27/May r3.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.1 / Eclair)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Golgo

Please - Paul or anyone - explain to us (preferably step by step) how to apply the dalvik cache mod.

I've tried all sorts of ways now and I fail every time :P

Guest lambrospower

can i use this as the rom to root my DESIRE ??? i have an unrooted one and i am gonna root it tomorrow....i want to know if i can use this rom instead of the default rootedupdate.zip

Guest Paul

Update: Due to increasing load on the kitchen server, we have ordered a new machine ('Delia') that is currently being commissioned. We hope to bring this online as soon as possible, and with an unmetered, dedicated 100MB connection, download speeds should significantly improve. Thank you for your patience!

Guest xmassacre

Just to give some input on errors and such, here are the problems i encounter after flashing a custom cooked rom:

-Remaining memory is >80mb (should be fixed in r2 due to moving of dalvik-cache)

-Market is VERY slow and after installing the 'Downloads'-list in the market still keeps the installed programs on top of the list like it is installing at that exact moment and won't revert back to normal until reboot (programs can be started as usual and the notification says the program is installed)

-The sync-icon on top next to the clock won't go away like it's syncing constantly

paul: keep up the good work and really looking forward to r2 :P

Guest ascito
Please - Paul or anyone - explain to us (preferably step by step) how to apply the dalvik cache mod.

I've tried all sorts of ways now and I fail every time :P

The same here...If I save the the file linked without extension, then I place it in sdk/tools folder, put device in bootloader (the one with red triangle) and issue Paul instruction, it fails. Here it is the output:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell mount system && adb push 02cachedalvikcac

he /system/etc/init.d/

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

failed to copy '02cachedalvikcache' to '/system/etc/init.d/': Is a directory

If I save it as txt. it installs but nothing happens...

Help please.

Edited by ascito

Guest Tuborgmann

Any progress on getting the stock 2.1 messaging app to work? Also would the stock 2.1 lockscreen be possible as an option. :P

Guest Smeagolly

Hey everyone : )

I tried flashing r1 a few hours back. got into recovery and ran the .zip. Under the flashing sequence something went wrong, do not know what. So after that I have no chance of getting into recovery again, all i get is "device not found". Have tried both on my mac and my computer, same deal! Also, when trying to get into recovery from my win comp. it ask me to install drivers for "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies msm". Tried googling for drivers, but havent found anything useful.

Some more info; if i wait for a while, i do get into Android.. BUT when plugging in the microUSB-cable nothing happens, doesnt even show that it is charging!

I have no idea of what I'm supposed to do, so I hope some of you guys could help me out : )

Edit: Also, doesn't recognize that there is a SD card in it!

Think I have seriously f'ed up my Desire : /

Edited by Smeagolly

Guest jdouce

does the cache script move the dalvi-cache /system/sd/cache or just /cache?

and if u want to acess the sd card ext3 partition easily jsut select USB-MS in recovery mode and it monunts the ext3 and Fat aprtitions as 2 seperate USB MASS STORAGE (linux only)

Edited by jdouce

Guest schlehmil
i can't flash the custom rom made with online kitchen :P

Deleting files...

E:Can't chown/mod /system/xbin/dropbear

(no such file or directory)

E:Failure at line 357

set_perm 0 0 04755 SYSTEM:xbin/dropbear

Installation aborted

Same problem here. dropbear is missing from custom roms. compared with prebuild rom that contains dropbear binary in system/xbin. Paul could you fix this please.

Guest munkimatt
Same problem here. dropbear is missing from custom roms. compared with prebuild rom that contains dropbear binary in system/xbin. Paul could you fix this please.

I'm getting this too.

Guest BustedFly

Have a question about: Titanium Backup and Google Maps.

Have bought a Plus AC and then I tinkered a Rom where Titanium Backup and Google Maps was selected and some others.

Unfortunately, I think these programs are not on the phone. :P :D

Where is the problem? When you create or flash?

Under Options Expert is still a Radio Rom. Do I need this when creating the Rom???

Edited by BustedFly

Guest schlehmil

Just ran a directory diff on prebuild and custom rom:

$ diff -q -r r1-desire-modacocustomrom-signed-MD5-0a5957f64b822e125f2b1aa20f083049/ r1-desire-modacocustomrom-withoutadditions-signed/
Only in r1-desire-modacocustomrom-withoutadditions-signed/data: dropbear
Only in r1-desire-modacocustomrom-withoutadditions-signed/system/xbin: dropbear[/codebox]

Guest Golgo

OK. I finally managed to get Paul's dalvikcache hack onto my device. Sweet, I thought. Not so sweet as it turns out.

Rebooted phone and now I get a barrage of "Sorry! This and that crashed", among them "android.process.acore".

Paul - really like it if you would weigh in on this.

I already have A2SD installed and (seemingly) working if that makes a difference.

Guest murdoch1
I'm getting this too i can't flash the custom rom made with online kitchen sad.gif

Deleting files...

E:Can't chown/mod /system/xbin/dropbear

(no such file or directory)

E:Failure at line 357

set_perm 0 0 04755 SYSTEM:xbin/dropbear

Installation aborted.

Same here...........

Edited by murdoch1

Guest schlehmil
Just ran a directory diff on prebuild and custom rom:

$ diff -q -r r1-desire-modacocustomrom-signed-MD5-0a5957f64b822e125f2b1aa20f083049/ r1-desire-modacocustomrom-withoutadditions-signed/
Only in r1-desire-modacocustomrom-withoutadditions-signed/data: dropbear
Only in r1-desire-modacocustomrom-withoutadditions-signed/system/xbin: dropbear[/codebox]

1. Added missing dropbear files/directories to custom rom from prebuild rom.

2. Re-signed custom rom.

3. Flashed successfully!

(4) quietly brilliant bootscreen is now quiet^^

Guest guitarfreak

Mine says device or resource is busy when i try to do the mount & push.. thats while im in recovery too!

Guest schlehmil
OK. I finally managed to get Paul's dalvikcache hack onto my device. Sweet, I thought. Not so sweet as it turns out.

Rebooted phone and now I get a barrage of "Sorry! This and that crashed", among them "android.process.acore".

Paul - really like it if you would weigh in on this.

I already have A2SD installed and (seemingly) working if that makes a difference.

Same problem here with app2sd+dalvik and kittchen rom. :-/

Another thing. I am surprised that the "Facebook" option in the kittchen also removes the HTC Facebook integration. I thought it would only remove the native Facebook client. Paul could you distinguish between both in your kittchen please?