14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Liney_2000
glad to hear it worked :D for a2sd use rom manager to format your sd saves you from using your computer to partition it (it wouldnt be a problem if u ran linux and gparted but with windows i trust rom manager more :))

@wolvie77 which did you download the <0.8 one or <0.75 one

Hi itachi46, I used ROM manager as you suggested and R3.1 went on fine.

Basically your advise was 100% and you saved me!!!

I now have a desire which is not limited in apps space and all that Telstra rubbish is GONE and I won't have to wait a year to see Froyo!

I could not seem to partition my 32GB card, but I can live with the 8GB for now.

My only thing now is that Google Earth has gone and I can't get it back, not sure why this is and I used that app quite a bit.

Owe you a beer, cheers

Guest itachi46
Hi itachi46, I used ROM manager as you suggested and R3.1 went on fine.

Basically your advise was 100% and you saved me!!!

I now have a desire which is not limited in apps space and all that Telstra rubbish is GONE and I won't have to wait a year to see Froyo!

I could not seem to partition my 32GB card, but I can live with the 8GB for now.

My only thing now is that Google Earth has gone and I can't get it back, not sure why this is and I used that app quite a bit.

Owe you a beer, cheers

google earth was removed from the 2.1update i think... or something liek that i think you can find the apk floating around on the web somewhere i didnt really care for it since i had google maps on...

Guest Liney_2000
google earth was removed from the 2.1update i think... or something liek that i think you can find the apk floating around on the web somewhere i didnt really care for it since i had google maps on...

Appears Earth won't run with that ROM, tried downloading the APK and installing it using Astro, to no avail. Naturally, it does not appear on the Market either.

Does ANYONE know a work around, I have been searching everywhere without luck.

Guest cyb3rt

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

... FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)...

Here it hangs.

Has nobody got any explanation why this may happen? I want to try the new r6 root process, but I really don't want to go through all the backing up and restoring just to get this error again...

Thanks guys :)

Guest omaro

Thanks a bunch for this root!

I made a GoldCard out of my only memstick, can i use it as a normal memorycard or do I have to format it in order to use it as before. If I have to format it can I still load custom roms onto my Desire?

EDIT: How do i kow that the rooting prosess and loading of custom ROM went well?

Been searching around a bit, and in CMD i write cd\ -> cd\AndroidSDK\tools\ -> adb shell, and get "#" and i write su and i get "#" but i get no notification on my Desire tho. I have a custom rom installed, from Modaco and can run drocap2 and market enabler is working fine.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by omaro

Guest itachi46
Thanks a bunch for this root!

I made a GoldCard out of my only memstick, can i use it as a normal memorycard or do I have to format it in order to use it as before. If I have to format it can I still load custom roms onto my Desire?

EDIT: How do i kow that the rooting prosess and loading of custom ROM went well?

Been searching around a bit, and in CMD i write cd\ -> cd\AndroidSDK\tools\ -> adb shell, and get "#" and i write su and i get "#" but i get no notification on my Desire tho. I have a custom rom installed, from Modaco and can run drocap2 and market enabler is working fine.

Thanks in advance.

afaik the generic rom in in this rooting guide doenst have root. you will need to install other custom roms like mcr 3.1 or something

Guest Renz33

Pls help, im stuck at

When a black screen appears with a red triangle, press and hold 'Volume Up' then tap 'Power'.

Im at the Recovery screen but i got a E:Cant open /cache/recovery/command

well i ignore it, i proceed to next step

your device should now be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe data/factory reset' option <-- after i pressed power button to select wipe data/factory reset option, i got this on my screen

No

No

No

No

No

No

Yes -- delete all user data

No

No

No

i press the volume buttonb n scroll down to the yes -- delete all user data option

data wipe complete.

i then proceed to --> then select the option to 'Apply sdcard:update.zip

i got an error saying:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:Signature verification failed

Installation Aborted

HELP..................... i duno what else to do

Guest Renz33

im sorry my bad,i just realised that i didnt reboot my pc after the htc sync installation.Im assuming that i got the wrong CID for the gold card.I have succesfully rooted my desire.But at the same time,another problem occurs.Im unable to turn on my mobile data network, any 1 care to explain/clear my mind on this.What is the radio version means?? how can i revert everthing back to its original settings?

Guest faquick

What to say?

