14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lanxton

When you root an HBOOT 0.80 device, does it change the ROM version like it does when we root a HBOOT 0.75 device?

Guest StuMcBill

Ok, maybe I am doing this wrong? If I look at my software version on the phone, it shows 'test keys' I assume this means I have the correct test RUU installed?

Do I actually press the power button on recovery, or should I just highlight it and then do step 2?

Guest Dynanik

Does anybody know if A2SD works with HBoot 8.0?

My Desire (8.0 O2 device) don't boot after installing a2sd!!!

Only the HTC Logo...without "quietly brilliant".... :-(

@ DinoCro

You have to create a EXT3 partition first! Actually there is no EXT3 Part to wipe on your Device :-)

Edited by Dynanik

Guest waterc00l
Ok, maybe I am doing this wrong? If I look at my software version on the phone, it shows 'test keys' I assume this means I have the correct test RUU installed?

Do I actually press the power button on recovery, or should I just highlight it and then do step 2?

Push it! :-) then step 2

Guest StuMcBill
Push it! :-) then step 2

When I push it, I get the Red Exclamation mark beside the picture of the desire (is this correct?), and when I run step 2, it errors out and never gets to recovery mode?

I am returning to stock just now and maybe going to try again, possibly using TinyCoreLinux, does anyone still have a guide? Or do you just type the same as the new Linux instructions?

Guest DinoCro
@ DinoCro

You have to create a EXT3 partition first! Actually there is no EXT3 Part to wipe on your Device :-)

That would explain adb being unable to wipe it entering shell command. So, do I have to do ext wipe at all? If yes, how can I create ext partition?

Thank you very much, Dyanik!

Guest florifliegt1
Only the HTC Logo...without "quietly brilliant".... :-(

oh no, nope this will fixed, i need the "quietly brilliant", i like it!

Guest StuMcBill

Ok, I have it running through TinyCoreLinux, but it has been pushing the update file to the sdcard for about 25 mins!

Should I just leave it a bit longer or pull the battery and try again?

Stewart

Guest Dynanik
oh no, nope this will fixed, i need the "quietly brilliant", i like it!

No No...My Desire don't start....The HTC Logo does not vanish =(

(sry 4 my bad english)

@ DinoCro

You can create a partition with the Recovery Mode! So you don't have to remove the SD out of your device!

Go in the Recovery Mode an wath for "Partition"...first create one...then switch vom Ext2 to Ext3.

Edited by Dynanik

Guest StuMcBill
No No...My Desire don't start....The HTC Logo does not vanish =(

(sry 4 my bad english)

@ DinoCro

You can create a partition with the Recovery Mode! So you don't have to remove the SD out of your device!

Go in the Recovery Mode an wath for "Partition"...first create one...then switch vom Ext2 to Ext3.

Well I have given up, for the time being.

When I tried to restart my phone, it just stayed on the HTC Screen too, I had to boot into the FASTBOOT screen and then follow this guide (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307683/howto-unroot-your-htc-desire/)

Now working fine!

Stewart

Guest Dynanik
WILL NOT Work If You Have A 0.80 Bootloader

:-(

so what else can I do???

It seems to be impossible for me to combinate the rootupdate whit A2SD...every time the same bug! Only the HTC Logo...i have to put out the battery for reboot! Totally crashed!!!

Edited by Dynanik

Guest TechZombie

After I think the rooting was ok ... i recorgnized that all my htc widgets are gone ... weather, and so on .... (I have a o2 desire bootloader 0.80) ... can anyone help me?

Guest 42turkeys
:-(

so what else can I do???

It seems to be impossible for me to combinate the rootupdate whit A2SD...every time the same bug! Only the HTC Logo...i have to put out the battery for reboot! Totally crashed!!!

Will update the unroot guide soon to work but for now just replace the download on there to the HTC Asia one as I think that is a 0.80 ROM. You can find it on the 'stock roms' thread.

Guest yonisan

Hi,

I have a big issue while using the root (r3) method.

I have:

Bravo Unknown ship s-on

Hboot-0.75.0000

MICROP-031d

Touch panel-synt0101

radio-4.05.00.11

Mar 5 2010,21:12:15

I started with step1, which ended ok.

the device went into the green recovery menu, where I selected WIPE and then something else (I believe the SD:ext, however the optical wheel was skippy at that stage and maybe something else was selected).

Step2 is not working. I get error msges saying device not found.

after normal booting, the OS come on but now my SIM & SD card dont work no more. (SD card is always unmounted and SIM with no authorization for the network).

I cant push files to the SD, as it is not recognized in OS or Bootloader.

While in Bootloader, Windows recognizes the device as "My HTC"

While device is in normal OS mode, Windows ecognizes the device as Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM and looks for drivers

Tried to use the UNROOT procedure, which ended successfully but with no change to the device.

Have I lost my new device ?

I have looked everywhere for an answer.

Please HELP!!!!

Guest cschmitz
Have I lost my new device ?

I have looked everywhere for an answer.

Please HELP!!!!

it appears like a driver issue, you either endure tormenting windows confusion or just use a live linux and be happy.

Guest lanxton

It appears the rooting directions on the first page have vague instructions about which "wipes" to perform. Can anyone be more specific? I know you do not want to do a "sdcard + ext" wipe if you do not even have a ext partition. What are the minimum wipes required with a new phone and am empty sdcard?

