Apps2SD Miniguide

Guest Luqq

Guest mtbmtb

Thanks for the reply,

Seems to be working fine.

123MB available as internal phone storage is this OK, how much should I have straight after rooting?

Guest Kopfgeldjaeger
Thanks for the reply,

Seems to be working fine.

123MB available as internal phone storage is this OK, how much should I have straight after rooting?

That should be OK. I have 126MB and it's not decreasing when installing apps.

Guest VGLink

Hey i installed the update. First i had 93 mb free and now 117 . Installed 3 apps abs now 116 mb. Think it is ok but i think if you work with paul together it will Bw more possible but für now . Big thx

Guest staba

Can this only work with ext3? I did not convert because it was not in the guide. But with a ls -l /data it does say system/sd/app etc. But when I install apps it seems weird, sometimes the internal storage goes down and sometime it does not.

Guest staba

this is my output, is this correct or? Thanks in advance for.helping.

#busybox df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs                   199.2M         0    199.2M   0% /dev

tmpfs                     4.0M         0      4.0M   0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock3    250.0M    221.2M     28.8M  88% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5    147.6M     23.2M    124.4M  16% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4     40.0M      2.7M     37.3M   7% /cache

tmpfs                     8.0M      3.3M      4.7M  42% /app-cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2    915.3M     54.7M    811.8M   6% /system/sd

/dev/block//vold/179:1

6.4G      1.1G      5.3G  17% /sdcard

Guest nekromantik

I only have 99.03mb left on fone.

I installed a 3mb game and it went down to .03 from 0.7 so must be working but would like to get those 26mb back ha ha

hopefully the CM ROM will have a better SD2Apps

Guest Kopfgeldjaeger

I did A2SD with my 4GB card. Worked.

Now, when I put my 16GB card in (not yet formatted and without the apps), the Desire hangs in a boot loop at the Quietly brilliant screen.

I guess this has to do with A2SD? Can I disable it easily and fast? (I'll try editing the init script tomorrow, if it's as easy as this...)

I know I could probably just format the 16GB card with a card reader and put the needed files on it. But I don't have an external card reader :/

Guest afiorillo
I did A2SD with my 4GB card. Worked.

Now, when I put my 16GB card in (not yet formatted and without the apps), the Desire hangs in a boot loop at the Quietly brilliant screen.

I guess this has to do with A2SD? Can I disable it easily and fast? (I'll try editing the init script tomorrow, if it's as easy as this...)

I know I could probably just format the 16GB card with a card reader and put the needed files on it. But I don't have an external card reader :/

Re-enter the recovery console (via the linux/mac procedure) and partition your SD (your new 16GB one, NOT the Goldcard!); then, retry.

You can partition as follows: 0 MB swap, 384 MB ext2, the remaining FAT32.

Guest nekromantik

I dont get how afiorillo has installed 130 apps and got 98mb free and I got like 15 apps and 95 free and it keeps going down still.

I checked to see if the davlink cache update worked and it looks like it should work as its pointing to my sd card but my internal mem is still decreasing after every app install.

Edited by nekromantik

Guest bcmobile
-put in the goldcard with the signed apps2sd zip (this is important, cant install if the apps2sd zip isnt on the goldcard)

Oh man! Thanks for the guide. I made the crappy 4gb class 2 card that came with the phone into a dedicated goldcard and had tried to install Apps2SD from a different card. :huh:

Guest ed.dark

Is this normal - my phone memory decreases even though apps are on sd card. The directories in the phone and the sd card have identical entries but when I remove a file from the phone using adb, it gets removed from the sd card too! The phone is 47% used up!

# busybox df -h

busybox df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted

tmpfs 199.2M 0 199.2M 0% /dev

tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_

/dev/block/mtdblock3 250.0M 221.8M 28.2M 89% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5 147.6M 69.2M 78.4M 47% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 40.0M 2.6M 37.4M 7% /cache

tmpfs 8.0M 2.7M 5.3M 34% /app-cac

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 600.7M 43.3M 526.9M 8% /system/

6.9G 5.3G 1.6G 77% /sdcard

in phones /data/app

# cd app

cd app

# ls

ls

jackpal.androidterm.apk

com.android.vending.apk

com.alk.copilot.apk

net.cactii.flash.apk

com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

com.mylittlebigapps.android.albumartgrabber.apk

and in sd/data/app

jackpal.androidterm.apk

com.android.vending.apk

com.alk.copilot.apk

net.cactii.flash.apk

com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

com.mylittlebigapps.android.albumartgrabber.apk

Edited by ed.dark

Guest hassand

i wiped my desire while rooting it

do i need to wipe it again to install a2sd?

if yes, for the future cases do i need to wipe it everytime i install something via recovery?

Guest afiorillo
I have 8GB card, I'm thinking to make 0 swap and 2048 ext2, and rest for fat32. Is this OK?

2048 MB ext2 is exaggerated. You can safely choose 512MB, even less (more than 130MB, of course!).

Guest afiorillo
does factory reset erase A2SD?

