How necessary is class 6 micro SD?

Guest Need_A_Username

Guest Need_A_Username

Hi, I'll receive my Desire next week, but I don't have a descent SD card yet

I was wondering, how hard do you notice the difference between a class 6 and a class 2 ?

I guess the only time it matters is wen using A2SD, right?

Greetz,

Guest afiorillo

As my experience, it's not a matter of "class", it's a matter of *quality*. A good Class2 card acts just like (or better than) a bulk Class4 one.

The drawback of a poor card? General slowdown of the device, even spare FCs in worst cases. A2SD+ suffers more than A2SD.

If your ROM doesn't have A2SD in any flavour, a bulk Class2 card will be enough.

Guest potter97
Hi, I'll receive my Desire next week, but I don't have a descent SD card yet

I was wondering, how hard do you notice the difference between a class 6 and a class 2 ?

I guess the only time it matters is wen using A2SD, right?

Greetz,

Hiya,

Class 6 is obviously better as it has a higher transfer rate.

Im using the 4gb class2 card that came with the phone, with apps2sd and so far no problems.

If i was to get another card tho i would make sure its class 6, just to make sure the cards not going to slow down my phone :)

Guest scotch whisky
Hiya,

Im using the 4gb class2 card that came with the phone, with apps2sd and so far no problems.

If i was to get another card tho i would make sure its class 6, just to make sure the cards not going to slow down my phone :)

I'm using at 8GB Class 6. The difference between the supplied 4GB Class 2 and this is very noticeable when using A2SD+. I wouldn't consider anything less than a Class 6 card if using A2SD+.

Edited by scotch whisky

Guest Alex Buga

I bought a Class 6 8GB card and it's definitely faster then the stock 4GB class 2 that came with my Nexus.

You can see the difference when loading pictures in the Gallery, and when copying massive ammounts of data on the card.

Guest Need_A_Username

Sounds like it's worth the money then :)

I'll probably put on Paul's rom right away.

I didn't know there were different types of A2SD, any idea wich one's on MCR?

Thx already for the quick response!

Guest foxmeister

Class 6 has a higher *minimum guaranteed" data transfer rate, and that is only that it has a sustained write speed of 6mb/s or better.

My 16gb Sandisk Class 2 has a sustained write speed of 7.5mb/s (i.e. higher than the class 6 minimum) and the sustained read speed is over 20mb/s - which is also slightly faster than my 8gb Transcend Class 6 card (write speed around 14mb/s).

The point is that the class of the card does not actually tell you how fast it is - it just tells you how slow it isn't! :)

Whilst my Class 6 card writes at almost twice the speed of my Class 2 card (14mb/s vs 7.5 mb/s), the most important operation is reading (even with Apps2SD since you only write the APK once!), and both cards read at over 20mb/s. The write speed tends to be more important for digital cameras/video cameras where a guaranteed minimum speed is required for writing.

Regards,

Dave

Guest scotch whisky

A class 2 card will work and work well in the Desire. A class 6 card will generally be faster and some operations are noticably faster particularly those operations which require writes. As an example when first booting a new ROM with A2SD+ my supplied Class 2 card takes approximately 3 minutes whereas the class 6 card takes less than 30 seconds. The same sort of differences occur when making backups and when loading MP3 files. A class 2 card is not essential but a class 6 is just quicker when write operations are involved.

Having said that I have a class 2 card which actually writes at class 6 speeds. As someone said "The class determines the minimum speed not the maximum"

Guest ascito
Having said that I have a class 2 card which actually writes at class 6 speeds. As someone said "The class determines the minimum speed not the maximum"

How can it be?

Guest afiorillo
How can it be?

Matter of quality, as I said in my previous post. Take two 10 Mbps DSL lines, one costs €9,99/month while the other €199,99/month: where's the difference? Obviously in the minimum guaranteed bandwidth.

Let's say it in this way: buying a Class6 memory card guarantees you that you'll going to buy just ONE card and be happy; with Class2 ones, you'll probably have to try out many cards before finding one with the required performance levels.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest Need_A_Username
Matter of quality, as I said in my previous post. Take two 10 Mbps DSL lines, one costs €9,99/month while the other €199,99/month: where's the difference? Obviously in the minimum guaranteed bandwidth.

Let's say it in this way: buying a Class6 memory card guarantees you that you'll going to buy just ONE card and be happy; with Class2 ones, you'll probably have to try out many cards before finding one with the required performance levels.

And is it a matter of luck with the card, or is it just buying a good brand?

