14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lanxton
I've got some problems...

Thought I saw a few errors pop up on the phone just before it allowed me to select 'Bootloader' and 'Recovery' but then went fine... So I went and got a drink as per the advice... When I came back it said it had done it, so I reboted... It then seemed to be on a continous boot loop, after writing under the logo... I pulled it and did step 2 again, seemed to work, but again I got a flash of a error message on the phone just before it let me move the curser to Bootloader, again then seemed to work, but now it boots but it immediately says SD Card Removed and I have no service at all... Its now not recognised when I plug it into the PC so I cant try any sort of fix now...

Havent got a clue what to do! HELP!

Can you tell us a little more about your procedure. What OS are you using?

Guest lanxton
its a german o2 Desire, i think it isn´t an operator supplied device. A goldcard isn´t necessary.

O2 requires a goldcard.

Guest cschmitz

FIX FOR ERROR

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

Here is a fixed step1-windows.bat for Windows Users, replace the Original file:

http://bit.ly/bZISSz

Credit goes to WolfspiritM, made the file for people who are not sure what and where to do.

Guest lanxton
FIX FOR ERROR

Here is a fixed step1-windows.bat for Windows Users, replace the Original file:

http://bit.ly/bZISSz

Credit goes to WolfspiritM, made the file for people who are not sure what and where to do.

Here is the difference.. the sleep statement was added for an extra timeout on Window 7 machines to allow the last process to finish before starting the next. I would also add an echo in there stating that the process is sleeping so that people dont cancel the process thinking that something is stuck.

--- tst/step1-windows.bat 2010-05-04 02:31:33.000000000 +0200

+++ step1-windows.bat 2010-05-07 00:45:36.000000000 +0200

@@ -8,6 +8,7 @@

echo.

echo About to start flash...

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

+sleep 15

echo.

echo Rebooting to bootloader...

Guest CaspaTheGhost
Can you tell us a little more about your procedure. What OS are you using?

I was using windows r4....

Guest Kiwizz

Paul - Would you advice against rooting a Desire from Softbank Japan? Would everything still work? The phone is connected on the W-CDMA network - I assume the generic rom is only for the European version?

Thanks.

Guest lanxton
I was using windows r4....

Win95? As much detail as possible would help everyone. I think the fixed batch file above might help you if you have Windows 7.

Edited by lanxton

Guest cschmitz
I would also add an echo in there stating that the process is sleeping so that people dont cancel the process thinking that something is stuck.

Good Idea, i added some explanation about the first error and the delay

Guest lanxton
Good Idea, i added some explanation about the first error and the delay

Instead of hardcoding wait statements in the batch files, you can also place calls in the main batch file to other batch files. This will force the main batch file wait for the call to finish before it proceeds without having to hardcode wait statements.

Instead of the original code:

---snip---

sleep 15

echo.

---snip---

We could do something like this instead:

---snip---

flash.bat

flash.bat

echo.

---snip---

Where flash.bat is just a batch file with this one line:

Guest WolfspiritM

No. The current Batch file is waiting too. But windows seems to take some time to remove the Usb device, even, when the command is finished. The next command is then working with the disconnected device instead of the reconnected one. A delay of 2 second might be enough but calling another batch isn't doing something else then the official step1 file is doing at the moment.

Edited by WolfspiritM

Guest lanxton
No. The current Batch file is waiting too. But windows seems to take some time to remove the Usb device, even, when the command is finished. The next command is then working with the disconnected device instead of the reconnected one. A delay of 2 second might be enough but calling another batch isn't doing something else then the official step1 file is doing at the moment.

I see, so the problem is not entirely with the command finishing before the next one starts. It seems like it will still need a sleep statement. I always try my best not to hard code values if possible.

Guest Gooner4_1998

Hi

Mananged to use WolfspiritM's amended instructions to get past the "FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)" issue. Thanks!

However, I now can't get my computer to recognise the device for step 2! Below is the feedback I get from the command window:

C:\HTCROOT>step2-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

push: files/etc/fstab -> /etc/fstab

push: files/sbin/wipe -> /sbin/wipe

push: files/sbin/unyaffs -> /sbin/unyaffs

push: files/sbin/ums_toggle -> /sbin/ums_toggle

push: files/sbin/um -> /sbin/um

push: files/sbin/tune2fs -> /sbin/tune2fs

push: files/sbin/toolbox -> /sbin/toolbox

push: files/sbin/sdparted -> /sbin/sdparted

push: files/sbin/recovery -> /sbin/recovery

protocol failure

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

The desire is sitting devices and printers section on my computer so I cant understand why it cant be found.