I don't know that for sure, but I think no. In my previous handset (an Hero) it didn't.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest d.code

It's kinda stange, I've installed A2SD with DALVIK-cache enabler, installed ten apps from store, had 140 MB before, now 134MB. Internal memory is still going down...

Guest nekromantik

yeah same here my internal memory going down too. :huh:

sucks

someone over on XDA said try re-partitioning the SD card.

Edited by nekromantik

Guest PaulW21781

It will still go down even with Dalvik moved across as per the update, BUT, if the Dalvik isn't moved, it goes down considerably quicker!!

Reason being /data/data still contains files for the apps. I have had a play with another build of the A2SD mod to move that over to the SD aswell... It did completely stop the phone storage going down, BUT, it introduced a rather interesting amount of problems, crashes and issues... So moving /data/data is not recommended at all. (now I see why it's commented in the A2SD script that its not to be moved)

So, the 6MB decrease in space d.code mentioned, its still considerably less compared to what it would be with either:

a.) A2SD not installed

b.) A2SD installed but without the Dalvik-Cache being moved

I've got about 40 apps installed on mine now, the internal phone space has only dropped around 14MB in total (so still have 123MB free), and the SD card is using 86MB now (58MB in /system/sd/app and 28MB in /system/sd/dalvik-cache)

/system/sd/app-private appears to remain empty for me :| not that I'm complaining lol!

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest ed.dark
It will still go down even with Dalvik moved across as per the update, BUT, if the Dalvik isn't moved, it goes down considerably quicker!!

Reason being /data/data still contains files for the apps. I have had a play with another build of the A2SD mod to move that over to the SD aswell... It did completely stop the phone storage going down, BUT, it introduced a rather interesting amount of problems, crashes and issues... So moving /data/data is not recommended at all. (now I see why it's commented in the A2SD script that its not to be moved)

So, the 6MB decrease in space d.code mentioned, its still considerably less compared to what it would be with either:

a.) A2SD not installed

b.) A2SD installed but without the Dalvik-Cache being moved

I've got about 40 apps installed on mine now, the internal phone space has only dropped around 14MB in total (so still have 123MB free), and the SD card is using 86MB now (58MB in /system/sd/app and 28MB in /system/sd/dalvik-cache)

/system/sd/app-private appears to remain empty for me :| not that I'm complaining lol!

Paul, why do some of us not have this experience? I used the Dalvik update and my storage is down to 65mb now! I checked a2sd is working as per my post above but the phone seems to fill up as quickly as the sd card does. Weird.....

Guest PaulW21781
Paul, why do some of us not have this experience? I used the Dalvik update and my storage is down to 65mb now! I checked a2sd is working as per my post above but the phone seems to fill up as quickly as the sd card does. Weird.....

Can you do

#ls -l /data

in an ADB shell?? (just plug the USB lead in and select HTC Synd, then go into ADB shell and issue that command...

Is a bit weird your space is so low, especially after putting A2SD on...

**edit**

I noticed your mappings looked wrong (well... it wasn't listing as /system/sd for mmcblk0p2) ?? Did you trim them?? Should be similar to this...

paulw@aspire:~/Programming/android-sdk-linux_86/tools$ sudo ./adb shell

# ls -l /data && busybox df -h

...trim...

lrwxrwxrwx root	 root			  2010-04-28 22:26 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

lrwxrwxrwx root	 root			  2010-04-28 22:26 app -> /system/sd/app

...trim...

lrwxrwxrwx root	 root			  2010-04-29 10:46 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache

...trim...

Filesystem				Size	  Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs				   199.2M		 0	199.2M   0% /dev

tmpfs					 4.0M		 0	  4.0M   0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock3	250.0M	220.8M	 29.2M  88% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5	147.6M	 28.3M	119.3M  19% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4	 40.0M	  2.6M	 37.4M   7% /cache

tmpfs					 8.0M	  6.2M	  1.8M  77% /app-cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	915.1M	 75.6M	790.7M   9% /system/sd

2.7G	508.2M	  2.2G  19% /sdcard

#

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest PaulW21781
@ PaulW21781 could you make A2SD update wchich would move data/data do SD as well?

tnx

BR

I could but I'd rather not make it public, as like I said, it made the phone pretty damn unstable when I was running through it. Had to re-partition the SD card, completely re-flash the root rom & then re-install A2SD-Dalvik to get it all working again.

Guest d.code
I could but I'd rather not make it public, as like I said, it made the phone pretty damn unstable when I was running through it. Had to re-partition the SD card, completely re-flash the root rom & then re-install A2SD-Dalvik to get it all working again.

OK, you're the man :huh:

BTW this is mine situation:

BTW this is my situation:

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 199.2M 0 199.2M 0% /dev

tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock3 250.0M 221.2M 28.8M 88% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5 147.6M 34.3M 113.3M 23% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 40.0M 3.9M 36.1M 10% /cache

tmpfs 8.0M 40.0K 8.0M 0% /app-cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 1.8G 62.2M 1.6G 4% /system/sd