Guest MacCarron

Well i'd say it's mostly about the brand and the specific product itself. If you buy randomly without paying attention to either, then it becomes a matter of luck ;). I guess in the end it also depends on how picky one is...I hate waiting for a lot of time when transferring data so i got myself a 16Gb class 10 card. I find it worth every cent, others might say i'm nuts :)

Guest Need_A_Username
Well i'd say it's mostly about the brand and the specific product itself. If you buy randomly without paying attention to either, then it becomes a matter of luck ;). I guess in the end it also depends on how picky one is...I hate waiting for a lot of time when transferring data so i got myself a 16Gb class 10 card. I find it worth every cent, others might say i'm nuts :)

Haha, the problem is, I love speed too, but my little amount of money doesn't (only 17y :D)

Guest FrancisFuku

Actually, in France, where I live, the price are roughly the same between a class 2, a class 4 and a class 6, ie ~20 € for 8 GB. What's different is the availability of the class 6 cards.

As for the necessity of a class 6, I don't think it's really necessary : for the standard A2SD, a class 2 is enough (I had a SanDisk 8 GB class 2, and my Desire worked like a charm), and even though it's recommended to have at least a class 4 for A2SD+ (that's what the guys over xda recommend), it's more a "safety" measure : as you can see with the previous replies, many people run A2SD+ with a class 2 without any problem or any slowdowns. I don't think you'll see any big differences on your phone with a class 6.

Guest Need_A_Username

Thanks for al the replies!

I think I'll just try out A2SD+ with the 4gb card that comes with it. If it works good, I'll just buy a calls 2 ^^

Otherwise, I'll save some money for a class 6 :-)

Guest MacCarron
Thanks for al the replies!

I think I'll just try out A2SD+ with the 4gb card that comes with it. If it works good, I'll just buy a calls 2 ^^

Otherwise, I'll save some money for a class 6 :-)

Seems the most reasonable choice ;). The stock card is quite good actually, perhaps you might notice some hiccups if you use something like tomtom etc etc, create huge mp3 playlists or browse a gigantic photo album, but everything else should be just fine. Being a little patient when moving stuff from and to your pc :)

Guest potter97
I'm using at 8GB Class 6. The difference between the supplied 4GB Class 2 and this is very noticeable when using A2SD+. I wouldn't consider anything less than a Class 6 card if using A2SD+.

See im using the 4GB card class 2 that came with the phone, i have NO slowdowns or forcecloses.

In fact its been absolutly fine, no problems at ALL.

So @ Need_a_Username just use your class 2 4GB for now m8, its fine.

Only if you want to be really anel about it should you get one.

And for the price if it dose kill the 4gb card just replace it!! lol. its still quite cheep.

I remember a year ago i bought a 8GB class 6 of ebay (Scandisk) for £11.98 so it was a bargain!, but sold it with my phone.

Guest Need_A_Username

Anyone heard from the brands "Team" or "iSynapse" when I look on ebay I find a lot of class 6 16gb cards for 40 euro's, buty they're from those brands. But I don't know if I can trust that :)

Edited by Need_A_Username

Guest FrancisFuku
How can it be?

I have 2 micro SD cards : one SanDisk class 2 (and I'm sure it's class 2, as there is the C2 on the card), so a "slow" card from a renowned manufacturer, and one Silicon Power class 4 (with the C4 on the card), so a faster card from a unknown manufacturer (at least, I didn't know this make). I did several writing tests, and every time, the SanDisk C2 was faster than the C4 : with the SanDisk, I achieve ~3 MB/sec, while with the other one, I only achieved ~2 MB/sec.

So as afiorillo said, it's also a matter of quality : I did the mistake of only judging the speed of an sd card by its class, without paying any attention to the make of the card.

Guest 1immortal

out off topic.

where can i buy sd card class 6 ,16GB with shipping to israel, and i'm not talking about ebay, there are to many fake cards!

greetz :)

Guest Need_A_Username
out off topic.

where can i buy sd card class 6 ,16GB with shipping to israel, and i'm not talking about ebay, there are to many fake cards!

greetz :)

I think you better put this in your own topic, think you'll get more reply's ;-) Don't know it myself sorry

maybe amazon ships to israel?

Guest afiorillo
[...] What's different is the availability of the class 6 cards. [...]

Oh, you're so right. I twitted about that some days ago, linking the only site I found shipping a Class 6 16 GB MicroSD that is barely branded.

Here it is: http://bit.ly/atAc16 (only 3 left in stock!)

Edited by afiorillo