Am using windows 7 64 bit.

Its now a personal mission of mine to root this so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Guest cschmitz
Hi

The desire is sitting devices and printers section on my computer so I cant understand why it cant be found.

Am using windows 7 64 bit.

Its now a personal mission of mine to root this so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!!

You wanna do this "out of principle" or just root your phone? If its just about rooting, really really really avoid the hassle and use linux.

Guest Gooner4_1998

Problem is that I know nothing about Linux at all!!!!

Wouldn't even know where to start i.e. how to get it on my machine, how to use it once its on..........

How easy is it and is there an idiots guide to booting linux on a windows machine?

Is there a work around for the issue I am having with Windows 7?!

Edited by Gooner4_1998

Guest DinoCro

Hi to everyone! I'm new at the forums so please excuse my n00biness.

I found this great topic while searching for a way to root my HTC Desire. And now I have to ask someone for help. Following Paul's tutorial I managed to get it all right until the step where I need to "Wipe" everything in recovery screen. I succesfully wiped first two or three things and then I got stuck at wiping "ext" or something like that. It says "run wipe ext via adb".

So, I tried to learn more about adb and run "wipe ext" from the command prompt. Didn't manage it, in the process my phone made a silly noise and went dead. Had to take the battery out and turn it on. It was fresh, clean and wiped install, but I guess not rooted. So I'll try to do it again.

Anyone has any idea how to do or bypass "run wipe ext via adb" error? As I said, I am new to this stuff and I didn't manage to pull it off. I thank you in advance for all your help!

Dino

Guest Orgasmatrond
i think i managed to root but do i have to do the STEP 2 everytime i want to go in recovery? otherwise i have the red triangle

thx

Bump. I've tried looking for the answer, but can't find it anywhere...

Guest cschmitz
Thanks, but seeing that I have no empty cd's nor a usb stick, I'll just stick with "step2-windows.bat".

Will that have any negative effects at all?

why not use recovery-windows.bat? you want to enter recovery only no?

Guest Orgasmatrond
why not use recovery-windows.bat? you want to enter recovery only no?

That's right. But where do I type that? If in cmd, where should it be directed?

Guest fatwolf

I just applied the r4 scripts and guide on my HBOOT v 0.75 and OS build 1.16.xxx

Ran ALMOST perfectly.

The step2 script failed the 1st time however running it again right away worked the system didn't detect the mass storage device to copy the content onto.

Other then that little hickup it was very clean and streamline. (YAY NO TELSTRA LOGO)

I used a Debian X64 system to run the scripts. It asked for the sudo password so it might be worth highlighting that the script requires root. I am glad it was written to actually ask for sudo if it didn't have root.

Thanks for the wonderful work on this.

Guest chuzwuzza
I just applied the r4 scripts and guide on my HBOOT v 0.75 and OS build 1.16.xxx

Ran ALMOST perfectly.

The step2 script failed the 1st time however running it again right away worked the system didn't detect the mass storage device to copy the content onto.

Other then that little hickup it was very clean and streamline. (YAY NO TELSTRA LOGO)

I used a Debian X64 system to run the scripts. It asked for the sudo password so it might be worth highlighting that the script requires root. I am glad it was written to actually ask for sudo if it didn't have root.

Thanks for the wonderful work on this.

Did you use the HBOOT 0.75, 1.15.xxx download or the HBOOT 0.80, 1.21.xxx download? I've got the same ROM on my Desire currently, and am a bit unsure as to which one to use. I have HBOOT 0.75, but OS 1.16.

Guest fatwolf
Did you use the HBOOT 0.75, 1.15.xxx download or the HBOOT 0.80, 1.21.xxx download? I've got the same ROM on my Desire currently, and am a bit unsure as to which one to use. I have HBOOT 0.75, but OS 1.16.

I used the one for Hboot <= 0.80 and ROM <= 1.21.xxx download

Guest CaspaTheGhost
Win95? As much detail as possible would help everyone. I think the fixed batch file above might help you if you have Windows 7.

On an XP machine...

Guest IrealiTY

I have heard that the

32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update

causes some Problems on the .80 devices (like no 3G+ Speeed (H symbol))