Edited by lanxton

Guest starchildx

now i have root.

i made a really big and stupid mistake :P.

i tried to root my 0.80 desire with the 0.75 pack.

ok, i made step 1 in windows 7 x64, everything works perfect.

step2 didnt work, device wasn't found.

i booted into ubuntu and made step2 there.

erverything worked perfect.

i didnt wipe ext on sd because i dont have a ext partition.

Guest yonisan
it appears like a driver issue, you either endure tormenting windows confusion or just use a live linux and be happy.

r3 of the root guide is the tinyCore Linux version.

I have also tried using r4 with Ubuntu 9.04 with same results (cant run step2 = error: cant find device).

I am at loss. :P

Maybe there is a way to push the additional files from step2 into the internal RAM instead.........

Edited by yonisan

Guest DinoCro

OK, thank you everyone for your help - I think i made it!

It took me a few tries, but I hope it was worth it. Everything seems to be in order, I will now try to install apps2sd and will report back. Didn't wipe ext because I don't have one (thanx Dynanik). BTW, I did the process on Win 7 x32 edition. Be sure to install newest HTC Sync for desire as it gets you the drivers you need for adb to recognize your Desire.

And finally, thank you Paul for your guide!

Guest potter97

For all on 0.75............

The best methord is to use a linux machine, Windblows always gives me an error after step 2.

So use linux!! Works everytime :P or at least it has for me.

REMEMBER: Use no USB hubs (Hubs being the extension hubs, external from the pcs own USB ports), use USB 2.0 ports, Have all the nessecary drivers installed.

Have a terminal open in the File you should of downloaded in the first post. IE: if its unzipped on your Ubuntu Desktop.

You will need a shell open : So open it, the "cd Desktop" > "cd r4-desire-root" then "ls" to see if your in the right place. If so .....

Then Check your phone is on the recovery or bootloader which ever needed. Connect USB cable.

Then in the terminal shell do "./adb-linux devices" < Just to make sure you picked up your phone, if not unplug retry the above.

If it shows your device ..... Then your all set to go "./step1-linux.sh" after thats done move onto step2

Simples.

Edit: And on the wipe issue, i usually wipe factory reset < Proberly not nessecary, then wipe cache, the wipe devalik cache.

Have had no proplems what so ever wipeing all on the wipe list.

After i wipe i usually do the sdcard partitioning. which has everytime worked a treat. Did have the error where the top paid apps were missing but quickly returned within 30mins

IF after reading the FULL thread and various other posts you can still not get it to work, Then sell your phone you dont deserve it, also might want to consider night school for basic skills :D

Edited by potter97

Guest yonisan
IF after reading the FULL thread and various other posts you can still not get it to work, Then sell your phone you dont deserve it, also might want to consider night school for basic skills :P

Dear friend,

I did all of the above, to the letter, 10 hours ago and only then posted my note.

btw, the HBOOT data shows, as I select Bootloader (to move to Recovery):

HBOOT

SD Checking

Loading...[PB99DIAG.zip]

No Image!

Loading...[PB99DIAG.nbh]

No Image or Wrong Image!

Loading...[PB99IMG.zip]

No Image!

Loading...[PB99IMG.nbh]

No Image or Wrong Image!

Maybe this will shed some light.

Thanks

Guest potter97
Dear friend,

I did all of the above, to the letter, 10 hours ago and only then posted my note.

btw, the HBOOT data shows, as I select Bootloader (to move to Recovery):

HBOOT

SD Checking

Loading...[PB99DIAG.zip]

No Image!

Loading...[PB99DIAG.nbh]

No Image or Wrong Image!

Loading...[PB99IMG.zip]

No Image!

Loading...[PB99IMG.nbh]

No Image or Wrong Image!

Maybe this will shed some light.

Thanks

Then i suggest you check your system setup to make sure its all correct.

And the HBOOT data mine is EXACTLY the same. Dont give up just take your time and like i said use ubuntu or the supplied tinycore linux, both work a treat

Guest StuMcBill
Hello.

I had the following issue:

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

With Windows 7 64bit

But I've found a solution!!

Everybody with the same error try the following:

Open the step1-windows.bat with a texteditor (notepad doesn't display the lineending correctly. Try wordpad)

Now you see everything the Batch file is doing.

Instead of typing "step1-windows.bat" copy and paste every line you can see in there ( you don't have to copy the echo lines):

fastboot-windows.exe erase cache

fastboot-windows.exe oem rebootRUU

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

NOW...when this error appears again WAIT until the HTC logo appears again and windows has successful recognized the device again!

Now type:

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

now it shoud work.

The last step:

fastboot-windows.exe reboot-bootloader

to return to the bootloader!

As an alternative you can add "sleep 10" to the batch file under the first "fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip" line!

Hope it helps.

Greating

Spirit

I got mine to install on Windows 7 x64 using this method.

However, when I went into RECOVERY, I had to go to control panel and remove My HTC, and then plug the device in again and let Windows re-install the drivers.

After this I didnt run step2, I ran recovery-windows.bat, mounted the SD card, manually copied across rootedupdate.zip, and then flashed it that way.

Tried a couple of kitchen bakes since then and have not had the same success.

Will wait until the kitchen gets tweaked a bit before trying again!

w00t r00t!

Guest jetmin

Thanks Paul,I have rooted my desire.

but I have a question,when I reboot and get into the recovery mode,I cannt see the recovery menu again,whats the problem???

should I do the step2 again???