Cyanogen ROM vs MODACO ROM?

Guest bakano

Guest bakano

So I've been using the Desire ROM on my Nexus since Alpha 13 or so. I'm not sure why, but my phone has started getting a little glitchy. I don't think it is a ROM issue, but I want to just flash a new one, and with Helix Launcher, I thought I may as well go back to a real Nexus ROM.

Now I have no idea what practical user differences would be between the Modaco custom ROM and Cyanogen's 5.0.6.

Any feedback is well appreciated =D

Guest argylesocks
So I've been using the Desire ROM on my Nexus since Alpha 13 or so. I'm not sure why, but my phone has started getting a little glitchy. I don't think it is a ROM issue, but I want to just flash a new one, and with Helix Launcher, I thought I may as well go back to a real Nexus ROM.

Now I have no idea what practical user differences would be between the Modaco custom ROM and Cyanogen's 5.0.6.

Any feedback is well appreciated =D

Check out Cyan's page for a full list of goodies he has put into his ROM.

However, the big differences FOR ME is that the Desire has exchange support for both mail & calendar. Cyan's has working bluetooth.

Guest bakano
Check out Cyan's page for a full list of goodies he has put into his ROM.

However, the big differences FOR ME is that the Desire has exchange support for both mail & calendar. Cyan's has working bluetooth.

that makes sense, thank you.

what about between modaco's custom nexus rom though? (not the desire) VS cyanogen's

Guest tasty

I ran modaco's for the first month and switch to cyanogen's earlier this week.

I'm still playing with it, but I notice two differences (assuming that modaco's is my base), 1) cyanogen's is faster/snappier to me. I used Helix 1 on both and I'd tip my hat to cyanogen's on response. Second, when I transition from 3g > edge, I seem to stall for about 30 seconds (without any connectivity) on cyanogen's and it didn't do that on the stock code. I'm still investigating that, just noticed it last night.

There are all sorts of fun things that he does in his code like the battery % and stuff, but the above are the two general differences I noticed.

Guest bakano
I ran modaco's for the first month and switch to cyanogen's earlier this week.

I'm still playing with it, but I notice two differences (assuming that modaco's is my base), 1) cyanogen's is faster/snappier to me. I used Helix 1 on both and I'd tip my hat to cyanogen's on response. Second, when I transition from 3g > edge, I seem to stall for about 30 seconds (without any connectivity) on cyanogen's and it didn't do that on the stock code. I'm still investigating that, just noticed it last night.

There are all sorts of fun things that he does in his code like the battery % and stuff, but the above are the two general differences I noticed.

another very helpful comment! thank you! =)

Guest Michael Perry
another very helpful comment! thank you! =)

One other thing I've noticed between the two. Battery life is decidedly different it seems to me. On the latest CyanogenMod 5.0.6, battery life seemed really bad. I installed an undervolted kernel along with setCPU and things are better now. The modaco r14 seems much easier on battery life. I don't have scientific comparisons to offer; but my observations are that CM is more battery hungry until you take some additional steps. I've tried a few of the undervolted kernels on XDA now. The one I am sticking with for now is IntersectRaven's.

Give it a try and let me know what you find.

Guest een625
One other thing I've noticed between the two. Battery life is decidedly different it seems to me. On the latest CyanogenMod 5.0.6, battery life seemed really bad. I installed an undervolted kernel along with setCPU and things are better now. The modaco r14 seems much easier on battery life. I don't have scientific comparisons to offer; but my observations are that CM is more battery hungry until you take some additional steps. I've tried a few of the undervolted kernels on XDA now. The one I am sticking with for now is IntersectRaven's.

If you are using cyanogen rom, make sure you try trackball wake, http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f62/tra...r-the-n1-32931/

Basically you can use the trackball to wake the screen, and if you do a double click on trackball, you unlock the phone immediately.

For me this is the best mod of all, as I dont have to reach all the way to the power and then swipe the screen to wake the screen.

You just flash the mod above after you flash the cyanogen rom

Guest bakano

you guys are lighting up my life lol.

@Michael Perry :: Thank you!! So from what you're telling me, I'm going to try out cyanogen's...and I"m going to check out some undervolting stuff and I've previously purchased setCPU, so I'll check that out also.

@een625 :: thank YOU too =) lol. I'm going to install cyanogen's AND check out this mod

muchas gracias!

Guest tasty

On the flip side, I don't notice any difference between modaco 2.1 (not the recent r releases) and cyanogen 5.0.6. I'm still ending the day with comparable battery. One may drain more then the other, but I'm not noticing or being affected by it. (ymmv of course)

Guest techlogik

I am in the same boat as others, I really need the Exchange full support. The Desire Roms are great for that.

I have used several, R21, King etc...they are all pretty good. I think I am running KingNexxus Desire or something like that now, very good so far, stable, and does all I need.

After using the Desire ROM (r14 to r21), Cyanogen (5.0.4-5.0.6) and finally the Modaco stock ROM, I think I'm settling on the Modaco Stock ROM.

Why?

- Desire isn't production-ready yet on the Nexus one, not until we get the kernel source

- Cyanogen has a lot of goodies, but dunno, it's too much "hacker"-style; by that I mean there's too much stuff added to make it the ultimate ROM, some might like that, I was always annoyed after a while at all the options lol.. I want my phone to work, not be a hacker's dream

So finally I tried MCR Stock, and loved it. It was like my Nexus when I first got it, except had more available RAM, tethering, and other goodies... And I could use bluetooth, my headset to control music, widgets and apps that I bought, etc. Felt good again, and it was snappy.

sns

Guest Rafoolik
If you are using cyanogen rom, make sure you try trackball wake, http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f62/tra...r-the-n1-32931/

Basically you can use the trackball to wake the screen, and if you do a double click on trackball, you unlock the phone immediately.

For me this is the best mod of all, as I dont have to reach all the way to the power and then swipe the screen to wake the screen.

You just flash the mod above after you flash the cyanogen rom

i dont understand, i also have trackballwake and the double tap thing doesnt work for me. i can only wake the screen not unlock it. plus i read nothing that suggests that from the link you provided.

Guest justajason

One thing I noticed on cyano's rom versus mcr was battery. Liked the feel and aps2sd. Didn't like the battery drain. So I flashed intersectraven's kernel and the battery life got a lot better. I've also noticed that my n1 shows an H instead of 3g. Probably from the rom. And my reception got better. Seemed to not jump around so much. Hope this helps ya out. I'm a novice too.