14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MrBadgerMilk
Are you extracting ALL the files from the archive pushfiles.zip ?? Instead of just opening the archive and running recovery-linux.sh ??

You need to extract everything to a folder, open a Terminal, and then run the commands from within gnome-terminal (Accessories -> Terminal), and do it from the folder which everything is extracted from

ie

cd pushfiles

sudo ./adb-linux kill-server

sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

done

As I am a major linux n00b, I would like to thank you, sir. I was stressing myself out trying to make this work.

As soon as I done this, voila! Working :huh:

Cheers!!! :P

Guest mrshark
Hey Paul, just rooted my Desire, thank you very much for this, you are great!

Installed Apps2sd, did the checks and it seems apps are being installed on sd card.

However, after installing Google Earth and Google Maps, I rechecked storage and it seems that phone storage has gone down 20MB as well, and SD card lost 13MB. Is this normal? Also, would be great if someone could explain better what it is with partitioning the SD card. I made my partition 2.5GB, the swap partition 1.5GB and left the rest up t 8GB as FAT32. However I can only see one SD card partition in Astro. What happened to the rest?

1.5gb swap? wasted space! standard desire has 0.5gb TOTAL, and will NEVER use such an abnormal space (swap is an extension for memory, i don't thing you start as many apps to need to... swap...)...

also, make the app2sd data partition ext2 or 3, which is retro-compatible with 2: you could mount an ext3 fs even if you have no drivers for it, just mount it as ext2 and go... only difference is that ext3 has journals (google it), and you loose them if mounted as ext2, but all data are still there...

do NOT use ext4, is a different beast! And if drivers for it are not compiled in kernel, desire will not mount it, and reboot forever...

at the end, the only partition astro will see il the fat32 one, as so it was when you had the original sd... the other are for system, they where hidden before, because part of the internal filesystem, and they continue to remain hidden, as mounted as addon filesystem, but always for the INTERNAL filesystem...

p.s.: i'm trying to help others, for the little i can... i someone could answer my questions, i'll be happy... paul bypassed them 2 times... :huh:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1254874

For all you guys with the simlock issue.....

using the "goldcard method" flash the below RRU, you will have to re-root but it should solve the issue

:huh:

http://androidfiledepot.com/Storage/Desire...ease_121865.exe

Edit: my bad.. link fixed

Hey.

Thanks so much for the help. Flashed that RUU after recreating my gold card and all is well now.

So starting again to root but no radio this time :-)

Thanks Paul for all the awesome work you have done. You are a legend.

Guest squrl

I also had some problems with the Linux part, but thanks to Google I sorted everything out eventually.

These should be all the commands you need:

cd - like in MSDOS, changes the directory

ls - list directory contents

and if you have problems running the sh script, try sudo sh ./recovery-linux.sh #Run it

So now I'm rooted, w00t!

Thanks Paul, you're a f'n genius!

Now to sign up for MoDaCo Ad Free :huh:

Guest AndyCr15
fixed the link and i can now confirm it works... phew, issue solved, rooting should be a bit easier this time :P

These things are sent to try us..

EDIT: Pauls Test RUU may do the job as it includes a radio image... :huh:

@paulobrien please update/put a flag on the radio in the 1st post.. dude... you are awsome

I'm getting -

ERROR 131: CUSTOMER ID ERROR

The ROM Update Utility cannont update your Android phone.

Please get the correct ROM update Utility and try again.

I'll try with the test ruu...

**EDIT** I Get the same thing trying to testruu.exe

Any ideas?

**EDIT** Okay, my apologies, I thought I was using my Goldcard, and it would appear I wasn't... rookie mistake!

Edited by AndyCr15

Guest caister
Hey.

Thanks so much for the help. Flashed that RUU after recreating my gold card and all is well now.

So starting again to root but no radio this time :-)

Thanks Paul for all the awesome work you have done. You are a legend.

This didn't work for me I got a customer ID error

Guest aherbjornsen
I have a "Nordic" phone.

First: Can I do the root?

With the ROM provided in first post, will it make any difference else then the root access?

Like do I loose Norwegian char "æøå"? Or loose anything else?

I've successfully rooted a Norwegian phone, sold by and locked to Telenor.

After flashing Paul's ROM it came up with a selection of Scandinavian languages just like it did out of the box. No noticeable differences, I did not lose any localization at all.

The only odd thing is that original ROM in my phone was actually one revision higher than the ROM Paul included, making it a "downgrade" which I believe caused an extra warning message while flashing.

