14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tatey2457
OK, so I (successfully) completed the first part (running step-1-windows.bat) of the process, but when I enter the Recovery Menu it says "E:can't open cache/recovery/command". I've tried rebooting several times, but still get the same message. Should I ignore this and still 'wide data/factory reset' and update, or what?

EDIT: I used the 'r5-desire-root-alt' method (or rather a combo of the two) to complete the rooting process, and it's all better now ;)

Now what the hell is Superuser Permissions, and is it supposed to be just a black screen when you open it?

I get that msg every time I run the recovery...just go to flash update.zip and the other (green text) recovery window will load

Superuser is the app that provides root to apps that need it. When you grant a app su rights it will appear in a list

Edited by tatey2457

I get that msg every time I run the recovery...just go to flash update.zip and the other (green text) recovery window will load

Superuser is the app that provides root to apps that need it. When you grant a app su rights it will appear in a list

So I was successful after all then, I just took a slightly less ballsy route ;) Thanks tatey!

Guest Leodido

Is there any other mirror than the one provided for the "if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below" file because I'm downloading at 50kb/s and its 250 mb ;)

Guest Time Sheep
Hi there :(

I'm sorry I didn't care to read all 114 pages, but I get an error when running step1-windows.bat.

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

... FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)...

Here it hangs. Stuck at a shiny and pretty HTC logo, but I'm not sure that's why I tried to root?

Okay, I'm not sure why, but I tried again, and then it worked.

In fact I pressed ^C in the command prompt and pulled out the cable from the phone. (I felt that I had to, after waiting for it to get done for half an hour) Then it said RUU and I pulled out the battery. Plugged it back in, turned on the (now reset) phone, and went into USB debugging. I reformatted the memory card and threw back in update.zip

I rebooted the phone, clicked recovery and then it went as planned ;) Luckily, was quite a risk to pull out cable and battery.

Guest spammyspam

But they still can't write to system right?

Guest Marteni

Using a sandisk 2gb and then a kingston 2gb for the gold card I get a 'failed to verify whole file signature :signature verification failed - Installation Aborted' error when I do 'Apply sdcard:update.zip'.

Izarc (win7) opens the update.zip package contained in r6-desire-root.zip and tells me the signature is 'signed by SignApk'.

The phone reboots to factory (telstra) rom after this.

Is this a corrupted download or another sort of problem. Am I missing something? I have to travel a bit for internet access to download another copy of r6-desire-root.zip, is there another way to verify that this package is complete / uncorrupted?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Guest mortazavi

I have Desire with ROM 1.19.707.7 and Hroot 0.8, I have installed R6(r6-desire-root-alt) root method but after installing first step successfully, I go to recovery mode and wipe all my data and applying update.zip from sd card but the installation will abort and it has a signature file error

I have also done it with gold card, but there is no different ;)

What can I do? Please help me :(

Edited by mortazavi

Guest JohnnyUK

Ok, guys. I just finally mashed my feeble monkeybrain into shape over this one, so I thought I'd share.

For ANYONE still getting the "FAILED: (remove:90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" error on windows, here's an updated batch file. It's attached below, just extract it into your r6-desire-root folder and try running it again.

For those interested, the problem is you need a wait - and I saw some people posting revised batch files with a 'sleep 15' in there earlier in the thread. Sleep is not a batch command, at least not anymore. The workaround is ping yourself for fifteen seconds before a retry - I'm not making this s*** up. But anyway, there you go.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot - I'm finally on a vanilla HTC rom with decent headphone volume (that's all I've been doing this for - thanks T-Mobile! I need to void the warrenty to listen to music, smart move), so thank you everyone involved, you've made my day. Cheers, guys.

step1_windows.zip

Edited by JohnnyUK

Hi guys,

I'm happy to tell you that it works perfectly with my 0.80 Bootloader.

But I just wanted to root, because of getting updates directly from HTC. But my rooted firmware is 1.15 and the current release is 1.21 and when I want to update ota I get the message that my phone has the newest software.

So my question: How to get the latest original HTC firmware onto my rooted Desire?

Greetz

piecko

Guest spammyspam
For ANYONE still getting the "FAILED: (remove:90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" error on windows, here's an updated batch file. It's attached below, just extract it into your r6-desire-root folder and try running it again.

For those interested, the problem is you need a wait - and I saw some people posting revised batch files with a 'sleep 15' in there earlier in the thread. Sleep is not a batch command, at least not anymore. The workaround is ping yourself for fifteen seconds before a retry - I'm not making this s*** up. But anyway, there you go.

I spent my Friday afternoon rooting too - was getting the same error, although I'm not actually sure it is unintended.

The way I fixed it was to manually type all the commands from the batch file a line at a time - effectively what you're doing but with manual pauses. I still got the error above, but the second call to fastboot-windows flash zip did something different (and succeeded).

Anyway it may be worth mentioning you can do this manually in the first post; since the batch file is just a series of commands and nothing more, rooting line by line should be manageable by most and IMO is an easier solution than resorting to TinyCore (especially if I could do it!)

Edited by spammyspam

Guest Marteni
Using a sandisk 2gb and then a kingston 2gb for the gold card I get a 'failed to verify whole file signature :signature verification failed - Installation Aborted' error when I do 'Apply sdcard:update.zip'.

Izarc (win7) opens the update.zip package contained in r6-desire-root.zip and tells me the signature is 'signed by SignApk'.

