14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

can i do that whit the terminal emulator? im not sure what you mean whit the busybox, im really more then new on the linux.. hehehehe but im writing right now from the live cd.. :P

busybox df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

[bIG CUT]

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 457.0M 9.9M 422.7M 2% /system/sd

Type that in your adb shell :huh:

Guest Bakk15

Hello.

i'va trouble with this step :

Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.

I have the red triangle over device.

I plugged it on linux ubuntu, i launched the linux.sh as 'launch' or 'launch in terminal' nothing happened for both.

I plugged it on mac os x computer, netbeans is launched, when i select terminal, i have issue : "no such files etc...."

what should i do ?

Guest jackdaniels_lee

RADIO UPDATE...

All was well, rooted >> Apps to SD.. then I flashed the radio... Network locked, not a sim/puk issue..

Any more radios kicking about? can the prev be extracted from an RUU?

HEEELLLP

Cheers

Edited by jackdaniels_lee

Guest caister
Your phone would always have been network locked no?

P

Hi Paul,

I'm also with Orange and since installing the new radio my phone has now applied a simlock for the orange sim card stating 'network locked'

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the great work

Aaron

Guest waterc00l
Thanks. Just used your guide and my apps are going to the SD card. :huh: But my system memory still decreases by the same amount as the installed app?

same here. but the apps are installed @ sd for sure. i downloaded 7 apps in a row without any delay :P thats fun hehe

Guest slaguru
Hello.

i'va trouble with this step :

Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.

I have the red triangle over device.

I plugged it on linux ubuntu, i launched the linux.sh as 'launch' or 'launch in terminal' nothing happened for both.

I plugged it on mac os x computer, netbeans is launched, when i select terminal, i have issue : "no such files etc...."

what should i do ?

On OSX try opening the terminal at the pushfiles dir, and run the script one line at a time. It has the same effect and as long as you are in the right dir you will be ok.

Guest jackdaniels_lee
Your phone would always have been network locked no?

P

It was an orange handset with an orange sim, the new radio has set the network lock (tried several orange sims) seems the radio is not "open to all networks".

any suggestions Paul? :huh:

Guest RODNiC
It appears that you haven't put the pushfiles folder anywhere

Put the pushfiles folder in the user folder (the one with pictures, music etc), open up terminal and use these commands:

cd pushfiles

./adb-linux kill-server

sudo ./adb-linux start-server

sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA.. FInally someone who did explain it all!!!

I was putting everything on the Desktop :huh:

Thanks!!!

Guest Bakk15
On OSX try opening the terminal at the pushfiles dir, and run the script one line at a time. It has the same effect and as long as you are in the right dir you will be ok.

thank you so much. it worked perfectly :huh:

Guest twistywizard
i used the partition option from the recovery menu für ext3/ext4, is that ok? Now my phone is in a constat reboot :huh: have i done anything wrong?

I am afraid I am cannot answer that one. I just let the option do its thing for ext2/fat

Guest twistywizard

To help some with App2SD to see if it is working. I used the link below

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Operating-Sy...2AA552D883F9018

Connect your handset to the PC. Make sure you have adb in the tools folder for the Android SDK. Fire up a command prompt. Get to the tools directory and then follow the above.May be an easier way but this worked a treat for me :huh:

Guest timking

Getting really annoyed right now...for some reason I can't even get the phone seen as a device when running 'adb devices' from the command prompt (showing as no devices found). Run through step by step using these instructions and the ones on theunlockr site too. No joy. Winding me up a treat as I can connect as mass storage fine, but can't even sync etc through HTC Sync (tried latest version off the web site and 2.0.28). Everytime I connect and select HTC Sync on the phone, Vista comes up with My HTC as failed but all others are listed as installed fine?

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by timking

Guest David_P

Hi there, am a noob to Android but used to flash various other XDA's over the years. I am prepping ready to maybe root my Desire come the weekend but at step 1 I am having a challenge.....

Why do I get sent to the main Modaco screen when I click any of the 3 download links or the mirror links??

David

Edited by David_P

Guest hassand

guys im very new to this so i have some questions which might come as very simple to you but i could not find the answer to yet:(

1- i have a never locked sim-free phone from htc, do i need the goldcard anyway? i believe i have the generic rom on it

2- after i root it somehow can i go back to the original state of the phone i mean the fresh out of factory state, as it out of the box (if yes, please simply tell me how in a couple of steps)

3- if something goes wrong during the rooting process is it possible to go back to the fresh out of the box state(again if yes, please briefly explain)

4- i have jailbroken a couple of iphones or installed custom firmwares to psp's before but rooting an android device is a first for me, so please forgive me for the silly questions, i just couldnt find answers to these anywhere and if something goes wrong during the rooting process as in if i fail with something in ubuntu or something i want to know what can be done to restart the process.

