'MoDaCo Mobile Week Special - Windows Phone 7 Series' is now live!

Guest PaulOBrien

superetraderlogo.png

Chris and I are proud to present a special episode of the MoDaCo Mobile Week discussing the Windows Phone 7 Series launch!

As with all our shows, this episode is available in standard MP3 format or as an enhanced M4A format with chapters, images and links for use on an iPod or in iTunes - we are currently having issues with the enhanced version upload, this will follow soon. You can get the podcast in the following ways:

Your feedback is really valuable and will tell us whether it is worth our while to continue running the podcasts! Do you listen? What do you like? What do you not like? Please leave your feedback in the comments below, or on the phone in number answerphone (which you can also use for questions for the podcast), or rate us on iTunes!

The phone in number is:

UK: 01379 888 101 NON UK: +44 1379 888 101

You can also leave a voicemail via Skype by calling:

skype user "modaco"

Or post back on the official topic here!

Enjoy! :D

You can listen to the show here:

Link for enclosure purposes: http://angel.modaco.com/podcast/mmw-wp7s.mp3

The product is "just announced" and already you are ripping it apart and asking what OEM manufacturers can do to enhance or differentiate themselves. Surely this just re-affirms that Microsoft are playing catch up here. They would be better withdrawing totally from the mobile arena (not trying to confuse the choices for the consumer) as they are obviously so far behind the customers expectation!!!!.

Where does this all leave business users???? - Out in the cold. As long as the consumer market is satisfied(or maybe misled). Lets not forget where pockrt pc originated!!!!

The product is "just announced" and already you are ripping it apart and asking what OEM manufacturers can do to enhance or differentiate themselves. Surely this just re-affirms that Microsoft are playing catch up here. They would be better withdrawing totally from the mobile arena (not trying to confuse the choices for the consumer) as they are obviously so far behind the customers expectation!!!!.

I wouldn't say we're ripping it apart, we're just discussing the potential for OEM differentiation. Not the same thing.

You clearly have a very negative view, but I think on the whole we are very excited by WP7S in the 'cast!

P

Where does this all leave business users???? - Out in the cold. As long as the consumer market is satisfied(or maybe misled). Lets not forget where pockrt pc originated!!!!

Why? What makes you think WP7S won't be a good business tool?

P

Guest deadphill
Why? What makes you think WP7S won't be a good business tool?

P

What do business users actually use? I mean there is IE, Outlook and an office suite on there. Surely that is enough?

I suppose the problem is that any legacy bespoke business programs will need to be re-written which wont be very popular. However the overwhelming need to refresh the os makes this a bit more paletable!

Cheers

Phill

Guest deadphill
Works fine from the HTC RSS reader -- perhaps a change of phone is in order? :D

Nope! Certainly not yet anyway! Probably not after as well

I LURVE my iPhone! However for a work mobile, I'm willing to listen.

Cheers

Phill

Guest corpisa
What do business users actually use? I mean there is IE, Outlook and an office suite on there. Surely that is enough?

I suppose the problem is that any legacy bespoke business programs will need to be re-written which wont be very popular. However the overwhelming need to refresh the os makes this a bit more paletable!

Cheers

Phill

everyone wanted a big chance from MS and when we finally get one now everyone wants old programs to be compatible :D Not me, I really don´t care if even my favorite applications cannot be used with wm7, it´s time for everyone who still wants to use wm to change completly so I´m looking forward to its release..

saludos,

From what we know so far it sounds like its not possible to install this on older hardware as we have been able to do with 6.0, 6.1 etc. My TyTN II is likely to be far too old and off the mark etc, but what about Touch HD? A newish phone with good spec. If that can't be upgraded, its gonna kill the sales of recent WinMo devices dead unless they secretly implemented the MS chassis or by luck, comply with it.

Another point, with apps not being likely to work on WP7S, MS have got to hope and prey that developers will create a decent number of apps for launch. Will developers be happy to develop for IPhone, Android, WM6.n, possibly maemo and WP7S too? Will Google develop googlemaps etc for it?

As we all know, the Iphone is only as successful as its app store. A phone with no or few apps isn't going to do well - have concerns that N900 may suffer because of this, but at least it is very flexible being based on linux.

Will the new WP7S OS be restrictive? Will you only be able to install through an app store? One of the key features of WM for me, is its flexibilty. I can source and install my own cabs if I wish. People like those on here or XDA developers can fiddle with the cabs to customise them etc.

In a nutshell, if they tie it down to only install apps from a store, implement other restrictions that were not previously there, why would anyone choose this over the Iphone which has a vast collection of apps established already (ok, maybe multitasking*)?

Personally, I'm looking to change my device this year after nearly 3 years of faithful service of my TyTN II and am favouring Android at the moment. What I have seen so far, isn't changing my mind.

* What is meant by not multitasking in context of the iphone? As a software developer, I would take this as only running one process at a time. Can the IPhone not run, say a chat client & skype at the same time and recieve a message or call if that app was not currently visable? Surely not as that would be a serious deal breaker in anyones book!

Edited by 8eaker

• 2 weeks later...
Nope! Certainly not yet anyway! Probably not after as well

I LURVE my iPhone! However for a work mobile, I'm willing to listen.

Cheers

Phill

I was joking of course. I'd like to give an iPhone a go for a few months to see what the fuss is about. Certainly a play in the O2 store didn't impress me at all, but there must be something special about the shiny slab to get so many people all in a tizzy.

My opinion of the Windows Phone 7 interface from what I saw (particularly the homescreen) was summed up in a few words by a user on another forum "It looks like a page full of flash adverts".

Everything tile on the homescreen was animated, with contact photos popping up and down, the XBox live avatar moving in and out, etc. How am I supposed to see when useful new information appears there (e.g. a new incoming SMS) when all the tiles on the screen are constantly distracting my attention?

Edited by argh

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.