Guest zoltar99
1.5gb swap? wasted space! standard desire has 0.5gb TOTAL, and will NEVER use such an abnormal space (swap is an extension for memory, i don't thing you start as many apps to need to... swap...)...

also, make the app2sd data partition ext2 or 3, which is retro-compatible with 2: you could mount an ext3 fs even if you have no drivers for it, just mount it as ext2 and go... only difference is that ext3 has journals (google it), and you loose them if mounted as ext2, but all data are still there...

do NOT use ext4, is a different beast! And if drivers for it are not compiled in kernel, desire will not mount it, and reboot forever...

at the end, the only partition astro will see il the fat32 one, as so it was when you had the original sd... the other are for system, they where hidden before, because part of the internal filesystem, and they continue to remain hidden, as mounted as addon filesystem, but always for the INTERNAL filesystem...

p.s.: i'm trying to help others, for the little i can... i someone could answer my questions, i'll be happy... paul bypassed them 2 times... :P

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1254874

Hey mrshark, thanks a lot for your explanations, I am going to reformat my sd card when i get home in the afternoon. I couldn't find any info anywhere, so I just thought I should leave the partitions big enough for whatever might be needed. Never mind, we learn something new every day :huh:

Guest waterc00l

everything works great, even i had no idea about linux before. Just stay calm and read the instructions / google around.

I think i have one last question:

I did a 512 MB ext2 partition, works great, but now i'd like to have 1 GB instead. Is there a way to extend this partition without loosing all my data @ sd? cause i have installed some apps already.

I have no linux computer here, only windows and osx.

Guest bowli
everything works great, even i had no idea about linux before. Just stay calm and read the instructions / google around.

I did a 512 MB ext2 partition, works great, but now i'd like to have 1 GB instead. Is there a way to extend this partition without loosing all my data @ sd? cause i have installed some apps already.

I think there is no way to extend partition.

You must partition it again.

Guest tocophonic
Tether, adfree android et al don't need system write access. In fact, nothing does.

This ROM includes Sense of course.

If you can get hold of a standard RUU for your operator, you can flash back to stock, if not you can easily flash back to generic stock.

P

How can you "easily flash back to generic stock" ROM? You mentioned that currently the devices ROM is not backup-able, so where should one get the stock ROM?

ty in advance!

toco

Guest waterc00l
I think there is no way to extend partition.

You must partition it again.

thanks, so i have to apply apps2d again afterwards i think?

You think 512 mb is enough? Is my first android phone so no idea how many and how big the apps are one needs in daily business :huh:

Guest cobalt78

You can under linux using gparted. I am not windows expert

Guest viskas
Tether, adfree android et al don't need system write access. In fact, nothing does.

This ROM includes Sense of course.

If you can get hold of a standard RUU for your operator, you can flash back to stock, if not you can easily flash back to generic stock.

P

paul, just to make sure, sorry if I ask again.

rooting the device with your method, does wireless tether work?!?

I desperately need it to use my iPad on the move!!!

thank you for your great job!!!

Guest tonemgub

now, now is time that i buy an HTC Desire. yesterday: if Desire is rooted i will to buy it! Today: ho, today is not christmas??? :huh:

Its now possible to add the HID profile???

Are on the root ascess ssecret configs to enable it?

Or its needed this any devolper to add it in a custom firmware?

Then its possible to use with the software like blueinput use an keyboard.

i can type faster with an keyboard, i need it for the internet (not SMS or organize contacts, lol).

And google know the problem since Oct 30, 2008, but there doing nothing.

see here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1147

I think: Google is not everythink a friend. I hope any devolpers will take the source and make a fork like "android Plus"!

Guest rveupen

I just rooted my device.

As someone already said...stay calm and read the instructions.

Rooted mine in one go.

I still have to install A2SD...that's why I wanted to root it.

Paul...you are truely great.

Do have a question about the new radio. I live in the Netherlands and use KPn as provider.

Would applying the Radio rom simlock the phone?

My device is not KPN branden like Vodafone or T-Mobile do it.

And what is Wireless Tether?

Thx again for your hard work.

Edited by rveupen

Guest mrshark

as many already rooted, and no one else is saying this, even if asked many many times: which languages are included in the rom???

rveupen: wireless tether is on post just above your's...

Edited by mrshark

Guest rveupen
as many already rooted, and no one else is saying this, even if asked many many times: which languages are included in the rom???

rveupen: wireless tether is on post just above your's...

The post above mine is the apk download...it does not explain what Wireless Tether is.

Under Locale is see Nederlands, English, Francais and Deutsch