StreetMap for SPV

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]
Streetmap.co.uk do actually provide a mapping *application* for the SPV

called Pocket Streetmap. This program will download maps from the internet, using GPRS, and will store these locally on the device so that repeated visits and web connections are not necessary, eg try looking at a map when traveliing underground by tube :-)

The program can happily use any type of net connection, eg cradle to PC etc, so that larger areas of map data, eg city, can be downloaded where the cost of connection is not an issue. Maps can be stored both on the device memory and the data card.

Optionally, the program can use GPS receivers to track current position and provide other facilities related to position.

The program is currently is restricted beta (preparing for certification). Samples of the European map data ( London Soho ) can be seen by pointing the SPV internet web browser athttp://www.streetmap.co.uk/smarthpone/sample.gif

Cool!

P

Guest thecenter

Just spoke to streetmap. Their software should be available in a few weeks for around £30 ish (for the full monty version) and a zoom will be available. They also talked about a GPS navigation addon for the phone and that various people are currently in the development stages for GPS hardware. exciting

You also need to remember to untick the "Fit to Screen" option otherwise it's a bit pants!

I presume this doesn't override the HTML height and width attributes, so it could be set to not shrink it if this was an image in a web age, rather than an actual gif?

Barry

Guest Rob_Quads

Funny you should mention the GPS add-on as that is one of the thing I have in the wish list - I thought a SD card that gave a USB plug as you can get USB GPS recievers for pennies now a days.

Funny you should mention the GPS add-on as that is one of the thing I have in the wish list - I thought a SD card that gave a USB plug as you can get USB GPS recievers for pennies now a days.

Mmmm ... and a little software connection to your SMS editor (bi-directional) so that you can paste your position - wonderful when e.g. notifying emergency services or trying to find another user, or display the position that someone has messaged to you ... how's that?

I was looking for my daughter on the Leeds festival site, we had a GPS each and it worked OK on voice, but could be so much easier.

And there are SMS receivers with SD card connectors around. Will somebody write the software ... please ...

Wlodek

Guest deiwise

I dread to think of the battery-drain a GPS addon would cause to the already "average" battery life on the SPV.

My brother's Navman attached to his IPaq wastes the battery away. But GPS & Mobiles really should be a happy marriage.

Will

It works for France.. I can see my street !

Too bad http://www.viamichelin.com does not provide a PDA/SPV version of their site because you can find driving directions (street level).

If you try it with your SPV, you can't click on "OK" (it's a image button), so you can't use it.

They have an Imode version though.

It works for France.. I can see my street !

Too bad http://www.viamichelin.com does not provide a PDA/SPV version of their site because you can find driving directions (street level).

If you try it with your SPV, you can't click on "OK" (it's a image button), so you can't use it.

They have an Imode version though.

Guest Danlance

Had a look at mapquest and multimap:

Mapquest: :(

www.mapquest.com/pda/maps.adp

Form well dimensioned for SPV screen

Seems fairly slow to load (considering size etc)

Maps almost useless - hard to zoom to right place, and not enough detail on screen at once...

Multimap: :D

http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?client=light

Form awkward to use - better dimensioned for conventional pda rather than smartphone.

Seems much quicker to load (useable over GSM connection) esp considering the maps are 6 times the size:

But the clincher: The map is full OS - at a useable size (500*310) - and shows enough detail to navigate by.

street maps are clearly ledgible with names - and you can zoom on a particular location using crosshairs reasonably quickly...

I managed to enter my home post code - get a street map of my locality - zoom out to 1:50,000, then zoom back in on where I work ~ 3 miles away within 3 minutes... (and thats GSM not GPRS)

Paul - what do you think to a separate section for useful site reviews - maybe using separate topics for different types of site...

• 10 months later...
Guest Maverick
yeah   it works in bournemouth too    found my house

Congrats.. u woke up a thread that was sleeping for almost exactly 11 months :lol: ..

BTW.. Did it take that long to find ur house? :wink:

• 1 month later...