OMNIA Pro 7610 micro SD card problem!!!!!!!!!

Guest passion_streak

Guest Night234

IF flashing really helps i would like some feedback from everyone who had the problem and got rid of it by flashing.

But everybody should be made aware that flashing will void your warranty.

Guest new2city

Hey guys,

It's been almost a month since I had this problem and it popped up on Easter. The only thing that I remember I did different this time was, I left TCPMP open with a file on my SD card and went it finished, my B7610 went into standby(while I went to sleep). Then the next morning(Easter), I notice that my SD card is displaying all the funny characters(folders and files) again. I could only get it all back when I did a soft reset..

I am on Daskalos 6.5 ROM..

Guest Trekman168
Hey guys,

It's been almost a month since I had this problem and it popped up on Easter. The only thing that I remember I did different this time was, I left TCPMP open with a file on my SD card and went it finished, my B7610 went into standby(while I went to sleep). Then the next morning(Easter), I notice that my SD card is displaying all the funny characters(folders and files) again. I could only get it all back when I did a soft reset..

I am on Daskalos 6.5 ROM..

Hi, have you tried bring it to samsung service center?

Guest new2city
Hi, have you tried bring it to samsung service center?

Nope, I bought mine in singapore, I live in Malaysia. Anyone got this problem solved at a service centre?

Guest passion_streak

No service centre cant solve this porblem ,coz i took my phone to service centre 2-3 times. First time they told me the software is buggy ,so they updated but the problem wasnt solved , I visited them again with the same problem there i talked to a senior customer care manager & head engineer they told me that maximum they can do is that they could change the motherboard of the phone .. I was like WTF DUDE , i bought it 2 months ago ....

Guest new2city

I just saw this happen with my own eyes! I brought my phone out of standby and saw total commander displaying one of my folders in my storage card, all is fine. The moment I move to the root of the storage card, all the folders instantly turn into weird characters. All I could do was to do a soft reset and I can see the contents of the storage card back to normal again.. Thankfully..

I cannot confirm it, but I still think the chances of data corruption is higher if we were to leave our phone go into standby while it is still accessing a file in the storage card... just my two cents..

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Yes this issue is present in original 6.1 roms of Omnia B7610. To stay away from it, follow these rules :

1. Format your memory card from inside the phone, not using Windows on PC. You can do this by going to Samsung's skinned settings>Memory Settings> Storage Card and clicking Format button. It seems like samsung has done some amendments to the structure of FAT32 file system. I guess due to this fact, the filesystem is accessed using PocketFS.SYS.

2. If connected in Mass Storage mode, always unplug your phone from PC after using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in system tray.

3. Set your phone to not turn itself off when its on external power. To do so, go to Samsung skinned settings>General Settings>Power>External Power. Here set the "Turn Off Device" setting to "Always turn on".

Cheers!

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest passion_streak
Yes this issue is present in original 6.1 roms of Omnia B7610. To stay away from it, follow these rules :

1. Format your memory card from inside the phone, not using Windows on PC. You can do this by going to Samsung's skinned settings>Memory Settings> Storage Card and clicking Format button. It seems like samsung has done some amendments to the structure of FAT32 file system. I guess due to this fact, the filesystem is accessed using PocketFS.SYS.

2. If connected in Mass Storage mode, always unplug your phone from PC after using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in system tray.

3. Set your phone to not turn itself off when its on external power. To do so, go to Samsung skinned settings>General Settings>Power>External Power. Here set the "Turn Off Device" setting to "Always turn on".

Cheers!

I really doubt ..that this is going to work ..

Edited by passion_streak

Guest Trekman168

Hi, I don't know if this would help. But i'm thinking that our phone automatically encrpypts out files from the storage card. I'm using windows mobile 6.5 and it has an option to encrypt files on the storage card, so it's very possible that it does it automatic sometimes. so what i want to know is if there is a file or way to permanently disable the encryption option?

Guest sumeshf

I purchased an 8GB Samsung Plus Class6 card. After using it for almost a month, I am yet to see this issue. I had the issue with my stock Sandisk 2GB and Kingston 8GB Class6 cards.

One thing I noticed, The card performs faster than my earlier cards. Dont know how it compares with Sandisk Class6.

Guest asbud
nevermind this post.. after 22 day with vgen.. got the missing folder problem again.. damn..

this date is 14 March 2010.. its been 1 month since the problem appear.. only that once.. never have it again.. i think the problem is solved with v-gen SD card

Guest joe_9999

hi folks i don't think there's anyway to resolve this issue in 6.1 coz i visited the area sales manager yesterday and he said this is a fault in os and can be resolved by updating it to 6.5 an official 6.5 rom is to released soon by samsung and microsoft

Guest joe_9999

yes passion_streak ur right and even i tried it but the issue is that samsung service centre won't except our cellphone if it has any other os than the original 6.1 rom and back up and flashing all the time also becomes tidious and not feasable

Guest passion_streak

well even if they accept it, they wont do anything ..... & u have to back up & flash a new os just once not ALL THE TIME ;) .Its quite easy i guess not TEDIOUS

Edited by passion_streak

Guest joe_9999

spell check is duly noted

and i was referring to a scenario where one had a problem in device hardware or buttons which needs to replaced under warranty.

Guest passion_streak
well even if they accept it, they wont do anything ..... & u have to back up & flash a new os just once not ALL THE TIME ;) .Its quite easy i guess not TEDIOUS

Well i said u have to..................."""BACK UP"""................& then FLASH A NEW ROM ......

Edited by passion_streak

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bnwgraaf

Anyone any possible solution?

I myselve have also the same problems: disappearing folders or unreadable data....

I have the same problems with 2 Sandisk 8GB cards.

Guest sumeshf
I purchased an 8GB Samsung Plus Class6 card. After using it for almost a month, I am yet to see this issue. I had the issue with my stock Sandisk 2GB and Kingston 8GB Class6 cards.

One thing I noticed, The card performs faster than my earlier cards. Dont know how it compares with Sandisk Class6.

After two months of moderate to heavy usage, I am yet to see the issue with my Samsung Plus Class6 card. I believe Samsung Phone <> Samsung Card combination has resolved the issue.

Anybody else wants try this card, you can buy it from here mymemory.co.uk. They provide free shipping

mymemory.co.uk