I finally had the motivation to go with the root and... It worked flawlessly at first trial!

Just... THANK YOU Paul and everybody else who worked on this and who provided the tools used to accomplish this goal!

Edited by faquick

Guest Slex

if i like to update the radio or something how do i do that ? I have tried to find the info here but it's just to much so if anyone know how please post a reply !

Thanks in advanced !

Alex

Guest liorwei

just a question:

do i need to make the memory card to goldCard, or not?

i dont have a carrier.

i bought it from hongkong...

Guest RevoWution
just a question:

do i need to make the memory card to goldCard, or not?

i dont have a carrier.

i bought it from hongkong...

You most probably won't need a GoldCard. My Desire's unbranded from Clove in the UK, and I successfully rooted it last night :)

Guest RevoWution

Ever since I rooted my Desire last night (successful on the first go! Thanks, Paul!), the phone's been nagging me to update to the latest software version.

I had v1.21 before the root, and it seems like the rooted ROM supplied in this thread is only v1.15, so I'm guessing this is why my phone's reminding me to update? My question is, is it safe to update to v1.21? I've read in some other forums that updating a rooted Desire messes with the WiFi? Can anybody confirm this please?

Also, how do I get Apps2SD installed? I've tried partitioning with ClockWorkMod and tried flashing it via "Recovery" in HBOOT, but I keep getting an error. I have BootLoader 0.8.

Thanks! :)

Guest sh500
Ever since I rooted my Desire last night (successful on the first go! Thanks, Paul!), the phone's been nagging me to update to the latest software version.

I had v1.21 before the root, and it seems like the rooted ROM supplied in this thread is only v1.15, so I'm guessing this is why my phone's reminding me to update? My question is, is it safe to update to v1.21? I've read in some other forums that updating a rooted Desire messes with the WiFi? Can anybody confirm this please?

Also, how do I get Apps2SD installed? I've tried partitioning with ClockWorkMod and tried flashing it via "Recovery" in HBOOT, but I keep getting an error. I have BootLoader 0.8.

Thanks! :)

I used this this ROM, which is 1.21 I believe and WiFi works fine for me.

App2SD- the functionality is already enabled in the above ROM above, but you have to also 'set up' your SD card. I found using Gpart Live CD the easiest method of doing this.

Guest Renz33

help guys....URGENT, i cant access my mobile data network anymore after rooting my desire,i doesnt help even if i flash it to 2.2 defrost.

Guest whyleya

Quick question.

I debranded my Desire about a month ago now. Will I need a gold card again to apply this update and what happens when Froyo is officially released? Will it just update OTA or will I have to wipe my phone again.

I'm just slightly confused what is the best route to take for my phone? Could someone kindly explain?

Thanks

Guest rekekjeks

Has anyone used this guide to make WaveSecure hard reset proof?

Best regards

Joachim

Edited by rekekjeks

Guest oakgrove

When I try rooting I get this error:

-- Wipng data...

Formatting DATA:...

Formatting CASHE:...

Data wipe complete.

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifyring update package...

E:signature verifycation failed

Installation aborted

What am I doing wrong?

Guest Diggedy

-- Wipng data...

Data wipe complete.

Installation aborted

What am I doing wrong?

are you holding down the "back" key or the volume key when powering on your device? I did it first by holding the volume down key and it appeared to start the process then I got your error. I re-read it and tried holding the back button (as the instructions said, silly me) and this time it worked perfectly

Guest LucYan

hi. i flashed a 1.22.771.3 RUU rom and now it seems that my desire can't be rooted by r6. is there any other ways help me to root?

Guest yukkio
hi. i flashed a 1.22.771.3 RUU rom and now it seems that my desire can't be rooted by r6. is there any other ways help me to root?

Same here. There isn't no method to get your desire rooted... :S

Guest MistaJae

-- Wipng data...

Data wipe complete.

Installation aborted

What am I doing wrong?

I had a similar problem which was solved by re-downloading the files. Make sure they are all the right size or use md5.

Worth a try :)

Edited by MistaJae

Guest radshag

Hello,

I have just used the reflash tool from revoked.com I can't get the nandroid backup to work from the recovery menu to work and it fails after creating the boot.img and recovery.img. How can I find and run the nandroid-mobile.sh command like I used to do before using reflash?

Thanks for the help,

Radshag