The phone reboots to factory (telstra) rom after this.

Is this a corrupted download or another sort of problem. Am I missing something? I have to travel a bit for internet access to download another copy of r6-desire-root.zip, is there another way to verify that this package is complete / uncorrupted?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Just re downloaded the r6-desire-root.zip by following the link for boot loader 0.75 on the first page of this thread. File size is ~266mb. The md5 checksum does not match. The rootedupdate.zip contained in this archive has a corrupted zip header. This would be my problem, and maybe a few other peoples too.

Think reading may be my problem. I've been downloading the <1.15.xxx.x when I need the <1.21.xxx.x and check summed the <1.15.xxx.x with the <1.21.xxx.x hash.

Downloading the correct zip now. ;)

Edited by Marteni

Guest Kimoryyr

Hello,

[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

I would advise everyone blocked with the "E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)"

to type "fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" before leaving the BOOTLOADER. It could be added in the step1 batch/bash script. ;)

Guest absinthemeninded

Stuck - please help

I have got this far:

C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\desire\r6-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

I now have a black screen with htc written on it, and the power button is not responsive.

What should I do?

Guest absinthemeninded
Stuck - please help

I have got this far:

C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\desire\r6-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

I now have a black screen with htc written on it, and the power button is not responsive.

What should I do?

Not to worry... now fixed. I was using a Vista 64 bit system which caused the problem ended up flashing phone using VM Ware which worked perfectly!

Guest KHShapiro

i was rooted using the r5 but could not get the fake flash to work so i rerooted with r6, i can get the fake flash to work but i cant seem to change my sd ext or even mount it... should i goto into the r5 recovery to set the ext for app2sd?? anyone?

Guest Marteni

I'm having no success in rooting my phone.

Phone is HTC Desire A8183

Build 1.16.841.1

Bootloader 0.75

I made a gold card using this method and a Kingston 2BG card: http://android.modaco.com/content/software...n-goldcardtool/

The phone reads the card, and using a hex editor I can verify that lines 000 to 017 have been copied to the mbr. Is there any way to check that this is a gold card?

Downloaded r6-desire-root-alt from this thread. Check sum matches. Followed the procedure successfully up until 'apply sdcard:update.zip', then the verification of the zipfile fails about a third of the way in and aborts.

After choosing 'reboot' from the menu the phone reboots to the original Telstra rom with all user data wiped.

This is really doing my head in.

Guest KHShapiro
Just checked here: http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/07/how-to-root-the-htc-desire/

and this link is still up: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QJAZE6LR

Hope this is what you are after.

Thanks for the link , for the life of me i could not find it..

As far as your root, try redown loading the file again maybe its corrupt. ive rooted with the r5 and now the r6 , personally i would stay with the r5 because of the recovery on the r6 not suporting sd ext changes (yet)

Guest Vonacid

Hi all! I need some advise on getting my desire root.

Bascially, mine is a Singapore Desire of bootloader version 0.8.0000 and my rom version is 1.19.XXX.X

I've already successfully created a goldcard based on the theunlockr.com

My problem comes in the guide which mentioned that its for "Bootloader version 0.75.XXXX or below AND a ROM version of 1.21.XXX.X or below".

I understand from the 1st post on this thread that its still possible root when i have bootloader version 0.8.0000. But can i know if its still possible for me to root when my rom version is 1.19.XXX.X?

Anyone can pls advise me? I'm gg crazy over the limited space on my phone when i own a 16GB SD card, and the battery life is driving me nut!~ >.<"

Guest Attitudes

Working like a charm:-) Thanks for putting down all those hours so ppl like me can root our phones!

Online kitchen is just greate to ;) rly liked the option to add and remove standard apps.

btw. anyone know how to get the marked showing all the payed apps? as for now I installed MarketEnabler, but only apps on the first screen is showing some payed apps, from there on I need to search for apps to get them showing.

Thanx

Guest tatey2457
I'm having no success in rooting my phone.

Phone is HTC Desire A8183

Build 1.16.841.1

Bootloader 0.75

I made a gold card using this method and a Kingston 2BG card: http://android.modaco.com/content/software...n-goldcardtool/

The phone reads the card, and using a hex editor I can verify that lines 000 to 017 have been copied to the mbr. Is there any way to check that this is a gold card?

Downloaded r6-desire-root-alt from this thread. Check sum matches. Followed the procedure successfully up until 'apply sdcard:update.zip', then the verification of the zipfile fails about a third of the way in and aborts.

After choosing 'reboot' from the menu the phone reboots to the original Telstra rom with all user data wiped.

This is really doing my head in.

Can you define all steps you are taking

Guest shug176

Guys i im 99% sure i have followed and done everything correct but i get an error saying e:failed to open sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)e signature verification failed etc. Im guessing im doing something wrong with the update file but i copied it and put it in the root of my sd card can anyone pls help??there is 2 files one called update (which i used) and one called rootedupdate whats the correct one?

Edited by shug176

Guest Attitudes
Guys i im 99% sure i have followed and done everything correct but i get an error saying e:failed to open sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)e signature verification failed etc. Im guessing im doing something wrong with the update file but i copied it and put it in the root of my sd card can anyone pls help??there is 2 files one called update (which i used) and one called rootedupdate whats the correct one?

Are u sure the "update.zip" file is in the root of your sdcard? (not inside any folders?)

Also u can try to delete the update.zip from the sdcard and copy it over again.