14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cc1961
Page cannot be displayed :)

Goldcard is a kingston 2gb (came with the desire) may i need a diff card perhaps?

Try to Google for 'MoDaCo Goldcard Tool'.

Guest cc1961
Im stuck in step 2!

Using Mac OS X

Asian Unlocked Desire

HBOOT 0.80

I am so far stuck in Step 2 after installing Step 1. Tried everything and it still won't work.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

# When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

# Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

# In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

# When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

After installing step 1, I proceeded to the recovery until the red triangle came out, entered step 2 and the error log shows :

./step2-mac.sh

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

error: protocol fault (no status)

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

Lester-Ngs-MacBook:desire root lesterng$ error: device not found

Tried Unplugging the unit first then plugging it to the mac only when the red triangle shows up to no avail.

Please help!

Read somewhere that its an HTC Sync issue but I am using a mac

Thanks

My 'phone was 'Asian Unlocked' but in the end rooting only worked with a Goldcard made using the Goldcard Tool, even though it wasn't a Telco 'phone.

Guest Epedemic

Hmm anyone else having trouble downloading HTC specific widgets? (from get more HTC widgets). They download, but they do not install :/

Guest 42turkeys
Page cannot be displayed :)

Goldcard is a kingston 2gb (came with the desire) may i need a diff card perhaps?

Sorry, spelling error :)

www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2

Guest Barry Bradford
Sorry, spelling error :)

www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2

OK Tried with the Goldcard tool with no joy - same error

I can only assume its the memory card at fault

Any more ideas?

Guest heecks

Hi,

First, I took a long time reading this thread trying to search the answer to my question but unfortunately I did not found anyhing. As this thread is very long, maybe I have missed something, so my apologizes for the noise in that case.

So, I had a debranded non-rooted phone with rom v1.15 and bootloader v0.75.

Stupidly, I accepted the OTA firmware update (to rom v1.21) and now the wifi doesn't work.

Now I have a rom v1.21 and a bootloader v0.75, which seems to be an uncommon situation, so I'm unsure wich download link I should use in the first post...

So my question is : if I use the first link (bootloader v0.75 + rom v1.15), will it work ? (downgrade the rom to 1.15 without modifying the bootloader) ?

If yes, I will go this way and then upgrade the rom to 1.21.

Thank you for your time.

Guest afiorillo

Only to say that I've just rooted my fifth Desire without a flaw. Thank you, Paul. :)

There's only an apparent incongruence in the instructions between step1 and step2: it's impossible to swap the sd cards without powering off the phone, so the steps that begin with "When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and..." and "Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option..." should be read as:

- "Wait for this step to complete and watch carefully what happens on the display: DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY OR TRY TO POWER OFF THE PHONE IF YOU SEE A GREEN ICON WITH ARROWS indicating that a radio ROM flash is in progress: just wait for the Desire to boot and then power it off as the lockscreen appears. After powering off, pull out the goldcard and replace it with the one you'll use everyday."

- "Turn the Desire back on with the <volume down> key pressed and choose the RECOVERY item from the HBOOT menu; once rebooted to the "red triangle" screen, connect the Desire to the computer"

Cheers. :)

Edited by afiorillo

Guest alansg

Hi everyone... hope to receive help from experienced users. I've currently manage to root my HTC desire successfully, however, my mobile network (data connection) is not functioning although "mobile network" option had been selected. Is there any solution to this? Thanks a million

Guest PavanT

i am at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, how to do i select the wipe option i tired the volume button that doesn't work.

Can you please help.

Edited by PavanT

Guest alansg
i am at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, how to do i select the wipe option i tired the volume button that doesn't work.

Can you please help.

Use the trackpad "a round centre button" found below your device's screen to scroll.

Guest alansg
Hi everyone... hope to receive help from experienced users. I've currently manage to root my HTC desire successfully, however, my mobile network (data connection) is not functioning although "mobile network" option had been selected. Is there any solution to this? Thanks a million

Still no news? Any kind users able to pin-point this issue to resolve it?

Guest Robbie Khan
Still no news? Any kind users able to pin-point this issue to resolve it?

Your APN settings are probably incorrect, check them?

Guest alansg
Your APN settings are probably incorrect, check them?

When i select APN, it just pop out a black screen with nothing to choose nor edit from.

Guest Robbie Khan
When i select APN, it just pop out a black screen with nothing to choose nor edit from.

That is a bit of a pinch isn't it :)

Download APN Backup & Restore from the Market and export the APN list to the SD card then delete ALL the APNs via the app. MCR 3.1 adds 601 APNs which is too much to list for the APN screen and either force closes or black screens.

I had the same issue.

