14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest StuMcBill
Hello phonesters,

This all looks very interesting, connecting a phone to a PC and mucking about with it. I've read through the thread -- not the whole thing, but quite a few pages at the beginning, and a few towards the end -- and what I can't figure out is *why* one would carry out this process.

Can someone say what advantages doing this "root" business confers over running the phone as it ships?

(If my limited understanding of the Linux operating system is right, one enters "SU" mode, or executes a command with "root" privileges when, and only when required. This protects the integrity of the system. Is the process described and discussed throughout this thread at odds with that ethos? If so, why?)

I believe it gives apps more options to use and allows more control over the device.

It also allows you to install custom roms with features that are not available in the stock OS.

Guest meeeeeeeee

Hi all, This may just be a silly question, but i have rooted my desire with this but how do i see if apps2d is working? when i download from marketplace i get no option to install to sd card, my wifi also cannot connect to my work pc through proxy

Guest Barry Bradford

SWEET!! Successfully rooted my htc using the Telstra 8183 method!

Shall be subscribing for online kitchen access - alas no $$ at present :)

Needing to get hold of apps2sd also :)

Cheers to all for your comments, you've all been fantastic :)

so chuffed right now

Edited by Barry Bradford

Guest dickenz
SWEET!! Successfully rooted my htc using the Telstra 8183 method!

Shall be subscribing for online kitchen access - alas no $$ at present :)

Needing to get hold of apps2sd also :)

Cheers to all for your comments, you've all been fantastic :)

so chuffed right now

Glad you got there mate. I was just about to reply!

Enjoy!

Guest sunn182

hi can anyone post a tutorial video on the whole process for r5-rooting (bootloader 0.8 ROM 2.1) PLEASE??!! :P :D :)

sure will be more helpful.really appreciate :) it since im new to this :) :)

cheers

Edited by sunn182

Guest Barry Bradford
hi can anyone post a tutorial video on the whole process for r5-rooting (bootloader 0.8 ROM 2.1) PLEASE??!! :P :D :)

sure will be more helpful.really appreciate :) it since im new to this :) :)

cheers

@Dickenz - No Worries Mate :P all sweet now although would you be able to point me in the right direction for being able to do a full backup as im contemplating messing around with a custom rom and wouldnt mind being able to do a full backup of my current config (apps etc)

Cheers again :D

Barry Bradford

CCNA CCNP MCSE

Guest oclock
Root method updated... now MUCH safer! :)

P

Do you have some information about what has changed? What makes it "riskfree" now?

oC

Guest Dr_Ash

question.....

if we have already rooted and want a safe way to re-flash new roms, do we need to go through a whole new root process or is there a new and safer custom recovery which doesn't cause the USB brick issue?

Guest dickenz
@Dickenz - No Worries Mate :) all sweet now although would you be able to point me in the right direction for being able to do a full backup as im contemplating messing around with a custom rom and wouldnt mind being able to do a full backup of my current config (apps etc)

Cheers again :)

Barry Bradford

CCNA CCNP MCSE

Hi Barry,

Yeah mate I am using MyBackup Pro - Search the market for it.

I believe Titanium Backup Pro (Root) is also very good. Again it is available in the market.

Cheers.

Guest akashkotak
Yes, you'll load them on by running recovery and then doing 'adb shell mount /system' before pushing the files.

P

Paul whats the difference between the earlier process and this .. we still have to use the pc for loading the recovery image ?

Guest mojuk

Ok i'm having issues and it's frustrating me :@

I have an operator free desire (cool)

0.75 boot loader and 1.15.405.4 stock rom

Tried to use the relevant download (266mb)

I go through the process and the below happens:

Stage 1 is fine.

Then i follow the steps and access recovery, the phone then reboots to the red triangle on black background, i use the volume up and flick power...then get to the black and blue screen...i wipe factory data then try to apply:update.zip which is where the problem starts :)

If i leave it named r6-desire-root.zip it says it can't find the update.zip...ok i thought i'll rename the file to update.zip and it now says it can't find a signed update and fails :)

Gah! Still doesn't work, stage one works fine now but i'm still getting signature verification failed when i try to apply:update.zip

Edited by mojuk

Guest tatey2457

Even though you have a unbranded handset try making a Goldcard, I'm sure I read of a few users having to do this even though their phone came with no operator branding. Short of that try the Linux live cd, worked everytime for most.

Guest tatey2457
Ok i'm having issues and it's frustrating me :@

I have an operator free desire (cool)

0.75 boot loader and 1.15.405.4 stock rom

Tried to use the relevant download (266mb)

I go through the process and the below happens:

Then i follow the steps and access recovery, the phone then reboots to the red triangle on black background, i use the volume up and flick power...then get to the black and blue screen...i wipe factory data then try to apply:update.zip which is where the problem starts :)

If i leave it named r6-desire-root.zip it says it can't find the update.zip...ok i thought i'll rename the file to update.zip and it now says it can't find a signed update and fails :)

Attempting from Linux instead of OS X to get round the sudo bit not working...

This might sound silly but are you extracting R6-Desire-root.zip before you proceed, if not that could be the problem. Inside the .zip you downloaded is the update.zip

Guest mojuk
This might sound silly but are you extracting R6-Desire-root.zip before you proceed, if not that could be the problem. Inside the .zip you downloaded is the update.zip

AHHH bloody is silly and it's why too! GRRR thanks dude....i was trying to overcomplicate it all!

Guest tatey2457
AHHH bloody is silly and it's why too! GRRR thanks dude....i was trying to overcomplicate it all!

No probs...glad you got there in the end!

Guest mojuk
No probs...glad you got there in the end!

You know when u try too hard, yeah thats it lol

Thanks man...update.zip is flashing as we speak :)