedback from the users.

When you set the bar low and everybody is happy with it, there will be no improvements whatsoever in the future. It's because of feedback from people like us that makes the community goes forward and forward.

Think about it a little bit before coming hard on someone that only is trying to point it out a flaw. Now, if this is a hardware limitation or poor software implementation or lack of drivers or whatever, it's another story.

Please don't discourage people from finding out problems or nitpicking as you might call it. I strongly disagree with that kind of attitude.

Guest jnwhiteh
In my opinion, you should respect a bit more the feedback from the users.

When you set the bar low and everybody is happy with it, there will be no improvements whatsoever in the future. It's because of feedback from people like us that makes the community goes forward and forward.

Think about it a little bit before coming hard on someone that only is trying to point it out a flaw. Now, if this is a hardware limitation or poor software implementation or lack of drivers or whatever, it's another story.

Please don't discourage people from finding out problems or nitpicking as you might call it. I strongly disagree with that kind of attitude.

He's not the developer, so he has no users. I've done none of the above, and I'd appreciate if everyone would just let the issue drop. I am not ignoring any performance issues, nor am I actively hunting down issues that exist. If you are not comfortable using this ROM in this state, please feel free to use another ROM and check back in the future.

Period. End of.

Guest jank.dk

Hi

Great ROM. I think I know why some people are complaining about lag. The MCR 3.1 uses the performance scaling governor, but this ROM uses the ondemand governor. Might also be the reason why some people have reported lower battery usage.

I am finding the browser a little slow in loading pages even over wifi, obviously is just the default brower, also tried dolphin and that too was slow, anyone else noticed this? Anyone suggest anyway to speed it up?

Guest jnwhiteh
I am finding the browser a little slow in loading pages even over wifi, obviously is just the default brower, also tried dolphin and that too was slow, anyone else noticed this? Anyone suggest anyway to speed it up?

I've been incredibly impressed with the browser rendering speed, so no..

Guest Arkymedes
I've been incredibly impressed with the browser rendering speed, so no..

Me too, no issues with the browser. Actually the fastest from any ROM so far. 3G and WiFi.

Guest jnwhiteh
Can I install Googlebits 1.9 over this ROM? It has more goodies in it.

Like what.. the cardock you can't use? They should have the same applications other than that..

Guest jnwhiteh
I thought it had navigation in Maps.

Well this is the latest Maps apk, including pinch to zoom, just shipped with the Nexus. Feel free to flash whatever you want, however.

It won't do it for you, no.

Can you please take a look at this issue....

./adb remount

./adb shell apps2sd on

and apps2d doesn't work for unknown reason

Thanks !

Guest jnwhiteh
Can you please take a look at this issue....

./adb remount

./adb shell apps2sd on

and apps2d doesn't work for unknown reason

Thanks !

1. Is your SD card partitioned.

2. This does not and will not take effect until you've rebooted

3. There may be an issue with the lack of a /system/sd symlink, which I will look into.

Please provide more information.

1. Is your SD card partitioned.

2. This does not and will not take effect until you've rebooted

3. There may be an issue with the lack of a /system/sd symlink, which I will look into.

Please provide more information.

1. One EXT3 and one FAT32 partition

2. Yes, I am aware of this

3. Yup, i think "Teknologist" posted something about this in your AOSP thread... "searching".

Thanks !

Found it

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1166854

plun@plun-laptop:~/android/tools$ ./adb remount

remount succeeded

plun@plun-laptop:~/android/tools$ ./adb shell mkdir /system/sd

plun@plun-laptop:~/android/tools$ ./adb shell apps2sd on

Enabling apps2sd.

Done. Please reboot.

plun@plun-laptop:~/android/tools$ ./adb reboot

Works !!!!

Guest Bunny0007

Nice rom, but have too many loops..

3 loops today when the phone is rining ad serval when opens programs :S

At this time the rom is tu unstable for me..

Random reboots started to happen when jnwhiteh and lox switched to cyanogen sources and/or switched kernel to resolve the battery issue. It happens to Kagudroid as well.