Open the exported APN list in Notepad, find your network's APN and delete all the other APN lines. Re-save it then restore the APN via the app.

Edited by Robbie Khan

Guest alansg
That is a bit of a pinch isn't it :)

Download APN Backup & Restore from the Market and export the APN list to the SD card then delete ALL the APNs via the app. MCR 3.1 adds 601 APNs which is too much to list for the APN screen and either force closes or black screens.

I had the same issue.

Open the exported APN list in Notepad, find your network's APN and delete all the other APN lines. Re-save it then restore the APN via the app.

Oh yea, that's great. thanks for the enlightenment. Haha indeed, that's a big pinch which i've to endure with :)

Guest kingofthebraves

Tried using linux to root but still ended up with the same error message, DEVICE NOT FOUND. Im now going to try to root using Windows with the Gold Card method....

I am sure that I am running 0.80 and 1.19, rooting this desire is starting to be a big pain in the @ss.

Guest Dyason
Hi,

First, I took a long time reading this thread trying to search the answer to my question but unfortunately I did not found anyhing. As this thread is very long, maybe I have missed something, so my apologizes for the noise in that case.

So, I had a debranded non-rooted phone with rom v1.15 and bootloader v0.75.

Stupidly, I accepted the OTA firmware update (to rom v1.21) and now the wifi doesn't work.

Now I have a rom v1.21 and a bootloader v0.75, which seems to be an uncommon situation, so I'm unsure wich download link I should use in the first post...

So my question is : if I use the first link (bootloader v0.75 + rom v1.15), will it work ? (downgrade the rom to 1.15 without modifying the bootloader) ?

If yes, I will go this way and then upgrade the rom to 1.21.

Thank you for your time.

I too had this problem. I just downloaded the .exe file from xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667, inserted my goldcard and flashed with that. It updated the bootloader and the radio which fixed the problems. It seems the OTA update didn't do this for some reason. Hope this helps!

Guest alansg

After rooting my device which is running on v0.80, if i upgrade my rom to 1.21 via system update in the device... will my rooting be affected? Such that do i need to re-root again?

Edited by alansg

Guest cc1961

Try manually setting your APN settings. You can Google for most Telco's or give them a call.

Guest cc1961
Only to say that I've just rooted my fifth Desire without a flaw. Thank you, Paul. :)

There's only an apparent incongruence in the instructions between step1 and step2: it's impossible to swap the sd cards without powering off the phone, so the steps that begin with "When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and..." and "Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option..." should be read as:

- "Wait for this step to complete and watch carefully what happens on the display: DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY OR TRY TO POWER OFF THE PHONE IF YOU SEE A GREEN ICON WITH ARROWS indicating that a radio ROM flash is in progress: just wait for the Desire to boot and then power it off as the lockscreen appears. After powering off, pull out the goldcard and replace it with the one you'll use everyday."

- "Turn the Desire back on with the <volume down> key pressed and choose the RECOVERY item from the HBOOT menu; once rebooted to the "red triangle" screen, connect the Desire to the computer"

Cheers. :)

Perhaps Paul could add this to the first post ? Good advice indeed !

Guest neoDite

Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered before (Im sure it has but i cannot find it)

I rooted my desire perfectly fine about 2 weeks ago but had to get the phone replaced when i got back from holiday (damaged phone, nothing todo with rooting it)

So now ive got my fresh brand new desire so wanting to root again, and here is where the problems start.

So i followed the steps again and got to step-1 in cmd and i recive the error

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

C:\desire>

Now last time i did not need a goldcard, but i made one anyway last time incase it didn't work, so i tried this time with the goldcard created but still the same error (I made the gold card again after this second error to make sure they goldcard was ok)

Anyone got any ideas? It worked so well last time :)

Guest Barry Bradford
Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered before (Im sure it has but i cannot find it)

I rooted my desire perfectly fine about 2 weeks ago but had to get the phone replaced when i got back from holiday (damaged phone, nothing todo with rooting it)

So now ive got my fresh brand new desire so wanting to root again, and here is where the problems start.

So i followed the steps again and got to step-1 in cmd and i recive the error

Now last time i did not need a goldcard, but i made one anyway last time incase it didn't work, so i tried this time with the goldcard created but still the same error (I made the gold card again after this second error to make sure they goldcard was ok)

Anyone got any ideas? It worked so well last time :)

Am also having the same issue mate - see replies on prev page - its a gold card issue apparently - am waiting till pay day to get a 2gb sandisk :)

Guest IIIIkoolaidIIII

Great guide and great work, thanks for root access to my Desire. Can't wait for a hack to be found for full root access, am missing having a native recovery on the phone.