Guest bcmobile
I think il wait for the Ubuntu VM from bcmobile.

Cheers paul and bcmobile

Will hope to have one ready tonight some time (GMT+10)

Edit: This thread is out of control :huh: Just woke up and was still on pg2.... now 18 pages

Edited by bcmobile

Guest twistywizard
Getting really annoyed right now...for some reason I can't even get the phone seen as a device when running 'adb devices' from the command prompt (showing as no devices found). Run through step by step using these instructions and the ones on theunlockr site too. No joy. Winding me up a treat as I can connect as mass storage fine, but can't even sync etc through HTC Sync (tried latest version off the web site and 2.0.28). Everytime I connect and select HTC Sync on the phone, Vista comes up with My HTC as failed but all others are listed as installed fine?

Anyone got any ideas?

I would go into Control Panel and settings and Device Manager. See if it is listed with an exception there.

Perhaps try manually installing the driver from there from the link below.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

The reason why adb does not work I expect is because the device is not installed correctly under Vista!

guys im very new to this so i have some questions which might come as very simple to you but i could not find the answer to yet:(

1- i have a never locked sim-free phone from htc, do i need the goldcard anyway? i believe i have the generic rom on it

2- after i root it somehow can i go back to the original state of the phone i mean the fresh out of factory state, as it out of the box (if yes, please simply tell me how in a couple of steps)

3- if something goes wrong during the rooting process is it possible to go back to the fresh out of the box state(again if yes, please briefly explain)

4- i have jailbroken a couple of iphones or installed custom firmwares to psp's before but rooting an android device is a first for me, so please forgive me for the silly questions, i just couldnt find answers to these anywhere and if something goes wrong during the rooting process as in if i fail with something in ubuntu or something i want to know what can be done to restart the process.

1. Yes, you need a goldcard, else the custom recovery wont be able to flash the rooted update.

2. Yes, paul is working on this.

3. Depends, just dont turn off your pc, phone or disconnect both during the flashing and you'll be fine :P

4. Don't worry too much. Just research what you have to do, and you really gotta mess it up BIGtime to brick your device :huh:

Guest timking
I would go into Control Panel and settings and Device Manager. See if it is listed with an exception there.

Perhaps try manually installing the driver from there from the link below.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

The reason why adb does not work I expect is because the device is not installed correctly under Vista!

Yeah it's been showing as an exception in Device Manager, but whenever I re-point it to the HTC drive files under Program Files ithas the right ones. Removed, re-installed, rebooted numerous times but to no avail. Have done USBDeview too, removed, re-connected etc. Still no joy. Currently scouring xda-devs also. Why is it always the easy step that trips me up?! :huh:

Guest salahag

Finally got passed the red triangle screen ...

I unplugged the phone after selecting the "rootedupdate.zip"... was that a terrible mistake? :huh:

It's now stuck on the Verifying update package... how long should that take? :P

Guest zoltar99

Hey Paul, just rooted my Desire, thank you very much for this, you are great!

Installed Apps2sd, did the checks and it seems apps are being installed on sd card.

However, after installing Google Earth and Google Maps, I rechecked storage and it seems that phone storage has gone down 20MB as well, and SD card lost 13MB. Is this normal? Also, would be great if someone could explain better what it is with partitioning the SD card. I made my partition 2.5GB, the swap partition 1.5GB and left the rest up t 8GB as FAT32. However I can only see one SD card partition in Astro. What happened to the rest?

Finally got passed the red triangle screen ...

I unplugged the phone after selecting the "rootedupdate.zip"... was that a terrible mistake? :huh:

It's now stuck on the Verifying update package... how long should that take? :P

quite some time, but i dont think it's flashed anything by then. I'd reboot. but..WHY IN GODSNAME WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT :|

Guest Bakk15

I have done the A2SD update ( wth .sh method )

the arabic font too.

i can't acces to the market

the error message is in french but it sounds like this :

Sorry !

Sudde close of application Android market ( from process com.android.vending ) thank to try again

any idea ?

edit : same thing when i want to go to check my photos taken by the camera ( i paste my save of my sdcard 'before the goldcard' )

Edited by Bakk15

Guest radshag

I was wondering if someone came across an issue like this:

This happens after updating with the hebrew font zip

go to clock. go to alarms and add an alarm set to 08:00

the last 0 is displayed weird on a new line. I am guessing this is something with the font.

Thanks,

Radshag