That reboot issue makes the hero unusable as a work phone unfortunately. I have enough stress like that without having to worry about my phone rebooting when answering that super important phone call...

Anyway, this is still the best eclair rom so far, just not usable now, but I'm sure that will be resolved.

Guest pillock

Guys.... especially Blackfish and jnwhiteh.

Sorry, got up in a crappy mood this morning and it just pained me a bit to see what IMHO is the fastest ROM being slated for being laggy.

You're right, nobody's forcing anybody to use any ROM so I'll wind my neck in. It's a subjective issue, I love it, other people might not and it's not my place to say anything. Blackfish, you did exactly the right thing in uploading a video describing what you meant. I stand by what I said about it being a non-issue but I shouldn't have done it in such an agressive manner.

Big hugs all round, everyone enjoy what's left of your weekend. jnwhiteh, stop enjoying your weekend and get baking v1.1 ;)

Guest jnwhiteh

What is a 'loop'?

Random reboots started to happen when jnwhiteh and lox switched to cyanogen sources and/or switched kernel to resolve the battery issue. It happens to Kagudroid as well.

That reboot issue makes the hero unusable as a work phone unfortunately. I have enough stress like that without having to worry about my phone rebooting when answering that super important phone call...

Anyway, this is still the best eclair rom so far, just not usable now, but I'm sure that will be resolved.

I disagree, and I am quite teh authority on this matter. Random reboots started when we were compiling against portions of the cyanogen source but not the entire thing. I have yet to experience a single random reboot since using this ROM. Again, I'm not calling you a liar, but the random reboots stopped the moment that I starting using Cyanogen's sources.

Guest commodoor

Ok i'm using this ROM for two days and the second day it got faster (don't know why/how) but it looks great now. I have only one issue, i use twitter and don't get notifications I tried seesmic and tweetcaster. I tried everything but no Notifications. someone else having this problem? maybe a solution?

Guest pillock
I have yet to experience a single random reboot since using this ROM. Again, I'm not calling you a liar, but the random reboots stopped the moment that I starting using Cyanogen's sources.

I have to agree with you, I've been playing a lot with this ROM and nothing has caused a reboot. OTOH, CKdroid was rebooting twice a day - nothing bad to say about it, it's a beta after all, but using my phone in the same way caused reboots in that ROM and not this. Ergo I'd consider this to be more stable.

Guest jnwhiteh
Ok i'm using this ROM for two days and the second day it got faster (don't know why/how) but it looks great now. I have only one issue, i use twitter and don't get notifications I tried seesmic and tweetcaster. I tried everything but no Notifications. someone else having this problem? maybe a solution?

Tried rebooting?

I have had issues with no alerts or not getting an alert until i wake the phone had issue with tweetcaster, seesmic, facebook app, bloo, default mail app

Guest commodoor
I have had issues with no alerts or not getting an alert until i wake the phone had issue with tweetcaster, seesmic, facebook app, bloo, default mail app

I'm using Gmail for mails that gives me alerts, the standard alarm also doesn't work, but I'm using klaxon and that works. i even don't get notifications when i wake the phone.

About the battery, it going great but it dropped from 80% to 66% after 6 hours. but have to use it more to get some more info about battery life.

What is a 'loop'?

I disagree, and I am quite teh authority on this matter. Random reboots started when we were compiling against portions of the cyanogen source but not the entire thing. I have yet to experience a single random reboot since using this ROM. Again, I'm not calling you a liar, but the random reboots stopped the moment that I starting using Cyanogen's sources.

I'm sure you know more about your rom than I do ;)

I'm just reporting what happened to me and others, maybe it is just a coincidence.

Please have a look at the Kagu thread at HTCpedia, lots of users experience random reboots.

Like http://htcpedia.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3...p;postcount=267 or http://htcpedia.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3...p;postcount=269

It never happened to me with any of your previous roms so that's why I'm reporting my issue.

Sorry.